Sponsored by:

Nick Murray on the new 992 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 04:40 PM
fractionofawhole
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
you missed black badging and the GT steering wheel...
They've been discussed in posts since my original cost tally but I probably should have edited the original list, which I've now done. The cost difference now between the optioned S and GTS is just shy of $3k.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:01 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Did the 992 GTS you drove have bad turbo lag?

😉
Ha
one of the things I love about forum debates is that you get accused of saying stuff you never said. People are so quick to defend their stance, SOMETIMES they read stuff that was never written.

I believe I said “extra turbo lag” and if Porsche does gain the HP with larger turbos, it will have additional lag. Now if that is your definition of “bad”, you should skip the GTS.

Last edited by doug_999; 06-28-2021 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:08 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5

My read is that Nick is unhappy that his S has been topped by a GTS and is justifying not having to go through the hassle and expense of swapping.
It''s funny, if you have a different car and you debate others regarding what they feel is a superior car, the belief is that you are un-happy with your car - cause why would they not see the world your way?

Hint - Nick Murry does not have a 992 S nor a 991.2S. What is laughable is how many people dismiss him here on this thread cause they disagree with him. Then again, most of us don't have 193,000 people subscribing to our channel.

Last edited by doug_999; 06-28-2021 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:13 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Ha
one of the things I love about forum debates is that you get accused of saying stuff you never said. People are so quick to defend their stance, SOMETIMES they read stuff that was never written.

I believe I said “extra turbo lag” and if Porsche does gain the HP with larger turbos, itwill have additional lag. Now if that is your definition of “bad”, you should skip the GTS.
Yeah I’m being a smart ***. Guilty as charged.

I have no dog in this hunt. I’m trading my C2S in, so it’s not like I really care. I will say that Porsche has never made a bad GTS.

In the end, the driving will be proof, but I’m putting my money on the GTS being the better driving car, all around, and equally as competent a daily driver.

And no - even if I was keeping my C2S, I really wouldn’t lose sleep over the GTS. There is no way I’d trade a C2S into a GTS. Though I’m sure the GTS is better, I doubt it will be THAT much better.
The following users liked this post:
doug_999 (07-01-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 05:30 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,233 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
It''s funny, if you have a different car and you debate others regarding what they feel is a superior car, the belief is that you are un-happy with your car - cause why would they not see the world your way?

Hint - Nick Murry does not have a 992 S nor a 991.2S. What is laughable is how many people dismiss him here on this thread cause they disagree with him. Then again, most of us don't have 193,000 people subscribing to our channel.
Coming in as Knight in shining armor

193k subscribers is why Porsche bent the knee, both knees! What gypsie move!

Do you think Nick's gorilla gets invite to Porsche events?
Old 06-28-2021, 05:30 PM
Trackmunkey
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 45 Posts

Well considering you cant remove the backseat or add buckets to the S i would say the GTS is a decent proposition.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:02 PM
apache2
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NCheok
LA royalty, thanks to his father's deep connections.
Very interesting, what are his father's deep connections?
Old 06-28-2021, 06:06 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 708 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
exactly. there is no perceptible difference. one thing i will say - ever since we got the tesla in the family, any ice vehicle with a conventional tranny is laggy as hell. when i depress the accelerator in my 911, unless i'm already at the optimal rpm (thus gear), it takes an eternity to get going compared to the *instant* squirt of the tesla.

a lot of hate in this forum for electrics, particularly tesla - mostly from ppl that have developed their opinion from headlines and ignorance.
I have driven the Tesla Model S hard and have nothing against it. I really don't think its comparable to a 911. They aren't mutually exclusive and as you know they can co-exist. That being said, the Tesla is no sports car. It's heavy, big and it has inertia - attributes the 911 is famous for having less of. Personally, I look forward to one day owning an electric car, but not this generation, and only if my other car remains an ICE sports car.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:13 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
I have driven the Tesla Model S hard and have nothing against it. I really don't think its comparable to a 911. They aren't mutually exclusive and as you know they can co-exist. That being said, the Tesla is no sports car. It's heavy, big and it has inertia - attributes the 911 is famous for having less of. Personally, I look forward to one day owning an electric car, but not this generation, and only if my other car remains an ICE sports car.
i have no intention of replacing my 911 with a tesla for a while; the roadster is interesting, but i like rowing gears and making noise.

my point was simply that these "turbo lag" complaints are a whole lot of nothing, especially when comparing the inherent lag in the ice drivetrain to evs. there is zero chance you would detect additional lag from a 4mm bigger turbo compressor and 3mm bigger turbine (991.2 differences).

EDIT: for reference, the 991.2 S has a 51mm/45mm compressor and turbine respectively, GTS is 55mm/48mm.

Last edited by dhirm5; 06-28-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:13 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by apache2
Very interesting, what are his father's deep connections?
Matt Farah's father is a former Ex Vice Chairman of Ralph Lauren Corp and current Co-CEO of Tory Burch so Matt basically grew up in wealth.
The following users liked this post:
rewardforsuccess (06-30-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 10:36 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 822 Posts

I’ve never been a Nick Murray fan. He thoroughly irritates me, to be honest.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:37 PM
DrewTJ50
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 54 Posts

A few thoughts…

I don’t know why people get so worked up about guys like Nick Murray. He’s a Youtuber/talking head who does it for a hobby. Don’t like him? Don’t watch. Same with Farah. I’m sure they care as little about RL posters as Andy Preuninger does per his latest Instagram post. Find more to keep you busy so you care less about Youtube car “journalists”.

GTS looks cool but jury is still out until the car can be driven. Is the whole greater than the sum of the parts? We shall see.

Assessing any car in the context of one’s use case is more relevant than assessing a car in a vacuum. My Model S is more enjoyable in some more urban environments where the car can’t be wrung out, but has zero top end oomph. The GTS is probably similar to the C2S in the low end (maybe even worse depending on turbo size and perceptibility of incremental lag) but I’m sure would shine on a track. If you live far from an urban area, maybe you can take advantage of that. But at that point, just spring for the auditory magic of the NA GT3 if you live somewhere where it’s possible to keep it in the high revs. For me personally, I would expect very little benefit from the GTS over my MT C2S given how close I live to a major city. YMMV.
The following 2 users liked this post by DrewTJ50:
doug_999 (07-01-2021), michael818 (06-30-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 05:35 PM
apache2
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
It's his radar detector and other electrical gizmos he has in the car like it's a highway patrol cruiser. I ran into a hardwire issue which I never documented here but replicated his problems. This came from a radar detector. All sorts of electrical gremlins surfaced after doing the job. Once it was removed and all things fixed, voila! No more problems.

Porsche simply buckled due to his youtube/social media presence where he documents everything with a smile on his face. All the while keeping a good ol jolly Nick attitude... There are many just like his type out there, greasy and cunning.

Very interesting that removing the radar detector fixed your electrical gremlins! Any theories as to why?

Was it simply a matter of electrical interference (cross talk), where the electrical signals in the wiring of the radar detector interfered with the original Porsche wiring? Or did the uninstaller actually find some damage caused by the person who installed the radar (eg, nicked or bent wires in the original 911 wiring harness) and fix it as part of the uninstall process?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:40 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Nick's point in the video seems pretty simple; that the 992 GTS is an opportunity lost compared with the 718 GTS, Macan GTS etc. That's all.
Originally Posted by smiles11
+1

Current owners should be relieved. If Porsche had continued the new trend, a lot of us would be trading in our cars right about now 😅

It was a far fetched proposition anyhow. Porsche wasn’t going to make the GTS slower by making it NA. In the end - they won’t have any trouble selling them while they still try & keep up with demand for base/S models.
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
But the car Nick is describing would essentially be the 992 GT3 Touring, which, you know, already exists.
^^^ Agree with the above

Porsche packaged pretty much the GTS I think most of us were expecting (i.e. roughly similar to the way it packaged the 991.2) - plus a couple unexpected upgrades. It would have been seriously disruptive to load it with an NA engine or the 3.7 from the TT. Wow, this thread sure would be different, though.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:00 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

I feel like this GTS is quite a package tbh. The 991.1 GTS had +30 hp and no gain in torque, same suspension as an S too. I don't think it had turbo brakes, either.

Now you've got a new GTS with +30 ft-lb over an S, bespoke suspension with helper springs in back, and Turbo sized brakes?? Sounds pretty awesome to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by chance6:
dhirm5 (07-03-2021), fractionofawhole (06-29-2021)

Quick Reply: Nick Murray on the new 992 GTS