Nick Murray on the new 992 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 03:34 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
I can’t stand Matt Farah. He’s overrated and underhated.
LA royalty, thanks to his father's deep connections.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:16 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Yea, that's probably true. He actually has a few negative comments and opinions about some of the options and packages. If only he'd agree with everything Porsche said and did, like almost all of the other Kool-aide drinking YouTube prognosticators do, Stuttgart's world would probably rotate so much more smoothly on its axis. Then he'd probably get factory press cars to drive, instead of having to actually wait for real production versions.
I don’t know. It seems he is still infatuated with Porsche since he has a newer Macan and a 993. Some of his information has been helpful to me especially explaining some options so I can decide for myself if they are worth regardless of what Nick thinks. He hasn’t been posting as much and this last video seemed more like he hastily prepared this video. Regardless of our opinions, here we are talking about it, so I think it’s working lol.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:19 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by NCheok
LA royalty, thanks to his father's deep connections.
I watch his videos, I just fast forward now through his 10 minutes of ads before he actually says anything. I already hate that you have to wade through Google generated ads, but now you then getting force fed creator sponsor ads or stuff they get kickbacks on.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:03 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts

So, getting away from the cult of personality, what do you think of the GTS? I kind of agree with Nick on his take here - what are you getting for that premium? the additional 30hp is fairly insignificant and I agree on the CL wheels, I would opt out of them. Besides badging what does it give you that the S doesn't or that can't be had in the S for less? If you want the 14 or 18 way seats, you're bumped up another almost 6K, same with ventilated seats because you have to upgrade to leather. The sport design is, as he says, personal choice. So, what's the consensus? Is the package worth the premium?
Old 06-27-2021, 10:08 AM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by michael818
So, getting away from the cult of personality, what do you think of the GTS? I kind of agree with Nick on his take here - what are you getting for that premium? the additional 30hp is fairly insignificant and I agree on the CL wheels, I would opt out of them. Besides badging what does it give you that the S doesn't or that can't be had in the S for less? If you want the 14 or 18 way seats, you're bumped up another almost 6K, same with ventilated seats because you have to upgrade to leather. The sport design is, as he says, personal choice. So, what's the consensus? Is the package worth the premium?
No, not for me.
The following users liked this post:
michael818 (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 10:11 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

I had a Targa 4S build in V200 status (have since switched to a Turbo S) and my dealer said that I could have switched to the Targa GTS if it was announced before my build locked. My initial instinct was that I would have switched. After seeing the specs and upgrades I would have stuck with the Targa 4S.
michael818 (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 10:13 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

This is one of those things where the result is going to be more than the sum of its parts. Reduced noise insulation, tweaked suspension, different turbos and altered power delivery, short shifter on the manual along with subtle aesthetic touches will all combine to provide a unique driving experience.

Will it be night and day? Doubtful - it’s still a 992. But trying to list out differences without the benefit of real world experience doesn’t really work.
slwong23 (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 10:38 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

I had a 991.1 GTS with PDK, and pound for pound one of the best cars I've owned. A GTS is always better than the sum of its parts, IMO. The 991.1 you could rev out to about 7800 rpm, and it had mechanical tweaks, not software tweaks, to get the extra 30 hp via the Power kit. Same torque though, 325 ft-lb. Now you look at the new car and it's 420 lb-ft, wow....a huge jump. Like 29% !

Now you're going 30 hp and +30 lb-ft on this new 911 GTS from the S, which to me is a pretty big bump, that's like 8% more torque, with Turbo brakes and bespoke suspension? Helper springs at the rear, that's Turbo / GT3 territory...I think this car will be perfecto with the lightweight package, bringing curb weight down below 3400 lbs for the RWD model. I'd go RWD all the way on this car to capitalize on the steering. No double wishbone, but it might be the most fun on the road.

As for the video, I'm only a few minutes in, and I see numerous misjudgments and errors. He says the GTS models in various models aren't detuned?? WTF man. This isn't true. Nobody wants the 3.8 TT engine from the Turbo ?? You kidding me? Can't get that engine right? Not true.

Last edited by chance6; 06-27-2021 at 10:42 AM.
911Stiller (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 10:48 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I had a Targa 4S build in V200 status (have since switched to a Turbo S) and my dealer said that I could have switched to the Targa GTS if it was announced before my build locked. My initial instinct was that I would have switched. After seeing the specs and upgrades I would have stuck with the Targa 4S.
This is interesting, you were at V200 and switched models? What was the process you went thru to do that? Was it easy?
Old 06-27-2021, 12:11 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
This is interesting, you were at V200 and switched models? What was the process you went thru to do that? Was it easy?
It was easy because the dealer had a long list of people waiting for a Targa 4S. Someone just took my slot. The build wasn’t locked so they could still spec it the way they wanted.

I was on both the GTS list and the Turbo S list. It was just a lucky timing issue that gave me the opportunity to switch.
Old 06-27-2021, 12:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,772 Likes on 5,138 Posts

If you were spec'ing about a Carrerra S from scratch today, it would definitely make more sense to think seriously about a GTS trim.

Plus, this generation of GTS (i.e., 992) is special in that you get the option of the lightweight pkg, which includes the buckets. Something not offered on prior generation GTS.
Old 06-27-2021, 01:19 PM
CPS992
Racer

Received 363 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
If you were spec'ing about a Carrerra S from scratch today, it would definitely make more sense to think seriously about a GTS trim.

Plus, this generation of GTS (i.e., 992) is special in that you get the option of the lightweight pkg, which includes the buckets. Something not offered on prior generation GTS.
This. I ran the GTS through the configurator against my 4S build and I didn't get a twinge of regret that I expected. But if you can't get a GT3 these lightweight options coupled with a bit of extra power would make a cool build.
chance6 (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 02:39 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

A GTS would be worth it to me worth it if I was in the market for a 992 and the objective and subjective performance difference over the equivalent S is as real as it has been with past GTSs.

Given how often Murray gets facts wrong and that he has not been near a 992GTS, I can't take his "review" seriously.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,772 Likes on 5,138 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
A GTS would be worth it to me worth it if I was in the market for a 992 and the objective and subjective performance difference over the equivalent S is as real as it has been with past GTSs.

Given how often Murray gets facts wrong and that he has not been near a 992GTS, I can't take his "review" seriously.
To be fair to Nick (and I am by far not any kind of Nick Murray fan) but I really don’t think he was doing a “review” of the GTS in terms of how good or bad the car is to drive.

Rather I think he was just doing a cost/benefit analysis vis-a-vis a comparable C2S.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
apache2 (06-28-2021), SBAD (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 02:46 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,484 Posts

I think the most disappointing part of the GTS is that it’s not following the rest of Porsches range of cars. Nick illustrates that example nicely.
SBAD (06-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Nick Murray on the new 992 GTS