Sponsored by:

Do you wish you had a GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 09:43 AM
sulu911
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sunspot2013
100%. After moving from a 991 Carrera T -> 911 50th Anniversary -> 991.2 GT3 to finally get that "must have" car I dreamed about, I think it is both a step too far for me because I significantly value being able to use a 911 as "just a car" AND the best, most emotive car I have ever experienced and probably will ever experience. I can't let it go. I have tried as hard as possible to reject the whole "just have both a Carrera and a GT3" as the correct answer, but here I sit looking at CPO Carreras to pair with my GT3 and replace my Macan. The Macan is the Porsche of small SUVs and excels in that role, but I have come to realize I am simply not an SUV guy and life is too short to drive stuff you are not enthusiastic about.
I’ve wanted a 991.2 GT3 for a while. Finally have an opportunity to buy one. I would need to sell both my 992 Carrera T and 981 Cayman street/track car. Both are wonderful, but the dream needs to become a reality.
So the answer is Yes.
The following users liked this post:
Tedster (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 09:53 AM
Biohazard
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by sulu911
I’ve wanted a 991.2 GT3 for a while. Finally have an opportunity to buy one. I would need to sell both my 992 Carrera T and 981 Cayman street/track car. Both are wonderful, but the dream needs to become a reality.
So the answer is Yes.
Post pics when you make the switch.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:08 AM
adm63
Pro

Received 914 Likes on 334 Posts

I can admit I wish my T had a gt3 motor, I love the naturally aspirated m156 v8 in my c63 since it feels motorsports derived as they still use m159s in the amg gt3 cars to this day rather than the biturbo v8 they put in the road cars. I would love to complement it with the 9k rpm flat 6 in my collection but I can't justify the price of entry while the T more than fits my needs at this point in my life. I suppose I still have time to step up in the future but I'm glad to enjoy the T here and now.
The following 2 users liked this post by adm63:
HOTCHKIS (05-10-2024), Tupper (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 822 Posts

I am happy to own both a high revving NA car and a car with a twin turbo V8

I love both cars for what they do, but when I want to go out on a joyride and have a big, fat grin on my face, it doesn’t take even a second for me to tell you which keys I’m reaching for……
Old 05-10-2024, 03:26 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,186 Likes on 1,837 Posts

What car makes sense for you depends on...
1) roads you drive on
2) use
3) priorities

I own both.
GT cars are amazing at the track and for canyon blasts. They are occasion cars.
Some people like to convince themselves GT cars are good dailies too. I disagree.
A lot depends on what vintage Carrera and what vintage GT car we're talking about.
991.2+ Carreras are much softer and easier to drive than older cars.
991.1 and 991.2 GT cars are more road friendly than older cars and interestingly, the 992.
Before the 991, the only guys who bought RS/GT cars were track guys.
RS/GT cars used to sit at dealer lots and get discounted.
Now it's become a status symbol... like you're instantly hard core if you show up at C&C in a GT. lol

I love my Carrera for its versatility.
I would never take a GT car on a road trip, or a date, or to get coffee, or camping.
I love the 992 T because it's the closest Carrera to the original spirit of the 911 with all the modern conveniences.
I love my RS for it's pure, analog, driving joy.
It's a workout and a challenge to drive that car properly... meaning at redline and to the limit of grip.
It's a tool for becoming a better driver.
But I absolutely hate driving my RS in traffic or poor roads. Its a killjoy.
The following 4 users liked this post by Wilder:
Ikone (05-10-2024), lfish (05-10-2024), Tedster (05-10-2024), Tupper (05-12-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 05:34 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
What car makes sense for you depends on...
1) roads you drive on
2) use
3) priorities

I own both.
GT cars are amazing at the track and for canyon blasts. They are occasion cars.
Some people like to convince themselves GT cars are good dailies too. I disagree.
A lot depends on what vintage Carrera and what vintage GT car we're talking about.
991.2+ Carreras are much softer and easier to drive than older cars.
991.1 and 991.2 GT cars are more road friendly than older cars and interestingly, the 992.
Before the 991, the only guys who bought RS/GT cars were track guys.
RS/GT cars used to sit at dealer lots and get discounted.
Now it's become a status symbol... like you're instantly hard core if you show up at C&C in a GT. lol

I love my Carrera for its versatility.
I would never take a GT car on a road trip, or a date, or to get coffee, or camping.
I love the 992 T because it's the closest Carrera to the original spirit of the 911 with all the modern conveniences.
I love my RS for it's pure, analog, driving joy.
It's a workout and a challenge to drive that car properly... meaning at redline and to the limit of grip.
It's a tool for becoming a better driver.
But I absolutely hate driving my RS in traffic or poor roads. Its a killjoy.
Our experiences/expectations are different

The following is 992 GT specific... I'm don't think people are "convincing" themselves the GT3 is a good daily car but I do think it is a perfectly fine daily. Great on a date or a coffee run. And it's not particularly different than the GTS in traffic or a poor road. In spring/summer/fall, I drive it every single day I can to work, for groceries, picking up pizza, you name it. I actually get grumpy when I need to take my other vehicle (usually for practicality reasons or when I have more than one person).

I've never once gotten out of the GT3 after driving it and thought "killjoy". If anything, when I "need" to take my wife's X7 or my truck, that is a killjoy! . I wonder how much of your perspective is GT3 RS vs non-RS? Meaning the RS is another level of intense versus the non-RS.

Regardless, I think views on this vary greatly and really based on what someone prefers in terms of the experience when they drive.

Last edited by gthal; 05-10-2024 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:44 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,186 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
I wonder how much of your perspective is GT3 RS vs non-RS? Meaning the RS is another level of intense versus the non-RS.

Regardless, I think views on this vary greatly and really based on what someone prefers in terms of the experience when they drive.
My RS is a 997.1. I also own a 997..2 GT3. Same thing. Like I said, depends on what roads you drive on, how you use the car, and your priorities. Maybe you have access to decent roads where you live. I have to drive on ****ty roads and speed bumps to get to good roads or the track and driving on ****ty roads is a pain. You say you use your car in the spring... well, I drive my Carrera year round, rain or shine, I've put a roof top tent and camped at the beach, I've done 6k mi road trips and I've done 14hrs driving nonstop. None of these things I would ever do on an GT car. I could. I chose not to when I can do it in a Carrera, and I like loud cars with stiff suspensions, but for specific use. Sure, anyone can seasonally drive a GT car to work and stop for groceries. But that's not how many of us use our cars. Me? I like the right tool for the job and GT cars and not ideal for many, many things that Carreras simply do better. Lastly, I purposely passed on the GTS because I find it over engined and over sprung for the chassis so it's not a great comparison with a GT3. As far as Carreras go, I find no PASM too soft, PASM is less soft but soft nonetheless, SPASM perfect and GTS SPASM overdone (stiffer spring rates, different brakes).
Old 05-10-2024, 08:46 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 744 Posts

yes, sure would not mind.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:42 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 250 Posts

The 992 GT3 is my personal halo car. Really want one but ordered and am enjoying a brand new 2024 Carrera S with a manual transmission. While I think about upgrading to a GT3 Touring, I am feeling like for street use, the S is truly more of the “touring” car. Now, would I enjoy the 9,000 RPM NA engine and the cool factor which comes with the Touring, you bet. But, with that said, I suspect the car is not really worth $125,000.00 more than the S. Seems to me, so many people acquire the GT3 and then sell the car soon after. I also worry that the 992.1 GT3 market is about to take a significant nose dive.

So, I keep looking and waiting.

Quick Reply: Do you wish you had a GT3