Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone regret not getting PSE??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 10:54 PM
waxman818
6th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Recently upgraded my non PSE 992C2S to a PSE purchased from Getporscheparts.com. The unit had a lot of options except the PSE and it was purchased off the lot. Reason I went with this option was because I really don’t mind the slight change in sound and I like the oval tips. Akra/Tubi/Capristo etc. is way too loud for me and of course pricier😬
Problem now is my local dealer won’t program the Sport Exhaust in the PCM since I didnt buy the unit from them (long story). I can buy a PiWis3 and do it myself but was told it requires a PPN to log in?? Can someone chime in on this ?

Old 01-17-2021, 04:37 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 821 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by GoCards67
so any of the electrical/vacuum stuff is already there? I can do the mechanical stuff. Those items were what i was worried about. I may be able to get the coding added into the deal. I dont have to have the button correct? You can activate with the screen or can I assigned to one of the diamond buttons?
TY
Yes there is no vacuum system with this model as the previous 991.1. Here's the link for the installation instructions and if you have a lift and technical know how then yeah give it a shot as a DITY. You will still need to code it via the dealer's PWITS to activate the manual valve control and give you the PSE button on the PCM. Not sure what models had the PSE button at production or not. My car had PSE so it has the button on the dash...some have added it (not sure of part #) others have used the diamond/option button. But yes coding is needed..that is the rub some dealers have been accommodating while others not so for whatever reasons...may require a road trip to an accommodating dealer to do so (code) so it is something I would talk to their service dept mgr prior just so you know where you stand with things.

https://d1sfhav1wboke3.cloudfront.ne...b1ee58d46e.pdf
Originally Posted by malba2366
What are your thoughts on PSE vs the Akra? Did you do the cats as well?
Did NOT do the cats. Need programing for that/tune and the car is too new...want to keep my warranty also on the new engine. If I was like 2-3yrs into the car or over 20k maybe Cats would be a doer but not now. As for Akra vs PSE; I liked PSE and its a must IMHO on a Carrera if you want better sound especially now with the turbo cars. I had one on my 991.1 Carrera S (NA engine) so am familiar with them and IMHO it is the best (top 3 maybe) out there for these cars. Yes it does cost some coin...more than others but then again guys this is a $115k plus car right so what is it worth to get the sound right you know? Some guys spend $4k on leather and deviated stitching or 18 way seats [that does nothing but sit there...yes the look good but IMHO its a car not a piece of furniture so the need for super duper leather never understood] or they spend the same on Porsche new laser headlights that you cannot use yet in the US legall. $8k on PCCB but never track the car or a ton of other options to include OEM wheels and/or aftermarket ones. They spend $2k-3k on PFF and ceramic coatings and such SO IMHO I think the cost to get the exhaust right fo you as owner is minimal in comparison!

My car with PSE

My car with Akrapovic
**also note guys the 992's have rev limiter when in parking that do not allow you to rev past 3k I am told so that does affect some of the sounds clips you guys hear and listen to. On the road though and in person both PSE and Akrapovic and a few others (Amytrix) Ive heard are sweet!

Originally Posted by waxman818
Recently upgraded my non PSE 992C2S to a PSE purchased from Getporscheparts.com. The unit had a lot of options except the PSE and it was purchased off the lot. Reason I went with this option was because I really don’t mind the slight change in sound and I like the oval tips. Akra/Tubi/Capristo etc. is way too loud for me and of course pricier😬
Problem now is my local dealer won’t program the Sport Exhaust in the PCM since I didnt buy the unit from them (long story). I can buy a PiWis3 and do it myself but was told it requires a PPN to log in?? Can someone chime in on this ?

You can talk to the dealer service mgr and ask nicely especially if you will be doing all of your servicing there. Work that relationship angle with them...buy a service plan maybe and ask them to code the car for a goodwill effort. I mean its 1 hr and I think there is even a link on the RL that if you search shows how easy it is. Other option...find a dealer who will and take a road trip if necessary to get it done. Its your car man so they should be able to add that since its a Porsche product pretty easy IF they want to. Good luck!

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 01-17-2021 at 04:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mdrobc1213:
cg760 (01-17-2021), waxman818 (01-21-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 08:17 AM
GoCards67
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Yes there is no vacuum system with this model as the previous 991.1. Here's the link for the installation instructions and if you have a lift and technical know how then yeah give it a shot as a DITY. You will still need to code it via the dealer's PWITS to activate the manual valve control and give you the PSE button on the PCM. Not sure what models had the PSE button at production or not. My car had PSE so it has the button on the dash...some have added it (not sure of part #) others have used the diamond/option button. But yes coding is needed..that is the rub some dealers have been accommodating while others not so for whatever reasons...may require a road trip to an accommodating dealer to do so (code) so it is something I would talk to their service dept mgr prior just so you know where you stand with things.

https://d1sfhav1wboke3.cloudfront.ne...b1ee58d46e.pdf

Did NOT do the cats. Need programing for that/tune and the car is too new...want to keep my warranty also on the new engine. If I was like 2-3yrs into the car or over 20k maybe Cats would be a doer but not now. As for Akra vs PSE; I liked PSE and its a must IMHO on a Carrera if you want better sound especially now with the turbo cars. I had one on my 991.1 Carrera S (NA engine) so am familiar with them and IMHO it is the best (top 3 maybe) out there for these cars. Yes it does cost some coin...more than others but then again guys this is a $115k plus car right so what is it worth to get the sound right you know? Some guys spend $4k on leather and deviated stitching or 18 way seats [that does nothing but sit there...yes the look good but IMHO its a car not a piece of furniture so the need for super duper leather never understood] or they spend the same on Porsche new laser headlights that you cannot use yet in the US legall. $8k on PCCB but never track the car or a ton of other options to include OEM wheels and/or aftermarket ones. They spend $2k-3k on PFF and ceramic coatings and such SO IMHO I think the cost to get the exhaust right fo you as owner is minimal in comparison!

My car with PSE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvGNB7QVmlA

My car with Akrapovic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYHGPNb8ANs**also note guys the 992's have rev limiter when in parking that do not allow you to rev past 3k I am told so that does affect some of the sounds clips you guys hear and listen to. On the road though and in person both PSE and Akrapovic and a few others (Amytrix) Ive heard are sweet!

You can talk to the dealer service mgr and ask nicely especially if you will be doing all of your servicing there. Work that relationship angle with them...buy a service plan maybe and ask them to code the car for a goodwill effort. I mean its 1 hr and I think there is even a link on the RL that if you search shows how easy it is. Other option...find a dealer who will and take a road trip if necessary to get it done. Its your car man so they should be able to add that since its a Porsche product pretty easy IF they want to. Good luck!
Well I have not purchased the car yet and I can make coding it contingent on getting the deal done. Thanks for all the insight!
Old 01-17-2021, 09:58 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

^ Several people here have had sport cats installed and no “recoding” of anything or tuning was needed. I don’t know where people got the idea that sport cats affect your warranty.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:01 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,135 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ Several people here have had sport cats installed and no “recoding” of anything or tuning was needed. I don’t know where people got the idea that sport cats affect your warranty.
Just because they work doesn’t mean that Porsche won’t void the warranty if something goes wrong.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:26 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ I’m pretty sure that this topic has been discussed to death. But I’ve spoken to a local Porsche dealer Service Rep and they’ve held that the warranty is valid as long as an aftermarket exhaust component was not found to be the cause of whatever problem is under warranty consideration

The following users liked this post:
malba2366 (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 12:56 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 708 Likes on 494 Posts

This car has the quad sport pipes option which i yjink looks great would love to be able to keep that since im paying for it. I wonder if Akrapovik will make any replacement that will work with the quads. I need to reach out to them direcly. I appreciate everyones feedback!!
This seems overly complicated. If you really like loud stuff, I'd just look for another car. Personally, I get enjoyment from how the car drives, could care less about how much noise it can be configured (or modified) to make. If I could find a way to shut off the enhanced sounds from the sound system I'd do that as well.

I'll never forget my first test drive of a Boxster years ago. The mechanical sounds coming out of that engine compartment including that cool "whine" as the engine wound up highlighted the major Porsche crams into that tight space. Same with a 911. Why hide all that with a drone and pops and farts?? To each his own, I guess.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,682 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Doing something aggressive like cats or straight piping your 911, while it might make the car louder and give a bit of extra oomph, really takes away from the character of the car.

#StayClassy
detansinn (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 02:12 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ By that logic, every after market mod takes away from a car’s “character”

In the end, the car belongs to us after we buy it and we tailor it to fit our desires
Old 01-17-2021, 02:15 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,682 Likes on 5,112 Posts

^ By that logic, every after market mod takes away from a car’s “character”

In the end, the car belongs to us after we buy it and we tailor it to fit our desires
There are mods that enhance (a center muffler delete) or protect (PPF) but sports cats simply make a 911 no longer sound like a 911.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:36 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

People of course are free to do anything they like to their 992s, however all of the aftermarket exhaust modifications I've heard online here and elsewhere (admittedly none in person) don't sound any better than PSE to my ears, just different. PSE to me offers a nice bump in rumble and throatiness over a non-PSE car, without crossing over into "obnoxious" territory.
The following 2 users liked this post by gcurnew:
smiles11 (01-17-2021), Tupper (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 03:10 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
There are mods that enhance (a center muffler delete) or protect (PPF) but sports cats simply make a 911 no longer sound like a 911.
I don’t know, I’ve heard videos and from many here that the sports cats on the 992 don’t really alter the sound. They just make it slightly louder and allow you to hear the turbos spooling. That doesn’t sound like some sort of dramatic sound-transformative change.

I imagine that a complete exhaust replacement or something dramatic like x-pipes or muffler delete would have a much greater impact than simply swapping for sports cats.

Anyhow, I’ll be getting mine soon so I will see for myself
Old 01-17-2021, 03:15 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 753 Likes on 426 Posts

^ I’m pretty sure that this topic has been discussed to death. But I’ve spoken to a local Porsche dealer Service Rep and they’ve held that the warranty is valid as long as an aftermarket exhaust component was not found to be the cause of whatever problem is under warranty consideration

You are safe if you keep the factory cats, as that is the most restrictive part of the system and with a cat back you are not really creating freer flow through the exhaust system and more power - it is just for sound. They could deny you warranty claims for interior rattles and such by saying the additional vibrations from the exhaust are responsible. If you change the cats or anything upstream of the cats then you could have warranty issues should there be a catastrophic engine/transmission failure.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:51 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 437 Posts

My dealer quoted me $5500 to add PSE to a car on their lot. What other options do I have to get a better sound? Looks like all the systems I have seen replace the PCM that's already installed ie Akrapovik. Soul and Fabspeed have nothing yet. Any thoughts? I can buy PSE from Suncoast and get coded. I just don't want to make a mistake and not have options.
Were working on it as we speak! Big things coming in the next couple weeks.

Cant wait to share it with you all.

GoCards67 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 02:30 PM
getPorscheSilverSpringParts
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by waxman818

Thanks again! Lovin' the oval tips as well!!

Shop & SAVE on Genuine OEM Porsche Parts, Accessories & Driver's Selection!
Contact Us · Shop Audi & BMW Parts too!

Quick Reply: Anyone regret not getting PSE??