Sponsored by:

Anyone regret not getting PSE??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 11:41 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,381 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Originally Posted by GoCards67
I found a car on a dealer lot with a great build that I can get immediately...but no Porsche Sports Exhaust. I really want PSE. Has anyone had the dealer add it? And for those without PSE, does not having it matter that much?
I personally wouldn’t spec without it. If you don’t want to add an aftermarket exhaust & prefer to keep your car stock (like yours truly), then PSE is worth it.

It adds proper sound in the cabin & provides a deeper/throaty exhaust note that most prefer in a 911.

I suggest test driving & listening to both PSE & non-PSE cars to appreciate the difference back-to-back.

Imo, any option that adds to the 911 driving experience is worth it.

That said, if you love the spec & it is missing PSE. It wouldn’t be a deal breaker. You can always go aftermarket.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 11:53 AM
ronflax
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

It seems you're correct.. you can either select Sport Tailpipes (Silver or Black) OR PSE, but not both.. I think I would have had an personal debate on this choice. I really like the look of the dual exhaust tips though and I don't think I need more noise at lower revs. Wonder why you cannot choose both as it seems like you would get that on the Turbos which come with dual tips.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:09 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ronflax
It seems you're correct.. you can either select Sport Tailpipes (Silver or Black) OR PSE, but not both.. I think I would have had an personal debate on this choice. I really like the look of the dual exhaust tips though and I don't think I need more noise at lower revs. Wonder why you cannot choose both as it seems like you would get that on the Turbos which come with dual tips.
This is what it came down to for me. I really preferred the look of the quad pipes (especially the brushed aluminum ones on the stock C2S) over the oval ones of the PSE, I did not want any more lower rev noise (still has a great sound when you hammer it), and there was no performance difference. No regrets.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:20 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,155 Likes on 1,469 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanqueray86
So you are saying that a non-PSE equipped car can upgrade to Akrapovic and the Akrapovic valves will open at the RPM that the OEM actuators are designed to open the valves on a non-PSE 992?
Yes,

There is nothing magic about PSE, in fact if anything their exhaust is more constrained as it has to stay within certain noise thresholds as they are the car manufacturer. Aftermarket suppliers have no such constraints so ultimately you will get much nicer tone from them. Having said that, its important to buy an aftermarket properly-designed exhaust and stay away from those center muffler delete X-Pipes which create boom and resonance. Years ago I posted a diagram how it all works - can't seem to find that diagram but it easily explained it visually.

1) The two valves that open on the exhaust are controlled by the car's DME or "brain". They typically open up at a certain rpm or vacuum level to give you more sound and the DME sends a signal to the valves via vacuum hose, and they stay open as long as those parameters are met. This happens on all the valved exhausts.

2) The PSE button in the car's cockpit is simply an override switch that tells the DME to open them on command and not wait for the parameters in # 1, so you can get that sound at idle or low speeds. This PSE button is a subset of the vehicle's air conditioning system wiring loop, so you can't simply plug it in if your car doesn't have it, it has to be programmed by the Porsche dealer to activate it and they will charge an hour of shop time to do that, plus you have to buy the switch itself. Then, it will operate any aftermarket exhaust the same way. The aftermarket pipe makers know this and offer you a remote control or even phone app to do the same thing.

I bought my 992S off the showroom floor and it had PSE as equipped, but my Tubi exhaust I had on my 991S was much, much nicer. Tha Akrapovic is one of the classiest pipes on the market, but has a big-nut price tag.- $ 5K or so. It's lighter than stock, has much better tone (with no boom or resonance) and I think worth it if you are going to keep your car 5 or more years. Again, suggest you avoid the cheaper X-Pipes, I have never liked them, too loud and too boomy.

Last edited by drcollie; 01-12-2021 at 12:23 PM.
C2heritage (09-16-2022)
Old 01-12-2021, 12:30 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

No, have an S though so quad pipes as standard. Not interested in waking the neighbourhood, got enough of that around where I live already.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:35 PM
BlitzedTT
Racer

Received 157 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ronflax
I don't know why - I don't believe there is a technical/fitment reason.

Porsche would have gotten a few more bucks out of me if they had let me select the Dual Sport Tailpipes with my build.
I did ask my SA about this, and he seemed to indicate that it was not possible either... but he also didn't seem super knowledgeable about this and I am not pushing the issue.

Back on topic, I dislike the oval pipes so much that I originally spec'ed my C2S without PSE.... but after having PSE on my Cayman and watching countless you tube videos, I decided to go ahead and opt for the PSE.
At the time, I also thought that in order to properly fit an aftermarket exhaust, you needed to have started with PSE.
However, I have found a few threads that have indicated that while you might not have the Exhaust button/switch, that the PCM can be programmed so that a non-PSE car can still actuate the valves on an aftermarket exhaust if you can find a dealer to do the programming.

I also found that to fit an dual-aftermarket option would simply mean buying the tips and changing out the valence/diffusor back to the non-PSE version. This is what I'm planning to do.

Last edited by BlitzedTT; 01-12-2021 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:01 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

You will regret it if you don't get it.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:07 PM
kartadmin
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

TIL. this forum is a goldmine of information.

Originally Posted by ohniner
Having had it and not on different 911s not much difference to me. I opted not to get pse on my incoming 992 for two reasons.
1. I dislike artificial exhaust noises. Porsche system is both mechanical and software induced. The system injects fuel into the exhaust stream to create those pops and bangs...it’s artificial.
2. all to often I felt embarrassed by those noises in certain environments.

p.s. In sport + porsche turns all that off so the engine can perform at its best, it’s not real.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:23 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

I got it as part of the Sports Package but a diaphragm is what you call a speaker cone when you don’t want to call it a speaker cone but a speaker cone is a diaphragm.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:41 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

I would not have been happy without PSE

Having said that, I still want better sound. A bit louder and throatier, but not too much, as well as turbo spool sound. You don't hear the turbos AT ALL just with PSE.

As a few people here know I've been weighing Akrapovic slip on race line, versus keeping PSE and getting Sports cats. Being that money doesn't grow on trees, I'm trying to get the best bang for $3500 and don't want to buy both (sports cats AND a new catback exhaust)

Sports cats + PSE seems like the best and most cost-effective combo..............but damn, it's still a pricey upgrade!
Old 01-12-2021, 02:45 PM
preems
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

Must have IMO
Old 01-12-2021, 03:54 PM
DrewTJ50
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 54 Posts

I did not have PSE on my 991.1 and never missed it. But I recently test drove a 992 without PSE and it was definitely lacking. Maybe because of the turbo vs NA motor? In any case, I have spec'ed it in my 992 build.
smiles11 (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 06:29 PM
Skarz
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

I have no desire for PSE. Probably my age (60). Don't need noise if there is not performance associated with it, especially at $3k. I had the BMW version (M3) and didn't care for it and I have many neighbors that seem to delight in making as much noise through the subdivision as possible. 50 year olds hitting the "I'm 25 years old noise button". I put that money towards PCCB's! To each their own, which is what I do like about Porsche.
The following 2 users liked this post by Skarz:
aggie57 (01-12-2021), ohniner (01-13-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 08:24 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
I would not have been happy without PSE

Having said that, I still want better sound. A bit louder and throatier, but not too much, as well as turbo spool sound. You don't hear the turbos AT ALL just with PSE.

As a few people here know I've been weighing Akrapovic slip on race line, versus keeping PSE and getting Sports cats. Being that money doesn't grow on trees, I'm trying to get the best bang for $3500 and don't want to buy both (sports cats AND a new catback exhaust)

Sports cats + PSE seems like the best and most cost-effective combo..............but damn, it's still a pricey upgrade!
PSE on my car at 13,000 km is a LOT louder (with more turbo spooling/hissing) than it was when new. I think sport cats and BMC filters on a car with PSE would ratchet up the sound levels pretty significantly
Old 01-12-2021, 08:54 PM
Tanqueray86
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Tha Akrapovic is one of the classiest pipes on the market, but has a big-nut price tag.- $ 5K or so. It's lighter than stock, has much better tone (with no boom or resonance) and I think worth it if you are going to keep your car 5 or more years. Again, suggest you avoid the cheaper X-Pipes, I have never liked them, too loud and too boomy.
I have PSE and I have been considering Akrapovic for awhile. The issue is, who do I trust to install the parts in Virginia. I can ask Porsche Arlington or Silverspring, but the labor is going to be a kick in the nuts.
cg760 (01-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Anyone regret not getting PSE??