Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sales Agent Pressure On Certain Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 11:15 AM
Sorcerer 11
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 110 Posts

I'm one of the rare breed here that opted for a sunroof, but only because I wanted it. My dealer did not pressurize me at all and I made my own decisions.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 12:07 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

I wanted the glass sunroof for a more open feeling cockpit, but frankly couldn't care less if it didn't actually open. I rarely open it. I wish Porsche had a fixed glass panoramic roof option in the 911 like the Taycan's roof. My uncle got the carbon fiber roof option in his car. He doesn't want a sunroof either. To each their own. At this price point, your "sales consultant" should keep their mouth shut and just let you enjoy the experience of ordering your luxury sports car the way you want. UNLESS you ask them for advice specifically for future resale purposes, they should just shut up and be thankful you are giving them your business. You don't have to, and can go elsewhere. They should know that, and respect it.
detansinn (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 12:20 PM
markc911

Received 43 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
For those of you that have found yourself in this situation when reviewing a build with a sales agent...how do you politely, respectfully respond to a sales agent you pressures you to add options to your build that you do not desire? The pressure to add a sunroof is the big one that comes to mind. I know this might be a common sense thing, but I'd still like to hear how others have dealt with pressure from dealers that tell them they are making a mistake if they don't add option (fill in the blank). It's a conversation that quite frankly sounds really not fun and potentially awkward, telling a sales agent, "I don't care if you think it hurts resale, this is what I want, ok?!"

Thanks to y'all in advance, just trying to prepare to stand my ground while being as kind and respectful as possible.
I am a Certified Porsche Sales Associate and I ordered my personal 2020 911 Carrera without a sunroof. The entire point of ordering a car is to get exactly what you want. I would be happy to place your order provided that I have an allocation or can get an allocation for that particular vehicle.
The following 3 users liked this post by markc911:
detansinn (01-23-2021), Glerald (01-23-2021), mdrobc1213 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 02:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,682 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Debating sunroof / no sunroof is starting to take on the PDK / 7 MT debate.
aggie57 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 02:39 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 753 Likes on 426 Posts

The only reason they care is in case you walk they want the car to have the options that will allow for a quick sale off the lot without a big discount.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:35 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
Or just out and out go to battle, get your mouth ahead of theirs, maybe have chips lined up you collected along the way. But as I've gotten older, I'm more interested in enjoying my day, helping others enjoy theirs and just calmly opening the gate and walking through it.
it’s true. Time is worth more now. I was negotiating for my sister and the longer it took the bigger the favor she was going to owe me so .... the SA gave up after about 20 minutes. Negotiating with someone who doesn’t give a **** about the deal (sorry sis) and has non financial incentives is plain holding the wrong end of the stick.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:41 PM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 118 Posts

For those of you that have found yourself in this situation when reviewing a build with a sales agent...how do you politely, respectfully respond to a sales agent you pressures you to add options to your build that you do not desire? The pressure to add a sunroof is the big one that comes to mind. I know this might be a common sense thing, but I'd still like to hear how others have dealt with pressure from dealers that tell them they are making a mistake if they don't add option (fill in the blank). It's a conversation that quite frankly sounds really not fun and potentially awkward, telling a sales agent, "I don't care if you think it hurts resale, this is what I want, ok?!"

Thanks to y'all in advance, just trying to prepare to stand my ground while being as kind and respectful as possible.
thank you but no thank you. If he/she persists then ask for another sales person
Old 01-23-2021, 04:46 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm not sure I understand the diatribe against sunroofs. How does an open sunroof differ from a Cab with its top down? If you don't like the feel of sun and wind, that's understandable, but it is hard to imagine that thousands of Cab buyers are out there suffering with their decisions. Also, how many people really experience leaks with their sunroofs? In a Porsche, it is probably a very, very rare occurrence. Regarding resale, my SA absolutely agrees that it is my choice and he'd happily order my car whichever way I want. He just pointed out that cars without sunroofs are much more difficult to sell when the time comes. (I've been dealing with this guy for 25 years, and I trust him). I figured if I only use the sunroof only once in a while, on beautiful spring and autumn days, then it will be worth it-- plus, I'll probably get the $1500 back on trade-in, so the open roof option is probably free, or nearly so over the car's life cycle.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:55 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 257 Posts

I had incredible pressure to buy extra options that I didn't want or had interest, but I was very happy that it happened, because my sales lady was HOT !
Old 01-23-2021, 05:00 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
I'm not sure I understand the diatribe against sunroofs. How does an open sunroof differ from a Cab with its top down? If you don't like the feel of sun and wind, that's understandable, but it is hard to imagine that thousands of Cab buyers are out there suffering with their decisions. Also, how many people really experience leaks with their sunroofs? In a Porsche, it is probably a very, very rare occurrence. Regarding resale, my SA absolutely agrees that it is my choice and he'd happily order my car whichever way I want. He just pointed out that cars without sunroofs are much more difficult to sell when the time comes. (I've been dealing with this guy for 25 years, and I trust him). I figured if I only use the sunroof only once in a while, on beautiful spring and autumn days, then it will be worth it-- plus, I'll probably get the $1500 back on trade-in, so the open roof option is probably free, or nearly so over the car's life cycle.
The sunroof itself is not the issue. It's the sales pressure to get one. The premise that a sunroof is an obligatory option for resale. I remember not too long ago, this was practically dogma around here and a pretty common line from sales people.

Marantz2270 (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 05:00 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
I've had sunroofs in every car I've ever had, some trucks with, some not. Never had even a single problem with any of them. As soon as someone commits to a choice there's confirmation bias.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:16 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 257 Posts

if you plan to seriously race this car, then a sun roof is a no no ! A racing car is strengthened by an aftermarket install of a roll cage. The Sun Roof is a weak area . I found out,the hard way, when I went to sell my 2003 BMW M3 manual transmission. People appreciated the Dinan Upgrade
but said that it was incompatible with track use because of the sun roof , so collectors were less interested.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:30 PM
MFC993
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Biersmith
When my guy started pushing a couple things I didn't want, I asked if he was throwing them in at no charge? Crickets after that.
The dealership I bought my Cayenne S from actually did that. My SA was going over the build sheet and told me they sprung for the heated steering wheel, said "you'll use it all the time and it helps with re-sale" He was right, it's my favorite option LOL ..
Old 01-23-2021, 08:21 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,952 Likes on 792 Posts

That's fair, I can see how you'd think it is a strange thing to ask about. I'll stand my ground for sure, just curious to hear other's mindsets in such interactions. In any case, people have shared thoughts here already that I have found very helpful. So thanks everyone!
No need to go ballistic or to gently tell them no. Just be casual and firm about what you want. "I'd strongly recommend speccing the sunroof for resale purposes." You: "Understood. No thanks. Give me the carbon roof please."
Old 01-23-2021, 08:28 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,952 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
At this price point, your "sales consultant" should keep their mouth shut and just let you enjoy the experience of ordering your luxury sports car the way you want. UNLESS you ask them for advice specifically for future resale purposes, they should just shut up and be thankful you are giving them your business. You don't have to, and can go elsewhere. They should know that, and respect it.
Well I don't know about them just shutting up. I think it's reasonable for the sales person to give some insights on options and how others spec'd their cars and their thought process. I'm sure it would be helpful for people in picking the thousands of combinations possible. It's just that people in car forums tend to be much more knowledgeable and have usually done a ton of pre-purchase research and spent countless hours on the online configurator already. If I were a lay person off the street who didn't know anything about these cars, I'd appreciate some guidance.

With that said, I agree they should not come off as pushy in any way - unless the customer is specing a crazy color combo or something truly outlandish. Then, they should just make sure that's what the customer wants.

Quick Reply: Sales Agent Pressure On Certain Options