Sponsored by:

GTS vs. GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 11:09 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by phaser
I'm confused as to why some guys are so adamant about who shops this model, compares that model, etc. Understand that everyone who is considering a 992 is not an expert on this stuff. Why not look at them all and then pursue the one that best suits your preferences. If you live in this area and you want to go out this morning and buy any 992 from dealer stock you can't as there are none, obviously this will change.
At the end of the day, I don't care what people do with their money. It's a message board and I have an opinion. That and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:03 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

I'm confused as to why some guys are so adamant about who shops this model, compares that model, etc. Understand that everyone who is considering a 992 is not an expert on this stuff. Why not look at them all and then pursue the one that best suits your preferences. If you live in this area and you want to go out this morning and buy any 992 from dealer stock you can't as there are none, obviously this will change.
I'm just confused as to why people have such strong views about cars they haven't even seen let alone driven yet.
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
CO 992 (07-20-2021), smiles11 (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 12:24 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I didn't buy a 991.1 . I have owned two Turbos . A 993 Turbo and still have my 14 year old modded 997.1 Turbo (which BTW was faster than the last gen Turbo S) . We already know what the Turbo S can do (1/4 mi , standing mile , roll race... in short straight line). It would beat a gt3 at any of those things . At the track the Gt3 would destroy it . Look at these ring times . 992 Turbo S is only 5 seconds faster than my 991.2 GTS that I am trading on the next one . The Gt3 goes under 7 minutes !!!!
https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleifeT

Comparing the cars themselves the Gt3 is a totally DIFFERENT AT EVERYTHING . If you wish to compare them be my guest . We can compare a pig and a dog and say both are animals with 4 legs but thats about how far off the Gt3 is from a Turbo S. It is lighter , normally aspirated , seamless , nimble and IMO the more most pure 911 . I realize some guys daily drive them but I am not planning to do that . Thats why I chose a GTS . I prefer a RWD 911 . I like the feeling of being pushed where the wheels are just steering and AWD detracts from some of that despite rear wheel bias .

I know that a lot of Turbo S guys want to feel like they bought the best because after all it is the highest priced. It might even be the best for THEIR life .. but not mine . Thats why Porsche offers a variety of variants .

As for resale RKD does have a point "nowadays" has been very different than the past .
You're preaching to the choir on the differences between a Turbo S and GT3. I have a deposit on a GT3RS and owned a 991 GT3, so I understand the differences between the variants, yet you’re missing my point. My 992 Turbo S is a daily driver. The original comparison is between a GTS and a GT3. In my opinion if you’re comparing a GTS, then you might as well compare the Turbo S since neither is track focused. The GTS is not a track car. The Turbo S will do everything better than the GTS and is similarly priced to the GT3T if you factor in ADM.

Last edited by riotgear; 07-20-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:54 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
I'm just confused as to why people have such strong views about cars they haven't even seen let alone driven yet.
Just as confused as you are on that subject. Lots of strong feelings and expert opinions on the various models. I know a guy who is currently cross shopping a Base Carrera and an M4 Comp along with a C8. Perfectly rational car oriented guy. What any body ends up with in this crazy environment could very well be what you can get vs your 1st choice.

Last edited by phaser; 07-20-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:05 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Just as confused as you are on that subject. Lots of strong feelings and expert opinions on the various models. I know a guy who is currently cross shopping a Base Carrera and an M4 Comp along with a C8. Perfectly rational car oriented guy. What any body ends up with in this crazy environment could very well be what you can get vs your 1st choice.
Those 3 make sense to cross shop. All are in the same price range and are similar in performance. Now if you said he was cross shopping a base Carrera vs M4 vs F8 Tributo I would be scratching my head. That’s what the GTS vs GT3T comparison sounds like to me.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:39 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by riotgear
Those 3 make sense to cross shop. All are in the same price range and are similar in performance. Now if you said he was cross shopping a base Carrera vs M4 vs F8 Tributo I would be scratching my head. That’s what the GTS vs GT3T comparison sounds like to me.
GTS to GT3T, aside from ADM, are easily in the same price range.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:54 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhirm5
GTS to GT3T, aside from ADM, are easily in the same price range.
The 991 GT3T is going for north of $200k. Getting a 992 variant for MSRP is not going to happen. We’ve seen this movie before.

Last edited by riotgear; 07-20-2021 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:58 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by riotgear
991 GT3T are going for north of $200k. Getting a 992 variant for MSRP is not going to happen. We’ve seen this movie before.
for ****s, i just configured up a touring the way i'd like it. 185k. my gts is 178. may as well be the same number. times are def unusual right now - but plenty of people got their 991/.2 GT cars at msrp, especially a year or so after initial release. if you must have it as soon as possible, yes, there's a big delta. if you don't mind waiting, things will settle down.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:03 PM
NA2
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 56 Posts

for the many folks that only want an NA engine, manual transmission, and RWD there are one two P-car choices.... GT3 or 718 GT4/GTS. i'll keep my 991.1 GTS because i refuse to pay a big ADM for a 992 Touring (which I would buy in a hot second if at sticker). But if I didn't have my current car I'd probably be speccing a new Cayman GTS 4.0. I have a friend who just got an allocation on one at 3% off MSRP.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:05 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NA2
for the many folks that only want an NA engine, manual transmission, and RWD there are one two P-car choices.... GT3 or 718 GT4/GTS. i'll keep my 991.1 GTS because i refuse to pay a big ADM for a 992 Touring (which I would buy in a hot second if at sticker). But if I didn't have my current car I'd probably be speccing a new Cayman GTS 4.0. I have a friend who just got an allocation on one at 3% off MSRP.
i'm relatively patient about these things; the thrill of the chase carries it's own charm. i'd go ahead and wait for a touring, but i want open air this time around. i may pick up a 992 speedster when they're released for the best of both worlds.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:21 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhirm5
for ****s, i just configured up a touring the way i'd like it. 185k. my gts is 178. may as well be the same number. times are def unusual right now - but plenty of people got their 991/.2 GT cars at msrp, especially a year or so after initial release. if you must have it as soon as possible, yes, there's a big delta. if you don't mind waiting, things will settle down.
Good luck with that.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:27 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
So you haven't driven the 992TTS.

You can't really apply what you know about the older Turbos to the new one. It's a different car and Porsche has changed their approach to its performance.

re: GTS you said that it "takes some of the numbness out" vis a vis throttle response. We don't know how the new GTS drives and how it will compare to the TTS. Personally, I've not been enthralled with the 992 Carrera/S throttle response.

Re: Cross shopping - you can cross shop a GT3T with a Jeep if you want to, the point is that from a model hierarchy and objective performance standpoint, the TTS is probably more logical comparator.
Do you drive cars that you lack interest in ? I have no interest in buying an AWD 911 . It's that simple . I also don't drive Cabs , That does not mean I judge the person who does . However if someone inserts themselves on a thread where two cars are being discussed with a THIRD car not mentioned in the title I gave my answer . It doest make it a bad car . It's just not on my radar .

Regarding the throttle -- When Porsche decided to go all turbo in the 911 they did make a distinction with the proper Turbo and the cars which were once normally aspirated . They took the base car, the S, and the GTS (coupes, cabs targas etc) and tried to come as close to a normally aspirated feel as possible . They ended up with something completely different than a typical NA or a typical Turbo. I actually found it better for the street and surely adequate at the track . It can never be a normally aspirated car but it does have some linear feel to it and I enjoyed my 991.2 GTS enough to buy a new one WITHOUT ever driving one .

Porsche has come along way since I bought my first 911 (a 993) . As the platform grew and the comfort amenities increased it was a huge departure from the original cars . Thats why I didn't buy a 991.1 . I needed time to sort out why they ruined the 997.2 in my view . I was pleasantly surprised that the larger car improved and matured just like I got older too .

I dont know or care if you were driving the cars back then or what you choose now . Everyone picks what he likes .
I dont feel the original poster's question was out of line . Most people just answered it .
Pretty simple really.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:30 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Exactly !!! People pick what they like and many consider a variety of things which are part of their personal decisions.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:22 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Do you drive cars that you lack interest in ? I have no interest in buying an AWD 911 . It's that simple . I also don't drive Cabs , That does not mean I judge the person who does . However if someone inserts themselves on a thread where two cars are being discussed with a THIRD car not mentioned in the title I gave my answer . It doest make it a bad car . It's just not on my radar .

Regarding the throttle -- When Porsche decided to go all turbo in the 911 they did make a distinction with the proper Turbo and the cars which were once normally aspirated . They took the base car, the S, and the GTS (coupes, cabs targas etc) and tried to come as close to a normally aspirated feel as possible . They ended up with something completely different than a typical NA or a typical Turbo. I actually found it better for the street and surely adequate at the track . It can never be a normally aspirated car but it does have some linear feel to it and I enjoyed my 991.2 GTS enough to buy a new one WITHOUT ever driving one .

Porsche has come along way since I bought my first 911 (a 993) . As the platform grew and the comfort amenities increased it was a huge departure from the original cars . Thats why I didn't buy a 991.1 . I needed time to sort out why they ruined the 997.2 in my view . I was pleasantly surprised that the larger car improved and matured just like I got older too .

I dont know or care if you were driving the cars back then or what you choose now . Everyone picks what he likes .
I dont feel the original poster's question was out of line . Most people just answered it .
Pretty simple really.
Again. You are commenting on a car that you've never driven and giving an opinion on how it drives. You don't like the 992TTS? Fine. Who cares. But if you want to offer an opinion on the way the car drives based on zero experience, you're going to get called out on it.

Last edited by rk-d; 07-20-2021 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:34 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rk-d
Again. You are commenting on a car that you've never driven and giving an opinion on how it drives. You don't like the 992TTS? Fine. Who cares. But if you want to offer an opinion on the way the car drives based on zero experience, you're going to get called out on it.
I have driven every Turbo except this new one and they all had a huge difference from the Gt3 . This isn't rocket science to know this . . I dont have to dive in lava to know its hot . Besides the Turbo S was not even the thread title . Someone else inserted it (as a reply to me) and then you dragged yourself into this .

Be glad I dont want a Turbo . Be glad I dont even want to drive it. Its one more that you can buy .

Quick Reply: GTS vs. GT3 Touring