Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C2s vs C4s handling when driving hard difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 01:15 AM
butrcrm
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Key takeaways from this thread:

1. Everyone is driving so hard in rain and
snow that AWD is critical - when in reality any sane person driving in rough conditions will adjust driving accordingly and you won’t miss the mildly better pull from the stoplight without AWD

2. AWD is a savior for exiting corners - again, if the weather and grip is that bad on a given day, I think you can forgo a little extra giddy up on the one roundabout on your suburban drive home.

The discussion and sentiment in these threads in no way aligns to any on road observations of fellow Porsche drivers in 99% of cases and is more reminiscent of the “182 pound bass” I’m sure we all caught this weekend.
The following 2 users liked this post by butrcrm:
Adr (05-04-2021), SBAD (04-24-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 01:28 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,830 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by butrcrm
of the “182 pound bass” I’m sure we all caught this weekend.
What did you call my wife?!?!
Old 04-24-2021, 07:56 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,615 Likes on 819 Posts

I for one never had a choice as I bought my C2S car from the dealer

Id like to justify/rationalize my C2S (the way....ahem....non-PSE buyers are doing ) by saying that I never needed or wanted C4S anyway, but I can’t say because I don’t know what I don’t know.

Driving my car, pretty much only in dry conditions when the weather allows for summer tire usage, I feel like it handles fantastically. And the speed is beyond excellent. In fact, on public roads it’s too fast and I will likely never end up testing its limits, so C4S seems like something that, had I spec’d my car, I probably would not order.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:56 AM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

Nobody has referenced that the steering on the C2 is better than the C4. It is lighter due to the absence of weight on the front axle, and reviewers have commented that it adds to the enjoyment of driving the car. I don't think the difference is huge, and those needing a C4 for driving in the snow shouldn't hesitate over this-- but for the vast majority of time behind the wheel, the C2 is likely to reward the driver more.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:28 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
Nobody has referenced that the steering on the C2 is better than the C4. It is lighter due to the absence of weight on the front axle, and reviewers have commented that it adds to the enjoyment of driving the car. I don't think the difference is huge, and those needing a C4 for driving in the snow shouldn't hesitate over this-- but for the vast majority of time behind the wheel, the C2 is likely to reward the driver more.
Henry Catchpole made a throwaway comment that people put way too much emphasis on.

To be clear, the weight of the AWD system is the difference between a full and partial tank of gas -- so, it's not a weight thing. If you have a RWD car with an extended range tank, it weighs darn well near as much as an AWD 911 when that tank is full.

The Power Steering Plus AWD press cars got praise for their steering feel. Should that make a difference? You wouldn't think so, but apparently, it did.

I've driven a RWD 992 and my AWD 992. The RWD car does not "reward the driver more". Having driven every modern 911 water cooled 911, the AWD 992 cars give up nothing and you can feel the improvements of the updated AWD system for this generation.
The following users liked this post:
siberian (04-24-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 12:40 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 708 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Henry Catchpole made a throwaway comment that people put way too much emphasis on.

To be clear, the weight of the AWD system is the difference between a full and partial tank of gas -- so, it's not a weight thing. If you have a RWD car with an extended range tank, it weighs darn well near as much as an AWD 911 when that tank is full.

The Power Steering Plus AWD press cars got praise for their steering feel. Should that make a difference? You wouldn't think so, but apparently, it did.

I've driven a RWD 992 and my AWD 992. The RWD car does not "reward the driver more". Having driven every modern 911 water cooled 911, the AWD 992 cars give up nothing and you can feel the improvements of the updated AWD system for this generation.
I commend your defense of AWD. But 125lb of extra weight can’t be rationalized away by saying the amount of fuel you happen to have in the tank is more important - great try though.

Also, in my readings most reviewers have noticed a slight difference in steering feel between the AWD and C2 - but I think it’s not that important unless you are a connoisseur of steering feedback. As we discussed before I think, it’s more about the additional cost versus benefit when choosing AWD.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:49 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,391 Posts

And whether the car will be driven year round in non tropical surroundings. The 125lbs., unless you're tracking your car and taking it to the limit often, it is an academic exercise like quoting that your CD player can reproduce frequencies past 20k Hz where your hearing can't possible discern it.

Unless you're tracking the car, unless you're driving or will drive you vehicle to the limit often, I don't believe the 125lb penalty is an issue compared to the extra margin it gives me up here to drive year round (couple with RAS and of course winter - not all weather, tires).

siberian
detansinn (04-24-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 02:42 PM
SBAD
Pro

Originally Posted by siberian
And whether the car will be driven year round in non tropical surroundings. The 125lbs., unless you're tracking your car and taking it to the limit often, it is an academic exercise like quoting that your CD player can reproduce frequencies past 20k Hz where your hearing can't possible discern it.

Unless you're tracking the car, unless you're driving or will drive you vehicle to the limit often, I don't believe the 125lb penalty is an issue compared to the extra margin it gives me up here to drive year round (couple with RAS and of course winter - not all weather, tires).

siberian
i suppose you could even argue that in the snow, the extra 125lbs over the front wheels might be beneficial. I love the CD analogy too. I always thought that much of the audiophile propaganda was baloney, even though I do enjoy a high quality speaker system - but in my home, not the car.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:54 PM
BillyX
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 69 Posts

Hmmm. According to the Porscheusa website, the curb weight for the PKD C4S is 105 lbs more than the C2S. But, the MT C4S is only 20 lbs more than the PKS C2S. Unless you use the gross weight. Then, the MT C4S is merely 11 lbs more than the PKS C2S.

So, in July when my MT C4S is delivered (if there are chips), we street race loaded with passengers and luggage, just to make it fair!
detansinn (04-24-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 03:57 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'll throw in one of my "undertall" siberian huskies

siberian
Old 04-24-2021, 04:12 PM
SBAD
Pro

Originally Posted by siberian
I'll throw in one of my "undertall" siberian huskies

siberian
haha - I don’t even know what that means! Must be some Alaska vernacular..
Old 04-24-2021, 05:42 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

They are NOT overweight, just "undertall is all.

siberian
SBAD (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 01:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,954 Likes on 5,212 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
No, it’s not.

This was true to some extent on the 991 generation but with the staggered setup on the 992 this steering feel difference between the 2WD and AWD is essentially nil.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
detansinn (04-25-2021), gcurnew (04-25-2021), JCH997 (04-26-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 04:38 PM
Hobbyist
4th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Over the last four decades, I have owned and driven many a C2 and C4. Even before it was called that, like a 1970 911 T and a 1972 911 S. Currently have a 964 and a 992, both C4s.

Since the topic was “driving hard”, I’d surmise: the C4 has always been easier to drive hard. But the electronics (mostly PSM over its several generations) have made it pretty safe for less-than-pro drivers to push the C2 as well. That said, the C2 will simply hang out the rear more quickly under power. So if you want to drive like Chris Harris in his Top Gear videos, get that one. If snowy driving is in your picture, or you like to eat up country roads during a November storm (with no bikers or cops left), the C4 has definite advantages.

The weight difference has always been compensated for by more traction, the fuel economy, 0-60 times and top speed are so similar it is moot.

On the track, the behavior is different but the lap times are not (except for pros, and only in the dry). For us hobbyists, tons of fun either way.

My 2 ¢, hope it helps.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:45 PM
Hobbyist
4th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, the steering is extremely similar (for the 992 generation) however, at the limit, the C4 tends to exhibit a tad more understeer as the front wheels are also transmitting drive forces, not just steering. This is so easily corrected though that it’s not a factor anymore (although noticeable). The flip side is that in less than perfect traction conditions, the extra pull at the front will make you quicker. On the track, on the road. Very fun too.
Jeremy Johnson (04-26-2021)

Quick Reply: C2s vs C4s handling when driving hard difference?