Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best sounding and loudest aftermarket exhaust for 992 carrerras

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 11:33 PM
ThWombatCredenza
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 22 Posts

There are good sounding cars and then there are loud cars. I am looking for the former and currently, even with PSE, I am not driving a very good sounding car. Volume is not the goal.

Old 05-31-2021, 11:45 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

^ In your first post you specifically wanted the loudest aftermarket exhaust

So I’m confused what you want. You want to change the sound of your car?

To me, I like how the flat six sounds, I just would like to open it up a tad more.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:42 AM
ThWombatCredenza
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes I can see why I caused confusion. In my opinion the best sounding is not usually the loudest but others disagree. I was trying to differentiate those and find what people thought was the best sounding setup. I DO want to know which is the loudest, but only because I’d avoid it.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:05 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
Few if any of the companies making these exhausts have really put forth the effort to make good videos.

Which is unfortunate, since sound is basically their product, and if it were me I would think that putting together a well made video (which would cost very little money) to demonstrate a product would be an obvious marketing step. But so far we are left waiting......and hanging onto our money
Hey Tupper,

We have a few videos showcasing our 200cel HJS Sport Cats. Truly the best option for increased power and sound.

The following 4 users liked this post by Fabspeed Motorsport:
lucycan (08-09-2021), Moosedoc (01-19-2023), tourenwagen (05-10-2022), Tupper (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 11:13 AM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Hey Tupper,

We have a few videos showcasing our 200cel HJS Sport Cats. Truly the best option for increased power and sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeMdBINJ7TY
This is a HUGE improvement over stock which is absolutely terrible and unacceptable for a high performance sports car.
The following users liked this post:
Fabspeed Motorsport (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 12:43 PM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 125 Posts

To add to this thread...

In the 992 Carreras, will a titanium exhaust sound significantly better than stainless? I know this was the common thought in the old days, but I'm really curious to see if the additional cost for titanium is really worth it on the turbocharged cars.
Yes, I know there are weight savings in there, but I want to stay on-topic and specifically talk about sound.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:57 PM
4 Rings
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 118 Posts

I put on a set of Soul sport cats yesterday, havent had a chance to take it out and film anything but here is a initial fire up sound and they will get even louder after they have a chance to break in others say.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Rings:
Moosedoc (01-19-2023), Soul Performance (05-10-2022)
Old 06-01-2021, 01:51 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
To add to this thread...

In the 992 Carreras, will a titanium exhaust sound significantly better than stainless? I know this was the common thought in the old days, but I'm really curious to see if the additional cost for titanium is really worth it on the turbocharged cars.
Yes, I know there are weight savings in there, but I want to stay on-topic and specifically talk about sound.

Thanks.
Hey Jnkirk,

No, Titanium will not make a truly noticeable difference. We strictly use T304l Stainless because, through our testing, titanium is much more prone to failure after comparative heat cycling.
jnkirk1974 (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 04:30 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by phaser
This is a HUGE improvement over stock which is absolutely terrible and unacceptable for a high performance sports car.
^ The OEM sport exhaust is definitely pretty decent. Especially as heard from the outside.

Does it sound like a V8 muscle car? No, but it's still pretty nice, especially with higher flow sport cats like the ones I have.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:33 PM
love_my_porsche
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Few if any of the companies making these exhausts have really put forth the effort to make good videos.

Which is unfortunate, since sound is basically their product, and if it were me I would think that putting together a well made video (which would cost very little money) to demonstrate a product would be an obvious marketing step. But so far we are left waiting......and hanging onto our money
MikeX25 did a great post with vids of most of the aftermarket suppliers: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1040...tion-list.html
​​​​​​​Imo Kline just blew everyone else away!
Old 08-08-2021, 10:04 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 832 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
I went with the Akropovic Exhaust and 200 Cat.
In addition to a better sound, it is much lighter than the standard exhaust because it is made of Titanium

Before and After
Yep added Akra to my 991.1 and it just made the car. Yes it cost but it one way it was worth it...some thing here is a cost. So when I got my992; I got an Akra even before the car arrived and despite my car having PSE. Drove it for about a month then added Akrapovic Ti slip ons and haven't looked back. Great exhaust IMHO!

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
PSE with sport cats does it for me.
Yes agree it is a decent upgrade from stock from Porsche!
Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Around where I live, the police have mobile sound traps set up to contain primarily the loud motorcycles that cruise to and from and on the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH / CA-1) on the weekends. But I'd imagine they get their fair share of folks that have "modified" their automotive exhaust systems as well. There are fixed signs and large generator powered digital signs also. As drcollie points out; there are dB limits on most major road tracks as well. I know that Laguna Seca and Sears Point (or whatever they're calling Sears Point this week) have maximum dB limits that vary by the hour of the day . . . . and they're not exactly what I'd call generous dB limits.
Another reason some prefer not to inhabit the state of CA! LOL. If you ask me...its a bit much in the way of overreach by a govt entity,
Originally Posted by ThWombatCredenza
There are good sounding cars and then there are loud cars. I am looking for the former and currently, even with PSE, I am not driving a very good sounding car. Volume is not the goal.
Yes won't name any names but previously have seen some guys just put super LOUD exhausts in their BWMs preferably and they are just horrid. There's a way to do it right and with some class and such that doesn't take awwu from the car and/or the driving experience.
Ray K. (04-30-2022)
Old 08-09-2021, 12:15 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,193 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Loudest.

Not to harsh on your thread but today I'm driving on a twisty 2-lane country road top-down in my 992 S Cab, enjoying the ride on this 35 mph road when some cat in a red GT4 is hard on it coming towards us, He was probably doing 80 mph when he went by under full revs and throttle and the crack from his exhaust hurt both my wife and mine's ears. It was as if someone put an airhorn near my head and triggered it. Six hours later I'm still ringing in my left ear from that cool cat making noise in his GT4. That guys was an asshat to run pipes that loud. And FYI, you can't run on any major track in the country these days with one of these max volume rigs.

Could have been a victim of catalytic converter thieves.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:27 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Another reason some prefer not to inhabit the state of CA! LOL. If you ask me...its a bit much in the way of overreach by a govt entity,
Saturdays and Sundays PCH can be a veritable race track, Lambo’s and Ferrari’s and plenty of other wannabes pretending to be hero’s but just being obnoxious. It’s no wonder the police get pressured to clamp down on noisy vehicles.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:12 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 135 Posts

To a lot of street drivers noise equals speed. So many of these aftermarket exhausts sounds like very loud flatulence. Sounds inside the cabin are very different than that heard by anyone outside the car. Porsche’s non-PSE exhaust is a wonderful piece of engineering which produces torque and horsepower at the right rpm’s for street driving.
After many years of racing, including PCA racing, I can say that big wings, big tires, big noise does not make you fast.
The following 4 users liked this post by ohniner:
aggie57 (08-09-2021), Andy2021 (05-10-2022), drcollie (08-09-2021), Wilder (07-27-2023)
Old 08-09-2021, 01:41 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 754 Posts

My current 992 C4S has the PSE, I am actually going the other way with my targa 4S build that is on its way in December, I went with the quad pipes and no PSE. I don't prefer quite (as I have a decent sounding 720s and my F12 Ferrari was magnificent from a sound perspective). I just don't think the 911 with the popping does much for me, so opted to go more the standard flat 6 old school route without the PSE.
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
augenste (03-27-2024), ohniner (08-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Best sounding and loudest aftermarket exhaust for 992 carrerras