Sponsored by:

Over optioned GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 10:24 PM
TuvaD
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by brianja
I went back and forth on this on my build (scheduled for delivery 12/21) as well and wound up having my decision made for my because Porsche won't do gloss black on the sport design package for a PTS car.

The gloss black accents look rich and premium. I think they are great, but I had similar concerns about them showing swirls, etc. in the long run. My PPF installer told me that he would be fine with wrapping all of the gloss trim (bumper vents, rear diffuser, window trim, etc.) so that wouldn't be a concern any longer.

I have the standard black trim on my current 991.1 and after nearly 9 years it still looks absolutely perfect with very little maintenance. I'm perfectly content with my new order having the matte trim and not worrying about it.
Good to know. Thanks for the insights.

Any chance you can share your build? Just curious...
Old 07-27-2021, 09:50 AM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by TuvaD
Good to know. Thanks for the insights.

Any chance you can share your build? Just curious...
@TuvaD - Check your PMs.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:53 AM
TuvaD
Racer

Originally Posted by brianja
@TuvaD - Check your PMs.
Thanks!
Old 07-29-2021, 12:05 AM
TuvaD
Racer

Does anybody think that Night Vision Assist is worth it?

It’s often foggy in and around SF and misty in the mountains so curious if this is really helpful or more of a gimmick.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:37 AM
Thescout13
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TuvaD;[url=tel:17576288
17576288[/url]]Does anybody think that Night Vision Assist is worth it?

It’s often foggy in and around SF and misty in the mountains so curious if this is really helpful or more of a gimmick.
I think it’s really helpful if you live somewhere with a lot of deer/elk and not well lit backroads. I always thought it was a gimmick until I was in a friend’s 7 series driving through some NC backroads where it picked up a deer way before we were able to actually see it and we were able to stop in time and avoid a collision. Since I now drive maybe <1% of the time in areas like that here in SoCal, I didn’t personally think I needed it for my use case, but if I ever moved out into the country with a high deer population, I’d definitely consider it.

For your use case I would say it’s 50/50 depending on the deer population where you like to drive. To Alice’s? Maybe not, but deeper into the mountains east of the bay then maybe.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:40 PM
TuvaD
Racer

Originally Posted by Thescout13
I think it’s really helpful if you live somewhere with a lot of deer/elk and not well lit backroads. I always thought it was a gimmick until I was in a friend’s 7 series driving through some NC backroads where it picked up a deer way before we were able to actually see it and we were able to stop in time and avoid a collision. Since I now drive maybe <1% of the time in areas like that here in SoCal, I didn’t personally think I needed it for my use case, but if I ever moved out into the country with a high deer population, I’d definitely consider it.

For your use case I would say it’s 50/50 depending on the deer population where you like to drive. To Alice’s? Maybe not, but deeper into the mountains east of the bay then maybe.
Thanks!
Old 07-29-2021, 08:48 PM
TuvaD
Racer

Three quick questions re: the Protection Film - Front option:

1. Is the film applied at the factory or port?

2. Is Porsche's film equal (or better) quality to what you can get aftermarket from an installer?

3. Has anyone optioned it...and been disappointed with the quality, fit, or look?

Since I'm hoping to pick up my GTS from the Experience Center in LA (if possible) and drive it up to SF, it would be easier to have the film already applied versus getting it added at a SoCal installer that I'm unfamiliar with.

Any thoughts much appreciated.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,051 Likes on 5,250 Posts

1. Is the film applied at the factory or port? PORT

2. Is Porsche's film equal (or better) quality to what you can get aftermarket from an installer? Neither; it's inferior.

3. Has anyone optioned it...and been disappointed with the quality, fit, or look? N/A

Since I'm hoping to pick up my GTS from the Experience Center in LA (if possible) and drive it up to SF, it would be easier to have the film already applied versus getting it added at a SoCal installer that I'm unfamiliar with.

My responses in RED.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:46 AM
DrewTJ50
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 54 Posts

1. Is the film applied at the factory or port?

2. Is Porsche's film equal (or better) quality to what you can get aftermarket from an installer?

3. Has anyone optioned it...and been disappointed with the quality, fit, or look?

I made that same drive in my new 992 last week. Xpel tractape worked great. PECLA pickup is awesome btw.

The following users liked this post:
smiles11 (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 05:04 PM
TuvaD
Racer

Originally Posted by DrewTJ50
I made that same drive in my new 992 last week. Xpel tractape worked great. PECLA pickup is awesome btw.

Ah - OK, thanks for the tip!
Old 07-30-2021, 05:33 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

I used XPEL Tracwrap for my 500 mile drive home from PEC-ATL and had 0 blemishes. Halfway up the hood, front bumper and part of the side fenders and mirrors. Works great and easy to apply!

The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (08-04-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 07:52 PM
harrish1985
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

You could say the same about Southeast FL. In any given week I see multiple La Ferraris, Paganis, AV SVJs, Bugattis etc. No state income tax is a big plus super lax policies and not many regulations make it phenomenal. Great culinary experience, beautiful women and amazing weather as well.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:53 PM
TuvaD
Racer

I noticed that there is only one interior package on the configurator that gives that race-tex roof lining + A/B/C pillars. It's option #3: Leather / Race-Tex Interior.

No other package (including the dedicated "Roof Lining in Race-Tex" option) mentions the C-pillar being covered in race-tex.

Does anyone have any insight on whether that is a mistake and the C-pillar is always covered/included?
Old 08-02-2021, 06:44 PM
HPTX
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by harrish1985
You could say the same about Southeast FL. In any given week I see multiple La Ferraris, Paganis, AV SVJs, Bugattis etc. No state income tax is a big plus super lax policies and not many regulations make it phenomenal. Great culinary experience, beautiful women and amazing weather as well.
Suspect any financially savvy guy in CA is well aware he is paying 15%/yr in incremental income taxes to be a CA tax resident

If one does not prioritize cars/driving; nr-perfect yr-round weather (w/o insects, critters, etc); and great daily dining choices, would obviously flee to Dallas or Miami, either of which has 0% state income taxes; and hot girls tend to travel to any town w/enough guys w/big $

But Dallas or Miami (or any other place w/many wealthy tax refugees who fled CA or NYC) lack LA & SF's mtn roads/topography, so are non-starters for anyone who enjoys cars/driving and doesn't want to face a land of endless, straight, flat roads

Life's too short to sit on planes fleeing from Dallas/Miami, etc to Malibu to be able to actually enjoy driving one's own performance car on interesting roads, all in one's backyard, whenever one is in the mood for a spirited drive (so no need to pre-schedule a track or a flight, etc)
The following 5 users liked this post by HPTX:
Booth9999 (08-03-2021), Liste-Renn (08-03-2021), Thescout13 (08-03-2021), txpackers (08-03-2021), Yojeffo (08-02-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 01:38 AM
Thescout13
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by HPTX;[url=tel:17584620
17584620[/url]]Suspect any financially savvy guy in CA is well aware he is paying 15%/yr in incremental income taxes to be a CA tax resident

If one does not prioritize cars/driving; nr-perfect yr-round weather (w/o insects, critters, etc); and great daily dining choices, would obviously flee to Dallas or Miami, either of which has 0% state income taxes; and hot girls tend to travel to any town w/enough guys w/big $

But Dallas or Miami (or any other place w/many wealthy tax refugees who fled CA or NYC) lack LA & SF's mtn roads/topography, so are non-starters for anyone who enjoys cars/driving and doesn't want to face a land of endless, straight, flat roads

Life's too short to sit on planes fleeing from Dallas/Miami, etc to Malibu to be able to actually enjoy driving one's own performance car on interesting roads, all in one's backyard, whenever one is in the mood for a spirited drive (so no need to pre-schedule a track or a flight, etc)
Exact reason I moved from Dallas back to California after fleeing to Dallas for taxes.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thescout13:
Booth9999 (08-03-2021), cbrett (12-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Over optioned GTS?