Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new M3 drive you to the 911?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022 | 04:43 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sorcerer 11
For those that can't get past the front grills, I understand, but you are actually missing out on a fantastic car!
I bought a G82 M4 Xdrive beginning of September after seeing one in the metal about 6 months previously and testing it, although it was the two wheel drive version at the time. The grills look much better in real life and I now find I actually like the front end, even after having had an F82 M4 F80 M3 two E92 M3's previously which I liked, but this new one is on another level in comparison.
I bought this as a replacement for my 992 Turbo S which I found really uncomfortable with the 18 way seats. When speccing my G82 I ordered the carbon bucket seats after two extended test drives and found them really supportive and comfortable.
I know not everyone will agree with me and that's fine, but for me the M4 is superb and although I would have loved to have kept my turbo S as it really was a fantastic car, just not comfortable, I actually don't miss it and I now think the G82 is a more useable road car here in the UK with our crappy roads and potholes which would be a rather harsh ride in the TTS.
Enjoy it, sounds like you made the right choice for you.

Last edited by remington; 01-13-2022 at 04:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sorcerer 11 (01-16-2022)
Old 01-13-2022 | 04:55 PM
Mr Bean
Instructor

Originally Posted by russbert

So NOW we KNOW why there really is a 911 shortage; it's all of the BMW folks buying their 1st 911.
Mystery solved! We could have avoided the whole supply vs. demand thread. 😀
null (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022 | 05:15 PM
BCgeorgia
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
Mystery solved! We could have avoided the whole supply vs. demand thread. 😀
hah, I have been reading the relatively intense back and forth on that thread.

There's no question that the G8X M3/4 has driven some folks away from BMW, some of whom have settled on a 911. Who knows what that # actually is... but it wouldn't take a ton of folks to have a significant % change on the demand (given that the ~10k 911's sold in the US for 2021 is actually not a big # in the grand scheme of things).

I appreciate the posts and discussion so far. For the most part, folks have been open and reasonable, with only the occasional condescending post.

Last edited by BCgeorgia; 01-14-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2022 | 05:18 PM
The Pinkoboe
Instructor

I am a former F82 owner that was driven to Porsche by the introduction of the G8x models. I just could not get past the ugly grille, overall generic non-bmw styling, and the weight gain.

Overall I liked my F82, but my issue was the steering felt absolultely lifeless when driven around town. It came alive on the track, but at normal speeds on the road it provided no feedback and felt like a video game simulation. The reviews of the G82 did not seem to show any improvement in that area.

The 992 had just come out, was within my budget, and I liked it when I test drove one. However, the 718 GTS 4.0 was announced with a normally aspirated flat six, great steering, and overall analog feel. That is what I ended up with and now can't see myself going back to BMW.
mdrobc1213 (01-18-2022)
Old 01-13-2022 | 05:30 PM
LSM111
Instructor

The M3/M4 are nothing like a 911. I like the looks of the M3 in black Bc it hides the nose. It’s likely the best 4 door sports sedan on the market. Fast, relatively lightweight compared to its competition and has good room.

Even tho the 911 has become more user friendly it’s a sports car vs a GT.

i personally didn’t cross shop any BMW vs 911 as they drive completely differently.

Owned a F90 M5 and hated it. Fast in a straight line no feel, terrible steering and not tossable

If I were shopping for a 4 door sports sedan it would be a M3 but I’m not and therefore chose 911
Old 01-13-2022 | 05:37 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I'm literally cross-shopping a 992 GTS and a G80 M3.

Everyone's life situation is different and it changes. As crazy as it sounds, for me my catalyst was I lost my dog a few months ago. For many, that would be a significant event, but not life-changing. Maybe at the time I didn't realize it, but in hindsight- for me it actually was.

To keep it concise, suffice to say my dog was very special to me. I work from home, so it's not too much of a stretch to say even without last year's lockdowns I spend virtually all of my waking hours hanging out with my dog. So when he unexpectedly was taken from me, I didn't handle it well.

I may have made some strange choices over the past few months that I maybe wouldn't have had this not happened. I don't know how else to explain it- but somehow I convinced myself that my perfectly great 991.2 7MT C2S wasn't working for me anymore. So I got in line for a 992 and traded it for an Audi RS5 Sportback, for reasons I'm still not completely sure I understand. I really wanted to drive an RS5 while I waited for the 992 I guess, and convinced myself financially that it made sense.

Where is all this going? Well, over the holidays we finally took a road trip to visit family. I decide to take the RS5. It was magical. I fit 4 adults (17 year old my height he counts as an adult), my other dog in a reasonably sized crate plus all our gifts and luggage and was actually comfortable.

So now that I'm actually getting another puppy soon, I'm REALLY having second thoughts on going back to a coupe. The added practicality in my situation, with 2 (maybe more someday) dogs that are now fully recognized as huge contributing factors to my overall livelihood, has me seriously measuring the M3 against my requirements. The added practicality of having the extra doors PLUS the driving dynamics appearing to fit quite nicely within the excellent road car RS5 and the focused sports car 911 seems like a reasonable compromise...

So yes. There are situations out there that warrant these types of conversations. I'll admit I've been dismissive of things like this in the past, but being in the position I'm in now makes me more open. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Anyway, back on topic- I've decided the grille is pretty much all bad but in dark colors it's tolerable. The overall design of the car isn't terrible, and it in fact looks fantastic from the rear (minus the M Performance exhaust, which looks ridiculous). My plan would be to get black or tanzanite blue- possibly adventurine red but I'd have to see it in person first.

The interior is actually REALLY a strong point for me. The sport buckets in particular. They look incredible, have received great reviews, and are fully adjustable. As a guy who was (still is?) very much on the fence about getting the LWBs in a 992 GTS but can't quite justify it for a car that will only do 2-5 track days a year, the sport buckets in the G8x are incredibly appealing.

Add in the fact that it's nearly half the cost of the GTS and I'm definitely not the richest guy on this forum, and you've got a compelling argument.
I can definitely relate to your post.

I can't begin to tell you in over 30 years of being owned by Siberian Huskies how many friends I've lost and how we swore, that the next one would just be a "working dog" - yeah that lasted about 5 minutes. I had a 2015 RS5 which I just sold as I was never enamored with it; it was big, overweight and Audi's minimalist approach to data on engine etc. performance just killed it for me.

So waiting for the right moment to buy my 992 early last year, my kids (Siberians) have and will always be number one in our family - all are rescues or abandoned, and they need a dedicated ride. And that's the reason I will never sell my very highly modded V8 air suspension 2008 Touareg. That's reserved for camping, fishing, dog mobile and when roads are impassable. Beyond that, Olga takes over from there.

There are two kinds of dogs: Siberian Huskies and those that wish they were!

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 01-13-2022 at 05:39 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by siberian:
manifold danger (01-13-2022), mdrobc1213 (01-18-2022), The Pinkoboe (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022 | 05:58 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I was looking at getting a G82 M4 to replace my F80 M3. I wanted a sporty, low-slung 2 door manual sports car as something different from my M3 sedan. I loved the look of the M4 concept and also like how G8x M3s and M4s look so no, the G8x M's front end did not drive me to Porsche. Ultimately, I got a Porsche because the M4s have grown gigantic in size and I realized a G82 M4 would feel nothing like a low-slung 2 door sports car. When I looked for other manual transmission sports car options, the only real choice left was Porsche. C8 Corvette? No manual and huge ADMs and waitlists. Mustang Camaro or Challenger? LOL. BRZ/FRS? Too slow. M2 Comp? Too much like my M3 and a generation old. Aston Martin Vantage? Intriguing. Looks damn good but too big and with questionable reliability. Lotus Emira? Now we're talking! Unfortunately, I already paid my $5K deposit and locked in my build when the Emira was announced. Plus, it's vapor ware at this time and who knows when the cars will get released and become available?

If the Lotus Emira, 992 S, Cayman GTS 4.0 and GT4 were all available to me right now for MSRP, I'd get the Lotus. That car looks outstanding and I imagine it would have a very light and sporty feel with similar acceleration as a 992 S:

Why not both? I have a 992 and an Emira on order (and a vantage too!)

I like your taste in cars!
mdrobc1213 (01-18-2022)
Old 01-13-2022 | 06:08 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

I've exclusively owned M3/4 for the last two decades (E46/E92/F82/F82cs) as dual use daily drivers and track toys. The G82 got me to jump ship. And it's not only about the grill. From a looks standpoint, the side profile also foregoes many classic BMW design cues and looks bulky. I don't like the significantly added weight, switch from DCT to 8AT, the puny single piston rear calipers that require a laptop to do a pad swap (not very convenient track side paddocks) and the significant price hike here in Canada.
Old 01-13-2022 | 06:38 PM
Mr Bean
Instructor

Originally Posted by BCgeorgia
I appreciate the posts and discussion so far. For the most part, folks have been open and reasonable, with only the occasional condescending post.
You won’t have trouble finding folks on these boards agreeing with you that the M cars design is too outlandish. After all, we had a bit of an uprising when some years back Porsche decided to forgo the round headlights on the 911. Of course, that travesty was quickly fixed so the car looks virtually indistinguishable from the models of the last century to the untrained eye. 😀
Old 01-13-2022 | 06:46 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Nothing compared to the outcry of Jeep changing to square headlights or Coke (ONCE AGAIN) screwing with the "real" Coke or Coke Zero... So we're good, the two outer gauges are still invisible and the rear wiper still doesn't have a washer

siberian
Old 01-13-2022 | 08:52 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Even tho the 911 has become more user friendly it’s a sports car vs a GT.

i personally didn’t cross shop any BMW vs 911 as they drive completely differently.

Owned a F90 M5 and hated it. Fast in a straight line no feel, terrible steering and not tossable

If I were shopping for a 4 door sports sedan it would be a M3 but I’m not and therefore chose 911[/QUOTE]

Agree with this above regarding cross-shopping. Had a 2018 M3CS which was my Daily driver and my .2 GT3 was my weekend toy. I actually really like the design of the new M3 but needed a larger trunk and more room for Clients so the Dealership gave me an offer I could not refuse so I sold them back the M3 and now I have a 2021 M550I which is a perfect DD.

I also sold the GT3 a year ago and now waiting on a GTS Cabrio for my weekend toy.

But a 4 door BMW is no way close to a 911 but I am not saying that one is better than the other- just completely different
Old 01-13-2022 | 10:19 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

I don't know, it seems like the M3 went from attractive to ugly in the span of these 10 years. Shame...

Old 01-14-2022 | 01:12 AM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

To me, the only BMW worth owning these days is the M5. Yes, it’s big, but it’s a serious performer and still resembles a BMW of old (sort of).

Apart from the M5, BMW really has lost its way.
Old 01-14-2022 | 09:26 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
To me, the only BMW worth owning these days is the M5. Yes, it’s big, but it’s a serious performer and still resembles a BMW of old (sort of).

Apart from the M5, BMW really has lost its way.
Agreed, if my Mercedes was totaled, I would absolutely get this car... i'd to anything, to get this car.

"Best sedan on the planet, fast and with a soul"

The 2022 BMW M5 CS ($170,800 CAD as specced, ~$143,000 USD) is a blisteringly fast super sedan with some serious chops on the track. Thomas and James have a bit more to say about the M5 CS after their track test comparison with the Hellcat Redeye. How is it to live with? And could this be the best BMW on sale right now? Subscribe!! RELEVANT STATS: S63 4.4-liter twin turbo V8 627 horsepower and 553 ft-lbs of torque 7200 rpm redline All-wheel drive with available two-wheel drive mode Claimed 0-100 time of 3 seconds flat Tonnes of carbon fibre - 100kg lighter than regular M5
Old 01-14-2022 | 11:30 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sorcerer 11
For those that can't get past the front grills, I understand, but you are actually missing out on a fantastic car!
I bought a G82 M4 Xdrive beginning of September after seeing one in the metal about 6 months previously and testing it, although it was the two wheel drive version at the time. The grills look much better in real life and I now find I actually like the front end, even after having had an F82 M4 F80 M3 two E92 M3's previously which I liked, but this new one is on another level in comparison.
Congratulations on both your Turbo S and your G82 M4! I personally liked the polarizing front grille right from the start and assumed people would get used to it and many would actually start to like it or at least tolerate it. We saw this trend play out when Audi first came out with their huge shield grille and again when Lexus released their "predator" grille. Both were provocative, in your face designs that were trashed, then accepted. I think the difference today with respect to the G8x M's grille, is the more intense social media and car forum echo chambers we exist in where opinions are much more polarizing and are further amplified to the point where people are less open minded to change their perspectives. If you ask the general public who are not on car forums, I'm sure you will find people who like and don't like the styling, but not to the visceral point of hate that so many voice in some car forums. This is preventing some people from getting acclimated to the new design language.
Sorcerer 11 (01-14-2022)

Quick Reply: new M3 drive you to the 911?