Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 02:02 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,002 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartod
I’m interested in your input on adding the factory aerokit (rear wing) to my build when it arrives (I found a hard to get factory 992 wing). I really wanted my T to have the rear wing instead of the spoiler. I’d have to have it painted and professionally installed. I’ve already got the exclusive design front and rear so it would match right up. Here is my car without it and I could always reverse it. Thoughts on adding a factory rear wing to the T ????
Originally Posted by Macboy
You have to understand that there are more changes with the aero kit to the body of your car. Like the engine compartment and (brake) lights.
@Macboy is correct. And to my recollection, the front splitter is either slightly different or positioned differently -- I remember on the configurator that the Aerokit front splitter looked lower and was extended further than the front splitter with the SportDesign Package. You can't just add a wing and expect the aerodynamics to be okay, there will be other necessary adjustments. Now, for boulevard cruising, casual country driving, etc., it won't make a difference. So it just depends what you want out of it and what type of driving you will be doing. If it's just for the look and you're not going to let the car out much, you'll be fine.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dream in PTS:
Cartod (06-02-2023), HerrDr (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 02:07 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,002 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by HerrDr
"The Carrera T is a superior model to just about everything else in the range"
Take that to Europe with you!
Prost!
The following 3 users liked this post by Dream in PTS:
Cartod (06-02-2023), HerrDr (06-02-2023), toph4242 (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 02:43 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,720 Posts

I'll drop this here:

The following 2 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
dreamin11 (06-03-2023), Roadworrier (06-03-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 02:45 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I think when they renamed this thread, it broke the "subscribed" links. Is there a way to blast out a message to everyone about that so they can resubscribe if they wish?
Old 06-02-2023, 02:47 PM
HerrDr
Pro

Received 1,075 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I think when they renamed this thread, it broke the "subscribed" links. Is there a way to blast out a message to everyone about that so they can resubscribe if they wish?
Hmmm. Mine remained subscribed. Anyone else get pushed out?
Old 06-02-2023, 02:49 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 1,776 Posts

That video inspired me to write this:

Originally Posted by Wilder
To each their own but I always laugh at comments like "it's a parts bin special" or my favorite from a moron on this forum "it's a poor man's GTS".

What these people don't understand is that the T is not really a T. The original T was the replacement for the 912. It was the budget 911, stripped down and with a less powerful engine than the 911L, which was the equivalent of the current base at the time. What the current T is, is a Carrera Clubsport. Unfortunately, Porsche couldn't call it a Clubsport because when they wanted to reintroduce the model, BMW owned the rights to use it and denied Porsche use of the name. For anyone interested, go look up the specs for the 1897 Carrera Clubsport and you will find that the current T follows the exact same recipe, right down to unimportant things like the pinstriped seats. And what is the Carrera Clubsport? In the early 80's, Porsche had planned to replace the 911 with front engined cars like the 928 and the 944 (can you imagine?!?!). There was a change in leadership before this happened and the 911 stayed. Since Porsche hadn't put out an RS since 73, and with plans to introduce the 964 already in place, they decided to reintroduce the RS as a 964 variant and introduced the Carrera Clubsport in the meantime as an end of series model. The Carrera Clubsport is basically an RS with a Carrera engine. Things are different today and our beloved T doesn't have the double wishbone suspension or the the 6 speed manual transmission of the GT3 (equivalent of old RS) but it does have pretty much everything else. Whereas the old RS is more of a track car that can be street driven, the Clubsport is more of a street car that can be tracked. All 911 are track friendly but the Clubsport more so with it's lighter weight, better suspension bits, rear diff, and Porsche fairy dust that made the engine a bit more powerful and lively (this was never admitted by Porsche for the Carrera Clubsport or the current T, but it's now widely known about the Clubsport and there was a leak shared on this forum that the T also has some extra oomph above 5k. So, as per Porsche marketing, the T is the Carrera for purists and it's more engaging. Well, isn't that at the core of the brand? That would mean, it is indeed the most purebred and therefore, best Carrera 911. The older, more experienced car journalists get this. Not everybody does, and that makes it even better.
The following 9 users liked this post by Wilder:
AdamIsAdam (06-02-2023), Cartod (06-02-2023), Ethos_of_the_T (06-02-2023), HerrDr (06-02-2023), RatherJaded (06-11-2023), ToastyTamago (06-14-2023), toph4242 (06-02-2023), Uhu (06-02-2023), Ørjan (06-02-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-02-2023, 03:21 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Received 2,010 Likes on 676 Posts

Yep to all of that. ^^^
I never wanted a GTS because I have no use for a hard track car with that much unusable horsepower. The T is the only reason I own a non air cooled Carerra.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cartod:
HerrDr (06-02-2023), Wilder (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 03:33 PM
Barkat03
Burning Brakes

Received 1,754 Likes on 705 Posts

https://www.thedrive.com/news/porsch...ectric-boxster

Not a 911 but could be interesting!?
A nice birthday present for the wife / partner?

Last edited by Barkat03; 06-02-2023 at 03:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Pivot (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 04:46 PM
ECNJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2,279 Likes on 800 Posts

Didn’t buy T as a daily driver. But the T + roads in my backyard causing me to drive it everyday + every night.

The following 11 users liked this post by ECNJ:
adm63 (06-02-2023), AMALFI RACING (06-04-2023), Cartod (06-02-2023), Ethos_of_the_T (06-02-2023), Graeme's T (06-02-2023), HerrDr (06-02-2023), lfish (06-02-2023), RatherJaded (06-11-2023), tourenwagen (06-02-2023), Wilder (06-02-2023), Ørjan (06-03-2023) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-02-2023, 04:49 PM
adm63
Pro

Received 897 Likes on 325 Posts

Just got back from a drive to enjoy the warm weather before it thunderstorms this afternoon. Some random questions for the rest of you that come to mind as I drive the car more.

What is the behavior of the rear spoiler? I cant see it from the driver seat when I tried to extend it manually in the PCM while parked, so I don't know what it is doing. I know it is supposed to adjust based on speed, but I have mostly kept the car at or below 50mph as I drive around town, only been on the highway once on my drive home from picking it up.

Also, I noticed from my security cameras outside my garage that sometimes the whole rear light bar is illuminated when I am on the brakes, and other times there is an unlit area in the middle? My only guess is this is based on if the automatic headlights are on, but again not sure since I cant see from the drivers seat.

Finally, this will probably only apply to those with 18 ways which I don't think many others optioned, but my optimal seating position leaves me no room to swing my legs in and out of the car. I turned on the comfort entry feature which is supposed to push the seat back when the car is switched off. However, it only moves the seat back a slight amount, not enough to make a big difference. I can push it further back on my own but then I have to restore my preferred seating position from the memory it does not revert back on its own next time the car is on. Any way to get the seat to go back further automatically with the comfort entry feature? I also noticed the seats don't move forward when you fold the back to get access to the rear, not a big deal since I dont have rear seats but same situation where it seems like you either have to push the seat forward yourself if you want more room to get stuff in the back or set one of the memory settings to full forward and another to full back to make getting out easier.

Another random observation. I keep the car unlocked in my garage, and I dont have the proximity detection feature on so only way to pop out the door handles is to use the key or stick my hand under the handle and pull. I prefer it this way since I dont like the handles popping out on their own when near the car. When they pop out from the key or when I pull on them the car makes some audible clicks and a chime coming from the rear engine area. Is this normal behavior? Any idea what these are?
The following 2 users liked this post by adm63:
dreamin11 (06-03-2023), HerrDr (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 05:07 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I'll take a stab at some of your questions...

Originally Posted by adm63
What is the behavior of the rear spoiler? I cant see it from the driver seat when I tried to extend it manually in the PCM while parked, so I don't know what it is doing. I know it is supposed to adjust based on speed, but I have mostly kept the car at or below 50mph as I drive around town, only been on the highway once on my drive home from picking it up.
Your rear spoiler must be broken. Mine is up at all times and not only visible in the rear view mirror, but blocks about my entire field of view! Oh wait, you don't have a WING! LOL.
(Sorry, just had to joke about this one.)

Also, I noticed from my security cameras outside my garage that sometimes the whole rear light bar is illuminated when I am on the brakes, and other times there is an unlit area in the middle? My only guess is this is based on if the automatic headlights are on, but again not sure since I cant see from the drivers seat.
This one I can help with because a friend and I were checking this out while driving both of our 992's and talking on the phone. The light bar lights up all the way across with parking lights, but brake lights leave that small gap in the middle. Directly under that gap, is a bright rear fog light. I agree, it should light up all the way across all the time and just be brighter when on the brakes.

Another random observation. I keep the car unlocked in my garage, and I dont have the proximity detection feature on so only way to pop out the door handles is to use the key or stick my hand under the handle and pull. I prefer it this way since I dont like the handles popping out on their own when near the car. When they pop out from the key or when I pull on them the car makes some audible clicks and a chime coming from the rear engine area. Is this normal behavior? Any idea what these are?
Interesting that you don't use the proximity sensors at all. I agree, that I hate the entire doorhandle setup, but I put the sensor on extended range because I hate walking up to the car and having the handles ignore me! I'm still messing with my settings, but if this pisses me off also, I may go old-school and use the fob all the time.

Another issue with the door handles is that I don't want to scratch the paint with my fingernails by clawing at the retracted handles. I have to go check my PPF to make sure it's in the cups so I can relax about that issue.

As for the noises, yes, normal. On my 718, even opening the glove box sets off a symphony of relays and other noises as the car gets ready to spring to life. Seems excessive to me. I'd rather that all happen as I turn the key, even if there was a delay in that process.
The following 2 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
adm63 (06-02-2023), HerrDr (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 05:10 PM
Uhu
Racer

Received 1,100 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
That video inspired me to write this:
I own the Clubsport from BMW and the T. Guess whIch one is my first choice when it comes to go for a drive?
Despite being down 100 hp, the T is more engaging and more fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by Uhu:
HerrDr (06-02-2023), Wilder (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 05:11 PM
adm63
Pro

Received 897 Likes on 325 Posts

Yeah I mostly went through the settings when I got the car and set it how I thought I would like it, but I will probably experiment with it more as I continue to drive it more. My fiance's tesla S has pop out door handles and they pop out any time I walk near the car so for now I want less door handles popping out at me, not more! LOL

thanks for the tips, also enjoyed your wing joke!
The following 2 users liked this post by adm63:
AdamIsAdam (06-02-2023), HerrDr (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 05:18 PM
ECNJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2,279 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Macboy
Of course. I also hate multiple threads sometimes. Just share your results when adding the sub, I am more than happy to share it there.
Cool. I hope to get mine installed soon. I’ll post a 10-pager here on my audio upgrade when done. However, u have to promise me to bail me out when the RList cops arrest me for it. Wait, never mind. I ain’t concerned. RList po-po can never catch me in my E63. Dood. Tricks are for kids silly wabbit.

BTW, as far as I’m concerned. Anyone can post anything they feel like. I just ignore stuff I think is senseless, etc. Not sure y that’s so difficult for some. If u don’t like me, u can skip everything I post. Wouldn’t bother me a bit. Ha, I’ll just chat with myself here if necessary. Ain’t no thang! Felt I needed to back up my UK/EU fellas a bit Word to ur *****!

Last edited by ECNJ; 06-02-2023 at 05:35 PM.
Graeme's T (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 05:29 PM
Uhu
Racer

Received 1,100 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Graeme's T
Amazing. Enjoy! Weather in Europe has been pretty awful recently but forecast looks much better next week.
Ehm, maybe in your neck of woods.
Germany has been enjoying a rare an uncharacteristic clear sky and warm and shinny weather for two weeks now and it will be for another 10 days, at least.
HerrDr (06-02-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club