After market exhaust for novices

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 06:25 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts
Default After market exhaust for novices

Hi all, on Rennlist there looks like there are lots of people who've owned several 911's and other sports cars on here.

There are also so many brands of after market exhausts out there that it's sort of intimidating for the uninitiated.

For myself, my default is to obviously do no harm to my beautiful new car. But I am tiptoeing around the idea of enhancing the sound of my car.

Can somebody recommend which brands are best, which produce the best sound, without creating headaches for a busy, uninitiated and non-handy guy like myself? I don't want to fail emissions tests, have error messages, etc.

If anybody can share their recommendations, it would be vastly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-15-2020, 06:37 PM
Staff@WORLD
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 219 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
Hi all, on Rennlist there looks like there are lots of people who've owned several 911's and other sports cars on here.

There are also so many brands of after market exhausts out there that it's sort of intimidating for the uninitiated.

For myself, my default is to obviously do no harm to my beautiful new car. But I am tiptoeing around the idea of enhancing the sound of my car.

Can somebody recommend which brands are best, which produce the best sound, without creating headaches for a busy, uninitiated and non-handy guy like myself? I don't want to fail emissions tests, have error messages, etc.

If anybody can share their recommendations, it would be vastly appreciated. Thanks
The Akrapovic is probably the nicest one available with the best increase in sound. It's also made out of titanium so it is a lot lighter than the factory exhaust which is always an added benefit. The car will have no problem passing emissions and the warranty of the car will not be affected.

If you wanted to increase the sound further you can add a set of high flow sport cats from Soul as well.

If you have any other question feel free to reach out to me.

-Craig
- Akrapovic - BMC - TechArt - H&R - By Design - AMS - CSF - Kline - NGK - TiLugs - HRE - M Engineering - ID Injectors -
FULL SERVICE INSTALLATION FACILITY - STATE OF THE ART WIND TUNNEL DYNO - ECU TUNING
WORLD-MOTORSPORTS.COM
The following users liked this post:
drgav2005 (12-26-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 06:53 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ Thanks.

So what happens when you replace the "cat" (catalytic converter I'm guessing) versus simply replacing the exhaust.

Why do people replace cats? What does one gain from doing that versus simply replacing the exhaust?
Old 12-15-2020, 07:03 PM
smartbot
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 62 Posts

^ Thanks.

So what happens when you replace the "cat" (catalytic converter I'm guessing) versus simply replacing the exhaust.

Why do people replace cats? What does one gain from doing that versus simply replacing the exhaust?
Replacing the Cats with Sport Cats (usually 200 cell) really is the best option. If you already have Porsche Sport Exhaust it makes the most sense. It give you more sound without a lot of hassle (it's a simple swap of the cats). I went with the Fabspeed 200 cell cats: https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-992...nverters-2020/

​​​​​​​Check out my thread here:https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1184943-fabspeed-sport-cats-just-installed.html

Old 12-15-2020, 08:07 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,058 Likes on 533 Posts

^ Thanks.

I think you see more sport cat sales than exhausts sales is because most people have the PSE exhaust. And those who do not the have the PSE seem to buy the exhaust. Plus sport cats where very popular on the 991.2 generation.

Sport cats can be had for 1600 used and up to 3K new. They make your turbos much louder and where very popular on the 991.2 911 with PSE. Many of us got the 992 sport cats expecting sound increases to be like they where on the 991.2 and that was not exactly the case. They DO make your turbos induction noises much louder. And the overall exhaust is louder. But not like it was on the 991.2.

Heres what you hear with sport cats at low speeds. Mucho turbo whistle. I actually love hearing them talk to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfpN...ature=youtu.be

Old 12-15-2020, 10:21 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.

So I have the PSE.

It sounds like you guys are suggesting that I keep that and replace the cats.

So now it’s about choosing the best one. If I’m going to spend the money, I guess I’d like there to be a noticeable difference in sound. Do the various brands (Fabspeed, Aprakovic, etc) differ by much or is the ultimate sound pretty much the same for all of them?
Old 12-15-2020, 10:59 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts

This is how I understand it...(please others correct me if I'm off)

Catless Downpipes - most power gains / raw and loud engine sound / check engine light and warranty considerations / maintain stock valve function

Sport Cat Downpipes - modest power gains / increased engine sound / no check engine and maybe warranty considerations / maintain stock valve function

Muffler deletes/x-pipes/other muffler designs - minimal power gains / signature exhaust sound / no check engine and no real warranty considerations / aftermarket valve solution

Some put it all together nicely. Most, if not all do parts or will build you a solution with unique sound qualities. Reputable manufacturers have good fit, finish and durability.

It gets expensive when you go into weight saving/heat resistant/resonant metals like Titanium and Iconel but that's where the glory is had.
dashanin (01-03-2021)
Old 12-16-2020, 12:32 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,683 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Stay OEM
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Bluehighways (12-17-2020), Overdraft (12-26-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 01:35 AM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
Muffler deletes/x-pipes/other muffler designs - minimal power gains / signature exhaust sound / no check engine and no real warranty considerations / aftermarket valve solution
Some use the stock actuators which results in OEM like behavior (setting aside the sound differences).
Old 12-16-2020, 08:03 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

If you want a noticeable difference in sound I don’t feel cats alone will do that. If you already have PSE and you want more aggressive sound then a system change is best. Kline is a great exhaust with great build quality and beautiful workmanship. Many on RL have or have had Kline and can speak to its merits.. I had the Kline Iconel on a previous 4S of mine. Kline is not the only high quality after market exhaust but it is high quality, still affordable (in relative terms) and has little to no drone and is an easy remove and replace install.

Very few options are cheap and if they are they aren’t worth getting in the long run. Be wary of any exhaust that has drone as many after market do and they are migraine makers and intolerable for long periods of time to drive.

Search as there are many threads on exhausts by those happy and unhappy. In the end they cost significant $’s even the worst ones so be patience and try to hear them if possible as buying and replacing are more $’s.

Last edited by Penn4S; 12-16-2020 at 08:09 AM.
NigelPlays (01-18-2021)
Old 12-16-2020, 10:17 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

I’ve found that for the best change in sound, you also want to consider materials used as well as valve actuation. Akropovic uses titanium. Kline has inconel, Quicksilver uses stainless and titanium. Tubi uses stainless. Expect to also pay a premium for material and valve design. Sport cats, to Big Perm’s point, really just amplify turbo induction noise more so than just make the exhaust louder. I’m really hoping the Kline exhaust in the 992 sounds as good as the Kline exhaust in the 991.2.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:31 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 796 Posts

Out of all the videos I've seen the quicksilver sounds the most "NA" compared to the others. This isn't saying much as they all likely sound different in person...
Old 12-16-2020, 12:59 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Out of all the videos I've seen the quicksilver sounds the most "NA" compared to the others. This isn't saying much as they all likely sound different in person... https://youtu.be/le7ZlPHvRAs
Sounds great with the GPF and keeps dash valve control....ideal.

Quicksilver on the 991.2 turbo was vicious...TGEs brother had it I believe.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:24 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I want my car to sound like this. This. Is. Bad *** perfection:

Last edited by Tupper; 12-16-2020 at 08:34 PM.
ribold01 (01-03-2021)
Old 12-16-2020, 08:28 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts
Default 992 TURBO S ??

Information/timetable, please’

Quick Reply: After market exhaust for novices