Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 10:44 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts
Default The name of the Green color in the photo?

If you take a look at the German Porsche configurator for the new 718 GTS 4.0 there is a Green option which appears to be called "Python" green. It appears to be slightly darker than Porsche's known "Viper" green. Of course pythons and vipers are very different snakes. I like both colors, but I'd take the Viper green every time.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:47 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,329 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Adding larger turbos to the 3.0 S costs a similar amount as adding smaller turbos to the 3.8
how do you know this exactly? And it stands to reason that the 3.8L capital T Turbo engine is almost certainly likely more expensive to make
than the Carrera engine.

Besides which, that still doesn’t address the major tax issue of 3.0 vs 3.8L in the second largest world market for Porsche.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drifting:
jto24 (02-18-2020), SDK Autos (02-16-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 11:05 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
how do you know this exactly? And it stands to reason that the 3.8L capital T Turbo engine is almost certainly likely more expensive to make
than the Carrera engine.

Besides which, that still doesn’t address the major tax issue of 3.0 vs 3.8L in the second largest world market for Porsche.

There are multiple Porsche models that don t care China tax

Cayman GTS and GT4
Cayenne Turbo
Panamera GTS and Turbo
992 Turbo

just to mention some of the > 3liters models in spite of the China tax
Old 02-16-2020, 12:30 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,101 Likes on 2,872 Posts

than the Carrera engine.

All of the 9A1/9A2 Wet Sump Flat-6 motors cost about the same to build. The displacement increase adds no additional cost. The current 3.8 Turbo motor is based on the 9A1 begun with 987.2 and 997.2 2.9L to 3.8L Boxster/Cayman/Carrera NA motor with different (low compression) pistons and turbochargers (turbocharging adds a little more complexity and expense). Seems the next 3.8 TT will be based on the 9A2 3.0 TT motor (as is the NA 4.0 from the 718 GT4 and Spyder and GTS).

Only the GT3/RS/Speedster motor costs significantly more to build, mostly due to the ability to rev to 9k, dry sump, and basic platform shared with the endurance race cars Cup, 911R, and RSR. Adds things like Titanium conrods, hollow crankshaft with oiling to rod bearings through it, solid lifter valvetrain, etc.

I imagine the GT2 RS is the most costly wet sump motor to build (a bit more than TurboS and most of the extras are external to the motor), but far less than the GT3 motor. The 1,800 rpm lower redline simplifies its requirements.

PetevB has done some reviews of the parts complements of the various motors in the past.

Last edited by GrantG; 02-16-2020 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:35 AM
SDK Autos
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
I agree that Porsche has never spent money
and RoW is gone mad with CO2 emissions (whilst the real CO2 is coming from agricultural and house heating systems )

718 GTS 4L is a very cheap engine in components and metallurgy when compared to any NA 4L Porsche built so far

all together bring to the conclusion that a detuned 3.8 Turbo

costs way less than a even more tuned Speedster engine

it is way way more ecofriendly than a more tuned Speedster engine

wondering why a GTS should be ready for production 2 years before the usual planning

to me that green 992 is not a GTS

I also agree it seems far too early in the release cycle for Porsche to announce the GTS. The GTS is normally the kicker towards the end of cycle when sales slow due to the new or refresh model coming down the line, and really it's a price incentive, all of performance options for a reduced price + a negliable amount of added power.

Even if the green car is a GTS, nothing to say they will start building them in 2020, could be 2021 before the 992.2 comes to town in late 2021/22

Old 02-16-2020, 08:10 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 780 Likes on 454 Posts

What if its coming out early cuz its awesome?!
But seriously, I recall that the 991.2 gts had a 2017, 2018, and 2019 model
The following users liked this post:
dhirm5 (02-17-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 08:11 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by SDK Autos
I also agree it seems far too early in the release cycle for Porsche to announce the GTS. The GTS is normally the kicker towards the end of cycle when sales slow due to the new or refresh model coming down the line, and really it's a price incentive, all of performance options for a reduced price + a negliable amount of added power.

Even if the green car is a GTS, nothing to say they will start building them in 2020, could be 2021 before the 992.2 comes to town in late 2021/22
The Turbo will come out before the GTS. I'd guess the GTS allocations start delivering next year. Then comes the T and finally the GT models will close the cycle. And that would be quick -- assuming a 3 year lifespan for the 992.1.

Then the hybrids come...of course the OPF fitted 911s are going to sound so bad that maybe no one will care anymore.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:03 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 839 Likes on 418 Posts

exactly. Porsche never spends money they don’t have to. Adjust the boost on current 3.0L engine, add parts bin option package, and you have a GTS, with almost no investment from Porsche, but a great return.

Also, keeping the 3.0L turbo displacement is important for tax purposes in china, which is now their second largest market.

992 GTS will be the same recipe as the 991.2, for both reasons.
EXCEPT that now Porsche has ALL Carrera models as wide body cars, lessening the value of paying a GTS premium vs previous gen cars. Porsche needs to give the GTS buyer a reason to spend more for the car vs a standard S or 4S, beyond an extra 25hp, centerlock wheels and alcantara interior. The GTS needs more to differentiate or people will skip the trim level. Porsche wants to maintain and increase revenue, so it wants to get cars like the GTS and Turbo into production sooner rather than later. They know they’re missing out on a ton of sales right now for cars like the GTS and GT3 because they aren’t available, and I’m sure lots of people (like me) are waiting on buying until they are available. These are no longer special edition/limited production models. They are models expected from buyers. Porsche will surprise us all with additional special edition models but they know they can’t intentionally miss opportunities to sell these cars, and availability of high demand models trumps China’s displacement tax.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:13 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
EXCEPT that now Porsche has ALL Carrera models as wide body cars, lessening the value of getting a GTS vs previous gen cars. Porsche needs to give the GTS buyer a reason to spend more for the car vs a standard S or 4S, beyond an extra 25hp, centerlock wheels and alcantara interior. The GTS needs more to differentiate or people will skip the trim level.
I broached this issue earlier. We can debate engine all we want and we shall see soon enough, but is the assumption this is a GTS based just on the center locks?

I am in line for a 992 Turbo and I was told that it will be wider than the S and 4S. This is why I asked 2 pages back if the green car in photo was widebody or C4S/S body width? If the turbo is wider as I have been told, then the GTS will be wider as well and who knows or cares what is in the photo as they could slap center locks on anything.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:16 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
I broached this issue earlier. We can debate engine all we want and we shall see soon enough, but is the assumption this is a GTS based just on the center locks?

I am in line for a 992 Turbo and I was told that it will be wider than the S and 4S. This is why I asked 2 pages back if the green car in photo was widebody or C4S/S body width? If the turbo is wider as I have been told, then the GTS will be wider as well and who knows or cares what is in the photo as they could slap center locks on anything.
The 992 Turbo and Turbo S are indeed wider than the 992 Carrera models. Porsche just got rid of the narrow body with the 992. GT and TT/TTS cars will be wider than the Carrera. The GTS is a Carrera.
JMartinni (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 11:25 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
The 992 Turbo and Turbo S are indeed wider than the 992 Carrera models. Porsche just got rid of the narrow body with the 992. GT and TT/TTS cars will be wider than the Carrera. The GTS is a Carrera.
Lol, I don’t think my sources would mislead me after having purchased a new 911 Turbo new every 1 to 3 years since 1988 and other niceties including a new CGT.

Back to my original question, is the car in the photo a 992 C4S width and if so, why are we debating or thinking this is a GTS?
The following 2 users liked this post by Doug H:
detansinn (02-16-2020), thklinge (02-11-2021)
Old 02-16-2020, 11:40 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 2,826 Posts

GTS is going to be Turbo width? I don't buy it. We'll see. The GT2/GT3 RS, sure.

The Carrera, as it is, has a wide ***. The Turbo/GT3RS/GT2RS has the rear intakes to break up the increase width of the rear. Smooth fenders may look obese without the intakes.

The ultra wide *** has been reserved for the top tier models in the 991 gen. I have a hard time seeing them putting the GTS in that tier.

People are talking 3.8 liter engine GTS with Turbo width body - seriously -- what's the point of making any other higher tier car?

Cleaning lady rumors aside - the history of the GTS range has been pretty predictable. Who's to say what Porsche will do, but these changes would represent a wholesale departure and a significant price jump. Up to now, the GTS has always been the high value car.

Last edited by rk-d; 02-16-2020 at 12:04 PM.
detansinn (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 11:45 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The green car pictured doesn’t look any wider than a regular 992 Carrera. The TT/TTS car is visibly wider in all of the pictures. From other Carrera GTS photos posted, it looks like the car is not getting a special widebody over its Carrera siblings.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:47 AM
arek
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Back to my original question, is the car in the photo a 992 C4S width and if so, why are we debating or thinking this is a GTS?
In 991, the width went like this: C2, C2S <<< C4, C4S, C2GTS, C4GTS <<< Turbo, Turbo S
What we know about 992 so far: C2, C2S, C4, C4S <<< Turbo, Turbo S

If they followed the 991, the 992 GTS models would have the same body as C4.
You seem to imply that 992 GTS will have the widest body of the Turbo. What's the source of that info?
detansinn (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 11:51 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

From NA engines and six speed manuals to extra wide bodies, there’s clearly a lot of fan fiction around both the Carrera GTS and Carrera T. 🤪
jto24 (02-18-2020)

Quick Reply: 992 GTS