Over optioned GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 02:13 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
At $240k you start to wonder if you should get a GT3 touring 🤪
lol. If it looked like the 991.2 GT3T and had a back seat, I might have gone that way.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
detansinn (07-21-2021), dhirm5 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 02:24 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
lol. If it looked like the 991.2 GT3T and had a back seat, I might have gone that way.
+1 on backseat. I’ve seen some used 991.2 GT3T on the market for $220-$240k, but I can’t wrap my head around spending that much on a second-hand car
Old 07-21-2021, 02:37 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
At $240k you start to wonder if you should get a GT3 touring 🤪
I have a 992 Turbo S ($246k MSRP) with a deposit on a GT3 RS. GT3/T/RS doesn’t have back seats, which I need for a daily driver and 2 small kids. The GT3 RS will be a dedicated track/canyon car.

Last edited by riotgear; 07-21-2021 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:58 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,539 Likes on 5,063 Posts

Just get it the way you want.

Who cares.

It's only money.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
dhirm5 (07-21-2021), mikey94025 (07-21-2021), SamD (07-24-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 03:24 PM
HPTX
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

No need to rationalize any discretionary choice like a >>$150K car

Always find the (non-GTx) 911 rear seat justification to be amusing

From a basic safety standpoint, wouldn't put any-size humans, nor unsecured luggage/objects, in rear seat area of any 911

That rear seat area is just part of the rear crumple zone to protect the driver if rear-ended, esp on high-speed, dense-traffic freeways, in an emergent braking situation, where a new 911's quite effective perf tires & PCCB are part-friend and part-enemy, given likely inept drivers w/inept tires & brakes are (too closely) following one's 911
The following users liked this post:
Drew46 (01-01-2022)
Old 07-21-2021, 03:44 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Originally Posted by HPTX

From a basic safety standpoint, wouldn't put any-size humans, nor unsecured luggage/objects, in rear seat area of any 911

That rear seat area is just part of the rear crumple zone to protect the driver if rear-ended, esp on high-speed, dense-traffic freeways, in an emergent braking situation, where a new 911's quite effective perf tires & PCCB are part-friend and part-enemy, given likely inept drivers w/inept tires & brakes are (too closely) following one's 911
Porsche would not have a 2+2 car that puts passengers in a crumple zone. Nice try though.

Some like to involve their family in the experience. Some like to drive alone or have a plus one. I prefer the former.
The following 2 users liked this post by smiles11:
detansinn (07-21-2021), ThomasCarreraGTS (07-22-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 03:47 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HPTX

I, like many 911 owners who use the rear seats have other cars as a primary form of transportation for our family, but on the occasional times when my kids want to come to a car event it’s helpful. Also having rear seats helped to rationalize why I needed a Turbo S and GT3 RS to my wife. 😂

The following 5 users liked this post by riotgear:
detansinn (07-21-2021), icanthelpit (08-03-2021), Mark S (07-21-2021), smiles11 (07-21-2021), Watson (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 04:55 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by TuvaD
Hi all,

Any thoughts on this GTS build? e.g. I feel the need to add yellow interior elements to better complement the PCCBs…but wondering if it’s a bit OTT?

PNB23PV2
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNB23PV2

Appreciate your feedback!
So far I really like it. Not light on options but the touches of yellow I could see look good.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:19 AM
TuvaD
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
First question
Where are you located? You optioned headlights won't work in the USA and will be kneecapped to work just like the ones you don't pay extra for.
Next up.. comments..
People here have complained about the Sport Chrono Stopwatch in white and yellow - reflection on the window issues I think?
The extended range fuel tank and PCCB would be for track use normally - that's the plan right?

The Front Axle Lift (FAL) is also location dependent. Where I live (Chicago area) it seems it would be a waste. I recently drove around San Diego and wow - not sure how you would live without lt there.
As noted, have the the PPF put on by a local pro.
Thanks to you and everyone else for the insightful feedback.

Re: your questions.

1. Front axle lift. I’m in San Francisco so hilly, poorly surfaced roads unfortunately. Thinking about adding the raised by 10mm PASM option to help. Any thoughts on that versus keeping the standard suspension with helper springs?

2. Extended fuel tank and PCCBs. I blast up to Tahoe, Yosemite, Oregon, etc. so the thinking was max gas range + hyper capable, fade-free braking on mountain passes.

Noted on having the PPF done by a third party. I’d like a Turbo for sure but don’t want to push up that high in cost, once I spec it up.

Still noodling color combos so no update on that yet.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:31 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

1. Front axle lift. I’m in San Francisco so hilly, poorly surfaced roads unfortunately. Thinking about adding the raised by 10mm PASM option to help. Any thoughts on that versus keeping the standard suspension with helper springs?

2. Extended fuel tank and PCCBs. I blast up to Tahoe, Yosemite, Oregon, etc. so the thinking was max gas range + hyper capable, fade-free braking on mountain passes.
Yes, agreed - California, I tihnk primarily cause when it finally rains, you need massive ditches/culverts/etc, that FAL is required. As noted, some areas of the country (as they call us from Illinois "flatlanders" save the cash). And yes, I would just go with the standard suspension and skip the SPASM/Sport option (the car handles unbelievable).

I'm driving city only and getting about 250 miles per tank on the standard tank. For my drive, I can't see needing or wanting the bigger tank - but, and here goes, cause the almighty PCCB crowd is ruthless - the standard brakes on the 992 are awesome and you are NOT going to get fade on them driving to tahoe (god I love that view/ride).. But if you have $9K burning a hole in your pocket or like the look of the yellow calipers, then go forth! And don't fall for the "yea, but no brake dust", cause a) that's a lot of frekin money to avoid brake dust and b) I have the RS wheels and don't see much brake dust on the standard wheels anyway.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:45 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Noted on having the PPF done by a third party. I’d like a Turbo for sure but don’t want to push up that high in cost, once I spec it up.

I’m in the Bay Area too and FAL is a must. I have SPASM and I’m lowering my Turbo S for what it’s worth.

Last edited by riotgear; 07-22-2021 at 02:53 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:53 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

PCCB's are great brakes but it depends if the car is a daily or long term keeper . As a daily that racks up miles upon trade they won't fetch much back . The used shopper is afraid of an expense . They aren't even as expensive as rumored . They last longer and service is less frequent . The big problem is if a stone gets in the wheel well . If cracked its expensive . The steel are great brakes and are free.

I didn't comment on the build itself . You picked what you felt you needed . I built about 30 cars before I decided on the final one. I went as low as 138K (nearly stripped) and as high as 170K . Since I have 3 of these cars I try to spec the daily ones within the pricing of MRM parameters . I dont lease them however I learned by watching my dealership building lot cars . They price them so that the walk in shopper can either buy it or lease it . Miami has a big lease crowd and cars way over MRM get creamed on the monthly tab . If none of this matters then keep it the way it is . It's beautiful.

If you are curious at where I ended mine its here .http://www.porsche-code.com/PNSG42B8
Old 07-22-2021, 03:59 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

If you’re not tracking the car, the extended tank isn’t going to add much value in the real world. I had it on my 991 GT3 and it was great at the track because I didn’t have to go find gas between sessions. I recently drove my Turbo S to LA and back and found it to be good on gas consumption and mileage. I definitely didn’t feel like it needed more capacity.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:18 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by riotgear
If you’re not tracking the car, the extended tank isn’t going to add much value in the real world. I had it on my 991 GT3 and it was great at the track because I didn’t have to go find gas between sessions. I recently drove my Turbo S to LA and back and found it to be good on gas consumption and mileage. I definitely didn’t feel like it needed more capacity.
In Florida when a hurricane bears down gas stations pile up with long lines of people who not only fill their tanks but get extra cans for generators . If it hits many stations lose power . Electric cars are in deep manure and with an ICE car every sip might become handy. Its not an expensive option no matter where one lives.

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-22-2021 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:01 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yrralis1
In Florida when a hurricane bears down gas stations pile up with long lines of people who not only fill their tanks but get extra cans for generators . If it hits many stations lose power . Electric cars are in deep manure and with an ICE car every sip might become handy. Its not an expensive option no matter where one lives.
1.) The guy lives in California 2.) If a hurricane bears down I’m taking my diesel powered 4x4 truck, not a 911 3.) What does electric cars have to do with this?

Quick Reply: Over optioned GTS?