Sponsored by:

new M3 drive you to the 911?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 01:21 AM
BCgeorgia
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default new M3 drive you to the 911?

Question: Who else was recently lead/driven to the 911 because of the new "face only a mother could love" polarizing G80 M3 design?

Background:
I've been a long time BMW admirer and got my first a few years back (m sport model, not full M). I wasn't sure if luxury/sports cars would be my bag, but consider myself now hooked. I was excited/committed to get into a new M3 or M2 for my next car in 2yrs, but I find the front of the G8X cringe worthy... and initial pics of the upcoming M2 (+ already released new 2 series design) aren't much better. In general, BMW's whole new design approach is a huge turn off. I actually spent ~6mo lamenting this and trying to acclimate to the new designs, but to no avail. Long story short, I started considering all other cars and have now firmly fixated on a 911. Sticker shock initially made me hesitant, but the combo of looks, performance, and reliability have me even more excited than I was in the past for an M3/M2. My current plan is to either get on a waitlist in a year for a new 992... or wait 2yrs and either buy a used 992/991.2 (this will be a 3rd car, so exact timing isn't critical). Hopefully the 911 market chills out a little by then.

For an interesting (or cringe worthy?) read, check out this post I made on bimmerpost. I (naively) was hoping to start a conversation about this topic on their G80X m3/4 forum with other conflicted enthusiasts, but that was a mistake. Mostly I got massively flamed by G8X owners, many who don’t even seem to acknowledge how polarizing the design is at best. I'm sure there were readers/lurkers who shared my feelings, but knew better than to post.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1870823

Last edited by BCgeorgia; 01-13-2022 at 02:10 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by BCgeorgia:
GrussGott (01-15-2022), IRunalot (01-15-2022), mdrobc1213 (01-18-2022), TheStanman (01-13-2022)

Popular Reply

01-13-2022, 10:59 AM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

The new M3/M4's spirit animal.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:31 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,924 Likes on 4,837 Posts

I like the way the G8X M3/4 looks, and drives. More importantly, I really like the way the new M3/4 drives. Even with the slushbox.

All that said, no one should really be cross-shopping an M3/4 with a 992 911, or any 911.

For one, the 991 costs quite a bit more (at least ~30-50k more depending on configuration).

If the looks of the M3/4 did in fact "drive you to the 911" then you shouldn't have been in the market for the M3/4 to begin with.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
detansinn (01-13-2022), M3Inline6 (01-15-2022), mashoutposse (01-21-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 02:00 AM
Thescout13
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes, it did. Not going back and keeping my F80 M3CS forever.
The following 3 users liked this post by Thescout13:
GrussGott (01-15-2022), mdrobc1213 (01-18-2022), woobiee (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 02:32 AM
rouxeny
Pro

Received 396 Likes on 195 Posts

I grew up as an M3 fanboy. Owned an E93 M3, and now an OG M2.

I can’t get over the looks of the new M3. I know it’s apparently an amazingly dynamic car. And that I’m judging a book by the cover. But I can’t help it. It just doesn’t look right. I suppose I also don’t like most of the interior options, there’s just something a little too garish and over the top about the interior.

The M5 looks a bit better so all hope is not lost.

I considered keeping the M2 when the C2S comes as it’s become fairly well considered in the M lineage, even without it’s “real” S engine. It is a very fun car, but I know after the 992 gets a spot in the garage, I’ll likely very rarely drive it.

Edit: Read the thread you posted. Some good points made. Maybe over time I’ll grow to like the new look more.

Last edited by rouxeny; 01-13-2022 at 02:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 03:23 AM
Mr Bean
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I like the way the G8X M3/4 looks, and drives. More importantly, I really like the way the new M3/4 drives. Even with the slushbox.

All that said, no one should really be cross-shopping an M3/4 with a 992 911, or any 911.

For one, the 991 costs quite a bit more (at least ~30-50k more depending on configuration).

If the looks of the M3/4 did in fact "drive you to the 911" then you shouldn't have been in the market for the M3/4 to begin with.
I disagree. You can cross shop anything. Maybe, you drove BMW all your life and your financial situation changed and you are looking and comparing what else is out there? Maybe you just retired and moved out to the country and looking for a sports car - in a discretionary spending situation the price may not be super relevant. There are countless scenarios.

By the way, I know it is totally a personal opinion, but I don’t like the front (or the rear for that matter) of the latest generation M3. I used to drive an M3 in the 90’s and I liked those. 😀

Last edited by Mr Bean; 01-13-2022 at 03:28 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mr Bean:
GrussGott (01-15-2022), mdrobc1213 (01-18-2022), Porsched (01-13-2022), Skarz (01-14-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 03:46 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,894 Likes on 771 Posts

I was looking at getting a G82 M4 to replace my F80 M3. I wanted a sporty, low-slung 2 door manual sports car as something different from my M3 sedan. I loved the look of the M4 concept and also like how G8x M3s and M4s look so no, the G8x M's front end did not drive me to Porsche. Ultimately, I got a Porsche because the M4s have grown gigantic in size and I realized a G82 M4 would feel nothing like a low-slung 2 door sports car. When I looked for other manual transmission sports car options, the only real choice left was Porsche. C8 Corvette? No manual and huge ADMs and waitlists. Mustang Camaro or Challenger? LOL. BRZ/FRS? Too slow. M2 Comp? Too much like my M3 and a generation old. Aston Martin Vantage? Intriguing. Looks damn good but too big and with questionable reliability. Lotus Emira? Now we're talking! Unfortunately, I already paid my $5K deposit and locked in my build when the Emira was announced. Plus, it's vapor ware at this time and who knows when the cars will get released and become available?

If the Lotus Emira, 992 S, Cayman GTS 4.0 and GT4 were all available to me right now for MSRP, I'd get the Lotus. That car looks outstanding and I imagine it would have a very light and sporty feel with similar acceleration as a 992 S:

The following 2 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
reddsektor (01-13-2022), Steve 96C4S (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 04:28 AM
undersky2
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

New m3/4 look awesome and different. M2 looks like a Kia. I personally chose 992 over m3 because it’s too big and GT of a car not a sports car. 992 is also less common (still plenty) where I live (sf)

one thing I love about the new m3/4 is the green color. Oh man the same color on a 992 would cost 10k.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:58 AM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 241 Likes on 147 Posts

This was me in a nut shell about 18 months ago.
didn’t need the M5 or an 5 series sized car any more, new M3/4 cars just looked horrible and the weight! Didn’t want to go down the M2 route, much to “boy racer” for my tastes.

Wife had placed a Macan order, booked me a 992 test drive and instantly I was hooked! This was around mid 2020. Took delivery Jan 2021.

Apart from the rattles I’m very happy with it. Keep contemplating a Turbo S order but it’s a 2 year wait at the moment in the UK so that’s not happening.

The following 2 users liked this post by mrmichaelsankey:
mdrobc1213 (01-18-2022), rhk118 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 06:08 AM
992uk
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

I reckon people cross shop on a much wider basis then those of us who spend time on car forums probably understand. I'm getting out of a Maserati Granturismo as my special car as the kids have grown up and I do not need spacious rear seats.I have had an M3 coupe before and would consider an M4 coupe but I will not step into the showroom, not just because of the nose but the also the rear styling which is very unresolved.

Here in the UK, the M3/M4 depreciates about the same amount of cash as a base 911 despite the former being cheaper as you say. The 911 looks great and has a wonderful image and the base model is plenty fast enough for me.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:59 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

I'm literally cross-shopping a 992 GTS and a G80 M3.

Everyone's life situation is different and it changes. As crazy as it sounds, for me my catalyst was I lost my dog a few months ago. For many, that would be a significant event, but not life-changing. Maybe at the time I didn't realize it, but in hindsight- for me it actually was.

To keep it concise, suffice to say my dog was very special to me. I work from home, so it's not too much of a stretch to say even without last year's lockdowns I spend virtually all of my waking hours hanging out with my dog. So when he unexpectedly was taken from me, I didn't handle it well.

I may have made some strange choices over the past few months that I maybe wouldn't have had this not happened. I don't know how else to explain it- but somehow I convinced myself that my perfectly great 991.2 7MT C2S wasn't working for me anymore. So I got in line for a 992 and traded it for an Audi RS5 Sportback, for reasons I'm still not completely sure I understand. I really wanted to drive an RS5 while I waited for the 992 I guess, and convinced myself financially that it made sense.

Where is all this going? Well, over the holidays we finally took a road trip to visit family. I decide to take the RS5. It was magical. I fit 4 adults (17 year old my height he counts as an adult), my other dog in a reasonably sized crate plus all our gifts and luggage and was actually comfortable.

So now that I'm actually getting another puppy soon, I'm REALLY having second thoughts on going back to a coupe. The added practicality in my situation, with 2 (maybe more someday) dogs that are now fully recognized as huge contributing factors to my overall livelihood, has me seriously measuring the M3 against my requirements. The added practicality of having the extra doors PLUS the driving dynamics appearing to fit quite nicely within the excellent road car RS5 and the focused sports car 911 seems like a reasonable compromise...

So yes. There are situations out there that warrant these types of conversations. I'll admit I've been dismissive of things like this in the past, but being in the position I'm in now makes me more open. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Anyway, back on topic- I've decided the grille is pretty much all bad but in dark colors it's tolerable. The overall design of the car isn't terrible, and it in fact looks fantastic from the rear (minus the M Performance exhaust, which looks ridiculous). My plan would be to get black or tanzanite blue- possibly adventurine red but I'd have to see it in person first.

The interior is actually REALLY a strong point for me. The sport buckets in particular. They look incredible, have received great reviews, and are fully adjustable. As a guy who was (still is?) very much on the fence about getting the LWBs in a 992 GTS but can't quite justify it for a car that will only do 2-5 track days a year, the sport buckets in the G8x are incredibly appealing.

Add in the fact that it's nearly half the cost of the GTS and I'm definitely not the richest guy on this forum, and you've got a compelling argument.
The following 4 users liked this post by manifold danger:
AlterZgo (01-13-2022), brainzito (01-13-2022), mdrobc1213 (01-18-2022), siberian (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 08:45 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,768 Likes on 2,897 Posts

When I was looking at a 992, I also considered the Audi R8 and the Honda NSX, but the 911 was a bucket list item and the back seats for the kiddos sealed the deal. There was also a brief period where I considered an Aston Martin Vantage.

Most Carrera S builds are double the MSRP of a BMW M3. The BMW option sheet is tiny in comparison to Porsche. Despite posts to the contrary, I remain unconvinced that people actually cross-shop the M3 and the 911. They’re different classes of experience and performance comparisons are superficial.

“I don’t like the design direction of the new Subaru WRX, so I got a 911”… yeah, that’s about as credible.

If you followed through and bought the Porsche, you got the 911, because you wanted a 911 and despite what you may have told your significant other, the M3/M4 was never really a contender.

A lot of former BMW owners eventually end up in a 911. I am one of them and a former BMWCCA member. I think that the brand has lost its way. On the plus side, I no longer have to fight people that the E46 was the last proper M3, because the market has spoken.
The following 3 users liked this post by detansinn:
AlterZgo (01-13-2022), mdrobc1213 (01-18-2022), rhk118 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 08:46 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 620 Likes on 250 Posts

There were many years I had both . The M3 was always the second car or the car my wife drove . 2011 was the last year for us . I felt that CMW's simp-ly lacked the refinement of Porsche and my wife graduated to wanting more space (from the Cayenne to several Macan GTS and Turbo) . I myself never was the primary M3 driver . I chose the 911 over it every time .. There just is no comparison . The driving characteristics are so different . In fact some M3 owners took awhile to adjust to a 911.. With the rear engine the car feels like its being pushed and the front wheels just steer . In contrast the M car has a front engine and in many was was more familiar to drivers. Since I always had both I looked at it much like speaking two languages . Its an instant fluency in both rather than a challenge with the new .
detansinn (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 09:07 AM
TN_3
Pro

Received 269 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Thescout13
Yes, it did. Not going back and keeping my F80 M3CS forever.
Same here! Keeping my M3CS and adding the 992 GTS.
mdrobc1213 (01-18-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 09:49 AM
inthesticks
Racer

Received 319 Likes on 118 Posts

The new M3/M4 front end makes my stomach turn. I'm not sure whose designing BMW's nowadays, but across the board they've managed to turn the design of once iconic autos into at best generic looking, and at worst head scratching.
rhk118 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 10:11 AM
Litigator
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I'm literally cross-shopping a 992 GTS and a G80 M3.

Everyone's life situation is different and it changes. As crazy as it sounds, for me my catalyst was I lost my dog a few months ago. For many, that would be a significant event, but not life-changing. Maybe at the time I didn't realize it, but in hindsight- for me it actually was.

To keep it concise, suffice to say my dog was very special to me. I work from home, so it's not too much of a stretch to say even without last year's lockdowns I spend virtually all of my waking hours hanging out with my dog. So when he unexpectedly was taken from me, I didn't handle it well.

I may have made some strange choices over the past few months that I maybe wouldn't have had this not happened. I don't know how else to explain it- but somehow I convinced myself that my perfectly great 991.2 7MT C2S wasn't working for me anymore. So I got in line for a 992 and traded it for an Audi RS5 Sportback, for reasons I'm still not completely sure I understand. I really wanted to drive an RS5 while I waited for the 992 I guess, and convinced myself financially that it made sense.

Where is all this going? Well, over the holidays we finally took a road trip to visit family. I decide to take the RS5. It was magical. I fit 4 adults (17 year old my height he counts as an adult), my other dog in a reasonably sized crate plus all our gifts and luggage and was actually comfortable.

So now that I'm actually getting another puppy soon, I'm REALLY having second thoughts on going back to a coupe. The added practicality in my situation, with 2 (maybe more someday) dogs that are now fully recognized as huge contributing factors to my overall livelihood, has me seriously measuring the M3 against my requirements. The added practicality of having the extra doors PLUS the driving dynamics appearing to fit quite nicely within the excellent road car RS5 and the focused sports car 911 seems like a reasonable compromise...

So yes. There are situations out there that warrant these types of conversations. I'll admit I've been dismissive of things like this in the past, but being in the position I'm in now makes me more open. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Anyway, back on topic- I've decided the grille is pretty much all bad but in dark colors it's tolerable. The overall design of the car isn't terrible, and it in fact looks fantastic from the rear (minus the M Performance exhaust, which looks ridiculous). My plan would be to get black or tanzanite blue- possibly adventurine red but I'd have to see it in person first.

The interior is actually REALLY a strong point for me. The sport buckets in particular. They look incredible, have received great reviews, and are fully adjustable. As a guy who was (still is?) very much on the fence about getting the LWBs in a 992 GTS but can't quite justify it for a car that will only do 2-5 track days a year, the sport buckets in the G8x are incredibly appealing.

Add in the fact that it's nearly half the cost of the GTS and I'm definitely not the richest guy on this forum, and you've got a compelling argument.
Nothing you said sounds "crazy." Family - including our furry ones - are far more important than any material thing. Your priorities sound exactly right to me.
The following 3 users liked this post by Litigator:
justabout (01-14-2022), lfish (01-14-2022), manifold danger (01-13-2022)

Quick Reply: new M3 drive you to the 911?