Sponsored by:

Emergency Braking Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 10:56 AM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Emergency Braking Question

Going to try and describe my question as no SA or article clearly tells me the answer. Scenario - I'm driving (not with cruise control on) in heavy/light traffic (does not matter), I make the dumb a.. move and look down to get something from passenger seat and don't see the car in front of me slam on the brakes or stop gently (again, doesn't matter). I want the car to automatically stop, without hitting the car in front of me, without any input from me. Yes, I know, I would be a crappy driver, but I still want it. Real questions is, does the standard Carrera S do this with No additional options? Porsche Active Safe? or do I need ACC - Adaptive cruise? Also, no, in the example above, I'm not describing a situation where cruise control was on or activated. I Just want automatic emergency braking and need to know if ACC is required for that additional feature or is that standard? Hope this makes sense. TIA
Old 05-13-2021, 11:32 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

I always thought Porsche Active Safe came as part of ACC. Though looking in the configurator now, don't see that in the option description. Not sure if that was a change for MY22?

Without ACC I didn't think there is the radar hardware (visible on front bumper) which is required for emergency braking.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:35 AM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Agreed, everyone at the dealer I ask has a different assumption and answers with I think this or that. 2K for ACC, I want to know for sure if I need it or not.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:51 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStanman
I always thought Porsche Active Safe came as part of ACC. Though looking in the configurator now, don't see that in the option description. Not sure if that was a change for MY22?

Without ACC I didn't think there is the radar hardware (visible on front bumper) which is required for emergency braking.
I definitely need to know the answer to this. I never use cruise control and the only reason I added it was because I wanted Active Safe.

From the configurator:

"Radar- and video-based technology that monitors and automatically regulates the distance from the vehicle in front as required even down to a halt by means of the stop-and-go function (usable at 19+ mph). Additional functions: audible warning if too close; warning by active jolt of the brakes; strategic braking; visual and audible warning if objects are detected within collision range."

I'm assuming "strategic braking" is emergency braking, but I could be way off on this.

Last edited by Dr. G; 05-13-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:54 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Yeah I ordered ACC largely for this feature, but I remember the option description saying it included Active Safe on the configurator a year ago. Maybe I'm imagining that.

For those that don't have ACC, do you get the visual warning followed by audible warning when following too close? Might be able to figure it out that way.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:59 AM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 136 Posts

A sheet hung at the end of your driveway and a test run might be a fun experiment. Could be a false negative result but unlikely false positive.
The following users liked this post:
rouxeny (06-23-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 12:01 PM
bmclaurin
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 67 Posts

Interesting, like many others, I got ACC almost entirely for the PAS, so it would be frustrating to find out that somehow ACC is not necessary for PAS. But I have to say that, now that I've driven the car for a few days, the ACC is really nice to have. I'm surprised by how much I've enjoyed using it (and how well it works).
The following 2 users liked this post by bmclaurin:
detansinn (05-13-2021), Moosedoc (06-23-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 12:19 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

The ACC radar is also used to improve the PDK shifting logic. ACC-equipped PDK cars make different shifting decisions and more aggressive shifts in auto mode.

It’s also a solid adaptive cruise control with start/stop support. I use it when I am stuck in traffic or driving through work/construction zones.

It’s totally worth it.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
Go Bruins (05-13-2021), Moosedoc (06-23-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 01:06 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

I had a 2020 Audi E-Tron that had this feature and it was one of the most annoying and frightening computer controlled assists - DEFINITELY not ready for prime time. And while its great in concept, in execution it nearly caused accidents rather than preventing them. Since its all VW Group, I would assume the tech is similar and shared. And here's why I didn't like it, and felt that it was dangerous to the point I disabled it.

All works great in a straight line coming to a stop. Such as the scenario the OP presents in his hypothetical situation of being distracted then needs the car to stop. That's fine - it works. But here's what doesn't work.

Example 1: You are on a divided road and have a left lane road hog traveling well below the speed limit. You are closing on them about 15 mph faster than they are traveling and they are not moving over. As you continue and pull into the rightlane the collision warning sounds and the car slams on the brakes, meanwhile you are halfway into the other lane and hoping the car traveling behind you in that right lane can stop.

Example 2: You come into the Home Depot parking lot and turn into a parking spot in the lot. The radar spots the car adjacent to the spot that just came into its field of view you are going for and slams on the brakes violently.

Example 3 : You are crossing a multi-lane highway with traffic coming from your right at say 50 mph. Three lanes of it. As you start to move to go across at a slow pace a vehicle in the far of those three lanes comes into the radar sightline for just a second as it continues on and the car will slam on the brakes and dead stop in the first lane you are crossing. : When you do this type of crossing, there can be NO cars or vehicles coming into the field of view of the your car.

Lessons you learn. My wife would not ride in the E-Tron unless it was fully disabled. "Too scary" she said. When the brakes go on from the computer in a collision sensing event its full lock stop, not gradual. Most the time you won't be ready for it and it will shock you. Luckily it could be disabled on the menu. If you choose to use it, know you must realize that any time an object comes into the sight line of the radar, it will activate if its algorithm shows a danger. Turning into those shopping center parking spots may be the most annoying, you have to go at a slow crawl. Of course everything in the car goes flying when it happens and it feels like you've been hit by another vehicle. I'm sure the tech will improve in subsequent generations of it, but what I see now in its current form is more hazzard than help from VW Group.

Last edited by drcollie; 05-13-2021 at 02:03 PM.
Tompoodie (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 01:32 PM
TJ74
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a Lexus without any ACC like radar but it does have a system like Active Safe. As drcollie said, it is annoying. You cannot turn the Lexus system off, I believe Active Safe can be turned off for tracking? I have the Lexus set to low but still experience it start to kick in during a scenario 1 in drcollie’s post. I don’t know if it will bring the car to a complete stop but have had it start to apply brakes when I really didn’t want or need them.

I have had the rear cross traffic alert kick in and it did bring the car to a complete stop nearly giving me whiplash. Once due to heavy rain and another because someone was walking near the car in a parking lot with no threat of me hitting them. Luckily I discovered how to turn that off.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:56 PM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Guys, I appreciate the examples, BUT, I have currently on my F150 and C63 coupe and neither are intrusive. Sadly, both have saved my bumper several time each.
detansinn (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 02:03 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Castle
have saved my bumper several time each.
Then you need to work on your situational awareness, driving style, and gap. And put your phone down while driving.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexVan:
Noah Fect (05-13-2021), oneof5 (05-14-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 02:04 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

I have it in my 2020 Ranger as well, there is is much milder and less intrusive. The VW Group product is violent and over-reactive.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:21 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

I’ve not had it trigger the brakes, but I’ve had the warning, it definitely “preps” the brakes for a stop.

Interestingly I know of an owner (not any more) of a new land rover defender. 70mph, nothing around him, 3 kids and wife in the car…. It slammed on the brakes for no reason at all, twice!

He took the car to the local dealership on a Sunday, parked it nose almost touching the front doors, walked away with the keys.

Got a full refund and a new Merc G wagon instead.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:49 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

The Porsche "Active Safe" is covered rather extensively in the Owners Manual. For those who do not yet have an Owners Manual, I've attached the three pages that cover "Active Safe" here.
Attached Images
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
jfr0317 (05-13-2021), Russian Mafia (05-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Emergency Braking Question