Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C2s vs C4s handling when driving hard difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021 | 09:08 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SBAD
Well, you did leave out that AWD adds $7K to the price of the car and adds an extra layer of complexity. Some buyers are price sensitive and then have to consider giving up other potential options (opportunity cost). Others just don’t see the value proposition worth it for their driving style.
Yes, I suspect that cost is the primary reason that folks don't spec it. As performance options go, it's the single most expensive checkbox behind PCCBs.
Old 04-18-2021 | 09:13 PM
SBAD
Pro

Originally Posted by Serge997
My $0.02.

I own a C4S. No canyon driving around here, but when it rains it pours ... and laps around a track once in a while.

At 46 and two kids at home I’m passed the acrobatics. Full respect for those who like the tail chasing the front, but I personally love the pull mid corner and the flexibility when braking too late or not braking enough. Also, how planted a car feels and is in mid to heavy rain.

Yes, yes, a C2S properly driven can do the same, but sometimes we are not at 100% and the 4 is a bit of insurance.

BTW, I also own a 450hp rear wheel drive car. Cheers.
not sure I understand - how is AWD linked to late braking or overshooting (under braking)? Technically speaking that is related to braking and rotational tire grip and the rotational grip is related to lateral acceleration that is occurring at the same time (cornering grip) - each diminished by the existence of the other. AWD works by delivering acceleration torque to the tires with the most grip, so not sure how that works in a braking situation?

Last edited by SBAD; 04-18-2021 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2021 | 09:17 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

i had a 2020 c4s and loved it, I've had a ton of RWD only 911s and love them too...if I ordered another 992, Id order a c2s just to save the money as I drive my Defender and RS6 in the snow. Drive wise, they aren't that dissimilar in this generation on the road TBH aside from a few nuances...
Old 04-18-2021 | 09:18 PM
Steel28
Track Day

It’s interesting this thread came up right after I’m making a change for my allocation from C4 to C2S.

I drove my M2 through downpours and Toronto winter and figured C2S will hit that sweet spot. I also secretly want to get SPASM and "possibly" RAS.

Old 04-18-2021 | 09:55 PM
Serge997
Instructor

Originally Posted by SBAD
not sure I understand - how is AWD linked to late braking or overshooting (under braking)? Technically speaking that is related to braking and rotational tire grip and the rotational grip is related to lateral acceleration that is occurring at the same time (cornering grip) - each diminished by the existence of the other. AWD works by delivering acceleration torque to the tires with the most grip, so not sure how that works in a braking situation?
AWD is not related, but if you brake a little
late or come in a bit hot the AWD will carry you around in a decisive way. This is something a RWD may not do ... and the “may not” is the reason I like the 4S.
Old 04-18-2021 | 10:40 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For where I live and given the car will be driven ALL year from 40 below in winter to 90 above in the summer (and everything in between: snow, sleet, rain) over paved and non paved roads, I would rather have and not need than need and not have. So for those considering driving year round and are in northern latitudes, the AWD was a no brainer for me.

As to cost, lose the aerokit and PPF (it's a CAR it will get dirty) for example that will replenish the billfold. But above all buy the car that best suits your driving and climactic conditions and of course All Season tires are a non starter.

siberian (who is flying down to Anchorage and hopes to FINALLY get his 992C4S Friday!)
The following 2 users liked this post by siberian:
detansinn (04-18-2021), drgav2005 (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021 | 12:09 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Look - I don't have my car yet (4S) and I was very close to getting the 2S. But it was February here in Chicago and I was done with the RWD in my M3 - I wanted an AWD car - I missed what I was able to do in the snow and the rain - so I went 4S. I've never regretted the decision and in early May, I'll tell you what it is like in the dry.....
Old 04-19-2021 | 01:50 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Living in a snow free environment (unless I choose to take a drive to the mountains) I prefer the 2WD because:
A.) 4WD doesn't do much for me given our weather and,
B.) With 2WD you can spec the much larger optional fuel tank; which I do like and appreciate.
Old 04-19-2021 | 03:21 AM
ExternalGPU
Advanced

Thanks for the insights.

I'm leaning towards the 4s now.

I heard that the GTS/4GTS is coming at the end of this summer.
It's probably worthwhile to wait then?

Old 04-19-2021 | 03:28 AM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by ExternalGPU
Thanks for the insights.

I'm leaning towards the 4s now.

I heard that the GTS/4GTS is coming at the end of this summer.
It's probably worthwhile to wait then?
If you want everything typically packaged in the GTS, then sure maybe it’s worth it to you. If not, maybe not worth the wait.

Do you have a C4S allocation on deck? If not, you might be waiting awhile no matter what.
Old 04-19-2021 | 03:54 AM
ExternalGPU
Advanced

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
If you want everything typically packaged in the GTS, then sure maybe it’s worth it to you. If not, maybe not worth the wait.

Do you have a C4S allocation on deck? If not, you might be waiting awhile no matter what.

My dealer can place the order for me if I tell him.

It's not the typical packaging of the GTS that I am after. It's the larger turbocharger that gives the Carrera even more power that I want.

I could wait out a year. There will eventually be a "GTS turbo" upgrade like the 991.2 gen car.

I also suspect that the GTS will be more special than the typcial Carrera/S.

I own a 991.2 GTS and I am craving for that same feeling a lil bit.

What do you reckon?
Old 04-19-2021 | 04:45 AM
rumnyc
Instructor

unless you are dealing with snow and ice more than 3 months of the year, i don't see any reason why one would choose the 4 over the 2.
Old 04-19-2021 | 07:57 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I hear the “it doesn’t snow where I live”, but the AWD system also helps in the rain — that’s why Wet mode changes up the operation of the AWD system.

Now, if you don’t drive in the rain at all and don’t drive hard in the dry, then, sure, the AWD system may be of very limited benefit to you.

The 919 isn’t AWD for “snow”.
Old 04-19-2021 | 11:39 AM
rumnyc
Instructor

Originally Posted by detansinn
I hear the “it doesn’t snow where I live”, but the AWD system also helps in the rain — that’s why Wet mode changes up the operation of the AWD system.

Now, if you don’t drive in the rain at all and don’t drive hard in the dry, then, sure, the AWD system may be of very limited benefit to you.

The 919 isn’t AWD for “snow”.
There are those that want to be able to floor it performance and a higher level of safety and rely on the nannies to take care of them. And there are those who don’t care about 0-60 speed and like to break traction for fun. Nothing wrong with either....porsche makes a car for both groups
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (04-25-2021)
Old 04-19-2021 | 12:00 PM
macanspnw
Instructor

FWIW I have a friend here in Portland, where it just happens to rain a lot, and he daily drove a 991.1 C2S manual for almost 7 years with zero issues. Summer tires 8 months of the year and he put snows on Nov-March and took the car to the MT Hood skiing 20 times a winter with zero issues and no accidents. I grew up driving in Minnesota and we never had an AWD car until I was in my 20's. I had no issues driving in snow with FWD or RWD. The right tires trump AWD 100% of the time. I originally was going with a C4S and switched to a C2S because of a few lengthy conversations with my friend. It's not like I'll be going 80-100 during a torrential downpour on the freeways or surface roads around here. Buy the car thats right for you but I would not get too concerned that you must have a C4S over a C2S. If your environment has a lot of snow, put snow ties on it and learn how to drive in the snow
The following 2 users liked this post by macanspnw:
SBAD (04-25-2021), txpackers (04-20-2021)

Quick Reply: C2s vs C4s handling when driving hard difference?