Sponsored by:

Question about taking your 992 to the track

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 12:06 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
That's a heck of a track--I could see how it could end up not going well for somebody.
It is, love it. Done more laps around there than I care to count.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:14 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,219 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Taking your car on a Track is playing a fun and exciting game. But it is a game of Russian Roulette. For some reason you want to argue about how many bullets are in the gun? Good grief!
So is driving on the highway. Or pretty much anything else. I had more damage to car while driving to track than actually on the track (something like 150-200 track days done) and I track with some in open passing groups and time trials with competitive croud. If the organizers and participants are managing the risk, it's very safe.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:57 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Taking your car on a Track is playing a fun and exciting game. But it is a game of Russian Roulette. For some reason you want to argue about how many bullets are in the gun? Good grief!
There's no need to perpetuate a stereotype. We would prefer Firearm Roulette.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:58 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 425 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ Nice, an actual visit to Porsche Track Experience does sound enticing. It's would entire vacation for me, basically, since I live in the Chicago area. Being that it's in Alabama, if my family followed along they would be pretty bored as I'm pretty sure there is little else there to do.

Regarding tracking my own car, even at a beginner level.....still on the fence. I'm inherently a lazy MF (plus very busy). If there has to be too much prep (buying extra insurance, applying extra wrap to parts of my car, etc) it quickly turns into a chore and loses the fun factor.
Do not be a wimp, find a DE day at Autobahn Country club or Road America, you have to nothing to your car, except let air out of your tires!
Old 01-29-2021, 04:20 AM
FSB
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
Do not be a wimp, find a DE day at Autobahn Country club or Road America, you have to nothing to your car, except let air out of your tires!
I totally agree with you! All the preparation of the 911 for the track day is to set low tire pressure. By the way, it's not a bad idea to have a compress or a pressure gauge with you, this is a rare thing on tracks and there may be a queue.
It is equally important to prepare the driver-only a light meal before the race and the mandatory study of the on-board video (preferably with telemetry) before leaving the track. A good option is to do a few laps with the instructor in your car or in the car in front.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:59 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,157 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
Im from Milw love Road Amer, 4mi.-14 turns ,one of the best tracks and prettiest areas in the US No comparison to the dusty desert tracks ive been running for the last 22 years in SO CAL. carl
Old 01-29-2021, 03:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,681 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
Im from Milw love Road Amer, 4mi.-14 turns ,one of the best tracks and prettiest areas in the US No comparison to the dusty desert tracks ive been running for the last 22 years in SO CAL. carl
Have you been to Thermal?

Nearly 6 miles, with over 25 turns.

It's like the equivalent of Augusta for track junkies.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:10 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,157 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Have you been to Thermal?

Nearly 6 miles, with over 25 turns.

It's like the equivalent of Augusta for track junkies.
No but ive spent a lot of time at spring mountain. Great facility, have a friend thats a member,lots of configurations up to 6.2 mi eventually they will have a 14mi circuit but you really don't want to go in the summer 100+ every day. carl
Old 01-29-2021, 05:37 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

I've been to the Barber PTX 4 times. They encourage you run their cars as hard as you can in the advanced courses. You eat their tires and fuel, run over cones, power slide them, anything goes mechanical, they take the car in and you jump into another identical car, fleet is now 992 Carrera S and they can go like stink. Technical track that requires finesse (something I'm still searching for).

The 3 and 4 day classes sell out quick for a reason.

That's sated my needs for tracking, at a 1st class facility with accomplished coaches. Once Covid is done I'm going to the winter driving classes.

Quick Reply: Question about taking your 992 to the track