Sponsored by:

Nick Murray on the new 992 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 12:15 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,409 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Nick's point in the video seems pretty simple; that the 992 GTS is an opportunity lost compared with the 718 GTS, Macan GTS etc. That's all.
+1

Current owners should be relieved. If Porsche had continued the new trend, a lot of us would be trading in our cars right about now 😅

It was a far fetched proposition anyhow. Porsche wasn’t going to make the GTS slower by making it NA. In the end - they won’t have any trouble selling them while they still try & keep up with demand for base/S models.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:26 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
+1

Current owners should be relieved. If Porsche had continued the new trend, a lot of us would be trading in our cars right about now 😅

It was a far fetched proposition anyhow. Porsche wasn’t going to make the GTS slower by making it NA. In the end - they won’t have any trouble selling them while they still try & keep up with demand for base/S models.
Honestly, it was pretty far fetched that Porsche would do anything of the sort. They are very conservative with the 911 and there was no way they’d play games with these cars. “De-tuned” 3.8 motors or 4.0 NA was never going to happen. The GTS is exactly what I expected it to be and, I suspect, it will be a great driving car. Porsche has a pretty good track record in making these GTS models worth owning.
The following 3 users liked this post by rk-d:
fractionofawhole (06-28-2021), gman77 (06-28-2021), slwong23 (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 01:12 AM
boutrosa
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lander911
Exactly this. The difference between a GTS and an S equipped as I wanted it was less than $3k, which makes the GTS a "no-brainer" indeed. But that's because I like what comes standard on the GTS. If you don't, then the GTS isn't for you.

I can also see why people that already have an S aren't that excited--it probably isn't worth the trouble of upgrading. But for those of us that don't yet have a 992, it can be a great deal.

Ok, Here is the thing, The GTS retains its value over the years better than a s or 4s. Now with that said, right now, you can get almost msrp for a 911 because there are not any available.
Now, is race text roof standard on a gts and lets not forget that the GTS is about the exhaust note as well. My Panamera GTS sounds better than a panamera turbo with SE.

Now NickM sometimes does not know his head from his a**. He stated that the ionizer not completely unnecessary option. In my opinion its a must to keep the interior of the car oder free. It works like a charm and is a must have. I wish I had it in all my cars, air is always clean. You can tell the difference from when its activated or not.

Last edited by boutrosa; 06-28-2021 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:16 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by fractionofawhole

GTS base includes these S options:
  • Sport package - $5,460
    • PASM, Sport Chrono, Sport Exhaust
  • Sport Design package - $4,890
  • RS wheels - $2,540 *
  • PDLS+ headlights - $1,270
  • Exclusive taillights - $990
  • 4-way Sport Seats Plus - $440
Total cost of options: $15,590 **

GTS-esk optioned S: $132,690
Base GTS: still $136,700
Updated difference: $4,010

The difference is a paltry $4k before factoring in the cost of any Race-Tex that's included on the GTS or the performance upgrades.
How about the black badges for another $570?

This thread is interesting… agree with @rk-d that the 992 GTS is pretty much what most expected and it didn’t deviate much from what Porsche did with the 991.2 GTS, yet some are “fan boys” while others defend/justify why they have no reason to jump from their S. Why do some feel like they need to sh*t another’s joy?

Back to Nick Murray, this one was the first video I’ve watched in full and content aside, I find him rather annoying. Don’t need to watch another one of his videos.
The following users liked this post:
fractionofawhole (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 02:15 AM
fractionofawhole
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
How about the black badges for another $570?

This thread is interesting… agree with @rk-d that the 992 GTS is pretty much what most expected and it didn’t deviate much from what Porsche did with the 991.2 GTS, yet some are “fan boys” while others defend/justify why they have no reason to jump from their S. Why do some feel like they need to sh*t another’s joy?

Back to Nick Murray, this one was the first video I’ve watched in full and content aside, I find him rather annoying. Don’t need to watch another one of his videos.
Ah damn, I completely forgot about the black badges and that they charge for those (of course they do). Combine that with the Race-Tex wheel which I'm 99% certain is included and that's another $1,000 off the difference and brings it to just $3k.

Completely agree that the GTS is exactly as expected. The test mule videos have been around for approaching 2 years. I really don't understand anyone being surprised or disappointed at this point unless you just haven't been paying attention. Porsche has been showing you what they'll be selling as the GTS for the last near 2 years.
slwong23 (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 02:40 AM
apache2
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
Okay Mr. Nick "hypocrite" Murray, now you've completely lost me.

BTW, his 991 with "electrical issues" was entirely his fault and not a lemon. I know the secret, proof is in the pudding. I discovered it on my own with my own car by accident.
Very interesting!
What did Nick do that caused his electrical issues? And did he do this with both his 911's (he had 2 lemon buybacks of 911's, I thought).
Old 06-28-2021, 02:48 AM
apache2
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, Nick makes about $3k/month from YouTube, per his Dec 2018 video:

$3k is not a "huge" amount, but it certainly a mortgage payment (in most parts of the USA). So that's a very pleasant amount of money to have. I'm actually surprised he makes that much, given his YT subscriber and view count.

Also, Nick claims that other than paying for YouTube related expenses (cameras, insurance when driving expensive loaner cars), he gives the rest to animal charities.
M3Inline6 (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 02:55 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Originally Posted by apache2
FYI, Nick makes about $3k/month from YouTube, per his Dec 2018 video
IMHO that's chump change in the scheme of things. Nice hobby if you ask me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
fractionofawhole (06-28-2021), Russian Mafia (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 03:22 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,053 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Nick's point in the video seems pretty simple; that the 992 GTS is an opportunity lost compared with the 718 GTS, Macan GTS etc. That's all.
But the car Nick is describing would essentially be the 992 GT3 Touring, which, you know, already exists.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:58 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
But the car Nick is describing would essentially be the 992 GT3 Touring, which, you know, already exists.
That thought crossed my mind too, as in if the car Nick laments was in fact the new GTS then where does that leave the GT3 Touring? It'd be a crowded range for sure but then doesn't the 718 GTS also loose out on the GT4's suspension, brakes etc. whereas the GT3 Touring retains all those bits?

Either way, it ain't happening. Some are happy, a few aren't. Life.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:53 PM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyuofa
Opinions are like ********, everyone has one. If you don’t agree with his video, then don’t watch it. I find his videos to be entertaining. You want to talk about annoying, go watch the Shmee channel.
HAY..... IT'S ME.... SCHHHHHMEEEEEEE

hahaha - That guy is terrible.
chance6 (06-29-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 03:14 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,233 Likes on 709 Posts

I find myself reading a lot of the posts here and nodding my head in agreement.

Although I bashed Nick, I do admit I once used to enjoy his videos. That LED vs Xenon headlight review on the 991 is why I tuned it, along with some other things. He sucks at racing though. Anytime there was a Nick Murray upload either I or my brother would shoot the link and say "Nick just uploaded a video, check it out"... Now he's never in my recommendations and I haven't watched in years. Don't like the content at all anymore. He definitely one, or maybe even two upped on Porsche though.. What did GWB say? "Fool me once, shame on you... Fool my twice, shame on... ehh wait?"

On the GTS topic, I can sort of agree about the 992 GTS... However I strongly disagreed about his take on the 991 GTS because the 991 DID have legitimate ace up it's sleeve. The widebody in a 2WD model. That was THE number 1 selling point for me. Also, not so much black plastic everywhere like on the 992. I'm sure the performance upgrades on the 992 GTS are still worth it. Especially for one who craves those extras. Still, if I had to choose I'd go for GTS every day.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:14 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Did the 992 GTS you drove have bad turbo lag?
exactly. there is no perceptible difference. one thing i will say - ever since we got the tesla in the family, any ice vehicle with a conventional tranny is laggy as hell. when i depress the accelerator in my 911, unless i'm already at the optimal rpm (thus gear), it takes an eternity to get going compared to the *instant* squirt of the tesla.

a lot of hate in this forum for electrics, particularly tesla - mostly from ppl that have developed their opinion from headlines and ignorance.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:29 PM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 134 Posts

The GTS has a black bottom on the SD front bumper as well as the painted rear bumper corners, both I think better than the standard 911 sport design option... also way easier to keep clean without chips than a painted option. The no cost option to get the satin black RS Wheels with no center lock brakes is awesome too for those who don't want the stress of center locks. You can even add the Matte Carbon Fiber interior trim for $840, without the GTS interior 8k package which I wouldn't bother with. That will keep you under 150k for a GTS with nice options.

For me it comes down to 3 things if you are cost focused on the S VS GTS:
  1. If you prefer the RaceTEX for Seats and Steering Wheel and the blackout out headlights and clear tails and the satin black Emblems...
  2. If you want more highway power for your butt dyno and better high speed braking support with the turbo model brakes and will be tracking the car and want the specialized suspension springs...
  3. You want a higher resale value, maybe.
For me, both my builds are $148-149.

S: Premium Paint Option, Full Contrast Stitch Leather, PCCB...
GTS: Standard Paint, Standard Interior, Steel Brakes

I'm leaning toward the S with the premium specs, I think lol
SBAD (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 03:51 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,297 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by fractionofawhole
It's going to be a personal opinion decision for everyone seeing as the GTS is 95% visual differences and if I'm being generous 5% functional, but if you like all the included visual changes then it's pretty much a no-brainer. Again, if you like the visual changes, it's a good value, as is often the case with GTS models across the brand. Anyone that says it's a poor value is either irrationally hating, terrible at basic math, or dislikes the visual changes and therefore would spend more trying to un-GTS the look while wanting the performance gains...which would be much cheaper to do via aftermarket.

Base S: $117,100
Base GTS: $136,700
Base difference: $19,600

GTS base includes these S options:
  • Sport package - $5,460
    • PASM, Sport Chrono, Sport Exhaust
  • Sport Design package - $4,890
  • RS wheels - $2,540 *
  • PDLS+ headlights - $1,270
  • Exclusive taillights - $990
  • 4-way Sport Seats Plus - $440
Total cost of options: $15,590 **

GTS-esk optioned S: $132,690
Base GTS: still $136,700
Updated difference: $4,010

* Since the Turbo S wheels aren't even an option for the S I used the cost of the RS wheels which are a free swap for the GTS.
** I didn't bother to try and spec out all the Race-Tex that's usually standard as it's not exactly clear what is included with the base GTS. I fairly positive the Race-Tex wheel is included ($520 option) based on Porsche's GTS website, but wasn't 100% certain so left it off the list.

The difference is a paltry $4k before factoring in the cost of any Race-Tex that's included on the GTS or the performance upgrades. If I remember correctly Porsche charged $12k for the 991.2 Powerkit on the S, which got it's power level up to the GTS level. So assume similar cost if they were to offer anything similar for the 992 S. Brakes and suspension upgrades would be at least a few more grand on top of that. So to answer your original question of "what are you getting for that premium?"; a lot...assuming you're a fan of the visual packaging. For me personally; I'm a huge fan of all the visual changes in the GTS, so it's the significantly better value to me and the performance improvements are simply icing on the cake.
you missed black badging and the GT steering wheel...

Quick Reply: Nick Murray on the new 992 GTS