Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nick Murray on the new 992 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021 | 07:26 PM
fractionofawhole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
My question to those who have a problem with NIck: How do you feel about the mainstream media?
I'm more interested in where you're going with this line of questioning. Who do you consider the mainstream media? Are you talking about mainstream automotive media, news, etc? Do you actually think a hobbyist YouTuber with a small following is remotely comparable to said mainstream media? I feel like you're about to spring a conspiracy trap here. LOL.
Old 06-30-2021 | 07:36 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
. . . . one of Murray’s major complaints on the 992 was the “gap” in material in the center consul area. He even went so far as to only recommend getting leather in that location as it would help to fill up the “poor quality workmanship”, and thus, reduce the gap.
I checked the box (7TM) for the "Interior Trim inlays in Leather". I did so, to avoid the carbon fiber "look," which I consider to be a "flavor of the week" thing. While I would agree that the leather is so thin that any noticeable affect it has on "The Gap" is minimal, I will admit that it does have a positive visual impact, even if only a slight one. Maybe it's that it visually rounds the edges . . . who knows.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 06-30-2021 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2021 | 08:06 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I checked the box (7TM) for the "Interior Trim inlays in Leather". I did so, to avoid the carbon fiber "look," which I consider to be a "flavor of the week" thing. While I would agree that the leather is so thin that any noticeable affect it has on "The Gap" is minimal, I will admit that it does have a positive visual impact, even if only a slight one. Maybe it's that it visually rounds the edges . . . who knows.
My point was - I didn’t take Murray’s recommendation, and mine is just fine...no gap....just like my SA said it would.
Old 06-30-2021 | 08:07 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by fractionofawhole
I'm more interested in where you're going with this line of questioning. Who do you consider the mainstream media? Are you talking about mainstream automotive media, news, etc? Do you actually think a hobbyist YouTuber with a small following is remotely comparable to said mainstream media? I feel like you're about to spring a conspiracy trap here. LOL.
^^ this
Old 07-01-2021 | 12:54 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fractionofawhole
I was addressing standards as to the publicizing of facts and opinion as well as credibility. IMO NIck's are higher and he has at least as much credibility, not that that's any kind of high bar. Put another way, the mainstream media, however you might reasonably define it/them, has less credibility than your average Youtuber.
Old 07-01-2021 | 01:25 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

I was addressing standards as to the publicizing of facts and opinion as well as credibility. IMO NIck's are higher and he has at least as much credibility, not that that's any kind of high bar. Put another way, the mainstream media, however you might reasonably define it/them, has less credibility than your average Youtuber.
To be clear, when you mention the “mainstream media”.....are you referring to their automotive “facts and opinions”?
Old 07-01-2021 | 01:37 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Yes. It’s entertainment for sure. That said, he doesn’t come with facts (most of the time), so he has to have some sort of shtick for people to follow him on TouTube.
He actually was the single most helpful person for me (and many others) in our 992 order. His videos going over each and every option - including the deviated seat center (and I bet, MOST people don't know about that option), was incredibly helpful. You might want to watch his part 2 video of all the 992 options where he states "I want to re-iterate, this is an opinion video, based on my experiences...
(watch :38 to 1:24)
The worst part is he says "I don't know why I do these videos, cause the amount of hate mail I get ...." - and my opinion is that these videos have helped more people than they have upset.

As for the "gap" that you speak of, I'm pretty sure that was the case with the cars at his dealer during that time. Maybe Porsche fixed it? Maybe that was during a batch batch of cars?

and...
I did write to Nick after I got my car, thanking him for his videos and telling him I got the puddle lights - his response.
"..I am shocked and horrified that you got the puddle lights but I am confident that just like everyone else I know that got them in time you will see the error of your ways and put electrical tape over them to hide your shame!!
Thank you for the support of my channel, all the best with your new car"

Love that guy...

​​​​​​​

The following 4 users liked this post by doug_999:
911Stiller (07-02-2021), apache2 (07-01-2021), PT6 (07-01-2021), Rare9 (07-02-2021)
Old 07-01-2021 | 02:10 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by doug_999
He actually was the single most helpful person for me (and many others) in our 992 order. His videos going over each and every option - including the deviated seat center (and I bet, MOST people don't know about that option), was incredibly helpful. You might want to watch his part 2 video of all the 992 options where he states "I want to re-iterate, this is an opinion video, based on my experiences...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKUUu1BmAEA
(watch :38 to 1:24)
The worst part is he says "I don't know why I do these videos, cause the amount of hate mail I get ...." - and my opinion is that these videos have helped more people than they have upset.

As for the "gap" that you speak of, I'm pretty sure that was the case with the cars at his dealer during that time. Maybe Porsche fixed it? Maybe that was during a batch batch of cars?

and...
I did write to Nick after I got my car, thanking him for his videos and telling him I got the puddle lights - his response.
"..I am shocked and horrified that you got the puddle lights but I am confident that just like everyone else I know that got them in time you will see the error of your ways and put electrical tape over them to hide your shame!!
Thank you for the support of my channel, all the best with your new car"

Love that guy...
Cool. You have your opinion and I have mine. It doesn’t change a damn thing about how i feel about a guy who feels compelled to review a car he’s never driven, let alone seen in person. As far as his YouTube videos regarding options...as i said before.... I found some of his opinions to be helpful, while other’s, not so much, and sometimes, flat out wrong based on my own experience. I was fortunate enough, that my dealership often got 992’s in that I could look at, the options I was unsure about. But that’s OK. For me, anyway, i don’t need someone else’s opinions about highly personal things, such as color or stitching, inlay trim, etc. My wife provides all those type of opinions for me. I look to reviews to tell me something that I don’t know, of a technical or performance nature. Everything else, to me, is fluff. Noise.

PS - The two options that I debated the longest over were (didn’t even bother with Murray’s opinion) were: (1) Rear Axle Steering and (2) Front Axle Lift. In both cases, my dealership had 992’s with these options that I could try.
Old 07-01-2021 | 02:42 PM
fractionofawhole
Rennlist Member

Put another way, the mainstream media, however you might reasonably define it/them, has less credibility than your average Youtuber.
First I was like...

...but then I was like...

because you've just provided one of the great examples of why society is ****ed. I can't even.
The following users liked this post:
slwong23 (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021 | 02:49 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

My cars current build would be $156k & a similar spec GTS is coming out to $162k. I probably would have to pay MSRP at best on both. So I have to admit, if I were in the market for an S/GTS. I would definitely go GTS given my current build.

However, I received $9k off my current MY20 992S with a $152k . Which is a net delta of about $13k for an S given the base price hike for a MY22 and a net delta of about $20k for a GTS. So would make no sense in my case to move up.

So when it comes to deciding between the S/GTS. It really comes down to what your build looks like. If they’re within $5k or so, GTS all the way.

That said. I definitely wouldn’t get the lightweight package with buckets. At $162k, I’d already be into GT3 territory. So to spec LWBs, might as well buy a 991.2 GT3 or wait it out for a 992 GT3.

No matter which way you slice it… it’s a slippery slope whichever way you look at it. 🤣

Last edited by smiles11; 07-01-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2021 | 03:13 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by smiles11
My cars current build would be $156k & a similar spec GTS is coming out to $162k. I probably would have to pay MSRP at best on both. So I have to admit, if I were in the market for an S/GTS. I would definitely go GTS given my current build.

However, I received $9k off my current MY20 992S with a $152k . Which is a net delta of about $13k for an S given the base price hike for a MY22 and a net delta of about $20k for a GTS. So would make no sense in my case to move up.

So when it comes to deciding between the S/GTS. It really comes down to what your build looks like. If they’re within $5k or so, GTS all the way.

That said. I definitely wouldn’t get the lightweight package with buckets. At $162k, I’d already be into GT3 territory. So to spec LWBs, might as well buy a 991.2 GT3 or wait it out for a 992 GT3.

No matter which way you slice it… it’s a slippery slope whichever way you look at it. 🤣

I agree with much of what you said, with the exception of the bucket seats, which for 90% of my driving time, is unwarranted. The HP bump really doesn’t interest me, as I already find the 992 S output is more than I can handle. If I was going to ‘upgrade”, I would pony up the $$ and would definitely opt for the GT3. But, would have to convince myself, first, with a test drive, or through reviews from different people that have driven on the track.
Old 07-01-2021 | 03:18 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The option of the lightweight pkg would make the GTS a no-brainer for me.

The sports seats (4 or 18) simply kill my back. The LWB feel perfect. And they're also sexy as ****.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 07-01-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2021 | 03:49 PM
gearbo
Track Day

well said, direct and to the point.
Old 07-01-2021 | 03:56 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

For the record, the lightweight package saves a max of 55 lbs. If weight is your thing, then don’t get a glass sunroof (about 50-60lbs more than standard sunroof) or the PDK (adds 77 lbs more than manual). Or for that matter, AWD. Just sayin’

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 07-01-2021 at 03:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021 | 04:01 PM
Naugus
AutoX

Default NM on the new 992 GTS

Why are the Youtube authorities more often than not Brits? Anyway, I didn't find him all that offensive in the one other video of his that I viewed. ( on options). Seemed to have a limited amount of trolling content.
Regardless, I didn't take his advice and just switched from a manual S to a GTS.
We'll see...

Quick Reply: Nick Murray on the new 992 GTS