Sponsored by:

New 992 - to PPF or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 10:27 AM
brainzito
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I took a close look at that photo . It looks like the car has PPF . Maybe its just the lighting but I see a bubble.
No PPF - it was my cayenne coupe, daily driver, ~30 miles/day, minimal I95 drive time between Aventura and South broward
Dealer took it in trade, full hood repaint and sold it in no time

I'm not trying to convince you or anybody here. For me, PPF is a must do do 911s and 718s.
I had Macans and that Cayenne coupe - I wouldn't PPF it

Last edited by brainzito; 03-22-2022 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-22-2022, 11:07 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 753 Likes on 394 Posts
Default Simply comes down to personal value

Lots of great input here

In almost 30 years of caring for Porsches, I’ve learned each person has a different value proposition…there is no one-size-fits-all

When I help a client choose if they’re a good candidate, and/or how much coverage to get, I ask two questions:

1. if you notice a chip, would you have a bad day?

2. if there’s a dent/chip/paint scrape on the panel, would you have a bad day?

Some will say YES to either one, and both individuals are great candidates for ppf

others would say, not really Moe, I bought the car to drive and enjoy and it won’t bother me at all…for this client, there’s just no value in ppf and we move on to ceramic coating options

so, in the end, the choice simply comes down to what YOUR specific needs/value proposition is, not anyone else’s 👍

find a reputable and experienced shop to work with, and once you connect with the right person, the choice really becomes easy as he/she will guide you through the journey

hope this helps
The following 3 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
Go Bruins (03-22-2022), icanthelpit (03-22-2022), rouxeny (03-24-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 11:52 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Lots of great input here

In almost 30 years of caring for Porsches, I’ve learned each person has a different value proposition…there is no one-size-fits-all

When I help a client choose if they’re a good candidate, and/or how much coverage to get, I ask two questions:

1. if you notice a chip, would you have a bad day?

2. if there’s a dent/chip/paint scrape on the panel, would you have a bad day?

Some will say YES to either one, and both individuals are great candidates for ppf

others would say, not really Moe, I bought the car to drive and enjoy and it won’t bother me at all…for this client, there’s just no value in ppf and we move on to ceramic coating options

so, in the end, the choice simply comes down to what YOUR specific needs/value proposition is, not anyone else’s 👍

find a reputable and experienced shop to work with, and once you connect with the right person, the choice really becomes easy as he/she will guide you through the journey

hope this helps
I have seen your work posted over the years . It is beautiful . It is true that I recall posting and seeing it as far back at 2009 when I posted on 6speedonline. I have bought 10 cars since then . None had PPF . Had I put a full body wrap on each car that would have eaten up the cost needed to but my incoming GTS (when added to my trade) . Its not personal but that would bother me more than any chip or dent on my former cars . Thus .. no PPF for me.
The following users liked this post:
MoeMistry (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 12:09 PM
macgom
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did get PPF on 2 vehicles in the past covering only the front bumper and hood.
When I peeled them off after about 3+ years, I was amazed that it looked like brand new car with almost no rock chip.
On my 992, I got PPF covering the whole body for $6000.
About a month after, I got a rock chip on the rear fender (called molar?) that went through the PPF and left a mark. (PPF installer removed factory installed PPF and put Xpel instead)
After seeing this, I'm not sure if money was well spent. If I were to decide on PPF again, I would definitely do the front bumper, front fender, hood, over the factory installed PPF and possibly rear bumper.
Old 03-22-2022, 12:24 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 601 Likes on 269 Posts

There is no right or wrong here and PPF is no magic. I did it for the first time with this 992 (full body wrap) and so far I enjoy the peace of mind and ease of hand washing without the concern of scratching the paint. At the end of my ownership I will know if I would do it gain.
Old 03-22-2022, 12:32 PM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by macgom
I did get PPF on 2 vehicles in the past covering only the front bumper and hood.
When I peeled them off after about 3+ years, I was amazed that it looked like brand new car with almost no rock chip.
On my 992, I got PPF covering the whole body for $6000.
About a month after, I got a rock chip on the rear fender (called molar?) that went through the PPF and left a mark. (PPF installer removed factory installed PPF and put Xpel instead)
After seeing this, I'm not sure if money was well spent. If I were to decide on PPF again, I would definitely do the front bumper, front fender, hood, over the factory installed PPF and possibly rear bumper.
Oof. That hurts to have had the PPF not do it's job on your 992.

I did a full PPF wrap on my 992. My installer suggested (and I did) a double-layer in the spots in front of the rear wheels where the factory film would normally be. We expanded the second layer's size a bit to cover the entire area in front of the wheel to just below the door handle height. This is giving more protection and far fewer exposed edges as we now wrap into the wheel well on one side and into the door opening on the front edge.

Last edited by brianja; 03-22-2022 at 01:43 PM.
peterdouglas (04-01-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 12:42 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by brianja

I did a full PPF wrap on my 992. My installer suggested (and I did) a double-layer in the spots in front of the rear wheels where the factory film would normally be. We expanded the second layer's size a bit to cover the entire area in front of the wheel to just below the door handle height. This is giving more protection and fare fewer exposed edges as we now wrap into the wheel well on one side and into the door opening on the front edge.
+1…2nd layer is quite beneficial and saves you $$ in long run from replacing the larger first layer
peterdouglas (04-01-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 12:45 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have seen your work posted over the years . It is beautiful . It is true that I recall posting and seeing it as far back at 2009 when I posted on 6speedonline. I have bought 10 cars since then . None had PPF . Had I put a full body wrap on each car that would have eaten up the cost needed to but my incoming GTS (when added to my trade) . Its not personal but that would bother me more than any chip or dent on my former cars . Thus .. no PPF for me.
Thanks for the support and appreciate the kind words

you’re doing what’s right for YOU and it’s paying off to bring you value and pleasure 👍

Kudos and congrats on the the new GTS
yrralis1 (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 12:48 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

There may be some who is this might be more suited for . I just got off the phone with a friend who lives in Chicago. He does it on all of his cars because his region is prone to salt, potholes, and the pebbles that are created when it’s warm outside resulting from the winter. I don’t have such a climate or condition. He just bought himself a CPO car and he’s having the film that was already on it removed because he’s not satisfied with the job that was done. He raised the issue that if I were to get it and put it on my car and it sits there baking in the sun during the day that the film basically would be baking into the car. I just can’t see a compelling reason to buy it for me. I did tell my first post on the thread that if I drove rush-hour or daytime traffic or took this car of the car to the track it would be more suitable .
Old 03-22-2022, 12:49 PM
macgom
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did a full PPF wrap on my 992. My installer suggested (and I did) a double-layer in the spots in front of the rear wheels where the factory film would normally be. We expanded the second layer's size a bit to cover the entire area in front of the wheel to just below the door handle height. This is giving more protection and fare fewer exposed edges as we now wrap into the wheel well on one side and into the door opening on the front edge.
This is what I thought to be the way to go but I wanted to listen to an expert, which turned out to be wrong.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:18 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

I wanted to update this thread . I discussed this topic with several here as well as various friends . I decided to call my detailer . He has never pressured me to do anything on my cars . I asked him what he thought . He expressed that he and his son have done cars which have come out so perfect that I would not regret the decision. After about 10 questions and many years of never doing it I decided o try it this time . I believe its a paint correction ,bumper , hood, fenders ,mirrors and finished off with ceramic .

As you can see I entered tis thread at about an 80 percent direction of saying no . The part that turned the corner is that years ago the material was so bad . I saw one disaster after another and it seems to have changed . I am hoping for the best .

Lastly .. to Moe - I think the most convincing part was.when you mentioned talking it out with my detailer .

I guess the only downside os that after all the waiting for my car I end up having to wait more while he does the PPF and detail .

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-23-2022 at 12:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by yrralis1:
brianja (03-23-2022), Swayze (04-04-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 10:53 AM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 268 Posts

I guess the only downside os that after all the waiting for my car I end up having to wait more while he does the PPF and detail .
I feel this! I picked up my car and had it for 6 days before I dropped it for PPF/ceramic for a week. It was hard to be separated after such a short time, but the peace of mind and final outcome was worth it.
yrralis1 (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 11:54 AM
German1967
Pro

Received 601 Likes on 269 Posts

I feel this! I picked up my car and had it for 6 days before I dropped it for PPF/ceramic for a week. It was hard to be separated after such a short time, but the peace of mind and final outcome was worth it.
Even worse in my case: my installer picked up my C2S Cabrio from the dealer. My only driving before PPF was out of the showroom into the parking lot ...
The following 2 users liked this post by German1967:
brianja (03-23-2022), Swayze (04-10-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 01:01 PM
supershaft
Racer

Received 293 Likes on 155 Posts

pass. not going to spend money to benefit the next owner that will give 0 return for my money
Old 03-23-2022, 02:58 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 444 Posts

I commute up and down the freeway daily and full ppl has saved me many times. Well worth the money!
Attached Images   
Tedster (05-14-2023)

Quick Reply: New 992 - to PPF or not ?