Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS allocations

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2021 | 01:48 AM
P9RSR
Advanced

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Back when I was in grad school, JIT (“just in time”) manufacturing practices were coming on board in many manufacturing industries. It’s a proven way to maximize production efficiency and profits. But, it can also lead to delays in deliveries, if there are disruptions in getting the raw materials needed for your end product.

From what I have read, there are many reasons for the chip shortage, but one of the major reasons is: Factory shutdowns caused by COVID…causing chip manufacturers to then cancel orders from hundreds of suppliers. Many of those suppliers then either closed themselves, or found other outlets for their products/parts…so on, and so on down the manufacturing chain. I think most of us don’t realize or appreciate how interconnected/dependent manufacturers and suppliers are to one another. If one has a major disruption, for any reason, everybody gets impacted. Then there’s the very real problems and issues involved with re-starting and re-qualifying/certifying chip fabrication lines (that use very sensitive million-to-billion dollar equipment) that have been shuttered for 6 months, or longer (I have firsthand experiences with this aspect). You just don’t flip a switch and things start running again. Doesn’t happen that way.

In any event, chip manufacturers are back up and running and it will take time to feed the beast, and fill all outstanding orders. Starting up a fab line is not like turning on your light switch at home.

Shortages of those items were due to two things - hoarding (toilet paper) and “just in time” manufacturing philosophies that permeated many industries. Thus, prior to the pandemic, manufacturers only made enough for the demand at that time….they were caught flat footed, so to speak….or, like chip manufacturers, the maker of purel, for example, may have had difficulties getting the chemicals they needed because their suppliers were also shut down.

IMO, we are all over paying…even before this current Porsche “gouging”. I got a 6% discount off of MSRP, but even with that, I felt I over paid. Porsche is the most profitable car manufacturer on the planet..or so I’ve read. They got this status from marketing and honing their image as a top auto manufacturer for the sports enthusiasts. Their demographics have loads of money, and Porsche knows that, so they charge $5K, for example, for options that should be included, no extra charge, on a car costing well over $100K. It’s just like going to the movies…you pay $25 for a bag of popcorn and a drink. Is that logical?

But the bottom line (for me)….I love my 992S…I have so much fun driving that car that I don’t regret having spent more than I should have. But I have the money. Money was never an issue for me…ie, I came inches from buying a Turbo S, but my wife wisely said I would probably kill myself, so I heeded her advise. I suspect $$ isn’t and issue for many Porsche buyers of NEW Porsche’s…so, Porsche knows they can charge whatever they want, and still, the lines of buyers are wrapped around the building (so to speak).
So eloquent thanks for this post
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (11-08-2021)
Old 11-06-2021 | 01:55 AM
P9RSR
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911Stiller
So stoked. Just got my commission number and V200 status today on my GTS Coupe. 3/8 freeze date and 6/3 delivery.

Love the blue
I was so on the fence but finally went with Aventurine

The following 4 users liked this post by P9RSR:
911Stiller (11-06-2021), inthesticks (11-06-2021), Schwarz992C4S (01-19-2022), TheIrishMan (11-18-2021)
Old 11-06-2021 | 02:22 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by P9RSR
So eloquent thanks for this post

You are quite welcome. I know a lot of people, my neighbors included, don’t understand why the shortages?? After all things are getting back to normal, so why the shortages? Like a lot of things in life - it’s complex, and fixes aren’t always easy, nor quick.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
911Stiller (11-06-2021), P9RSR (11-06-2021)
Old 11-06-2021 | 02:26 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Love the blue

You won’t be sorry. I was at a recent PCA tour/rally and there were over 60 Porsche owners at this tour. I was blown away at the response I got about my car, and especially the color…all from total strangers. . Best comment I got from a couple was - “it looks so sophisticated….must be a special color from Porsche”.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-06-2021 at 02:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
P9RSR (11-06-2021), Schwarz992C4S (01-19-2022)
Old 11-06-2021 | 05:38 AM
P9RSR
Advanced

You are quite welcome. I know a lot of people, my neighbors included, don’t understand why the shortages?? After all things are getting back to normal, so why the shortages? Like a lot of things in life - it’s complex, and fixes aren’t always easy, nor quick.

Thanks I work in data and cloud software and understand what you mean perfectly ahah

You won’t be sorry. I was at a recent PCA tour/rally and there were over 60 Porsche owners at this tour. I was blown away at the response I got about my car, and especially the color…all from total strangers. . Best comment I got from a couple was - “it looks so sophisticated….must be a special color from Porsche”.
Indeed i love how it has some duality (pop or muted) depending on light and yet very understated overall

Last edited by P9RSR; 11-06-2021 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-06-2021 | 04:23 PM
Sea Wolf
Advanced

Ball officially rolling on my GTS ... Manual Coupe LW package Lava Orange.

The following 6 users liked this post by Sea Wolf:
3uros (11-15-2021), 911Stiller (11-07-2021), chance6 (11-06-2021), Hadlyme (11-06-2021), mdrobc1213 (11-08-2021), Nshirvanian (11-09-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-06-2021 | 04:34 PM
Hadlyme
Advanced

I recently sold my GT Silver 2017 911 S and am #1 on the 911 GTS waiting list at my Dealer in Ct. I got back 80% of the negotiated sticker price for the 2017 after 4.5 years and 15.5k miles.
There are NO GT-3 allocations for years. There are NO Base Turbo's at all and Turbo S waitlists are filled for years. The GTS is perfect for me.
I am getting a GTS RWD Coupe, it's expected to be here in late July.
The options include:
Gentian Blue Metallic
Aerokit in High Gloss Black
Window Trim in High Gloss Black
Porsche Logo in High Gloss Black
Deletion of Model Designation on Rear
8 Speed PDK
Rear Axle Steering
Adaptive Sports Seats Plus 18 Way
Ventilated Seats
GT Sport Steering Wheel in Leather
Bose Surround Sound.
The MSRP is $157,750. Considering how well I did selling the 2017 911S I am OK with that price.
Old 11-06-2021 | 07:18 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
I’m in V200 status. Freeze date 12/09, delivery 03/18/22. GTS coupe. I’ll be ready! Build code PNBSMI45.
Same dates for my C4S cab!
icanthelpit (11-11-2021)
Old 11-06-2021 | 07:19 PM
dmacker
Advanced

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Hopefully it gets sorted out by 3/10/22 which is my freeze date.
I was told yesterday by my SA Aerokit is available, but will add 8 weeks to production. Not sure where he got that info from, but he kept me on the line while he seemingly was checking somewhere….
shrimp money (11-07-2021)
Old 11-06-2021 | 09:55 PM
RayC168
Rennlist Member

4GTS coupe...same 3/18 estimated delivery date as icanthelpit with a 12/16 freeze date.

Last edited by RayC168; 11-06-2021 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2021 | 07:00 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Love the blue

Thanks I work in data and cloud software and understand what you mean perfectly ahah

Indeed i love how it has some duality (pop or muted) depending on light and yet very understated overall
You guys are only looking at one portion of the problem . In one respect you are right . It is too late . The shortage problem is already here and to fix it would have required so much more than just ramping up production . The trade war with China imposed tarrifs which still exist . That limited the purchases of chips as well as the negotiation of companies with the chipmakers in. China . The current administration wrote an executive order which anmounts to nothing mire than just a review . Its a big ZERO . Enough politics .

No one at my dealership was called yet . I saw the new GM who I know well on Friday . He just was promoted and inherited little neat stacks of folders . He assured me that he has to sort out who paid a deposit in the order and is aware that I not only have a trade but have bought a lot of cars . Whether I am on the first round or the next depends on how many he got . So I will be patient . I am at MSRP and so is everyone else at my dealership . If they cant sell. a person a car they wont take a deposit .

So I hope I hear soon.

Last edited by yrralis1; 11-07-2021 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-07-2021 | 07:14 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hawkinsmc
Got a call from my dealer yesterday who told me I got my allocation...WooHooo🙌!!! This is my desired build, but will likely end up without the aero package, unless Porsche finds some wings between now and early next year (I'm not holding my breath). I also was looking at the black stone guards too, but noticed today they were removed from the configurato
I have nearly the identical build . Awesome choice !
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNHTE7N1
Old 11-07-2021 | 09:54 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by yrralis1
You guys are only looking at one portion of the problem . In one respect you are right . It is too late . The shortage problem is already here and to fix it would have required so much more than just ramping up production . The trade war with China imposed tarrifs which still exist . That limited the purchases of chips as well as the negotiation of companies with the chipmakers in. China . The current administration wrote an executive order which anmounts to nothing mire than just a review . Its a big ZERO . Enough politics .

No one at my dealership was called yet . I saw the new GM who I know well on Friday . He just was promoted and inherited little neat stacks of folders . He assured me that he has to sort out who paid a deposit in the order and is aware that I not only have a trade but have bought a lot of cars . Whether I am on the first round or the next depends on how many he got . So I will be patient . I am at MSRP and so is everyone else at my dealership . If they cant sell. a person a car they wont take a deposit .

So I hope I hear soon.

As far as I am aware, there was no major chip shortage pre-pandemic. The chip shortage became acute right about the time when many businesses, world-wide, started to close up. If you want to get a good layperson’s explaination, a few months ago, 60 Minutes (I believe) did a good story about TSMC (Taiwan). In their expose, they interviewed the CEO of TSMC, who explained a lot of the reasons for the shortages.

The top 3 chip manufacturers in the world - Intel, Samsung and TSMC - are all non-Chinese. No idea where Germany (for the Porsche) gets it’s chips, so not clear to me how the US-China trade war impacts a German car company?

PS - If you want to know something that is really scary….The US Government, and specifically the military, relies on advanced, cutting edge chips from TSMC…which is a major reason for the strategic importance of Taiwan to the US. Chinese incursions, and Chinese threats to reunify, are a huge concern.

Finally, if you want to involve “politics” (you brought it up, not me) - who first imposed the tariffs? Not Biden. Oh, and Mr Seditionist’s trade war did exactly jack for the American people or US manufacturing, with the US consumer footing much of the bill (just like the Orange Man’s wall), so ya, “enough politics”:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-win-trade-war

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-07-2021 at 10:40 AM.
dhirm5 (11-07-2021)
Old 11-07-2021 | 10:42 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

As far as I am aware, there was no major chip shortage pre-pandemic. The chip shortage became acute right about the time when many businesses, world-wide, started to close up. If you want to get a good layperson’s explaination, a few months ago, 60 Minutes (I believe) did a good story about TSMC (Taiwan). In their expose, they interviewed the CEO of TSMC, who explained a lot of the reasons for the shortages.

The top 3 chip manufacturers in the world - Intel, Samsung and TSMC - are all non-Chinese. No idea where Germany (for the Porsche) gets it’s chips, so not clear to me how the US-China trade war impacts a German car company?

If you want to involve “politics” (you brought it up, not me) - who first imposed the tariffs? Not Biden. Oh, and and Mr Seditionist’s trade war did jack for the American people or US manufacturing, with the US consumer footing much of the bill, so ya, “enough politics”:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-win-trade-war
When I get my car with no ADM I'll. post pics ,I dont care if you agree or disagree with my views . It won't matter to either of us anyway . The problem is here and no matter what anyone thinks its what they end up paying that matters to that person .

What really ought to matter are the dealerships who stick to MSRP and their commitment to keeping their local loyal buyers happy . Thats a dealership worth establishing a relationship with.

Here are all of the reasons COMBINED Minus the politics .
https://evertiq.com/news/50134
The part you forgot -
From link
The continued trade war between the US and China is another reason chipmakers view geographical diversification as a solution to temper the semiconductor supply chain. Since 2018, the tariffs have caused a USD 5.36 billion decline on Chinese imports of semiconductors. The tariff increases over the years and unpredictable circumstances have caused major blows to many companies in a variety of industries dependent on chips. Expansion and further investment in semiconductor factories will not be a one-off solution and is not an overnight fix by any means but does offer an optimistic outlook.

Last edited by yrralis1; 11-07-2021 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-07-2021 | 11:24 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by yrralis1
When "Mt Seditionist" initiated the trade war it closed the door to even dealing with smaller companies . You are right on the big 3 . There were fires , Covid outbreaks , and a host of factors which made alternatives harder . You are right . His war did nothing !!!! In fact it handicapped it but so did Biden (for different reasons of course ). Inflation is good for business . This thread started where quotes of "75K ADM on a Targa" were heard . More money is more wealth to tax . Bring it on . He won't do anything to hedge that . Something had to take us out of debt . Both failed us . Its that simple . This isn't politics ... its cronyism . The right will, say "good capitalism" and the left will, say "tax the wealth" making it as perfect of a. storm to the gleeful chucking ADM fees like its just peanuts in a. "free market" . (yep that was what the thread what about .. remember ) .

I got a 6% discount when I order my Porsche. Took delivery April 2021. Waited 10 months. Shortly thereafter, there were no more discounts, nor Porsche’s on my dealers lot. The cupboard was bare. The over the MSRP pricing seems to be a dealer-by-dealer thing, and not set by Porsche. Eventually, supply will equal or surpass demand, and things will return to normalcy. But face it, Porsche knows it’s demographics have deep pockets and willing to pay almost anything to get the car many have been lusting over their entire life. I am financially well off, so pricing really doesn’t concern me…although I refuse to participate in price exploitation.

Please show me the last President who actually reduced the Federal deficit? Certainly NOT the Orange Man:. The answer to my question: “Of the 45 Presidents, only 14 of them have overseen a decrease in debt. Calvin Coolidge was the last President to do so.” Pretty remarkable that it was that long ago,

https://www.propublica.org/article/national-debt-trump

That said, and speaking as an Independent, I have been constantly exclaiming to my Republican friends - what happened to you people?? Growing up in conservative San Diego, my parents were stanch Reaganites. But even he added to the federal deficit. I use to be able to count on Republicans to help keep a lid on the deficit. Now, that only happens when a Dem admin proposes spending…so, it’s partisan, not merit based, politics. As far as inflation goes, the only real tool any President has are the interest rates that the Federal reserve administers, printing money…and federal spending. As the economy comes back, and more people take jobs with higher wages offered by employers (incentives), the state and federal tax base will improve. GDP will go up. After all, that’s really the end game here - everybody employed and making lots of money - both employees and corporate America. That’s what the tax base is based on.

The catch here, the concern is: In good times, it’s often the retired, or those living on a fixed income (primarily SS and maybe a small pension) that fall further and further behind. Sorry, but it;’s only the Federal, and to a degree the State Governments that can do anything to protect these people….so, some spending is needed to help the disenfranchised. I’ve been lobbying my Gov Larry Hogan, a Republican in a deep blue state, to get legislation through that eliminates any state taxes for those living on a fixed income.

I support Biden’s infrastructure bill. The roads, bridges and other infrastructure sorely needs some love. However, I am not a supporter of the 2nd, larger bill. There are parts of it that I do support, but not the complete package as I see it today. I have my doubts that it will pass (Ie Democracy at work) as it currently stands.

When I get my car with no ADM I'll. post pics ,I dont care if you agree or disagree with my views . It won't matter to either of us anyway . The problem is here and no matter what anyone thinks its what they end up paying that matters to that person .

What really ought to matter are the dealerships who stick to MSRP and their commitment to keeping their local loyal buyers happy . Thats a dealership worth establishing a relationship with.
I’m a firm believer in Democracy. Not the patriotic, flag waiving kind (saw enough of that type of “patriotic” nonsense on Jan 6th) , but the kind that believes we need to get back to listening to one another and not being afraid to disagree. Sometimes, the best ideas, the best approach comes from disagreements. With partisan politics (which is why I am an Independent), our reps usually vote party line….and I do not believe that is good for the Country. That’s not the democracy I believe in. Years ago, I took an oath to defend the Constitution…not a person, party or ideology.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-07-2021 at 11:46 AM.
fractionofawhole (11-07-2021)

Quick Reply: GTS allocations