Sponsored by:

992 Base Carrera or Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 04:07 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by pinetree3
Could not agree more. I do fear of the instant regret which is why I am leaning towards the C2S. Being able to go through the gears on a sunny day or hitting the downshifts (can the auto rev-match be turned off?) spot on has always been the fundamental joy in driving for me. I remember test driving a Cayman R a few years back and the auto rev-matching both was awesome and also sad at the same time. Not being able to blip the throttle just the right amount and popping it into gear kind of sucked, but I can see from a typical driver standpoint, it'd be nice to essentially have perfect rev match downshift.

While I agree spending well over $100k the $18k shouldn't make a difference, but I come from a frugal and money conscious background and upbringing, so I do factor in whether the only main point for me in getting the S is the manual and if so, if that's worth the extra $$$.

To provide a bit more context, I don't own a business and pull in millions, I don't have a trust fund from parents. I earn a decent salary and just saved up to pull off this soon to be purchase. That's why the $18k can definitely be put to use elsewhere.
Maybe a C2 991.2 MT? If you buy a dealer demo or low mileage pre-owned you get a better warranty than new along with a healthy discount. Over the last few years I've driven mine a bit in the Toronto winter and now put it away as side street snow in the middle of the road is too much. C2 with winter tires isn't bad but NOTHING compares to AWD . If you want MT get MT. Too much money to compromise. Sunny and +2...think I might get my car out!

Last edited by 911boy; 02-25-2021 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:57 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 103 Posts

I wouldnt sweat it using a C2 with winters on it. That said, I do agree that AWD still gets the nod for traction in slippery conditions. The one thing I don’t fully agree with is the $18k difference between the base and S ... surely there are a few options that most would add to the base (that are included in the S) that reduces this. Having spent too much time building my next car, I’d suggest the differential is closer to $12k. Still a chunk of change though ...

Last edited by Stevelev; 02-25-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:35 PM
BlitzedTT
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevelev
I wouldnt sweat it using a C2 with winters on it. That said, I do agree that AWD still gets the nod for traction in slippery conditions. The one thing I don’t fully agree with is the $18k difference between the base and S ... surely there are a few options that most would add to the base (that are included in the S) that reduces this. Having spent too much time building my next car, I’d suggest the differential is closer to $12k. Still a chunk of change though ...
Yup this is definitely true when it comes to Sports Chrono/PSE. If you were going to add those to your C2, but were going to get a C2S for the manual, that option alone reduces the cost $2.4K (USD) and you don't get SPASM. Then little extras add up so that similarly C2/C4 spec'ed cars are really only about $12K apart.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:24 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

Pinetree 3, I think you would be taking an unreasonable risk if you don't get the S-- primarily because you are pretty clear that you are a manual guy, and the S is the only way to get there. How would you feel if, three months after delivery of your $100K+ car you conclude "I wish I would have ordered a manual"? t seems to me that there are very few people who order a manual and three months later wish they had gotten a PDK. Also, consider that the total cost of choosing an S isn't $18k Canadian. One day you are going to sell or trade the car, and the S will bring a premium. For argument's sake, let's assume that half of the differential between the base and S is made up when trading or selling. If that's the case, the delta between the base and S is $9000. If you keep the car five years, that works out to $1800 a year to own a car with your preferred transmission, an upgraded engine, and bigger wheels and brakes. So, unless you are at the absolute limit of your budget, the rational choice is the S.

In answer to your question about rev matching, you can avoid that by driving the car in Normal mode. Rev matching is activated in Sport or Sports Plus modes-- or (not recommended) if you disable stability control and other safety features. Don't worry-- the manual car is great fun the way they designed it.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:28 PM
Kats
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Glad I found this thread. Just joined the forums today after some lurking, so hello everyone! I am also considering getting into my first P-car, either a C2 or C2S. I am torn since manual is almost a must for me, but I feel paying the extra $18k CAD (I'm from Canada), just for the manual transmission is a bit steep. Based on what everyone's been saying here, I feel the C2 is plenty fast for me as it will be a summer/daily driver which I plan to drive in the winter when the roads are not covered in snow. My thinking is why buy a car to store it when I can enjoy it as much as I can.

That said, I'm still completely undecided which to go with. The C4 would be perfect for Canadian winters, but again, I need that S badge for the manual option. Do I really take a C2/C4 and save some $$$ and have a really awesome car but not being able to enjoy hitting the clutch and shifting which has always been a dream when I think of owning a 911. Decisions, decisions.
My dilemma as well. To make matters worse, here in BC if you go over $125k there is an additional 5% tax (of the WHOLE purchase price FFS)! Basically, you have to do a short term lease and buy it out as soon as the residual is under 125k. What a joke. But as mentioned, my build is only 12K more going S because there are less options needed (21" tires) SC etc. So unless you're getting a stripper, it will be less than $18K I'm sure. But still, 12K for a MT when you don't care about the HP and brakes is a bitter pill to swallow - I feel ya. Personally, I'm on the fence.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:22 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Kats
My dilemma as well. To make matters worse, here in BC if you go over $125k there is an additional 5% tax (of the WHOLE purchase price FFS)! Basically, you have to do a short term lease and buy it out as soon as the residual is under 125k. What a joke. But as mentioned, my build is only 12K more going S because there are less options needed (21" tires) SC etc. So unless you're getting a stripper, it will be less than $18K I'm sure. But still, 12K for a MT when you don't care about the HP and brakes is a bitter pill to swallow - I feel ya. Personally, I'm on the fence.
$12,000 more for an "S" is pretty much a no brainer.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:41 PM
pinetree3
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LnC993
Have you ever consider a Cayman GTS 4.0 with manual?
Yeah that was car of choice a few years ago but 2 kids later I need the backseats. As much as it barely fits anything in the back, there is still the possibility of driving the fam around. Having a GT4 is really just for my own pleasure.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:45 PM
pinetree3
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nibiru12
Base or S?

Nobody other than the owner himself really cares or recognizes the difference, base is still super fast and flashy.

It's just all about your ego & greed & infatuation & empty soul.
I’d gladly buy a base if it was offered in manual. Hands down. Unfortunately it’s not
The following 2 users liked this post by pinetree3:
manual_laborer (06-18-2021), Stevelev (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 09:48 PM
pinetree3
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kats
Yeah I have lots of friends in Vancouver and know about that. Your strategy sounds about right lease until residual drops below $125k and then buy it out right. But then again the interest paid vs the 5% might not be that much difference at the end of the day.

I get what everyone is saying about the actual difference factoring in what’s already included in MSRP, but there isn’t anything I need other than the manual option to be honest so I do see it as $18k difference.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:29 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

Base or S?

Nobody other than the owner himself really cares or recognizes the difference, base is still super fast and flashy.

It's all about what the owner wants, not anyone else's (including your) opinion. Ego, greed, infatuation, and empty soul... So glad you've educated us all. What a bunch of crap.

The following 3 users liked this post by dgtarga:
manual_laborer (06-18-2021), michael818 (02-26-2021), smiles11 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 11:21 PM
Kats
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by phaser
$12,000 more for an "S" is pretty much a no brainer.
I agree. Though, for me, I look at it as $12k for MT.
The following users liked this post:
manual_laborer (06-18-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 08:24 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,243 Likes on 751 Posts

Base or S?

Old 02-26-2021, 11:01 AM
pinetree3
Advanced

Another question I had is, do dealerships have 911s in exact trims and transmissions to test drive? I'd definitely want to drive a base PDK and a manual S before making a $150k CAD decision. Not that it would change any of the things I said or prefer, but I just feel that is reasonable to do in case I magically find that the PDK a thrill or the S is just too fast for a daily.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:05 AM
pinetree3
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlitzedTT
Yup this is definitely true when it comes to Sports Chrono/PSE. If you were going to add those to your C2, but were going to get a C2S for the manual, that option alone reduces the cost $2.4K (USD) and you don't get SPASM. Then little extras add up so that similarly C2/C4 spec'ed cars are really only about $12K apart.
Perhaps I may be uneducated or simply never tried those features out, but I wasn't planning on getting either options. PSE is "nice", but I find the regular 992 exhaust note good enough for me. I also never really understood the value of the Sports Chrono package. I hope I didn't just open myself up for flaming haha. Excuse my ignorance!
Old 02-26-2021, 11:07 AM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

Another question I had is, do dealerships have 911s in exact trims and transmissions to test drive? I'd definitely want to drive a base PDK and a manual S before making a $150k CAD decision. Not that it would change any of the things I said or prefer, but I just feel that is reasonable to do in case I magically find that the PDK a thrill or the S is just too fast for a daily.
Most dealers don't have any 992s to sell or maybe one. Don't expect any dealers to have a corral of demo 911s to pick from for test drives.

Last edited by phaser; 02-26-2021 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 992 Base Carrera or Carrera S