Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sales Agent Pressure On Certain Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 08:43 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

This is a very strange thread. its one thing for your salesperson to lightly suggest options and quite another for them to pressure you on them. At that point I would be walking out and going to a different dealer.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:27 PM
Jerry Yordy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was trying to configure my C4S in December and the SA kept pushing a heated steering wheel, saying that must people want one and it makes it easier to sell. I’m in Rhode Island and have never had a heated steering wheel so always said no. Eventually after talking to his sales manager, he says if I’m not absolutely against it, they will add it to the build at no cost to me. I wondered about this for awhile. I figure they don’t expect me to complete the purchase and so wanted it to make their sale easier. It doesn’t appear on my final build, so I guess they changed their minds. For which I’m glad.

He also pushed the sun roof, which I didn’t want. It’s been on many of our cars but we never used them. Then I took my wife for a test drive in a 911 with a sunroof; she wanted one. So, we’ll have a sunroof. How can I object, she has no problems with me buying a $150K car, how can I refuse her a sunroof.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:32 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,111 Likes on 2,042 Posts

Every vehicle I’ve had with a sunroof, I never open it. I might open it once a year just to see if it still works.
The following 2 users liked this post by shrimp money:
PBM (01-25-2021), Wilsontour (01-25-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 12:08 AM
Jerry Yordy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, me too, if once a year. I don’t really want it, but read the last sentence in my original post.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:01 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 821 Likes on 454 Posts

With me I had a spreadsheet already optioned out from time with the Porsche Online Configurator with like 5 different builds to include my final one so I knew what I wanted. Also have had like 5 911's and had my 991.1 for like 5.5 yrs so I knew what I liked and didn't like and used and never touched in that car so it was easy. My SA just went thru the menus for interior, exterior, wheels, performance options with me while entering my final build from my spreadsheet while I followed along. When it came to something I had omitted or added that maybe could be a question he asked why I either I had made that choice or not and I gave him a reason...one or two things he noted on my current car I'd left off like Porsche crest on the seats and when we did cost comparison and look I added. Others like SPASM which I had in my 991.1 and left off my 992 he asked and I told him that lower ride was more stiff, car wasn't tracked, and it was hell on my front spoiler and just waste of $$ to add it for me...so I added CF mirror set which I did like and added more value to me or the PSE.

IMHO if you go in NOT knowing what you want then that is where the problem will lie and the SA will try to add what is the ordinary buyer wants or car they often spec. That may work out well for you but IMHO will rarely result in savings to your pocket! Before going with my allocation I had my dealer pull all cars avail that had my MUST have items and we couldn't find ONE that didn't have about $10k of extra crap I would NEVER order and didn't want! Just the name of the game out there it seems. But definitely get what YOU want NOT the dealer OR the next buyer!
The following users liked this post:
AlterZgo (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 11:57 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
if you plan to seriously race this car, then a sun roof is a no no ! A racing car is strengthened by an aftermarket install of a roll cage. The Sun Roof is a weak area . I found out,the hard way, when I went to sell my 2003 BMW M3 manual transmission. People appreciated the Dinan Upgrade
but said that it was incompatible with track use because of the sun roof , so collectors were less interested.
Except in a 992 the body structure is identical whether a sunroof is installed or not. It’s just a different insert used.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:46 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,683 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Except in a 992 the body structure is identical whether a sunroof is installed or not. It’s just a different insert used.
But that insert makes a difference.

I would imagine the tensile strength with aluminum composite (no sunroof) would be higher than, say, with a glass sunroof.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:54 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
But that insert makes a difference.

I would imagine the tensile strength with aluminum composite (no sunroof) would be higher than, say, with a glass sunroof.
Probably not so much. A steel tube has very nearly the same bending moment as a solid rod - no reported problems of chassis flex from Cab owners. I guess you could justify filling in rear quarter windows with metal as a logical sequel of such a consideration?
Old 01-25-2021, 07:03 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Without data, it's all speculation.

I suspect the difference is negligible - at least enough to be perceivable by mere mortals.

Of course that is speculation as well.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:14 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,683 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercuriell
Probably not so much. A steel tube has very nearly the same bending moment as a solid rod - no reported problems of chassis flex from Cab owners. I guess you could justify filling in rear quarter windows with metal as a logical sequel of such a consideration?
I don't know the actual data, but from CAR magazine:

Old 01-25-2021, 07:27 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I don't know the actual data, but from CAR magazine:
Interesting article 👍 - of course stiffness isn’t always a virtue - if aircraft wings didn’t flex they’d snap off 😳

Quick Reply: Sales Agent Pressure On Certain Options