Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new M3 drive you to the 911?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022 | 08:04 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by detansinn
When I was looking at a 992, I also considered the Audi R8 and the Honda NSX, but the 911 was a bucket list item and the back seats for the kiddos sealed the deal. There was also a brief period where I considered an Aston Martin Vantage.

Most Carrera S builds are double the MSRP of a BMW M3. The BMW option sheet is tiny in comparison to Porsche. Despite posts to the contrary, I remain unconvinced that people actually cross-shop the M3 and the 911. They’re different classes of experience and performance comparisons are superficial.

“I don’t like the design direction of the new Subaru WRX, so I got a 911”… yeah, that’s about as credible.

If you followed through and bought the Porsche, you got the 911, because you wanted a 911 and despite what you may have told your significant other, the M3/M4 was never really a contender.

A lot of former BMW owners eventually end up in a 911. I am one of them and a former BMWCCA member. I think that the brand has lost its way. On the plus side, I no longer have to fight people that the E46 was the last proper M3, because the market has spoken.
Thos is similar to my experience. I’ve had many M3’s over the years, mostly E30 M3. Last M3 was an E46 CS. BMWCCA member for over a decade. Never was attracted to the new BMWs. Too heavy, not good looking compared to my E46 and depreciation is huge. I have always loved the 911 but kept putting it off over the years. The nail in the coffin was the complete lack of interest by BMW in supporting the E30 M3 with parts. My last one is now a garage queen as if something breaks, it game over. Compare that woth how Porsche supports it’s 911s and i decided it as time to male the switch. And very glad i did…
Old 01-15-2022 | 08:12 PM
67SSWT
Advanced

Two major factors in selecting and owning a sports car:
How they perform and how they look. Not many questions on the M3/4 performance.
However the fact that the BMW's appearance is so polarizing is telling. Maybe it was styled for new, non traditional or younger markets
Conversely I haven't heard many{or any} negatives on the 992 's appearance.
Old 01-15-2022 | 08:43 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Originally Posted by 67SSWT
Two major factors in selecting and owning a sports car:
How they perform and how they look. Not many questions on the M3/4 performance.
However the fact that the BMW's appearance is so polarizing is telling. Maybe it was styled for new, non traditional or younger markets
Conversely I haven't heard many{or any} negatives on the 992 's appearance.
Anecdotally that doesn’t necessarily seem to be the case since many G8X owners came from E46/E9X/F8X ///M cars. They’ve been around awhile and aren’t “new” to the brand.
Old 01-15-2022 | 09:56 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think we've exhausted the topic, unless there's some serious objections, I'm going to lock this thread now.

siberian
The following users liked this post:
M3Inline6 (01-15-2022)

Quick Reply: new M3 drive you to the 911?