Sponsored by:

Sports Response Button

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2021 | 10:39 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Default Sports Response Button

Porsche literature says -

“In addition to being able to choose your preferred driving mode, the mode selector **** on the steering wheel features a button in the middle that engages 'SPORT Response'. This feature primes the engine and transmission for a surge of power and responsiveness for 20 seconds. If you need to overtake someone and want a little boost, press this button for maximum performance.”

Has anybody tried this, and if so, what are your impressions compared to simply downshift, or stomping on the gas peddle while in the Sports + mode? Is it a marketing gimmick, or does it provide greater boost (for 20 seconds), and fastest acceleration from the car, regardless of anything else you do? What does, “priming the engine” mean?

Thx

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 09-26-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-26-2021 | 11:00 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog

Porsche literature says -

“In addition to being able to choose your preferred driving mode, the mode selector **** on the steering wheel features a button in the middle that engages 'SPORT Response'. This feature primes the engine and transmission for a surge of power and responsiveness for 20 seconds. If you need to overtake someone and want a little boost, press this button for maximum performance.”

Has anybody tried this, and if so, what are your impressions compared to simply downshift, or stomping on the gas peddle while in the Sports + mode? Is it a marketing gimmick, or does it provide greater boost (for 20 seconds), and fastest acceleration from the car, regardless of anything else you do? What does, “priming the engine” mean?

Thx
Not a marketing gimmick. Stiffens up the dynamic engine mounts and the suspension. It also permits a little overboost — hence, the time limit. If your PDK is in auto mode when you hit it, it will drop a bunch of gears to put the car in the top of the rev range.

When you hit it in Sport Plus mode, it is giving you more than what Sport Plus delivers on its own. It is not 20 sec of Sports Plus as some on RennList have speculated. It is more.

I most frequently use it for highway passing where some additional authority is required (and I am in auto mode), but I also do use it for some back road passing situations in manual mode.

You end Sport Respone mode early by simply tapping the button again. So, if you’re done going full tilt, you can cancel it.

When I say 992s without Sport Chrono are lesser cars, the lack of Sport Response Mode is one of the reasons why.
The following 6 users liked this post by detansinn:
healthnut76 (09-13-2022), lucycan (09-27-2021), PorscheGTSFan (09-28-2021), Redrider (09-26-2021), Tupper (09-26-2021), vg247 (02-12-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-26-2021 | 11:11 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by detansinn
Not a marketing gimmick. Stiffens up the dynamic engine mounts and the suspension. It also permits a little overboost — hence, the time limit. If your PDK is in auto mode when you hit it, it will drop a bunch of gears to put the car in the top of the rev range.

When you hit it in Sport Plus mode, it is giving you more than what Sport Plus delivers on its own. It is not 20 sec of Sports Plus as some on RennList have speculated. It is more.

I most frequently use it for highway passing where some additional authority is required (and I am in auto mode), but I also do use it for some back road passing situations in manual mode.

You end Sport Respone mode early by simply tapping the button again. So, if you’re done going full tilt, you can cancel it.

When I say 992s without Sport Chrono are lesser cars, the lack of Sport Response Mode is one of the reasons why.

Thank you very much for the explaination. One question….I briefly tried it (in “sport” mode and PDK in auto, not manual) and got a bit concerned that the revs really jumped up and seemed to stay there (ie did not shift into a higher gear) …so I then cancelled it. When you hit the sports response button, and it activates for 20 seconds, does it stay in one gear during that 20 second period, or will it shift to a higher gear to keep it from remaining near/in redline?
Old 09-26-2021 | 11:42 AM
Skarz
Instructor

If you press the button and after it downshifts (purposefully, so that it has the both the motor and trans operating in peak performance and ready for acceleration) if you do not accelerate, it will maintain the condition for the 20 seconds, as that is the intent. Try it again, but “drop the hammer” and you will experience what it does. If you hit the button when you are at low engine speeds, it definitely will drop several gears, which may be surprising at first, but again, that is what it is designed to do - put the car in the power and and ready to accelerate hard.
The following 2 users liked this post by Skarz:
got2go (09-27-2021), PorscheGTSFan (09-28-2021)
Old 09-26-2021 | 01:27 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Skarz
If you press the button and after it downshifts (purposefully, so that it has the both the motor and trans operating in peak performance and ready for acceleration) if you do not accelerate, it will maintain the condition for the 20 seconds, as that is the intent. Try it again, but “drop the hammer” and you will experience what it does. If you hit the button when you are at low engine speeds, it definitely will drop several gears, which may be surprising at first, but again, that is what it is designed to do - put the car in the power and and ready to accelerate hard.

Thanks. I will give it a try. Is this (basically) what’s done in “launch control”? Per the video on the next page, with the 991.2 Turbo…the button does make a significant difference in straight-line performance times. But based on the comments, there doesn’t seem to be a clear consensus as to exactly what the button is doing, ie, boost turbo pressure, or reduce turbo lag, etc. I wish Porsche would give a more detailed explanation, in some technical bulletin, of exactly what it does?

Personally, I think this Sports Performance button is something that many/some 992 owners overlook or know little about. Myself included.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 09-26-2021 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2021 | 02:00 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

I don't have it yet but my understanding from reading the manual and the comments above is that it puts the vehicle in a sport+ like mode where the revs stay between 4000 and 7000 (or so) rpms and it will shift accordingly, giving you the best burst of power for passing or what have you. apparently it adds some extra boost, etc.
Old 09-26-2021 | 02:24 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thank you very much for the explaination. One question….I briefly tried it (in “sport” mode and PDK in auto, not manual) and got a bit concerned that the revs really jumped up and seemed to stay there (ie did not shift into a higher gear) …so I then cancelled it. When you hit the sports response button, and it activates for 20 seconds, does it stay in one gear during that 20 second period, or will it shift to a higher gear to keep it from remaining near/in redline?
It will most certainly shift automatically for you when the PDK is in Auto mode. I'm often WOT in sports response mode.
The following users liked this post:
porscheprestige (02-02-2022)
Old 09-26-2021 | 03:22 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Just came back from a “spirited” drive. OMG, the sports response button is dramatic. Only used when merging or overtaking someone, so I was already going > 60mph. Can’t say for sure the boost pressure was higher than normal (I forgot to monitor on one of the internal gauges)….but did take it up to redline before it shifted gears.

Per this video, just stunning acceleration. Wait for the 2nd/3rd races where the button is activated. :

https://www.motor1.com/news/431072/t...GEPPxuOCQM3JpI

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 09-26-2021 at 03:24 PM.
detansinn (09-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2021 | 04:44 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ Funny, I just came back from 2 back to back spirited drives.

Spirited drive 1

Lunch

Wife: “go for another one, get it out of your system!”

Hence spirited drive 2
The following 3 users liked this post by Tupper:
843Spyder (10-01-2021), detansinn (09-26-2021), Tip (09-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2021 | 04:45 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

detansinn you seem like a Sport Response pro. Is there a such thing as using the sport response button too much?
detansinn (09-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2021 | 05:28 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tupper
detansinn you seem like a Sport Response pro. Is there a such thing as using the sport response button too much?
25k miles in. No such thing as too much. 🤪
The following 5 users liked this post by detansinn:
lucycan (09-27-2021), mike.hicks (09-28-2021), PorscheGTSFan (09-28-2021), vg247 (02-12-2023), WhitBroo (09-27-2021)
Old 09-26-2021 | 05:30 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just came back from a “spirited” drive. OMG, the sports response button is dramatic. Only used when merging or overtaking someone, so I was already going > 60mph. Can’t say for sure the boost pressure was higher than normal (I forgot to monitor on one of the internal gauges)….but did take it up to redline before it shifted gears.

Per this video, just stunning acceleration. Wait for the 2nd/3rd races where the button is activated. :

https://www.motor1.com/news/431072/t...GEPPxuOCQM3JpI
Exactly. It's dramatic and those who skip Sport Chrono are missing out.
Old 09-26-2021 | 05:37 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ It wasn’t until you advocated using the SRB in a recent thread did I pay much attention to it. I only used it rarely.

My prior procedure was to drive normally in Sport Mode, then when I found a stretch where I was going to push the car fast, I turned the dial to Sport Plus mode to take advantage of the more aggressive gearing.

Now, I don’t go into Sport Plus as much, I just push the SRB and I usually only need it for less than 10 seconds, so I turn it back off, since this car is so ridiculously fast that your already past triple digit speeds by then anyhow
PorscheGTSFan (09-28-2021)
Old 09-26-2021 | 06:36 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Without trying to sound like a spoil sport nothing I've ever seen from Porsche themselves supports that any actual over-boost is involved here. I looked into this when I got my car because, being a manual, it does not have the button. In the end though it seems more about optimising the PDK transmission mapping than anything else, maybe also the engine mounts and perhaps also pre-spooling the turbo but max boost? Nope.

More than happy to be proven wrong, as always.
findtom (09-30-2021)
Old 09-26-2021 | 08:08 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by aggie57
Without trying to sound like a spoil sport nothing I've ever seen from Porsche themselves supports that any actual over-boost is involved here. I looked into this when I got my car because, being a manual, it does not have the button. In the end though it seems more about optimising the PDK transmission mapping than anything else, maybe also the engine mounts and perhaps also pre-spooling the turbo but max boost? Nope.

More than happy to be proven wrong, as always.
No disrespect, but do you have anything new, ie, links, Porsche info, etc? You made the same comment back in Dec 2020. It’s your opinion (which is fine), but that’s all it is without at least some corroborating information. I don’t know if there is any over boost, of not…but I do have these two pieces of information:

https://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-9...kage-features/

Response button, the PDK gearbox will automatically select the right gear for accelerating, and the turbochargers are allowed to overboost. Porsche makes no claims on horespower or torque increases during the overboost period, but the car certainly feels faster in the ‘seat-of-the-pants’ sense. We had a chance to test the button out when passing slower traffic, and it works wonders. Kick down a few gears, boost the power, and you’re instantly past what was formerly a rolling roadblock.”

But forget what’s in the press, the video link I provided illustrates that it’s more than just mapping, engine mounts and spooling the turbos. Supposedly, the only difference between the first run (WHICH THE PORSCHE TURBO lost), and the next two runs (where the Porsche turbo convincingly won both races), was the activation of the sport performance button. Unless they were lying to us, that was the only difference made from the first run.

Quick Reply: Sports Response Button