Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 07:12 PM
Returnofthemac
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know it’s a long shot but does anyone have any info on an available build spot in the USA. Only ones I’ve found available to build or on the way are located in Texas and California and neither sell to out of state customers 🙄
Old 03-27-2023, 07:13 PM
renn.tp
Racer

Received 601 Likes on 133 Posts

Posted in a separate thread, but for my T brethren…

Requested to ride along for the PDI road test today…watched as the foreman took the car to redline (light/medium load, somewhat gradually). Said it was protocol. I am not happy, but what can I do now. Hope it’s not going to affect long term reliability.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:30 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Received 2,202 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Today is 3/27/2023. What's wrong with this picture and today's date? I'll give you a hit, WHERE'S MY CAR?!

Mine is same.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:41 PM
HerrDr
Pro

Received 1,075 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by renn.tp

Requested to ride along for the PDI road test today…watched as the foreman took the car to redline (light/medium load, somewhat gradually). Said it was protocol. I am not happy, but what can I do now. Hope it’s not going to affect long term reliability.
If it was brought to redline gradually and (more importantly!) was fully warmed up to temperature, it should be fine. That still seems very odd given the break-in guidelines provided with the manual. I wonder if it actually is protocol. If not, I would contact PCNA. You may want to confirm with them for peace of mind anyway.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:44 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,066 Likes on 1,761 Posts

When they start the engines in the factory, they also start them and gradually bring them to redline BEFORE they are fully warmed up. I saw it on one of the Porsche factory vids. They said doing this briefly to check for leaks like that doesn't hurt the longevity. And BECAUSE it's cold and not fully warmed up, the metals have not expanded so the tolerances are loose, so engines were harmed in the making of those videos. I'm not sure, but I think they are running external coolant through the engine running on the stand too.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:47 PM
renn.tp
Racer

Originally Posted by HerrDr
If it was brought to redline gradually and (more importantly!) was fully warmed up to temperature, it should be fine. That still seems very odd given the break-in guidelines provided with the manual. I wonder if it actually is protocol. If not, I would contact PCNA. You may want to confirm with them for peace of mind anyway.
I called a few other local dealerships and it certainly didn’t sound like standard protocol. The oil temp was ~140, so not fully warmed up (but not “cold” either). Needless to say I’ve been thinking about this all day - a souring experience.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:53 PM
Ryan993
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartod
Mine is same.
mine is stuck too
Old 03-27-2023, 07:55 PM
renn.tp
Racer

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
When they start the engines in the factory, they also start them and gradually bring them to redline BEFORE they are fully warmed up. I saw it on one of the Porsche factory vids. They said doing this briefly to check for leaks like that doesn't hurt the longevity. And BECAUSE it's cold and not fully warmed up, the metals have not expanded so the tolerances are loose, so engines were harmed in the making of those videos. I'm not sure, but I think they are running external coolant through the engine running on the stand too.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Makes me feel better about this - I would imagine the shop Forman has better things to do than joyride a new 992 with the owner in the passenger seat.

Separately- the exhaust sounded great. Exceeded my expectations and I’m coming from a 997.2 with a full M&M exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
Macboy (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 07:59 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 560 Likes on 211 Posts

My T started production March 20, was completed March 24 and is now released for transport (Stage 5). No GT3 wing for me lol. Kidding aside, it would suck if that is what is holding production, doesn't seem like something that hard to manufacture.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:51 PM
gargey
Instructor

Received 298 Likes on 118 Posts

I have no intention whatsoever of staying under 4k rpm for 2,000 miles. Or 20 miles.

This idea seems very much like a relic of times of much poorer engineering tolerances. No skin off Porsche’s back to recommend it. If it’s a dud that has been mis-built (not to spec, spec absolutely can handle the load day one), I’d rather know sooner rather than later.

Race cars certainly aren’t subject to it, so it doesn’t seem correlated with higher spec.

Warm up is different, and is a good idea for high revs.

If you guys want to do the break in by all means do it.

I expect those first 2,000 miles will be some of the funnest ones.
The following 3 users liked this post by gargey:
HerrDr (03-27-2023), renn.tp (03-27-2023), TEST DRyVer (03-29-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 09:37 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 416 Posts

What they do at the port is much worse. My SA was telling me about a Cayenne Turbo GT that arrived with tires, which looked like they had been through a day at the track. My RS3 arrived with 1G and 35 miles on it. I wasn't about to turn it away. At least you were there when it happened and he didn't go past redline. Like someone else said, they are tested at the factory at redline as well.
I do know how you feel though. It's the kind of thing one can lose sleep over. I would definitely let them know. If they are in the wrong and it's not protocol, you might be able to work something out of them.

Last edited by Ikone; 03-27-2023 at 09:48 PM. Reason: edit
renn.tp (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 10:10 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Received 2,202 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikone
What they do at the port is much worse. My SA was telling me about a Cayenne Turbo GT that arrived with tires, which looked like they had been through a day at the track. My RS3 arrived with 1G and 35 miles on it. I wasn't about to turn it away. At least you were there when it happened and he didn't go past redline. Like someone else said, they are tested at the factory at redline as well.
I do know how you feel though. It's the kind of thing one can lose sleep over. I would definitely let them know. If they are in the wrong and it's not protocol, you might be able to work something out of them.
How do you go past redline with a rev limiter.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:13 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 416 Posts

Oh, did he order PDK? With the manual you can definitely go over redline but not PDK.
Cartod (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 10:13 PM
HerrDr
Pro

Received 1,075 Likes on 448 Posts

Manual. Downshift when already at redline
Cartod (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 10:18 PM
derpington
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 23 Posts

Ah yes, the dreaded automotive prima nocta.

For real though, bringing your engine to redline and then engine braking is a very good way of ensuring that your rings seat properly. It will not affect long term reliability in a negative way.
The following 2 users liked this post by derpington:
Ikone (03-27-2023), renn.tp (03-27-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club