Sponsored by:

992 Base Carrera or Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 06:23 PM
SF_
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
....or maybe, just maybe.....get the S to get the 7MT because that's not an option with the base car. Ever fathom that?
I'm letting my transmission choice decide base vs S and I'm pretty sure I'm going with S 7MT (having only driven the S PDK), and then I read stuff like this - wth!

Old 06-18-2021, 06:27 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by SF_
I'm letting my transmission choice decide base vs S and I'm pretty sure I'm going with S 7MT (having only driven the S PDK), and then I read stuff like this - wth!

Re-read the last sentence in the Car Throttle blurb. That's your answer. My S manual is the most enjoyable car I have ever driven-- and this is my eighth Porsche.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:37 PM
SF_
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
Re-read the last sentence in the Car Throttle blurb. That's your answer. My S manual is the most enjoyable car I have ever driven-- and this is my eighth Porsche.
Yeah, I need to stop overthinking this, pick MT, S and move on. This is the problem with long wait times and no inventory on the lots to compare different versions. You end up building 100 different configs online and rely on journalists for comparisons.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:37 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by rewardforsuccess
Base is better for regular roads. Get the S for bragging rights or it's your last Porsche. Get the S if you are a track lover.
With the base, You'll be able to rev more and push the car closer to it's limits without going TOO much over the speed limit. For example, on the S, in order to enjoy it you will be going like 60-65mph on a 45mph road. That's too fast, whereas in a humble base, it's around 50-55 ish, just right.

The 992 is so fast that even the base is faster than a 991.2 4S. Even when pulling on the highway it feels like a 991.1 Turbo that's how much power you have.
You cannot really discern the .3 or whatever from 0-60-100 in a base or the S. You will be around 80-85 mph when an S will give you 100+.

On US highways where the limit is 55-65, upon hard accelerating where it is fun, the base will be around 80-85 (under 90 threshold). You will most likely avoid any tickets since many other cars are in that range, but when you are doing 95+ you will for sure grab the attention of traffic enforcement. It was not like this in the 991.1 and 991.2 generation. Back then, the S was barely adequate. You could use the power of the GTS freely. Problem is the 992 became so much faster and smoother.

The base/pasm/spasm is similar. The base non-pasm is more suited for daily driving. It's more comfortable and relaxed. I tried the Spasm and man each bump on the road was like cracking your back. Non-pasm vs pasm, for the street I still prefer the non-pasm. To me any active suspensions versus regular coil springs detract from the naturalness. I hate feeling any lag or "calculating" so to speak, and that's also why I'm not a big fan of real-wheel steering either.

Porsche-Torque-Vectoring (Limited slip differential) is imperceptible with proper tires and regular driving, even in bad weather. It doesn't really help unless you are driving like a nut all the time, in bad weather. It's suited for the track. You don't need it. Incidentally the only time I slipped out was on a 991.2 4S with all the bells and whistles PTV/RWS/PASM etc.

The right answer is that you gotta configure the car for your specific needs.

But, objectively the setup that fits the streets and regular driving, the base setup is the most ideal. The reason why you have so many S is flat-out better than the base posts is basically because of 1) the press and 2) Defending their egos.

I've driven them all.
All 992’s have PASM. Just sayin’.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 07:37 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by rewardforsuccess
Base is better for regular roads. Get the S for bragging rights or it's your last Porsche. Get the S if you are a track lover.
With the base, You'll be able to rev more and push the car closer to it's limits without going TOO much over the speed limit. For example, on the S, in order to enjoy it you will be going like 60-65mph on a 45mph road. That's too fast, whereas in a humble base, it's around 50-55 ish, just right.

The 992 is so fast that even the base is faster than a 991.2 4S. Even when pulling on the highway it feels like a 991.1 Turbo that's how much power you have.
You cannot really discern the .3 or whatever from 0-60-100 in a base or the S. You will be around 80-85 mph when an S will give you 100+.

On US highways where the limit is 55-65, upon hard accelerating where it is fun, the base will be around 80-85 (under 90 threshold). You will most likely avoid any tickets since many other cars are in that range, but when you are doing 95+ you will for sure grab the attention of traffic enforcement. It was not like this in the 991.1 and 991.2 generation. Back then, the S was barely adequate. You could use the power of the GTS freely. Problem is the 992 became so much faster and smoother.

The base/pasm/spasm is similar. The base non-pasm is more suited for daily driving. It's more comfortable and relaxed. I tried the Spasm and man each bump on the road was like cracking your back. Non-pasm vs pasm, for the street I still prefer the non-pasm. To me any active suspensions versus regular coil springs detract from the naturalness. I hate feeling any lag or "calculating" so to speak, and that's also why I'm not a big fan of real-wheel steering either.

Porsche-Torque-Vectoring (Limited slip differential) is imperceptible with proper tires and regular driving, even in bad weather. It doesn't really help unless you are driving like a nut all the time, in bad weather. It's suited for the track. You don't need it. Incidentally the only time I slipped out was on a 991.2 4S with all the bells and whistles PTV/RWS/PASM etc.

The right answer is that you gotta configure the car for your specific needs.

But, objectively the setup that fits the streets and regular driving, the base setup is the most ideal. The reason why you have so many S is flat-out better than the base posts is basically because of 1) the press and 2) Defending their egos.

I've driven them all.
1) Speed limits on US roads
I've been through 15 states in my C4S and driven it 20k miles.
Speed limit in Pennsylvania is 70MPH.
Speed limit in Oklahoma is 80MPH.
There's also a lot of 75MPH out there in this country.
Flow of traffic is often 15MPH above those limits on the highway.

The "rev more" assertion is nonsense. The Base isn't slow, but the S delivers significantly more torque and snappier acceleration regardless how fast you're going.

2) All 992s have PASM
So, the base isn't particularly more suited to daily driving. For those considering options, SPASM is worth it -- delivers the experience you expect out of a sports car.

3) PTV+/LSD
If you're going to drive your 911 like a Camry or cruise down restaurant row, sure, you don't need it. If you're attacking a back road and/or driving in adverse conditions, totally worth it, at least for me, because it makes for a more predictable handling car when you push it, slide it around, or just when you're getting the power to ground. When I have the choice between an LSD or an open diff, LSD every time. Sometimes, you don't get that choice.

I don't understand the "slipped out" comment, but then again, I enjoy throwing a car sideways and treat traction like a fluid -- growing up riding enduros and dirtbikes in the snow will do that to you.

4) Egos etc
I bought 4S, because the performance and features of the S models were very important to me. I also think that Porsche nailed it with the updated AWD system in the 992. It's not ego. I didn't get the car to impress anyone. I bought the car for me. I don't need to defend my choice. My money, my preferences, my build. Love it.

I think that the Base 992 is a great car -- it's the best Base Carrera ever. That being said, I don't subscribe to the confirmation bias and nonsense that it's the superior choice. If there's ego involved, it's beating the drum that "the base setup is ideal". If you can afford an S with the options that you want, buy the S. If you think that you'd be happy with the Base and it saves you a few bucks, go with that.
The following 4 users liked this post by detansinn:
aggie57 (06-18-2021), German1967 (06-18-2021), Go Bruins (06-18-2021), M3Inline6 (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 07:49 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
1) Speed limits on US roads
I've been through 15 states in my C4S and driven it 20k miles.
Speed limit in Pennsylvania is 70MPH.
Speed limit in Oklahoma is 80MPH.
There's also a lot of 75MPH out there in this country.
Flow of traffic is often 15MPH above those limits on the highway.
To add to this....

.....there are much cheaper options to spend your money on if one is worried about speed limits, attracting the attention of me and my peers, etc. To suggest a base 992 and then follow-up with his reasoning is silly. You don't need a 992 for that. Like you said, confirmation bias is at play here.
The following 3 users liked this post by M3Inline6:
aggie57 (06-18-2021), detansinn (06-18-2021), pinetree3 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 07:13 PM
Harris27
Advanced

Received 68 Likes on 28 Posts

I built and now have my fully loaded C2 with sport design, PCCBs, and all the goodies. I ordered it at the time thinking "it was more than enough speed and car". Four months later.. I couldn't help to ask my dealership to do a GIAC tune (added 65 HP and appx 100 lb ft tq) and lower the car to fill that 4" wheel gap that the base carrera has (the configurator doesn't show much of a difference between the S with SPASM and base without, but in real life the gap difference is drastic). Finally after a sports alignment, that car drives exactly the way I wanted it to be.

Moral of the story, just get the S with SPASM... unless you like putting work into your car like I do. At some point, you're going to wish the car punched like an S. If you don't do the occasional spirited drive, and don't mind wheel gaps, then go for the C2.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 07:24 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Harris27
I built and now have my fully loaded C2 with sport design, PCCBs, and all the goodies. I ordered it at the time thinking "it was more than enough speed and car". Four months later.. I couldn't help to ask my dealership to do a GIAC tune (added 65 HP and appx 100 lb ft tq) and lower the car to fill that 4" wheel gap that the base carrera has (the configurator doesn't show much of a difference between the S with SPASM and base without, but in real life the gap difference is drastic). Finally after a sports alignment, that car drives exactly the way I wanted it to be.

Moral of the story, just get the S with SPASM... unless you like putting work into your car like I do. At some point, you're going to wish the car punched like an S. If you don't do the occasional spirited drive, and don't mind wheel gaps, then go for the C2.
What's a GIAC tune?
Old 06-22-2021, 07:31 PM
Harris27
Advanced

Originally Posted by LifesAnesthesia
What's a GIAC tune?

it’s an ECU tune that remaps your car to unlock full potential. Works wonders on turbocharged cars. NA cars not so much
Old 06-22-2021, 07:37 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Harris27
it’s an ECU tune that remaps your car to unlock full potential. Works wonders on turbocharged cars. NA cars not so much
Can you P/M the price you paid for the tune? Also, did the dealer lower your car by installing springs for you or adjusting the spring perches?
Old 06-22-2021, 07:46 PM
Harris27
Advanced

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
Can you P/M the price you paid for the tune? Also, did the dealer lower your car by installing springs for you or adjusting the spring perches?

Apex in Clifton NJ did the magic lowering for me. I asked for the KW HAS springs, and they worked to lower it conservatively 1” in front 0.6” in rear. PMing you now
The following 2 users liked this post by Harris27:
AlterZgo (06-22-2021), M3Inline6 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 08:19 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm trying to buy a 992S by making more people buy the base version jeez is that so hard to understand...

Quick Reply: 992 Base Carrera or Carrera S