Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 992 - to PPF or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 07:27 PM
AKB991
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

First of all, Remington , not sure I recall giving you permission to show my couch !
second , you would have to put the stone guards down first and then the stripes ? Could do it the other way but …
lastly , P Dealer did my Xpel and yup, it’s precut and kinda crappy.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:02 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
I'm just gonna leave this here...

Priceless
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocket_boy:
nextlevelauto (12-13-2021), SAlexander (03-22-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 04:53 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 329 Posts

I revived an old thread . I am about to take delivery within 3 weeks . My 15 year old black 997.1 Turbo has NO PPF . It did get a few minor chips and even had a a scratch on the door that looked like someone leaned on it with a zipper from a jacket (parked next to disabled spot). My detailer really is a pro and was able to unblemish these things to where I don't even recall where it was . If I drove highway miles in the daytime with trucks or took it to the track I would get it . I have seen both sides of the coin examples . I saw a Gt3 that was keyed where PPF saved it . I also saw a yellow disaster . I even saw a great job but the guy leased the BMW . They made him remove it at lease return . It took him 6 hours and he was livid . I always look for "the line" and most of the time I find it .

My last car had 50K miles and no chips . I also find that a quality ceramic job does add some minor protection . I am not getting PPF . Someone mentioned "peace off mind" and I just feel it wont stop the boulder falling off the mountain . Here is the day that my 07 car was done . I didnt even move it so that there's no dust . This is a 15 year old black car with no PPF . I just can't see any reason to get it .

The following users liked this post:
westcoastj (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 08:32 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 302 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I revived an old thread . I am about to take delivery within 3 weeks . My 15 year old black 997.1 Turbo has NO PPF . It did get a few minor chips and even had a a scratch on the door that looked like someone leaned on it with a zipper from a jacket (parked next to disabled spot). My detailer really is a pro and was able to unblemish these things to where I don't even recall where it was . If I drove highway miles in the daytime with trucks or took it to the track I would get it . I have seen both sides of the coin examples . I saw a Gt3 that was keyed where PPF saved it . I also saw a yellow disaster . I even saw a great job but the guy leased the BMW . They made him remove it at lease return . It took him 6 hours and he was livid . I always look for "the line" and most of the time I find it .

My last car had 50K miles and no chips . I also find that a quality ceramic job does add some minor protection . I am not getting PPF . Someone mentioned "peace off mind" and I just feel it wont stop the boulder falling off the mountain . Here is the day that my 07 car was done . I didnt even move it so that there's no dust . This is a 15 year old black car with no PPF . I just can't see any reason to get it .
Your 997 looks amazing. A 911 in black is classic.

I follow your logic base on your current experience. The one thing that makes me think about PPF is the huge difference in paints from 15 years ago vs. today’s paint. So much has changed and the paints are “softer” now.
The following 2 users liked this post by txpackers:
AlterZgo (03-21-2022), Yojeffo (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 08:51 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 878 Likes on 416 Posts

Two times since 1985 my 911's have taken hits that needed repair and both times PPF would not have mattered. First was a dent on my 991.1's rear wheel well flare from a stone (I guess). Second was an a/c condenser on my 991.2 that was hit from debris that fell off of a truck. Maybe I've been lucky, but I don't follow too closely even it means going dreadfully slow, also I don't track these cars. I was thinking about getting PPF on my incoming GTS but I've decided against.
yrralis1 (03-22-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 10:06 AM
Newport IRL
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

I decided against PPF using the same reasoning as @yrralis1 . Picked the car up Saturday and got caught in a pretty good downpour on 101 coming home, and ended up with a tiny nick on the hood. It’s been christened so to speak. For those that are going to PPF, have the car transported there from the dealer as others have said.
yrralis1 (03-22-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 10:33 AM
brainzito
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 118 Posts

You only need one of these to make you change your mind. But to each their own, right?

The following 2 users liked this post by brainzito:
AlterZgo (03-21-2022), Go Bruins (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 12:29 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

I always look for "the line" and most of the time I find it .
With the films currently available, there should be no line on a 911.
Old 03-21-2022, 01:00 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

An age old argument always guaranteed to drive posts on car forums.....end of the day, your car your choice. To each their own.
brainzito (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 05:14 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brainzito
You only need one of these to make you change your mind. But to each their own, right?
The passenger door had this right in the center of the door . My pure guess was that it was a cold day (rare in Fl) and I parked next to a disabled spot . It looks like someone was wearing a jacket and the zipper scratched it As you can see I screwed it up even more which caused swirl next to it . The door was NOT repainted . Although expensive my detailer is that good . You can't se it in that photo I posted no matter how hard you look . I had a few little chips on the hood and he did the same. You also cant see "the line" which PPF creates nor any sign of yellowing (or discoloration) of PPF .

Old 03-22-2022, 05:32 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Drew46
With the films currently available, there should be no line on a 911.
The scratch I posted (above) was on the door . Most people only do hood and fenders . Doing the entire car is OCD to the max and reminds me of that furniture example someone posted. Perhaps the modern day PPF is improved but the 15 year longevity of today's film is unknown . It would be hard to compete with my 15 year old car without it .

There are exceptions (like a guy who was saved when his Gt3 was keyed) but usually if a scratch is that deep there is a dent along with it . Its really not a force field protecting the car .
detansinn (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 08:02 AM
brainzito
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 118 Posts

The passenger door had this right in the center of the door . My pure guess was that it was a cold day (rare in Fl) and I parked next to a disabled spot . It looks like someone was wearing a jacket and the zipper scratched it As you can see I screwed it up even more which caused swirl next to it . The door was NOT repainted . Although expensive my detailer is that good . You can't se it in that photo I posted no matter how hard you look . I had a few little chips on the hood and he did the same. You also cant see "the line" which PPF creates nor any sign of yellowing (or discoloration) of PPF .
I'm not following...
Any ding/dent that's past the clear coat - down to metal requires paint, no matter how good the detailer is. And I've yet to see touch up paint being that good.
PPF = peace of mind. Priceless, IMO
Old 03-22-2022, 08:51 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

I'm not following...
Any ding/dent that's past the clear coat - down to metal requires paint, no matter how good the detailer is. And I've yet to see touch up paint being that good.
You are correct . I thought it was a repaint . He has a process where he painstakingly fills each little chip , layers it, and sands it . Many years ago his original experience came out of a body shop . Anything really large he will decline . There were chips on the hood to . It took him two days but it was done. Lok at the cars he works on . He's a ;pro
View this post on Instagram
Old 03-22-2022, 09:01 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

I'm not following...
Regarding a ding - I have a guy for that too. Suppose the ding has a scratch . Ding guy gets it first. Then it goes to Chino . It has to be small .like a chip Here is an example of one on a former 997 that he declined . PPF would not have saved this though . The dent is significant . A ding -- yes . A dent - no. PS .. that was also a door (not hood or fender) .

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-22-2022 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-22-2022, 09:08 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

I took a close look at that photo . It looks like the car has PPF . Maybe its just the lighting but I see a bubble.

Quick Reply: New 992 - to PPF or not ?