Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sports Response Button

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 03:11 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,408 Likes on 1,490 Posts

It would be interesting to see a dyno using the sport response button. I don’t think Porsche implements any overboost or they’d have another lawsuit on their hands with CARB/EPA.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (09-27-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 03:25 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

I have had responsibilities that included turbo design and matching.

The EPA broadly certifies the catalyst for a vehicle and then has the manufacturers prove they control it suitably and that the surrounding hardware will not damage it. As such they have no interest in over boost devices so long as they were present in the Certification and will not cause the catalyst to deteriorate faster than it was demonstrated to the EPA/CARB. Many OEMs use different boost levels in different gears with transient boost being lower or higher than steady state boost depending on gear, rpm, environmental conditions etc. allows. Max available boost and best boost for performance are not a singular answer for one engine in one car. There is a lot more that goes into what is occurring even inside a single car and day to day tests.
aggie57 (09-27-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 03:36 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Good to know. It seems the consensus then is that there's no over-boost involved but likely a combination of other variables manipulated to produce better response and potentially more power, whether in absolute terms or for given inputs. It'd still be good to see the data though.

What consensus? You are the only one drawing that conclusion. The post you quoted states that he can make more power at any given level of boost. Nowhere does he suggest or agree that there is no increase in boost using Sport Response. You say you are happy to be proven wrong but then seem to ignore anything counter to your position.
Tupper (09-28-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 04:23 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Based on what Michigan (“Go Blue”) 992 says, it’s complex, and there are many factors that come into play.

But we know the following:
- The sports response mode acts like another Porsche mode, “that times” out after 20 seconds. I wonder why?
- Provides some extra performance above what is available in the sports + mode.
- The specifics of what that added performance entails is nebulous. However, and based on the Car and Driver article and video I
linked, I think it’s safe to assume:

(A) Acceleration (wrt the Sports + mode) is improved, per the video I linked.
(B) The dynamic boost technique is employed to maintain boost for a longer period, per the C&D article.
(C) Also, in Sport Response mode, the variable-vane turbos are set to build torque more quickly than normal, per C&D.

But besides all of the aforementioned information, Porsche, in one of it’s own press releases about the various modes, says this:

SPORT Response'. This feature primes the engine and transmission for a surge of power and responsiveness for 20 seconds. {Might the turbo waste-gate be kept closed longer??} If you need to overtake someone and want a little boost, press this button for maximum performance {please note that in this case, “performance” means acceleration}

Finally, I think it worth noting that in the press release, Porsche separated out the sports response, from the other modes, ie, normal, wet, sport and sport_+.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 09-27-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:42 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
What consensus? You are the only one drawing that conclusion. The post you quoted states that he can make more power at any given level of boost. Nowhere does he suggest or agree that there is no increase in boost using Sport Response. You say you are happy to be proven wrong but then seem to ignore anything counter to your position.
Not at all, for example:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1270...l#post17690315

More than happy for someone to prove that there is indeed some overboost involved. Trouble with these types of forums is that what purports as facts is just as often repeated (mis)information.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:40 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 708 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ Just because people forget to use something doesn't mean it's a gimmick.

Launch control, for example, is not a gimmick no matter how many people call it that. It legitimately and demonstrably quickens one's 0-60 time. That may not matter to many people, which I understand, but that doesn't make launch control a gimmick just because you don't use it.

SRB....well, if it truly makes one accelerate faster then it is NOT a gimmick.

The word "gimmick" is becoming overused by car reviewers. A true "gimmick" is something that has little use or function other than marketing.
The button works for 20 seconds. No one here is sure what it does exactly. Given the 911's acceleration prowess, the idea that you need it to pass slower vehicles is silly. It may not be a gimmick to you, and I respect that. But to Hans in Porsche Marketing, it's a sales enhancement tool. If most people don't use it, and I don't think they do, then what is it?
Old 09-28-2021, 07:58 PM
Hormazd Dalal
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
The button works for 20 seconds. No one here is sure what it does exactly. Given the 911's acceleration prowess, the idea that you need it to pass slower vehicles is silly. It may not be a gimmick to you, and I respect that. But to Hans in Porsche Marketing, it's a sales enhancement tool. If most people don't use it, and I don't think they do, then what is it?
Neither launch control nor sport response button are gimmicks. To me Launch control is party trick, but definitely some sophisticated engine and drivetrain management to achieve the sling shot launch. I have neither, but if I had the PDK I would be using the SR button all the time.
Tupper (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 08:33 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by SBAD
Today, I used the sports response button while driving at 70mp on the highway. My wife was freakin out because we were fast approaching our exit, and there was no openings in the traffic to be able to move right, two lanes, into the exist lane. I said, “calm down, nothing to worry about” while I hit the button. I moved into the passing lane (which was open), and flew past a bunch of cars and trucks in the blink of an eye, with plenty of time and space to move into the exit lane. My wife said (for real), “that was really cool, but don’t do that again when I’m with you”.

Might I have been able to do the same maneuver without it? Maybe, maybe not….but as my wife said, “that was really cool”.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 09-28-2021 at 08:35 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
Bat28 (09-30-2021), CanAutM3 (09-28-2021), detansinn (09-28-2021), peterdouglas (09-28-2021), Tupper (09-29-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 09:16 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,356 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Today, I used the sports response button while driving at 70mp on the highway. My wife was freakin out because we were fast approaching our exit, and there was no openings in the traffic to be able to move right, two lanes, into the exist lane. I said, “calm down, nothing to worry about” while I hit the button. I moved into the passing lane (which was open), and flew past a bunch of cars and trucks in the blink of an eye, with plenty of time and space to move into the exit lane. My wife said (for real), “that was really cool, but don’t do that again when I’m with you”.

Might I have been able to do the same maneuver without it? Maybe, maybe not….but as my wife said, “that was really cool”.
Best case use of the SRB reported right here
Tupper (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 09:27 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Best case use of the SRB reported right here
thx
Old 09-28-2021, 09:59 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog

think … JATO …

(based on SRB and my 992TTS)
Old 09-28-2021, 10:09 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by peterdouglas
think … JATO …

(based on SRB and my 992TTS)
https://www.yahoo.com/news/weather/j...160037845.html
Old 09-29-2021, 07:29 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

The SRB provides zero extra performance over Sport+.

All it provides is a short cut to a lower gear in Sport Plus. Try this experiment.

Put the car in sport+
Manually change down to a lower gear
Hit the SRB
You will see that nothing happens
Revs don't change, throttle response doesn't change, performance doesn't change
The following 3 users liked this post by Chris3963:
Mikey K (09-29-2021), surquhar (09-29-2021), Vista6019 (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 09:49 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris3963
The SRB provides zero extra performance over Sport+.

…..throttle response doesn't change, performance doesn't change
Yea, performance changes. But as to why, well, nobody seems to be able to explain it with corroborating information.

Watch the video. But don’t believe what;s on the video, then read this from C&D. My belief is that whatever the Sports Response button does, it optimizes both the PDK gearing selection and the turbo’s response in building pressure and (maybe) maintaining that pressure for a longer period (ergo, the 20 second timeout limit)?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-boost-page-2/

In the center of the **** is the Sport Response button; when pressed, it primes the transmission and opens the throttle slightly to increase airflow and to keep the turbochargers spinning under braking {an advantage coming out of a corner}, ensuring that the engine responds more immediately to throttle input. This trick to maintain boost, called Dynamic Boost, operates in all modes, but to varying degrees. Also, in Sport Response mode, the variable-vane turbos are set to build torque more quickly than normal. This lasts for only 20 seconds and then reverts to the previously selected chassis mode.”

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 09-29-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:22 PM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Not a marketing gimmick. Stiffens up the dynamic engine mounts and the suspension. It also permits a little overboost — hence, the time limit. If your PDK is in auto mode when you hit it, it will drop a bunch of gears to put the car in the top of the rev range.

When you hit it in Sport Plus mode, it is giving you more than what Sport Plus delivers on its own. It is not 20 sec of Sports Plus as some on RennList have speculated. It is more.

I most frequently use it for highway passing where some additional authority is required (and I am in auto mode), but I also do use it for some back road passing situations in manual mode.

You end Sport Respone mode early by simply tapping the button again. So, if you’re done going full tilt, you can cancel it.

When I say 992s without Sport Chrono are lesser cars, the lack of Sport Response Mode is one of the reasons why.
Really?

Quick Reply: Sports Response Button