Sponsored by:

New 992 - to PPF or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 10:19 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Master Deep
Clearplex saved me 3 days later which picked up a big nick and saved my windshield. Ppf has saved me countless times. I would do full PPF and Clearplex again..
Glass is harder than plastic. Just because the plastic film was marked up by something doesn't mean the windshield itself would have been. You're far more likely to see nicks and knocks in a soft film than on the glass, or paint for that matter.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:11 AM
wannarun
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

I had the entire car wrapped in STEK. Honestly, I wouldn't do it again. Upon close inspection, you can see imperfections in the film from them working the film. The more you look the more you will see. It looks great at 5' away. I have a feeling it will start looking ragged in 3 years of DD duty.
Old 11-05-2021, 12:27 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 849 Likes on 433 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1237847-ppf-or-not.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1247018-ppf.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1199...tion-poll.html
Old 11-05-2021, 12:41 PM
Arsnlrob
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JiminyGlick
I've said it before and I'll say it again: PPF makes very little sense. People are falling prey to a completely made-up industry. The only people telling you about all that "soft paint" your car apparently left the factory dripping with are the same people trying to sell you something for that said soft paint. Get your car, use a good ceramic spray (more for the shine than protection) and do it yourself. Include your rims in this so that they will be easier to clean in the future. Don't go crazy with it, just get some Mothers CMX or something else you can apply in a day and then just enjoy the car.
My Ferrari has the softest paint known to man. I resisted PPF but then did paint correction and applied PPF after all the little rock chips became too much. My 991 is on it's second PPF. I made the mistake of doing partial hood which looked like crap after a few years. I did the full front and stone guards and it looks great now. My incoming 992 GTS will for sure get full front and A-pillars.
The following 2 users liked this post by Arsnlrob:
catdog2 (05-14-2023), elvisdoc (07-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2021, 12:55 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,275 Likes on 645 Posts

Never PPF for the next owner. Makes no sense.

I'm finally going to bite the bullet and order a black (non metallic) 911 because I've always wanted it in black. I will PPF the full car because I want to be able to let anybody wash it without worrying about swirl marks. car will stay much cleaner if I dont' have to stress about washing myself or having a top quality detailer touch it. On a non metallic paint I'd be more inclined to let a few rock chips show up and respray the bumper after a few years but I HATE swirly black paint so on this one it makes sense to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by slc4s:
Drew46 (11-05-2021), txpackers (11-06-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 02:31 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by wannarun
I had the entire car wrapped in STEK. Honestly, I wouldn't do it again. Upon close inspection, you can see imperfections in the film from them working the film. The more you look the more you will see. It looks great at 5' away. I have a feeling it will start looking ragged in 3 years of DD duty.
That's more likely a reflection (no pun intended) of the quality of the installer or the product used as opposed to damning the concept.
Old 11-05-2021, 04:18 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

I've never PPF'd any car - it's easier to touch up nicks in the paint then on PPF - which you can't even do, it just has to be replaced. All my cars look great with miles and years on them - much better than any PPF car does after 2 or 3 years. A little bit of care and time is all it takes. I would never buy a used Porsche (or any car) with PPF - they all have nicks, seems, corners that pull and gather grit, discoloration - you name it, seen it all. Yuck.
The following users liked this post:
djlynch (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 04:27 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
I've never PPF'd any car - it's easier to touch up nicks in the paint then on PPF - which you can't even do, it just has to be replaced. All my cars look great with miles and years on them - much better than any PPF car does after 2 or 3 years. A little bit of care and time is all it takes. I would never buy a used Porsche (or any car) with PPF - they all have nicks, seems, corners that pull and gather grit, discoloration - you name it, seen it all. Yuck.
...like the neighbor that had plastic covered couches when you were growing up.
The following 3 users liked this post by breny4104:
Chris Danusiar (02-12-2022), djlynch (11-05-2021), Rocket_boy (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 04:40 PM
djlynch
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by breny4104
...like the neighbor that had plastic covered couches when you were growing up.
i just took delivery of a 2022 Targa 4s and am skipping ppf. It’s black, doing ceramic coating that’s it. I dislike ppf as it ages and this car is a keeper.
Rocket_boy (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 04:45 PM
cwbrown
Racer

Received 344 Likes on 131 Posts

I"m on the fence on this one as well.
The guy from Obsessed Gage makes some good points pro and con.

He points out "your buying PPF for the next owner" He does however only keep his cars for a few years, where as mine will be "forever"......... I think.
May only go bumper cover and frunk.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:23 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by cwbrown
I"m on the fence on this one as well.
The guy from Obsessed Gage makes some good points pro and con.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElacSGehdzA

He points out "your buying PPF for the next owner" He does however only keep his cars for a few years, where as mine will be "forever"......... I think.
May only go bumper cover and frunk.
By his own admission, he lives in the middle of nowhere. When he drives, there's no one around. On a recent drive, he got enough chips to "lose sleep at night." He got half a dozen chips all at once. His main problem with PPF is that he's never needed it. The implication is that he would need it if he drove the car a lot and drove it on crowded roads. He'd also opt for it, perhaps, he was keeping his car more than 2-3 years. He also thinks PPF looks bad, shows seams, and hides the paint. None of that is true anymore, if you pay to get it done right, and use the latest product.
The following 2 users liked this post by Go Bruins:
catdog2 (05-14-2023), elvisdoc (07-06-2023)
Old 11-05-2021, 05:24 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Glass is harder than plastic. Just because the plastic film was marked up by something doesn't mean the windshield itself would have been. You're far more likely to see nicks and knocks in a soft film than on the glass, or paint for that matter.
that’s true it’s hard to tell if it would have cracked, but it’s dealt with 100s of large stones already without cracking again. I’ve had 5 cracked windshields replaced in the past 2 years for free in Florida. I tint my windshields so having to pay $250 every time I get a new windshield gets old. Not to mention the 14 week delay to get a new 992 windshield right now. I lost out on 3,000 miles of driving.

Originally Posted by Drew46
How is the ClearPlex in the rain? Do the wipers work better, worse, no real difference?
No need for wipers anymore above 50mph in anything but a heavy downpour. The wipers would catch a bit on the downstroke when I first got it but if I keep applying a sio2 coating after every wash it mitigates this issue.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:36 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,776 Likes on 5,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
How is the ClearPlex in the rain? Do the wipers work better, worse, no real difference?
Do not get ClearPlex.

Worst invention, ever.
detansinn (11-08-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 06:26 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
By his own admission, he lives in the middle of nowhere. When he drives, there's no one around. On a recent drive, he got enough chips to "lose sleep at night." He got half a dozen chips all at once. His main problem with PPF is that he's never needed it. The implication is that he would need it if he drove the car a lot and drove it on crowded roads. He'd also opt for it, perhaps, he was keeping his car more than 2-3 years. He also thinks PPF looks bad, shows seams, and hides the paint. None of that is true anymore, if you pay to get it done right, and use the latest product.
Nothing has changed that much - I can still easily tell a car with high-end PPF vs one that doesn't have it from many feet away. No matter if you do a crappy low end install or high-end dismantle my car and tuck every edge (don't get me started here - I would never let any PPF jockey take apart my Porsche) it will always show up issues after a few years. I've seen $4k jobs look like junk after a few years - while my non-PPF cars with a little effort look so much better.

I get it, some people just don't want to, or have the time to detail a non-PPF'd car to a high degree - where chips & nicks are fixed to a very high degree and not even seen (it can be done). I've seen owners get that high-end PPF job and then not even know how to properly wash a car or they take it through the cheap auto car wash. They then have PPF (and a car) that looks like crap. There are all sorts out there.

Its a mind set and methodology to not needing PPF - many embrace it, many don't. Pick the one you like - PPF gets nothing at resale, zip, sunk cost. Its the overall condition, mileage, color and options that play here - not PPF. My non-PPF cars have always gotten fantastic trade or sale amounts - just because they are taken care of to a very high degree.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:38 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

The low sloping nose of the 911 is prone to stone chips. I always have the front clip wrapped w/ceramic on the rest of the car.

Quick Reply: New 992 - to PPF or not ?