Sponsored by:

Over optioned GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 08:32 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
Thank you for proving my point. All good, you do you.
Yes, all good here too. Great time to be a car guy!
Old 07-22-2021, 08:34 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
from where i'm sitting, california is amazing in most ways that matter. car culture is amazing there, esp compared to the northeast. that's the biggest thing i wish i had. so many people into their cars, mod shops, ppl that build racers. numerous options for raceways. fabulous environs. beautiful women. few people that move west from east ever come back in my observation.
Car culture is on another level in California. I live on the Gulf Coast and I've found good people to work with, but the depth of expertise and talent in California is just mind boggling, not to mention road/track options. Elsewhere you can struggle to find people and often have to travel to get stuff done. It's been raining here for almost 2 months straight and I think I could put up with a lot of BS for blue skies everyday.

It's just too damn expensive out there and depending on your line of work, it may not be a viable option. I know it really isn't for me. There are pros and cons anywhere you live - that much I do know. In the end, no one in this forum is struggling and happiness is definitely not based on geography.
The following users liked this post:
Master Deep (07-27-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 08:56 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Always, but always tick that extended range tank option. $230? No brainer.
Yojeffo (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 11:08 PM
TuvaD
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 78 Posts

Three more questions for the group, if I may...

1. How much more road and engine noise should I expect over the S?
I know there is officially less insulation and don't mind less refinement but on my longer drives, I'm wondering if I might regret not choosing a well-specced S.

2. Any insight on the true world benefit of the standard GTS suspension + helper springs versus the raised by 10mm option?
I expect the GTS ride to be a tad stiffer at low speed but more controlled when pressing on too. Perhaps nobody knows until we start seeing/reading the road tests but thought I'd raise it.

3. Color. When a 911 color is phased out, does you see an increase in its desirability on the used market?
I'm thinking specifically of Night Blue that apparently will only be available until the end of this year. Not sure if that color is "special" enough.

Thanks again. I'm learning a lot from you all and spending way too much on the configurator
Old 07-22-2021, 11:22 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Car culture is on another level in California. I live on the Gulf Coast and I've found good people to work with, but the depth of expertise and talent in California is just mind boggling, not to mention road/track options. Elsewhere you can struggle to find people and often have to travel to get stuff done. It's been raining here for almost 2 months straight and I think I could put up with a lot of BS for blue skies everyday.

It's just too damn expensive out there and depending on your line of work, it may not be a viable option. I know it really isn't for me. There are pros and cons anywhere you live - that much I do know. In the end, no one in this forum is struggling and happiness is definitely not based on geography.
http://www.socalcarculture.com
Old 07-22-2021, 11:23 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TuvaD

I know there is officially less insulation and don't mind less refinement but on my longer drives, I'm wondering if I might regret not choosing a well-specced S.

2. Any insight on the true world benefit of the standard GTS suspension + helper springs versus the raised by 10mm option?
I expect the GTS ride to be a tad stiffer at low speed but more controlled when pressing on too. Perhaps nobody knows until we start seeing/reading the road tests but thought I'd raise it.

3. Color. When a 911 color is phased out, does you see an increase in its desirability on the used market?
I'm thinking specifically of Night Blue that apparently will only be available until the end of this year. Not sure if that color is "special" enough.

Thanks again. I'm learning a lot from you all and spending way too much on the configurator

1) The car will be noisier. If noise is something you’re worried about then don’t get the GTS. None of these standard 911s are really all that loud, so I don’t think it is likely to be a big deal.

2) Helper springs keep the main spring loaded when the car is lifted and suspension drooped. They shouldn’t really make a difference in ride quality. The car will be stiffer I’m sure.

3) Colors come and go. Starting next year, Night Blue is a PTS color but I believe it was originally a Volkswagen color. I don’t think there is any investment potential in picking Night Blue. Get what you like.

Last edited by rk-d; 07-22-2021 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:35 AM
RRich
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by riotgear
Serious who cares? Many more pros than cons and if you live here you know what I mean.

Any given Sunday at my local shopping center. If you love cars and driving, California is hard to beat.
100% agree. CA Car scene a big thumbs up. Plenty of things not to like, but life is full of compromises. Still no other place I’d rather live.

Some of the best car shows I’ve been to were at the track.

Best car day, tracking at Willow Springs with a Senna, 2 P1’s, & a Ford GT. Pinching myself as I pass a P1.
aggie57 (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 03:17 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

No one has driven the car yet . What I can share is what I found when buying my 991.2 GTS .

1) Theres good noise and bad noise . Of course you can order an S with no sport exhaust . I personally like the sound of the engine with a little bite . You can still listen to music , make calls or sit quietly without feeling like you have a lawnmower in your ear.

2) The raised suspension is what my service adviser calls a "mature lift" . Its when you take your dropped car and turn it into an SUV edition.I have 44K miles on my car and have never scraped my lip.
I think FAL is the best of both worlds if you have doubts .

3) The great thing about your Gt silver is its timeless . Heres a photo from the Porsche museum .
Old 07-25-2021, 04:11 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

If you’re worried about road noise in any spec of a 911, be it S, Cab, base, GTS, or whatever, then maybe reconsider a 911 entirely.
detansinn (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 05:45 PM
TuvaD
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 78 Posts

How do you all feel about the exterior high gloss package, wheels and options versus the standard satin black finish parts?

e.g. build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNCVKSB5

Curious if satin black ages a bit better, shows less small scratches over time, looks less cheap/chintzy (if that’s possible on such a nice car!). On the other hand, perhaps gloss black pops a little more.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:50 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
If you’re worried about road noise in any spec of a 911, be it S, Cab, base, GTS, or whatever, then maybe reconsider a 911 entirely.
Seriously. This is not a quiet car. It also doesn't ride like a Lexus. These aren't bad things. I don't mean this in an ugly way, but I wonder if some people would be happier in a BMW
Old 07-25-2021, 06:56 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Seriously. This is not a quiet car. It also doesn't ride like a Lexus. These aren't bad things. I don't mean this in an ugly way, but I wonder if some people would be happier in a BMW
I've seen a couple guys I know who are used to Cadillacs, BMWs, and the like get their first 911 or Z06 and regret their choice as the high performance sports car they purchased is not quite and smooth like the luxury rides they have driven for many years.
Porsche does seem to be making an effort to accommodate the suits and briefcase boys with quite stock exhausts, available acoustic glass, and a cookbook of other soft ball options.
An M850i might be a better choice for some of these guys. A full boat sports car can only be so soft and quite.

Last edited by phaser; 07-25-2021 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:53 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 824 Likes on 457 Posts

Hi all,

Any thoughts on this GTS build? e.g. I feel the need to add yellow interior elements to better complement the PCCBs…but wondering if it’s a bit OTT?

PNB23PV2
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNB23PV2

Appreciate your feedback!

My C4S had a sticker of $182K plus I added $6500 in PPF... I did get a 6% discount, but it wasn't over optioned in my book!
Old 07-26-2021, 09:40 AM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 268 Posts

How do you all feel about the exterior high gloss package, wheels and options versus the standard satin black finish parts?

e.g. build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNCVKSB5

Curious if satin black ages a bit better, shows less small scratches over time, looks less cheap/chintzy (if that’s possible on such a nice car!). On the other hand, perhaps gloss black pops a little more.
I went back and forth on this on my build (scheduled for delivery 12/21) as well and wound up having my decision made for my because Porsche won't do gloss black on the sport design package for a PTS car.

The gloss black accents look rich and premium. I think they are great, but I had similar concerns about them showing swirls, etc. in the long run. My PPF installer told me that he would be fine with wrapping all of the gloss trim (bumper vents, rear diffuser, window trim, etc.) so that wouldn't be a concern any longer.

I have the standard black trim on my current 991.1 and after nearly 9 years it still looks absolutely perfect with very little maintenance. I'm perfectly content with my new order having the matte trim and not worrying about it.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:49 PM
dj997
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Anyone know if there are any new "special" colors on the horizon. Seems like lava orange and chalk have been around for awhile.

Quick Reply: Over optioned GTS?