Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink AUGH!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 09:48 PM
Mark Satran
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my 992 and gave up promptly on Homelink. The dealbreaker is that you can’t close the garage door while in reverse and continue using the backup camera.

I found the following hack on Reddit that makes the Liftmaster MyQ app useable through Siri using an Apple Shortcut. Now I just say “Hey Siri, Open main garage” and I’m done.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shortcuts/c...tent=post_body
Old 08-11-2020, 10:07 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Satran
I just got my 992 and gave up promptly on Homelink. The dealbreaker is that you can’t close the garage door while in reverse and continue using the backup camera.

I found the following hack on Reddit that makes the Liftmaster MyQ app useable through Siri using an Apple Shortcut. Now I just say “Hey Siri, Open main garage” and I’m done.

Exactly.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:09 AM
phila12180
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

As of now I do not own a Porsche but I am going to be ordering my first 911 towards the end of the year for 2021 delivery. I have always been in love with Porsche and I am finally in a position to buy one. It amazes me the short comings of the car, this homelink system is a fiasco. The fact that such an expensive car does not come standard with the modern suite of safety features such as Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keeping Assist and Collision Avoidance is just incredible. The other attributes of the car far out way these short comings so even though I am disappointed the car does not have these things it will not put me off buying one.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:52 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phila12180
As of now I do not own a Porsche but I am going to be ordering my first 911 towards the end of the year for 2021 delivery. I have always been in love with Porsche and I am finally in a position to buy one. It amazes me the short comings of the car, this homelink system is a fiasco. The fact that such an expensive car does not come standard with the modern suite of safety features such as Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keeping Assist and Collision Avoidance is just incredible. The other attributes of the car far out way these short comings so even though I am disappointed the car does not have these things it will not put me off buying one.
The base car without options is a good deal for what you are getting - a high performance lightweight car. If they piled all that equipment on, they would surely raise the price. So for a quick comparison, a Porsche 992 C2 starts at about $100k, and the Acura NSX at about $160K. At $100k, you get to add on exactly the options that are important to you for safety, performance, comfort, and style. For me, I don’t care at all about those options you mention, find “lane keep assist” a total nuisance, and glad I didn’t need to pay for them.

I think a bare bones C2 has a lot of merit, by the way. A guards red C2 with a few performance and comfort options is a fantastic sports car.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dan Nagy:
dhirm5 (08-20-2020), Metalblond (08-13-2020), russbert (08-13-2020), Todd C (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 09:00 AM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
The base car without options is a good deal for what you are getting - a high performance lightweight car. If they piled all that equipment on, they would surely raise the price. So for a quick comparison, a Porsche 992 C2 starts at about $100k, and the Acura NSX at about $160K. At $100k, you get to add on exactly the options that are important to you for safety, performance, comfort, and style. For me, I don’t care at all about those options you mention, find “lane keep assist” a total nuisance, and glad I didn’t need to pay for them.

I think a bare bones C2 has a lot of merit, by the way. A guards red C2 with a few performance and comfort options is a fantastic sports car.
same here.. keep all the nanny gimmicks .. i bought a drivers car to drive not a fancy looking GT car with all the bells and whistles
The following users liked this post:
Metalblond (08-13-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 05:00 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

So, the new MyQ garage door opener was installed today, and the Homelink in the 992 took two seconds to program and opens my door with no issue. I took a nice country drive today and when I came back, the notice popped up on the screen, hit the button, opened, perfect.

Now I want to connect Siri to it but can’t get it to work. How do I do that? Thanks so much.
stevepow (11-16-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 06:03 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Now I want to connect Siri to it but can’t get it to work. How do I do that? Thanks so much.
I find that the Homelink GPS popup is not dependable and I have to push extra buttons when I pull up to my garage door to bring up my Homelink configuration to transmit. But it's a minor inconvenience.

Regarding Siri control of MyQ, the official solution is to purchase the extra MyQ Home Bridge (819LMB) that let's you add your MyQ opener and devices to your Home(kit): https://www.myq.com/apple-homekit. It's too bad that it's an extra add-on when you already have a MyQ opener, but I purchased and installed it recently and it works just fine. (Note that Amazon currently
offers it offers it
only via third-party sellers that are charging more than MSRP, so you may prefer to buy it directly from the LiftMaster https://www.liftmaster.com/myq-home-bridge/p/G819LMB).

There is also an unofficial and free way to integrate Siri with MyQ via an Apple Shortcut: See this post. It seemed a little more involved and looked like it needed to embed login info, so I went the official route instead.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:20 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

One thing to keep in mind about using the bridge and going through official HomeKit support - Siri will not let you open the door via voice command unless the phone is unlocked. Another annoying issue is that closing takes something like 5 seconds to actually happen - the light on the opener flashes to indicate it's about to close, so it's not a delay in the signal but in the opener itself. I don't recall if that was specific to going through the bridge or if the MyQ app itself behaved the same way.

There is a work around to bypass the Siri security issue, though - but it requires Homebridge, which is probably more involved than using the Shortcut.

Last edited by ryanlsmith; 08-20-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:29 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanlsmith
One thing to keep in mind about using the bridge and going through official HomeKit support - Siri will not let you open the door via voice command unless the phone is unlocked. Another annoying issue is that closing takes something like 5 seconds to actually happen - the light on the opener flashes to indicate it's about to close, so it's not a delay in the signal but in the opener itself. I don't recall if that was specific to going through the bridge or if the MyQ app itself behaved the same way.

There is a work around to bypass the Siri security issue, though - but it requires Homebridge, which is probably more involved than using the Shortcut.
I'm able to open my MyQ garage door using my a Siri command to my Apple Watch even if my phone is locked. I assume it works because the watch is the device and, while on my wrist, it is "unlocked".
Old 08-20-2020, 06:33 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
I'm able to open my MyQ garage door using my a Siri command to my Apple Watch even if my phone is locked. I assume it works because the watch is the device and, while on my wrist, it is "unlocked".
Correct, the watch is "unlocked" as long as it's on your wrist. Apple Pay is more relaxed in this way, too.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:44 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanlsmith
Another annoying issue is that closing takes something like 5 seconds to actually happen - the light on the opener flashes to indicate it's about to close, so it's not a delay in the signal but in the opener itself. I don't recall if that was specific to going through the bridge or if the MyQ app itself behaved the same way.
The 5 seconds and lots of warning beeping is a MyQ thing. The same thing occurs when I close the garage door using the MyQ app or if I use Alexa to close the garage door.
ryanlsmith (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 07:14 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys...working on the shortcut aspect but I’m locked out of it on my iPhone. I’ll figure it out tonight... eventually.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:27 PM
nuporsche
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

Any thoughts on using one of the configurator buttons on your steering wheel or the dash? Or how about a good old fashion garage door opener. they make some sleek ones now.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:36 PM
Drizz
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Satran

Nice find! I hate that I have to close the camera screen (when backing out of my driveway) and then open the Homelink screen. Such a pain. Why they didn't just put physical buttons on the bottom-side of the rear view mirror like every other car, I have no idea.
Metalblond (08-25-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 09:29 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by nuporsche
Any thoughts on using one of the configurator buttons on your steering wheel or the dash? Or how about a good old fashion garage door opener. they make some sleek ones now.
I have the steering wheel diamond button programmed to the HomeLInk screen and the dash diamond button programmed to the park assist screen so I can somewhat effectively use the HomeLink system. Most of the time, however, I just use a small black remote that I keep in the storage bin in the console--much easier.

Quick Reply: Homelink AUGH!