Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sales Agent Pressure On Certain Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 08:26 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 139 Posts

Interestingly as I was showing a potential configuration to a saleswoman, she actually recommended changes to lower the cost and not once suggested a sunroof. She suggested I downgrade from Burmester to Bose because I won’t hear much of a difference. She also suggested going to 14 ways instead of 18 ways saying it will be just as comfortable for me. I actually appreciated her trying to save me money. It raised my trust level with her and the dealership. In the end, I’m not going to change though. I know I’ll always regret it if I don’t get the Burmester. And when I sat in both types of seats, the 18 ways were immediately comfortable and I struggled to get the 14 ways there.

BTW: she never brought up that I had no sunroof. All my cars I’ve owned in 25 years of buying new cars have come with sunroofs automatically. I can probably count on my hands and toes the total number of times any of them have been opened. I just don’t like driving with a sunroof open. Heck, I don’t even like driving with the windows down.
The following 2 users liked this post by txpackers:
AlexCeres (01-23-2021), detansinn (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 08:41 AM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by txpackers
Interestingly as I was showing a potential configuration to a saleswoman, she actually recommended changes to lower the cost and not once suggested a sunroof. She suggested I downgrade from Burmester to Bose because I won’t hear much of a difference. She also suggested going to 14 ways instead of 18 ways saying it will be just as comfortable for me. I actually appreciated her trying to save me money. It raised my trust level with her and the dealership. In the end, I’m not going to change though. I know I’ll always regret it if I don’t get the Burmester. And when I sat in both types of seats, the 18 ways were immediately comfortable and I struggled to get the 14 ways there.

BTW: she never brought up that I had no sunroof. All my cars I’ve owned in 25 years of buying new cars have come with sunroofs automatically. I can probably count on my hands and toes the total number of times any of them have been opened. I just don’t like driving with a sunroof open. Heck, I don’t even like driving with the windows down.
Something to ponder...I have 4 way sport plus seats and they were immediately comfortable without the $3K worth of motors...and my Bose sounds pretty good.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 08:48 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Originally Posted by frankchn
Agree with everyone else. Unless you are spec'ing the car out like this, just stand your ground.
Well, that car was spec'd by someone who totally ignored their SA. 😜 That is a "the customer is always right" car. LOL

I think that it really depends upon the SA that you're dealing with. I think that, for the most part, they're trying to be helpful and guide people from making configuration mistakes. It's not like checking off that sunroof option is going to significantly enrich their pockets on a commission with a car like this. At the end, it's your money and your choices, but be open for feedback from the SA as much as you would be from your fellow RennList'ers.

PS. IMHO. I do think that ordering a Carrera without a sunroof is a mistake. The glass sunroof really opens up the cabin and makes things feel less claustrophobic. A 992 without a sunroof (metal or glass) can't use the excellent Porsche roof rack -- it's a less functional car without a sunroof. Of course, like other choices, this has been litigated on many RennList threads.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:49 AM
Mozella55
Instructor

Received 275 Likes on 114 Posts

Why discuss options with a salesman at all? Porsche has a great configuration site and there are tons of videos and other sources of information on what each and every option does, how it works, how much it costs, how much it's really worth, and so-on. Study up and make up your own mind about what you need/want. And if you're unsure about any option, you are better off making an inquire on a place like this forum than at a dealership. Opinions will vary of course, but at least you can sort out the fly s**t from the pepper after hearing from folks who actually own a car with the option in question.

Once you've decided on the model and options you want, print out the configuration and hand it to your dealer. Say, "Order this please". Actually, you should say, "Do you have an allocation for this car or can you trade for the appropriate allocation in 48 hours or less? If so, place this order".
Old 01-23-2021, 08:56 AM
Mozella55
Instructor

Received 275 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by gohawks23
Something to ponder...I have 4 way sport plus seats and they were immediately comfortable without the $3K worth of motors...and my Bose sounds pretty good.
I'm with you. My Panamera has the fancy sound system, a sun roof, and the fancy seats too but only because it was used and that's the way it came. I tested the sun roof, but I never open it. I think they're silly, but that's just me.

I just took delivery of a new Cayman last week with the cheap seats, the standard sound system, and no sunroof. As far as I can tell, it's just as comfortable, sounds just as good, and I never give the non-existent sun roof a second thought except when I wash the car; I'm glad I don't worry about leaks.

Perhaps I'm not sophisticated or sensitive enough to appreciate the finer things in life.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:02 AM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by detansinn
PS. IMHO. I do think that ordering a Carrera without a sunroof is a mistake. The glass sunroof really opens up the cabin and makes things feel less claustrophobic. A 992 without a sunroof (metal or glass) can't use the excellent Porsche roof rack -- it's a less functional car without a sunroof. Of course, like other choices, this has been litigated on many RennList threads.
Agreed. My 17 M3 had a carbon fiber roof so no sunroof and was really dark inside especially with black leather interior...so to change that up I went cab on my C2S...haha.
The following 2 users liked this post by gohawks23:
Carcam (01-24-2021), detansinn (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 09:06 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mozella55
I just took delivery of a new Cayman last week with the cheap seats, the standard sound system, and no sunroof.
I believe the Cayman sunroof option is called a Boxster ...
The following 3 users liked this post by Stevelev:
aggie57 (01-24-2021), Leecw (01-25-2021), michael818 (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 09:12 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Well, that car was spec'd by someone who totally ignored their SA. 😜 That is a "the customer is always right" car. LOL

I think that it really depends upon the SA that you're dealing with. I think that, for the most part, they're trying to be helpful and guide people from making configuration mistakes. It's not like checking off that sunroof option is going to significantly enrich their pockets on a commission with a car like this. At the end, it's your money and your choices, but be open for feedback from the SA as much as you would be from your fellow RennList'ers.

Counter argument: Lighter, No leaks, No creaks, Easier to wash/wax, Less cabin heat when parked outside, Cheaper.

That said, on a lighter color car, the visual contrast of the glass sunroof looks nice. If I was getting a lighter car, I'd consider it for that reason alone. The heat issue is a big one for me since I DD my car and park it outside for hours at a time.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:15 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
If you want to go nuclear, just pretend to be someone with half your IQ. It’s hilarious and nobody is prepared to handle it. Like, are you ready to make this sale, or do you want to explain what the word is means again ?

then explain to them how the lease money factor is unacceptable and you brought your own financing and watch the hate grow behind their eyes.

look, we could have done this the easy way where you just do everything the customer pays you for, but nooooo you wanted to do it the hard way
Or just out and out go to battle, get your mouth ahead of theirs, maybe have chips lined up you collected along the way. But as I've gotten older, I'm more interested in enjoying my day, helping others enjoy theirs and just calmly opening the gate and walking through it.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:24 AM
Glerald
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 56 Posts

Old 01-23-2021, 09:29 AM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 442 Likes on 213 Posts

Another counter argument: If I was personally ever looking at used 992 I would not even look at one with a sunroof. I just don't want one and glad I could order my new one without one. No way would I let the salesperson talk me into anything I do not want, even if it was free. I do appreciate their advise though as my guy helped me understand a couple of the options that I was a bit confused about and I added them. He didn't talk me into anything, he just clarified things for me and I thanked him for that. I find most Porsche/BMW S/A's are pretty knowledgeable about their product.
The following users liked this post:
txpackers (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 10:02 AM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

I understand that a glass roof might make the cabin feel more open...but in reality you gain headroom in a non-sunroof car. I'm only 6' tall, but I imagine the taller brethren among us notice the difference.

Also: I know that the 911 is a versatile sports car, but I personally don't need this car to do everything, including carry my bike or some other rack-able toy (more power to those that do though!), so for me what I sacrifice in all-purpose function I make up for in peace of mind that the roof won't leak (even if this is rare, it matters to me).
Old 01-23-2021, 10:07 AM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by gohawks23
Agreed. My 17 M3 had a carbon fiber roof so no sunroof and was really dark inside especially with black leather interior...so to change that up I went cab on my C2S...haha.
Nice, I like your style. Want more light? Get a convertible!

Meanwhile, I'll be in the dungeon that is my all-black interior C2S with no sunroof. It's weird...I've been driving a car with no sunroof for years, and never once have I thought, "Man, it's so dark in here."

Last edited by Marantz2270; 01-23-2021 at 10:07 AM. Reason: grammar
The following 3 users liked this post by Marantz2270:
JustChris (01-23-2021), michael818 (01-23-2021), txpackers (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 10:12 AM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
Nice, I like your style. Want more light? Get a convertible!

Meanwhile, I'll be in the dungeon that is my all-black interior C2S with no sunroof. It's weird...I've been driving a car with no sunroof for years, and never once have I thought, "Man, it's so dark in here."
It was noticeable to me as my first car ever without a sunroof!

For all my BMWs it worked really well for me to just pop the roof and slightly lower rear passenger side window to get nice air flow in the cabin too...

PS, I'm 6'3" and never have had an issue with headroom and sunroofs.

Last edited by gohawks23; 01-23-2021 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:06 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 263 Posts

I'm in the "no sunroof" camp....
SA once suggested for resale I'd be wise to consider, but I had considered... reasoning more headroom (I'm 6'6"), no possibility for creaks, rattles and leaks, more structural rigidity, a lower CG plus having a panoramic sunroof on 2 other vehicles (dealer ordered AMG and Plat F150) that never get used... He quit and so it's "no sunroof" for me.

Quick Reply: Sales Agent Pressure On Certain Options