Sponsored by:

Sports Response Button

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 05:54 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by breny4104
I think they may be confusing standard "kick down" with sports response. Even then you don't lightly tap the gas, you have to floor it.
Maybe? I just go on what was posted.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:02 PM
politeperson
Racer

Received 493 Likes on 151 Posts

Nope. Not a kick down.

You just need to blip the pedal and it does it.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:04 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,615 Likes on 819 Posts

^ I think you're pulling our chain.

Why on earth would Porsche make that a feature when there is already a ****?
Old 09-30-2021, 06:24 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 767 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by politeperson
Nope. Not a kick down.

You're confusing the transmission's quick response to intense throttle application with Sport Response. The transmission shifting into a lower gear in response to sudden throttle input is not the same thing. Most modern cars behave as you're describing.

Meanwhile, SRB does more: actually changing into a more Sport+ -like ECU profile, for example.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:26 PM
breny4104
Burning Brakes

Received 509 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ I think you're pulling our chain.

Why on earth would Porsche make that a feature when there is already a ****?
It would be the new Widow Maker... I am skeptical.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:10 PM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Yea, performance changes. But as to why, well, nobody seems to be able to explain it with corroborating information.

Watch the video. But don’t believe what;s on the video, then read this from C&D. My belief is that whatever the Sports Response button does, it optimizes both the PDK gearing selection and the turbo’s response in building pressure and (maybe) maintaining that pressure for a longer period (ergo, the 20 second timeout limit)?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-boost-page-2/

In the center of the **** is the Sport Response button; when pressed, it primes the transmission and opens the throttle slightly to increase airflow and to keep the turbochargers spinning under braking {an advantage coming out of a corner}, ensuring that the engine responds more immediately to throttle input. This trick to maintain boost, called Dynamic Boost, operates in all modes, but to varying degrees. Also, in Sport Response mode, the variable-vane turbos are set to build torque more quickly than normal. This lasts for only 20 seconds and then reverts to the previously selected chassis mode.”
I’m in the camp that the SRB just throws you into Sports Plus for 20 seconds. I’m on my third 911 with the SRB - 991.2 base, 991.2 GTS, and now my 992 C4. I have hit that button many times over the 5 years I’ve owned these turbo era cars. In my 991.2 base car I took it to a 1/2 mile drag event at an airport. I did 4 runs - 2 hitting the button and 2 without all in Sports plus auto mode. I ran 140.xx mph every single run, the button made no difference. Like another poster above said, if you are already in Sports Plus at WOT, when you hit the button nothing happens other than the timer pops up. I’ve tried this many times at Sebring.

Also the video your posting and the above C/D quote is referencing the Turbo models. Our cars do not have VGT or variable-vane turbos, only the Turbo and Turbo S have those. So maybe, in the Turbo models they can work some magic with the VGT turbos, but that can’t happen on a regular 911.

One way or the other, it sure would be nice to get a final answer on this from Porsche.

The following users liked this post:
Scuderia WOT (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 07:24 PM
Scuderia WOT
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by surquhar
I’m in the camp that the SRB just throws you into Sports Plus for 20 seconds. I’m on my third 911 with the SRB - 991.2 base, 991.2 GTS, and now my 992 C4. I have hit that button many times over the 5 years I’ve owned these turbo era cars. In my 991.2 base car I took it to a 1/2 mile drag event at an airport. I did 4 runs - 2 hitting the button and 2 without all in Sports plus auto mode. I ran 140.xx mph every single run, the button made no difference. Like another poster above said, if you are already in Sports Plus at WOT, when you hit the button nothing happens other than the timer pops up. I’ve tried this many times at Sebring.

Also the video your posting and the above C/D quote is referencing the Turbo models. Our cars do not have VGT or variable-vane turbos, only the Turbo and Turbo S have those. So maybe, in the Turbo models they can work some magic with the VGT turbos, but that can’t happen on a regular 911.

One way or the other, it sure would be nice to get a final answer on this from Porsche.
Interesting. I was wondering if anyone had done speed runs with and without utilizing SRB. Sounds like there is no enhanced performance and if so, then it's just a gimmick. I ordered a GTS a couple of months ago so don't have one to test. Does anyone else have data on speed runs with and without SRB?
Old 09-30-2021, 07:38 PM
breny4104
Burning Brakes

It's not a gimmick. It's a shortcut to sport +. one that you don't have to look down to make sure it's activated to turn on and then turn off.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:52 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 511 Likes on 263 Posts

You’re missing the point mate. The purpose of SRB isn’t to apply it from a dead stop and then accelerate off; it won’t make a difference on those times. It’s when you’re already at any given speed and you press it it’ll kick to the highest rpm available for you to take off as fast as possible from said speed. It’s basically launch control at a given speed. Press the button and you’re ready to take off. Because even when you’re in Sport+ and want to take off, you’ll have a slight delay flooring the throttle and then kick down to lowest gear before you go.

Best way I can say this is when testing out some 60-130 runs on my recently stg1 tuned C2S, I got better times being in sport+ and pressing the SRB from about 55mph and launching, vs just being in sport+ and flooring it (although i still myself am trying to figure out the best timing/start speed for all that during those runs to get the best time).

Last edited by reddsektor; 09-30-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:10 PM
Scuderia WOT
Advanced

Originally Posted by reddsektor
You’re missing the point mate. The purpose of SRB isn’t to apply it from a dead stop and then accelerate off; it won’t make a difference on those times. It’s when you’re already at any given speed and you press it it’ll kick to the highest rpm available for you to take off as fast as possible from said speed. It’s basically launch control at a given speed. Press the button and you’re ready to take off. Because even when you’re in Sport+ and want to take off, you’ll have a slight delay flooring the throttle and then kick down to lowest gear before you go.

Best way I can say this is when testing out some 60-130 runs on my recently stg1 tuned C2S, I got better times being in sport+ and pressing the SRB from about 55mph and launching, vs just being in sport+ and flooring it (although i still myself am trying to figure out the best timing/start speed for all that during those runs to get the best time).
Okay, now I get it. As you said, its simply an easier and quicker way to accelerate. So not a gimmick, but not a performance enhancement either. So when the guy in the loud Mustang comes up next to you and floors it, you don't have to look to change modes and wait for the PDK kickdown. Just push the SRB & WOT and blast by him.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scuderia WOT:
breny4104 (09-30-2021), surquhar (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 08:15 PM
breny4104
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Scuderia WOT
Okay, now I get it. As you said, its simply an easier and quicker way to accelerate. So not a gimmick, but not a performance enhancement either. So when the guy in the loud Mustang comes up next to you and floors it, you don't have to look to change modes and wait for the PDK kickdown. Just push the SRB & WOT and blast by him.
If you have an S then yes. If like me and you're getting a base model you might have to play it cool... "I don't care"
Old 09-30-2021, 08:53 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Interesting. The 718 also has the VGT….but not the 992S?

Also, the Dynamic boost technique mentioned in the C&D article, does not rely on VGT.

https://flatsixes.com/porsche-cultur...-system-works/

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 09-30-2021 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:00 PM
Scuderia WOT
Advanced

Originally Posted by breny4104
If you have an S then yes. If like me and you're getting a base model you might have to play it cool... "I don't care"
I ordered a GTS a couple of months ago.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:17 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,615 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by politeperson
Nope. Not a kick down.

I tested this a few times on the way home earlier.

Sorry, but the car doesn’t do that
Old 09-30-2021, 09:38 PM
Skarz
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
I tested this a few times on the way home earlier.

Sorry, but the car doesn’t do that
Agree - the car does not do that. At least mine doesn’t.

Quick Reply: Sports Response Button