Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone regret not getting PSE??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 10:43 PM
KCviper
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I bought my C2S off the showroom floor and it does not have PSE. I thought this might be a deal breaker, but I really loved the look of the quad oval tailpipes so I bought the car. Don't miss PSE as I really don't have a great comparison....so, I'm happy with what I got!
The following 3 users liked this post by KCviper:
dsyeggy (01-13-2021), flfreak (01-13-2021), HouTexCarreraS (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 12:18 AM
GoCards67
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 85 Posts

Anyone have a base Carrera non PSE that seems louder after getting broken in? The car i drove was just unwrapped at the dealer and i didnt want to flog it too hard with 3 miles on the clock.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:29 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,155 Likes on 1,469 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanqueray86
I have PSE and I have been considering Akrapovic for awhile. The issue is, who do I trust to install the parts in Virginia. I can ask Porsche Arlington or Silverspring, but the labor is going to be a kick in the nuts.
Like to get dirty? Bring it over to my house on a Sunday when its warms up and we can knock it out. I have the tools and skill set. I haven't done a 992, but I did my 991, it wasn't hard. I'm in Fairfax Station.

​​​​​​https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...91s-today.html

We're gonna need some of this to install it properly, however.

The following 8 users liked this post by drcollie:
843Spyder (01-15-2021), flfreak (01-13-2021), Jimmyk79 (01-17-2021), KG-Virus (01-13-2021), Overdraft (01-16-2021), Tupper (01-13-2021), vroooom (07-08-2023), WhitBroo (01-13-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-13-2021, 08:50 AM
Tanqueray86
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Like to get dirty? Bring it over to my house on a Sunday when its warms up and we can knock it out. I have the tools and skill set. I haven't done a 992, but I did my 991, it wasn't hard. I'm in Fairfax Station.

That sounds great! I’m in Arlington.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:00 AM
sweylo
Advanced

Received 90 Likes on 32 Posts

That sounds great! I’m in Arlington.
I would like to join from Arlington as well, though mostly for the refreshments

And Mr. Collie - I'm very jealous of your neighborhood! I drive down to Fairfax Station regularly just to take advantage of the fun twisty roads, especially Hampton Road.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:30 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Thanks for the beer tip! I've not had this one.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:02 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by GoCards67
I found a car on a dealer lot with a great build that I can get immediately...but no Porsche Sports Exhaust. I really want PSE. Has anyone had the dealer add it? And for those without PSE, does not having it matter that much?
My 991 was CPO and had no PSE. I wanted it on the car and negotiated with the dealeship. Dealer finally agreed to match the purchase price from Suncoast and install for free. After an initial issue because a hose came loose, all went well with the car and the buyer who purchased from me is very happy with the car and the fact that it had PSE. If you want it, get it. Check with dealership and local shops to see what install might cost. In my case. when I initially balked at the cost of install and called to cancel the sale, the dealer did the install free.

Last edited by michael818; 01-13-2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:46 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

If you drink beer with the Akrapovic install, just make sure you drink the beer AFTER the job is done
Old 01-13-2021, 11:39 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Oh no, beer is a lubricant! It makes all the fasteners go on easier....

Any of you guys want to do this that live in No VA, we can plan a day in March/ April. I have Jackpoint stands, all the air tools, a full Snap On box, know how to take the rear bumpers off, etc. and room for ten cars in the driveway. It has to be warm out though, laying on the ground when its 30 degrees out is not a lot of fun. My 991 Tubi install took 2 hours or so. Always bring new air filters in case the rear bumper cover has to come off - you won't believe how quickly these get dirty (991 shown).

Hampton / Henderson is right behind my house, just a mile away. It's my <ahem> test track....lol

-Duane

The following 6 users liked this post by drcollie:
atl1glf (01-16-2021), aw305 (01-13-2021), cg760 (01-17-2021), chong0 (01-13-2021), Dan Nagy (01-17-2021), Tanqueray86 (01-13-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-13-2021, 11:42 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ Wow, that garage is amazing. You obviously have skills that I don't have. I wouldn't even begin to want to even think about trying to tackle something like that myself.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:43 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Any of you guys want to do this that live in No VA, we can plan a day in March/ April. I have Jackpoint stands, all the air tools, a full Snap On box, know how to take the rear bumpers off, etc. and room for ten cars in the driveway. It has to be warm out though, laying on the ground when its 30 degrees out is not a lot of fun. My 991 Tubi install took 2 hours or so. Always bring new air filters in case the rear bumper cover has to come off - you won't believe how quickly these get dirty (991 shown).

Hampton / Henderson is right behind my house, just a mile away. It's my <ahem> test track....lol

-Duane

Please keep me in the loop. It would be worth the trip just to check out your garage, but I do want to see the installation.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:44 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

-Duane
What's that floor? Looks great.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:52 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Racedeck's Tuffshield floor. It's nice, I put it down in 2014. They have a very fun configurator on their website so you can design your floor digitally and play with the color combos.

https://racedeck.com/designer/

I am always glad to assist, but know I'm going to teach you how to do it, not do it for you! Last guy that came over walked down at the end of the driveway and was on his cell phone the whole time while I was his "Free Mechanic", None of that nonsense, that's why I say "ready to get dirty?".
The following 5 users liked this post by drcollie:
997usa (01-15-2021), aggie57 (01-13-2021), JustChris (01-18-2021), Lee8084 (01-15-2021), Tanqueray86 (01-14-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 12:08 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Damn, too bad you live in Virginia! (I lived in Washington DC from 2003-2006 so I'm very familiar with the Arlington/Fairfax area)

I need your equivalent in Chicago
Old 01-15-2021, 08:24 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 821 Likes on 454 Posts

So you are saying that a non-PSE equipped car can upgrade to Akrapovic and the Akrapovic valves will open at the RPM that the OEM actuators are designed to open the valves on a non-PSE 992?
Yes you ca do it...there are a few vendors who sell Akropovic and can give you the information and additional parts needed. You will need to change out the rear valance trim quad/square tips for dual ovals and that will be an additional cost along with having the dealer activate and program your PSE button to open the valves manually in Sport mode or PSE button on dash.
Yes,

There is nothing magic about PSE, in fact if anything their exhaust is more constrained as it has to stay within certain noise thresholds as they are the car manufacturer. Aftermarket suppliers have no such constraints so ultimately you will get much nicer tone from them. Having said that, its important to buy an aftermarket properly-designed exhaust and stay away from those center muffler delete X-Pipes which create boom and resonance. Years ago I posted a diagram how it all works - can't seem to find that diagram but it easily explained it visually.

1) The two valves that open on the exhaust are controlled by the car's DME or "brain". They typically open up at a certain rpm or vacuum level to give you more sound and the DME sends a signal to the valves via vacuum hose, and they stay open as long as those parameters are met. This happens on all the valved exhausts.

2) The PSE button in the car's cockpit is simply an override switch that tells the DME to open them on command and not wait for the parameters in # 1, so you can get that sound at idle or low speeds. This PSE button is a subset of the vehicle's air conditioning system wiring loop, so you can't simply plug it in if your car doesn't have it, it has to be programmed by the Porsche dealer to activate it and they will charge an hour of shop time to do that, plus you have to buy the switch itself. Then, it will operate any aftermarket exhaust the same way. The aftermarket pipe makers know this and offer you a remote control or even phone app to do the same thing.

I bought my 992S off the showroom floor and it had PSE as equipped, but my Tubi exhaust I had on my 991S was much, much nicer. Tha Akrapovic is one of the classiest pipes on the market, but has a big-nut price tag.- $ 5K or so. It's lighter than stock, has much better tone (with no boom or resonance) and I think worth it if you are going to keep your car 5 or more years. Again, suggest you avoid the cheaper X-Pipes, I have never liked them, too loud and too boomy.
Yes all of the above...as you note though the Akrapovic is one of the best made and nicest sounding exhausts out there for these cars. Had one on my 991.1 and yes it cost a pretty penny but will say I did enjoy the car for the whole 6 yrs I had it. Best money spent! So when I got my 992; I spec'd it with PSE and then also got an Akrapovic exhaust from one of the vendors on the RL and it does indeed take the PSE which is already nice to another level. Was much cheaper that way then sourcing it from non-PSE also due to the fact that you need to swap out some additional valance trim pieces when you convert the tips also. BTW you can source an Akraprovic for cheaper than $5k if you work it!
I have PSE and I have been considering Akrapovic for awhile. The issue is, who do I trust to install the parts in Virginia. I can ask Porsche Arlington or Silverspring, but the labor is going to be a kick in the nuts.
Most of the dealers I've had will do the work...just expect to pay shop labor at Porsche rates. Try one of the VA independent Porsche shops and you'll likely save a bit! Try Autobahn, Innersport, German Auto Works.

Quick Reply: Anyone regret not getting PSE??