Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone regret not getting PSE??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 10:17 AM
GoCards67
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 85 Posts

My dealer quoted me $5500 to add PSE to a car on their lot. What other options do I have to get a better sound? Looks like all the systems I have seen replace the PCM that's already installed ie Akrapovik. Soul and Fabspeed have nothing yet. Any thoughts? I can buy PSE from Suncoast and get coded. I just don't want to make a mistake and not have options.
The following users liked this post:
malba2366 (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 11:19 AM
Glerald
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 56 Posts

I bought my MY20 C2S CPO and it came with PSE. I wouldn’t have ordered it but do admit I like it and my 16 year old son really likes it.
mdrobc1213 (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 12:04 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,153 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by GoCards67
My dealer quoted me $5500 to add PSE to a car on their lot. What other options do I have to get a better sound? Looks like all the systems I have seen replace the PCM that's already installed ie Akrapovik. Soul and Fabspeed have nothing yet. Any thoughts? I can buy PSE from Suncoast and get coded. I just don't want to make a mistake and not have options.
$ 5,500 is ridiculous for retrofitting a middling factory exhaust. I had a Tubi on my '14 991, it was fantastic - my new 2021 has Porsche PSE and its a groaner. Nice enough I guess - but I wouldn't pay a dollar to retrofit it when there are some really nice aftermarket systems out there for that same $ 5,500. You don't need the PSE button in the interior, that's just a gadget.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:19 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
$ 5,500 is ridiculous for retrofitting a middling factory exhaust. I had a Tubi on my '14 991, it was fantastic - my new 2021 has Porsche PSE and its a groaner. Nice enough I guess - but I wouldn't pay a dollar to retrofit it when there are some really nice aftermarket systems out there for that same $ 5,500. You don't need the PSE button in the interior, that's just a gadget.
According to the Akrapovic website programming is required. Is that the case? They also mention a change in horsepower. Will the mod place the warranty in jeopardy?
Old 01-16-2021, 12:35 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,153 Likes on 1,467 Posts

You would not need a remap program to just install the cat-back portions of the exhaust, the remap is required when add the "links" which are high-flow sport catalytic convertors.. The DME via the O2 sensors will automatically adjust for any increase in exhaust flow as the car is being driven. I am always skeptical of HP claims with something as simple as a bolt on exhaust. I've had a lot of pipes on a lot of cars and motorcycles, they never really feel any more powerful, but they are lighter, to be sure. Lighter is better.

Sport Cats can really alter a car. Now you WILL get more flow and they *can* be very loud. I had a set of 200 Cell Quicksilver cats on my Aston Martin that I put on and you could hear the car 3/4's of a mile away, that wasn't for me - couldn't hear myself think in the cabin while driving. They came off and were sold. That's not saying the Akro / Soul or whomever's cats will be that loud, but be prepared for it. Best to get a ride in someone's car that has already done it, then you will know if they are for you. I would say try the cat-back exhaust first and live with it for a few weeks. If you want more, then buy the sports cats.

Warranty is not void unless tied DIRECTLY to the installation of the aftermarket piece.

The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
mdrobc1213 (01-16-2021), Russian Mafia (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 12:55 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

^ There have been mixed opinions here about the sport cats in the 992 in the threads that I’ve read.

Some have said that they’ve made the exhaust notably louder, while others were disappointed that it wasn’t so much. I think for sure that they increase turbo sounds. I say increase but in reality I don’t hear the turbos at all with the stock cats.

Either way, my Soul cats should hopefully be arriving in a few days so I shall see for myself
Old 01-16-2021, 02:00 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,135 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Stumbled across this YouTube video...

The following 4 users liked this post by detansinn:
mdrobc1213 (01-16-2021), mikey94025 (01-16-2021), Overdraft (01-17-2021), smiles11 (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 03:24 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,381 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Stumbled across this YouTube video...
I wonder if that’s in a GPF country. The non-PSE car sounds like a vacuum cleaner.
mdrobc1213 (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 03:28 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 753 Likes on 426 Posts

See how much they would want to install the Akrapovic exhaust. You would need a new rear valence (black plastic trim pieces with cutouts for exhaust pipes), and the dealer will have to install/code the dash button if you want that - but they would have to do both to install the PSE exhaust too. It may cost a few hundred dollars more, but it will be a way nicer exhaust.

Last edited by malba2366; 01-16-2021 at 03:35 PM.
mdrobc1213 (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 05:56 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
I wonder if that’s in a GPF country. The non-PSE car sounds like a vacuum cleaner.
Well...unless you’ve installed sports cats on your vacuum cleaner, as I have.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:58 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 199 Posts

NO
Old 01-16-2021, 06:13 PM
GoCards67
Rennlist Member

This car has the quad sport pipes option which i yjink looks great would love to be able to keep that since im paying for it. I wonder if Akrapovik will make any replacement that will work with the quads. I need to reach out to them direcly. I appreciate everyones feedback!!
Old 01-16-2021, 09:17 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 821 Likes on 454 Posts

That is probably about right...what you need to know from the dealer is how much are they charging you for the PSE itself (Suncoast is on sale for $3200) and how much is the labor to do so. Should be only replacement of stock exhaust with PSE exhaust since both have valves no need to add/re-route vacuum lines and wiring and install new PSE buttons in the interior as before (Had that done on my 991.1 and that is much more costly from a labor standpoint). They'll need to change the rear valence also which is an added cost (sport has dual ovals) and then code the car since the PSE function is now in the PCM also...so that's a hour of coding/labor time. So $5500 outside the norm. If you're buying the car new then I'd try to either get a more of a discount on the car or maybe counter them for say you pay labor and they add the cost of the PSE into the deal as an OTD price that reflects some discount of some sort on the either the PSE or the car itself.

As a comparison...I had PSE on my car from production and had an Akrapovic exhaust already purchased and ready to install when the car was delivered. Installation by the dealer cost me $800 dollars with a discount for being a PCA member/military discount so that should give you some comparison as to labor costs to do the job. Good luck. Its doe-able and does at min offer some improvement on sound.

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 01-16-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:50 PM
GoCards67
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
That is probably about right...what you need to know from the dealer is how much are they charging you for the PSE itself (Suncoast is on sale for $3200) and how much is the labor to do so. Should be only replacement of stock exhaust with PSE exhaust since both have valves no need to add/re-route vacuum lines and wiring and install new PSE buttons in the interior as before (Had that done on my 991.1 and that is much more costly from a labor standpoint). They'll need to change the rear valence also which is an added cost (sport has dual ovals) and then code the car since the PSE function is now in the PCM also...so that's a hour of coding/labor time. So $5500 outside the norm. If you're buying the car new then I'd try to either get a more of a discount on the car or maybe counter them for say you pay labor and they add the cost of the PSE into the deal as an OTD price that reflects some discount of some sort on the either the PSE or the car itself.

As a comparison...I had PSE on my car from production and had an Akrapovic exhaust already purchased and ready to install when the car was delivered. Installation by the dealer cost me $800 dollars with a discount for being a PCA member/military discount so that should give you some comparison as to labor costs to do the job. Good luck. Its doe-able and does at min offer some improvement on sound.
so any of the electrical/vaacum stuff is already there? I can do the mechanical stuff. Those items were what i was worried about. I may be able to get the coding added into the deal. I dont have to have the button correct? You can activate with the screen or can I assigne to one of the diamond buttons?
TY
Old 01-16-2021, 10:43 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 753 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213

What are your thoughts on PSE vs the Akra? Did you do the cats as well?

Quick Reply: Anyone regret not getting PSE??