Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster display blacked out completely During Driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 12:26 AM
mind
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

people who had issues with their driver side instrument cluster displays, did your sport chrono gauge also start winding by itself? Mine was also winding by itself. I mentioned that to the North York Porsche in Toronto also asked for an update to see if they already ordered the clusters. Haven't got back to me yet
Old 01-10-2022, 02:36 PM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 116 Posts

Had this happen 2 times to me. Dealership replaced the PCM. Failed again 2 more times. Sold car as there were other gremlins I got tired of. Car was an early build (Market Intro vehicle).
Old 01-11-2022, 10:50 PM
mind
Intermediate

any updates on people experiencing issues with drivers side instrument clusters? My car has been in the service waiting for parts since 23rd of December. Still nothing. I am going to ask for store credit since its been sitting there almost a month now. Brand new vehicle barely 200km on it.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:34 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

This is just to establish a data point, but I’m wondering (long shot) if this could in some convoluted way be related to the lithium battery that is only in the AWD cars. Do any of you experiencing this problem have RWD cars with the non-lithium battery?

Actualy, I think the RAS cars require the lithium battery too, so I’ll revise my question:

Has anyone with a non-lithium (AGM) battery experienced this problem?

Last edited by Denny Swift; 01-12-2022 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:27 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,299 Likes on 1,366 Posts

LiFePO4 batteries are only on cars equipped with RAS. C4s without RAS have AGM batteries.

siberian
Old 01-12-2022, 12:43 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
LiFePO4 batteries are only on cars equipped with RAS. C4s without RAS have AGM batteries.

siberian
That's true for the US, Canada, Europe and other cold climate markets come with lithium. Funny how Porsche things that the US is not cold enough, and saves $ with this inadequate battery for the amount of electronics that can't be shutoff.

Back to the OP, I had those issues with the dashboard going dark and restarting. My sad experience with the local dealer mandates an error on PIWIS for them to do anything. In regards to the lithium hypothesis, I drive a C4S, for now.

Last edited by John Mclane; 01-12-2022 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:59 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

48v systems are sadly overdue... but when we see how long it's taken to implement IPv6...

siberian
Old 01-12-2022, 01:00 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

Does getting a tune do anything to drain the battery?

I know, it's a long shot, but just wondering....
Old 01-12-2022, 01:02 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Doubt it IMHO. I suspect the PCM drains about 40% of electric consumption.

siberian
Old 01-14-2022, 07:10 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

It's the tip of the iceberg. The 3 or 4 is what you see, you have no idea what's below "the waterline". The fact of failure after a couple of days points to a manufacturing issue, something that should have been caught if they ever did an MTBF. It's just a lot of things that have slipped by lately or that were incorporated without being given careful consideration. I can list examples, but they've been outlined countless times with folks just "well if it was designed by... then it's fine, after all look at what so and so has designed". We thus justify by pointing to where other manufacturers have failed, to mitigate rather than ask and demand change. You remember when Jeep came out with square headlights or the "Classic Coke" stupidity? Well the reinstating the Homelink button would be along those lines as well as. You made a design error, correct it.

As to new tech, and digital gauges, IMHO, is a clear example of when it's gone too far, not implemented or designed correctly (2 of the 5 gauges you can't even see when in normal driving position). The arrogance of the industry as a whole only has their attention when the courts get involved. Dieselgate? Takata? Ford tires in the early 90s?

Lucky so far even though I do have a safety recall for seat belt and the damn rattle on my 2021 C4S

Merry Xmas everyone

siberian
Something tells me supply chain issue caused by all the disruptions over past 12-15 mos and manufacturers trying to keep production going. Had no issues at all with gauges in all my previous porsche 911s and so far no issues in mine other than I think a reboot once of my PCM when using CarPlay. However I have heard stories of various manufacturers having issues with Q&A of some parts and failures with various models which previously were solid. As much as Porsche designs and at times over designs these things..my money is on a subcontractor or vendor batch making something in the cluster.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:06 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Welcome back Sir, TDYing someplace near me?

As to your thoughts, fully agree but Porsche owns the problem whether it's them or a sub the issues are there and as I mentioned should have been caught or thought about more carefully before implementing.

siberian
Old 01-14-2022, 06:39 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Welcome back Sir, TDYing someplace near me?

As to your thoughts, fully agree but Porsche owns the problem whether it's them or a sub the issues are there and as I mentioned should have been caught or thought about more carefully before implementing.

siberian
Nope...I don't do cold well so trying to stay away from AK bases as much as possible. Have an EV on the way but otherwise....next step likely is PCS to civilian status when the time comes!

Yep Porsche owns the issue of course as I can see it but I think during the current parts/supply shortages many of the prior checks and balances as we call them may not be what they previously were. Wouldn't be the first time to see it occur. Major concern of those who have had cars delivered during the height of the pandemic from 992s across the brand.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:35 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well give a holler if they ignore your preference ( a rare occurrence in the military).

While maybe tolerated on a Subaru at $38k, not so agreeable at $160k whatever the excuse is. Alas the lack of actual problem ownership is dispalling (when you're both appalled and dismayed by something; saves typing two words)

siberian
Old 01-16-2022, 04:40 PM
mind
Intermediate

dealership claims that my part is stuck at the toronto customs for the past 2 weeks... They have my car since december 23rd. Barely 200km on it. Shouldn't take 24-25 days to get a simple instrument dials and have it installed...
Old 01-28-2022, 10:28 AM
leburpor
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mind
any updates on people experiencing issues with drivers side instrument clusters? My car has been in the service waiting for parts since 23rd of December. Still nothing. I am going to ask for store credit since its been sitting there almost a month now. Brand new vehicle barely 200km on it.
Was told end of Jan but I didn't think they had any idea when they were going to get the replacement part. It's now end of Jan... Still no part 🙄 very unhappy but thankfully my other toy arrived last week to distract me from this.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster display blacked out completely During Driving