Sponsored by:

Sport design Front Lip

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 09:31 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,797 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by aways
A lot of the discussion surrounding the need for FAL suggests that one of the reasons that it's not worth the price is that the front bumper lip is cheap and easy to replace if damaged... However, in reading through this thread it seems to me that if the car has the Aerokit front bumper, the lip is not cheap nor simple to find in matte black. From the Suncoast website I found: https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...92aerolip.html which is $725 and comes with primer only, so more when painted/wrapped. It would be another $700 if the other (lower) lip piece is necessary. I'm trying to make the final call on FAL for my T allocation (SPASM), and looking into this has tilted me towards FAL. Curious as to what others with the Aerokit think about FAL.
I suppose it depends on where you live and if you plan to lower your car beyond the 10mm SPASM drop. In two years I only scraped one time, and that was while exiting a really steep boutique hotel driveway.
The following users liked this post:
aways (03-23-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 10:05 PM
PSPorsche
Pro

Received 420 Likes on 251 Posts

It really does depend on where you live. That is one of the reasons for the varying opinions on this forum. People who say FAL is not necessarily probably do not have to negotiate sharp inclines where they live.

Consider your own drive way, the entry/exit where you work, and consider places where you visit. If the ramps are moderate, you can probably get away without FAL.

I’ve posted previously, based on replacing the unpainted (extended) sport lip, you would need to do ~3.5 replacements to equal the cost of FAL. If you expect to replace the lip at least once per year, and you plan on keeping your car more than four years, FAL pays for itself.
aways (03-23-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 11:08 PM
aways
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PSPorsche
It really does depend on where you live. That is one of the reasons for the varying opinions on this forum. People who say FAL is not necessarily probably do not have to negotiate sharp inclines where they live.

Consider your own drive way, the entry/exit where you work, and consider places where you visit. If the ramps are moderate, you can probably get away without FAL.

I’ve posted previously, based on replacing the unpainted (extended) sport lip, you would need to do ~3.5 replacements to equal the cost of FAL. If you expect to replace the lip at least once per year, and you plan on keeping your car more than four years, FAL pays for itself.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure I can live without FAL in my area by being extra careful, but there are definitely some places nearby where it would be required to avoid scraping. it seems like such a nice option (especially the GPS memory functionality) that I'm tempted to go for it. Also, I'm still a bit confused about whether there's a difference between the Sport design front lip and the Aerokit front lip (the Porsche configurator videos seem to look different). It would also be nice if the replacement lips came painted in matte black rather than grey primer. Finally, in addition to the ride height considerations (I don't plan to go any lower than the SPASM -10mm), it would also matter how much more extended the Aerokit lip will be compared with standard bumper lip.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:39 PM
PSPorsche
Pro

Also, I'm still a bit confused about whether there's a difference between the Sport design front lip and the Aerokit front lip (the Porsche configurator videos seem to look different). […] it would also matter how much more extended the Aerokit lip will be compared with standard bumper lip.
There was a thread here on RL about the differences between the various front spoilers on the 992. If I find it, I’ll share the link.

Unfortunately, the Configurator is not very clear on the differences between the spoiler lip included in the Sport PASM option and the Sport Design option, other than the Sport Design Option gives you a painted front spoiler. Both have an extended lip that reduces approach and departure angles, and this leads me to believe they are the same spoiler (just in different colors).

Old 03-23-2024, 11:48 PM
aways
Instructor

Originally Posted by PSPorsche
There was a thread here on RL about the differences between the various front spoilers on the 992. If I find it, I’ll share the link.

Unfortunately, the Configurator is not very clear on the differences between the spoiler lip included in the Sport PASM option and the Sport Design option, other than the Sport Design Option gives you a painted front spoiler. Both have an extended lip that reduces approach and departure angles, and this leads me to believe they are the same spoiler (just in different colors).

Thanks for that info. I also noticed that for the Aerokit specifically it says: "Note: Significantly reduced approach and departure angles.", which makes it seem that the Aerokit is somewhat different than the Sport design where it says "SportDesign Package reduces approach and departure angles." Maybe I'm over-interpreting the descriptions, but it seems that by including "significantly" maybe the Aerokit lip is even more extended...
Old 03-23-2024, 11:52 PM
PSPorsche
Pro

Humm… They do look a little different in the Configurator, if you zoom in.

Standard front spoiler lip (unpainted).

Sport PASM front spoiler lip (extended, unpainted).

Sport Design without Sport PASM front spoiler lip (extended, painted). (This looks the same if you add the Sport PASM option; see below).

Sport Design with Sport PASM front spoiler lip (extended, painted). (This looks the same if you don’t add the Sport PASM option; see above).

Last edited by PSPorsche; 03-24-2024 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-24-2024, 01:06 AM
PSPorsche
Pro

Thanks for that info. I also noticed that for the Aerokit specifically it says: "Note: Significantly reduced approach and departure angles.", which makes it seem that the Aerokit is somewhat different than the Sport design where it says "SportDesign Package reduces approach and departure angles." Maybe I'm over-interpreting the descriptions, but it seems that by including "significantly" maybe the Aerokit lip is even more extended...
You’re right about the Aerokit. There are posts in this thread confirming that there is a second spoiler strip hidden below the visible spoiler lip. The second part extends closer to the ground on the Aerokit equipped cars, further reducing the clearance.
The following 2 users liked this post by PSPorsche:
aways (03-24-2024), yronzff (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 01:06 AM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 315 Posts

4S Sport Design, with PASM Sport, body color.

Old 03-24-2024, 03:10 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I can live without FAL in my area by being extra careful, but there are definitely some places nearby where it would be required to avoid scraping. it seems like such a nice option (especially the GPS memory functionality) that I'm tempted to go for it. Also, I'm still a bit confused about whether there's a difference between the Sport design front lip and the Aerokit front lip (the Porsche configurator videos seem to look different). It would also be nice if the replacement lips came painted in matte black rather than grey primer. Finally, in addition to the ride height considerations (I don't plan to go any lower than the SPASM -10mm), it would also matter how much more extended the Aerokit lip will be compared with standard bumper lip.

Did you even read this thread????? I literally outlined the differences and posted photographs. Everything you need to know is in this thread, you need only read it. There is absolutely a difference between the two lips and the two black underspoilers.

Post #63 and Post #70.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 03-24-2024 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:37 AM
aways
Instructor

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
Did you even read this thread????? I literally outlined the differences and posted photographs. Everything you need to know is in this thread, you need only read it. There is absolutely a difference between the two lips and the two black underspoilers.

Post #63 and Post #70.
Yes, thank you. I was thrown off by reading another thread then coming back to this one, and then by the Suncoast parts website (https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...92aerolip.html) which seemed to imply that the SportDesign and the Aerokit lips were the same. Anyway, thanks again for your help. Much appreciated!
M3Inline6 (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 04:33 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Yes, thank you. I was thrown off by reading another thread then coming back to this one, and then by the Suncoast parts website (https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...92aerolip.html) which seemed to imply that the SportDesign and the Aerokit lips were the same. Anyway, thanks again for your help. Much appreciated!

Any time! Clearing up any confusion was the objective.

Old 04-12-2024, 12:51 PM
Artzwrk
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Apologies in advance so for Sport Design, is the part number for the matte black one 992-807-100-G-OK1?

Suncoasts website is a bit confusing in that they lump GTS, sport design, and aero kit as one. The one I was trying to avoid is the primer grey one.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:34 PM
SA_992SMT
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Artzwrk
Apologies in advance so for Sport Design, is the part number for the matte black one 992-807-100-G-OK1?

Suncoasts website is a bit confusing in that they lump GTS, sport design, and aero kit as one. The one I was trying to avoid is the primer grey one.
I believe all versions come primer gray. You can always have it wrapped matte black. That’s what I did. I bought this from a fellow forum member as chalk and had it wrapped

M3Inline6 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 02:54 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,007 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
Everything you need to know is in this thread, you need only read it. There is absolutely a difference between the two lips and the two black underspoilers.

Post #63 and Post #70.
Thanks for your helpful posts. The SportDesign Package was a must-have for me and I skipped front axle lift. But for anyone considering the Aerokit, I'd think FAL would have to get some consideration.
M3Inline6 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 04:59 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

A lot of the discussion surrounding the need for FAL suggests that one of the reasons that it's not worth the price is that the front bumper lip is cheap and easy to replace if damaged... However, in reading through this thread it seems to me that if the car has the Aerokit front bumper, the lip is not cheap nor simple to find in matte black. From the Suncoast website I found: https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...92aerolip.html which is $725 and comes with primer only, so more when painted/wrapped. It would be another $700 if the other (lower) lip piece is necessary. I'm trying to make the final call on FAL for my T allocation (SPASM), and looking into this has tilted me towards FAL. Curious as to what others with the Aerokit think about FAL.
Sport Design lower lip is two pieces. There is another piece underneath the black painted lip that takes the hit first. That piece is much cheaper (don't recall exact price) and also doesn't get painted since it is black. Unless you really hit/scrape something very hard, you'll scrape this lower lip first and it won't do much damage at all. You can't even really see it. Also, you have a T so it's not as low as a GTS. I just drove my GTS almost 2000 miles from VA through WV, NC, KY, OH, PA, MD and back. Scraped it once (lightly) just pulling over in a random shopping center to check directions. I probably would have forgotten to hit the FAL button anyway. It didn't seem steep but was more the angel of approach.

Quick Reply: Sport design Front Lip