Sponsored by:

Akrapovik With Soul cats

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 02:16 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Got mine in. As reported, loud cold start but it settles to a nice growl. Unfortunately I got a CEL just after testing the exhaust switch. The car remains there for investigation. I hope is just a poor contact with the valve, as the O2 sensors should not have been messed with.
Edit- O2 sensors trowing codes. Cleared and waiting to try again. Not particularly optimistic.

Last edited by John Mclane; 06-11-2021 at 03:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 04:12 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Got mine in. As reported, loud cold start but it settles to a nice growl. Unfortunately I got a CEL just after testing the exhaust switch. The car remains there for investigation. I hope is just a poor contact with the valve, as the O2 sensors should not have been messed with.
Edit- O2 sensors trowing codes. Cleared and waiting to try again. Not particularly optimistic.
That sucks. Mine is a 2020 built in March of 2020. I ran soul with PSE and soul with the akra with no CEL.

If yours is a 2021 and if your 02 sensor were not jacked up in the install process, you might need spacers on your 02. If you end up going that route and it DOESNT work. I can tell you that Akra with normal cats isnt as loud as soul cats with PSE (if that combo did work for you). So if you are tempted to remove the sport cats to run the Akra, you might not be as happy as you where with a working PSE and soul combo.

Old 06-11-2021, 04:25 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I was actually looking into that. It's either spacers or retune based on my short research, I think the latter. I figure this happened bc of the ECU tune the cars has. The Akrapovic website states that a high flow cat with the slip on needs a ECU remap or it will throw O2 codes. Good to know that, a bit too late.

Edit- apparently the heating element on the passenger side sensor is not coming up. Either disconnected or banged up. Will know more once the car cools down and he can check the connection and maybe swap the element.

Last edited by John Mclane; 06-11-2021 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:10 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

I was actually looking into that. It's either spacers or retune based on my short research, I think the latter. I figure this happened bc of the ECU tune the cars has. The Akrapovic website states that a high flow cat with the slip on needs a ECU remap or it will throw O2 codes. Good to know that, a bit too late.

Edit- apparently the heating element on the passenger side sensor is not coming up. Either disconnected or banged up. Will know more once the car cools down and he can check the connection and maybe swap the element.
Lets hope they just dinged your outbound O2 which you can replace and hopefully be good to go! Best of luck buddy!
Old 06-11-2021, 05:26 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

^ Damn, now this is making me think twice about whether I want to do this.

Plus, I just emailed Akrapovic and they told me that their exhaust does not come with black tips. I really don't want the steel colored tips, I wish they had an option for the black tips like they do for their exhaust for the Turbo models
Old 06-11-2021, 05:46 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ Damn, now this is making me think twice about whether I want to do this.

Plus, I just emailed Akrapovic and they told me that their exhaust does not come with black tips. I really don't want the steel colored tips, I wish they had an option for the black tips like they do for their exhaust for the Turbo models
To be fair we dont know what Johns issue is yet. And I believe you can keep your stock PSE tips on with the akrapovic if you want.

Old 06-11-2021, 07:29 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
To be fair we dont know what Johns issue is yet. And I believe you can keep your stock PSE tips on with the akrapovic if you want.
True in both accounts.
The sound is awesome. Even if I have to drive with a stupid CEL due to tuning (not banged sensor) I would keep it (at least so far).
Old 06-11-2021, 08:05 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ Do you think that the fact that you had a tune is the reason why you’re getting a CEL?
Old 06-11-2021, 09:38 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ Do you think that the fact that you had a tune is the reason why you’re getting a CEL?
Jury is out there. Considering that there's an issue on one sensor and it's not picking up temperature, it may have been caused by an accident. I'll know more tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:04 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Jury is out there. Considering that there's an issue on one sensor and it's not picking up temperature, it may have been caused by an accident. I'll know more tomorrow.
As a certified internet forum mechanic, I'd agree that it has to be accident related. Perhaps it was stuck on real good like your exhaust clamp was and maybe it just got damaged on the way out? Hopefully its something easy to fix so you can go on with your new cold start experience! LOL.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:02 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
As a certified internet forum mechanic, I'd agree that it has to be accident related. Perhaps it was stuck on real good like your exhaust clamp was and maybe it just got damaged on the way out? Hopefully its something easy to fix so you can go on with your new cold start experience! LOL.
I got a glimpse of the cold start. Shake and bake, Ricky Bobby
wannarun (06-13-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 11:22 PM
NigelPlays
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 96 Posts

Zero issues and had Porsche install everything.

Just go and do this combo. Hashtag ColdtStart
Tupper (06-13-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 06:08 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Got the car back, will replace the O2 sensor next week.

The cold start is a bit aberrant. Lots of shake and bake. Fades away, but it is a bit obnoxious.

I may get used to the hum as I drive, but there's no moment that the revs are up that you won't notice the difference. If you live in an area with sound restrictions, it's not the exhaust switch that will save you. You can barely note the difference in loudness but in pitch.

Raining a lot so I could not listen to it properly or open the throttle. It's loud, much different from the GT shriek. I see this noise bringing grins from time to time. Need more tunnels in America.
Tupper (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 10:37 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ Have your neighbors called to complain yet?
Old 06-13-2021, 10:43 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ Have your neighbors called to complain yet?
One cold start late in the afternoon. No calls yet, but it will happen.

Quick Reply: Akrapovik With Soul cats