Sponsored by:

GTS vs. GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 11:19 PM
Acken
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I went though this process extensively before deciding. I have always wanted a Gt3 and even considered the wing car in the mix. The crux of the choice canned down to this - do I want a daily driver or a long term part time car. My current 991.2 GTS has 44K miles on it . I have driven its anywhere I need to go and it has been comfortable and reliable. It has been the best daily driving 911 I ever had . I already have one garage queen 911 .It's a modified 2007 997 Turbo (manual) . It was my dream car 14 years ago and I am not letting it go.

So the choice was easy .. GTS .

Yes , it makes sense
Old 07-18-2021, 11:38 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

The Gt3 has and ultra light flywheel and even had one of the seasoned auto journalists nearly stalling it out . Its not an issue for me as I have a stage 3 clutch in one of my cars where a guy in. New Zealand with the same clutch told me he nearly fell off a mountain learning it. Plus there is no way I'd get a manual 7 speed in this turbo non turbo car . The PDK is way above it in efficiency . The 7 spacing is hideous and my test drives in city didn't take me to the higher gears but I was told its a boost loss disaster .
That’s just not true. On the road the only place I’ve ever found an obvious ratio gap is between 1 and 2 when starting on a hill, otherwise you ride the torque and it’s very smooth. Not quite sure what you mean by ‘boost loss disaster’ either, for sure in urban roads if you’re driving it naturally, i.e. using some revs and not short shifting, you hardly ever see above 4th. But if you’re just cruising then it’ll happily sit in 6th with traffic no issues at all.

To be clear, this is not a ‘manual is better than PDK’ or whatever. Just calling out some errors after 6200 miles in a 992 MT.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:37 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
That’s just not true. On the road the only place I’ve ever found an obvious ratio gap is between 1 and 2 when starting on a hill, otherwise you ride the torque and it’s very smooth. Not quite sure what you mean by ‘boost loss disaster’ either, for sure in urban roads if you’re driving it naturally, i.e. using some revs and not short shifting, you hardly ever see above 4th. But if you’re just cruising then it’ll happily sit in 6th with traffic no issues at all.

To be clear, this is not a ‘manual is better than PDK’ or whatever. Just calling out some errors after 6200 miles in a 992 MT.
I happen to like both manual and PDK equally. However unless I were looking at an older Turbo (which I also have) vs Tiptronic (dated and replaced by PDK) there is no contest . PDK not only maintains boost on upshifts but doesnt have the ill spaced 7 speed. An NA 6 speed was a joy to own in contrast . PDK is also a joy with a turbo . It's not a manual vs PDK discussion but rather where I would select each fo the specifics of that car.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:22 AM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by bpiorczyn
I’d actually be really interested to see which is faster 0-60 gts or touring (both pdk) thoughts? Obviously around a track it wouldn’t be close.
GTS will be way faster to 60.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:37 AM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaye Bass
GTS will be way faster to 60.
Yeah, high 2 second zone for sure for the GTS as the S can break the 3 second mark. 1/4 mile traps will be interesting to compare between the S, GTS, and GT3 Touring. I've seen many tests of the 992S with one as high as 125 MPH trap, That is cookin.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:44 AM
phaser
Banned

I went though this process extensively before deciding. I have always wanted a Gt3 and even considered the wing car in the mix. The crux of the choice canned down to this - do I want a daily driver or a long term part time car. My current 991.2 GTS has 44K miles on it . I have driven its anywhere I need to go and it has been comfortable and reliable. It has been the best daily driving 911 I ever had . I already have one garage queen 911 .It's a modified 2007 997 Turbo (manual) . It was my dream car 14 years ago and I am not letting it go.

So the choice was easy .. GTS .
Yet another cross shopper that some say don't exist. Good to hear your thoughts! Many different perspectives with as many choices as there are.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:37 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
This. Plus the kid thing. I don’t like the GTS package and want the back seats so neither is all that appealing. Stick with my S.
Exact reason I went with a Turbo S over a GT3 this time around.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:39 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phaser
Yet another cross shopper that some say don't exist. Good to hear your thoughts! Many different perspectives with as many choices as there are.
Not sure why someone would cross shop a GTS vs GT3 Touring rather than a Turbo/S vs GT3 touring. The latter being more comparable in performance and price.
The following users liked this post:
rk-d (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 08:30 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by riotgear
Not sure why someone would cross shop a GTS vs GT3 Touring rather than a Turbo/S vs GT3 touring. The latter being more comparable in performance and price.
Its not about price . They are also not comparable in performance . The Turbo S is an AWD sledgehammer with a numb throttle compared to a normally aspirated RWD Gt3 . The GTS takes some of that numbness out and throws in a splash of practical amenities for daily street use . Just a sidetone on price .... Turbo S drops like a rock in depreciation . Gt3 touring are even limited by numbers to the wing car . They hold value and at times even go up . There really is no price comparison.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:43 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Its not about price . They are also not comparable in performance . The Turbo S is an AWD sledgehammer with a numb throttle compared to a normally aspirated RWD Gt3 . The GTS takes some of that numbness out and throws in a splash of practical amenities for daily street use . Just a sidetone on price .... Turbo S drops like a rock in depreciation . Gt3 touring are even limited by numbers to the wing car . They hold value and at times even go up . There really is no price comparison.
Have you driven a 992 TTS? And I’m not sure how you can compare it to the GTS which no one has driven.

Turbo S depreciation is a non issue, especially nowadays. Ever since the 991.2 generation, depreciation has been fine. I did quite well on my 991.2 Turbo.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:46 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

You obviously haven’t drive the 992 Turbo S. Much more GT DNA that the previous generation. All your info is based on the 991.1 experience. Maybe use Google and do some research before just “saying stuff”.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:46 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by riotgear
You obviously haven’t drive the 992 Turbo S. Much more GT DNA that the previous generation. All your info is based on the 991.1 experience. Maybe use Google and do some research before just “saying stuff”.
I didn't buy a 991.1 . I have owned two Turbos . A 993 Turbo and still have my 14 year old modded 997.1 Turbo (which BTW was faster than the last gen Turbo S) . We already know what the Turbo S can do (1/4 mi , standing mile , roll race... in short straight line). It would beat a gt3 at any of those things . At the track the Gt3 would destroy it . Look at these ring times . 992 Turbo S is only 5 seconds faster than my 991.2 GTS that I am trading on the next one . The Gt3 goes under 7 minutes !!!!
https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleifeT

Comparing the cars themselves the Gt3 is a totally DIFFERENT AT EVERYTHING . If you wish to compare them be my guest . We can compare a pig and a dog and say both are animals with 4 legs but thats about how far off the Gt3 is from a Turbo S. It is lighter , normally aspirated , seamless , nimble and IMO the more most pure 911 . I realize some guys daily drive them but I am not planning to do that . Thats why I chose a GTS . I prefer a RWD 911 . I like the feeling of being pushed where the wheels are just steering and AWD detracts from some of that despite rear wheel bias .

I know that a lot of Turbo S guys want to feel like they bought the best because after all it is the highest priced. It might even be the best for THEIR life .. but not mine . Thats why Porsche offers a variety of variants .

As for resale RKD does have a point "nowadays" has been very different than the past .

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-20-2021 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:11 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rk-d
Have you driven a 992 TTS? And I’m not sure how you can compare it to the GTS which no one has driven.

Turbo S depreciation is a non issue, especially nowadays. Ever since the 991.2 generation, depreciation has been fine. I did quite well on my 991.2 Turbo.
I wasn't comparing a Turbo S to a GTS . . The original statement that I replied to was. :" Not sure why someone would cross shop a GTS to a Gt3 Touring rather than a Turbo/S Vs a Gt3 Touring ."

So lets be clear on what I was comparing and BTW I can compare or cross shop any cars I want . I have seen people people cross shop cars in. completely different domains because they are looking for what fits best in their life . So when a guy says he debating a Macan Vs a Cayman I dont judge him . He's internally debating practical vs fun and trying to figure out which he could live and be happy with daily .

Realistically a Turbo S is more practical and daily capable for the street than a Gt3 .The Turbo S was not even the thread title but he threw it in and I gave my answer as to why I am not interested in a Turbo or Turbo S . Choosing a different variant does not mean the others are not right for someone else

The GTS is right for ME and apparently there are others here who also chose it . Everyone know the Turbo S exists as well as the Gt3 . It still led a few to the GTS alongside me .

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-20-2021 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:11 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

I wasn't comparing a Turbo S to a GTS . . The original statement that I replied to was. :" Not sure why someone would cross shop a GTS to a Gt3 Touring rather than a Turbo/S Vs a Gt3 Touring ."

So lets be clear on what I was comparing and BTW I can compare or cross shop any cars I want . I have seen people people cross shop cars in. completely different domains because they are looking for what fits best in their life . So when a guy says he debating a Macan Vs a Cayman I dont judge him . He's internally debating practical vs fun and trying to figure out which he could live and be happy with daily .

Realistically a Turbo S is more practical and daily capable for the street than a Gt3 .The Turbo S was not even the thread title but he threw it in and I gave my answer as to why I am not interested in a Turbo or Turbo S . Choosing a different variant does not mean the others are not right for someone else

The GTS is right for ME and apparently there are others here who also chose it . Everyone know the Turbo S exists as well as the Gt3 . It still led a few to the GTS alongside me .

So you haven't driven the 992TTS.

You can't really apply what you know about the older Turbos to the new one. It's a different car and Porsche has changed their approach to its performance.

re: GTS you said that it "takes some of the numbness out" vis a vis throttle response. We don't know how the new GTS drives and how it will compare to the TTS. Personally, I've not been enthralled with the 992 Carrera/S throttle response.

Re: Cross shopping - you can cross shop a GT3T with a Jeep if you want to, the point is that from a model hierarchy and objective performance standpoint, the TTS is probably more logical comparator.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 09:42 AM
phaser
Banned

I'm confused as to why some guys are so adamant about who shops this model, compares that model, etc. Understand that everyone who is considering a 992 is not an expert on this stuff. Why not look at them all and then pursue the one that best suits your preferences. If you live in this area and you want to go out this morning and buy any 992 from dealer stock you can't as there are none, obviously this will change.

Quick Reply: GTS vs. GT3 Touring