Sponsored by:

Sunroof - no sunshade - Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 03:47 PM
NachoRunner601
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sunroof - no sunshade - Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof

TIL that if you have the “Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof - 3FD - $1,500” - your car does not come with a retractable sunshade.

Meaning, yes you have a sunroof that opens/closes/tilts and there is a shade that blocks that glass, BUT, if you want to just retract the shade and look “through” your sunroof, you cannot do that. Seems weird to me that Porsche would make that an option, but yeah.

I’m sure this is common knowledge for some of you, but just something I learned when I went to look at a car yesterday.

If I’m mistaken please correct me!

The following users liked this post:
Trini (02-21-2023)
Old 12-25-2019, 04:01 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

I believe you need to spec the glass sunroof which is $2000 if I’m not mistaken. I think the sunroof your referring to doesn’t come with a retractable shade because the panel is solid, you can’t see through it.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:12 PM
NachoRunner601
Advanced

Originally Posted by Warren99
I believe you need to spec the glass sunroof which is $2000 if I’m not mistaken. I think the sunroof your referring to doesn’t come with a retractable shade because the panel is solid, you can’t see through it.
you are correct ... I expected the $1500 option to have a retractable sunshade... my expectations were wrong.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:49 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by NachoRunner601
you are correct ... I expected the $1500 option to have a retractable sunshade... my expectations were wrong.
I don't understand. The $1500 option is a solid piece that's either open or closed. A sunshade wouldn't be applicable. Sunshades are not designed to be used while the sunroof is open.

The $2k glass sunroof does have a retractable sunshade.
The following 2 users liked this post by GratedWasabi:
detansinn (12-26-2019), Schorsch (05-23-2022)
Old 12-25-2019, 05:33 PM
NachoRunner601
Advanced

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi
I don't understand. The $1500 option is a solid piece that's either open or closed. A sunshade wouldn't be applicable. Sunshades are not designed to be used while the sunroof is open.

The $2k glass sunroof does have a retractable sunshade.
I assumed that both had retractable sunshades - as I’ve never seen a sunroof in any other vehicle without a retractable sunshade. Meaning, I could open the shade and have the sunroof still closed.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:00 PM
USC9114S
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NachoRunner601
I assumed that both had retractable sunshades - as I’ve never seen a sunroof in any other vehicle without a retractable sunshade. Meaning, I could open the shade and have the sunroof still closed.
Ummm...most “sun” roofs that have a retractable shade are glass which allows the “sun” to be visible through the glass or not when the sunroof is closed...seems like common sense. The Porsche Options list it as a “sun blind” under the description for the Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass.

Conversely...I’ve never seen a sunshade in a vehicle with a solid metal roof...what purpose would it serve?
The following 2 users liked this post by USC9114S:
detansinn (05-19-2022), dhirm5 (12-27-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 07:06 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by USC9114S
...Conversely...I’ve never seen a sunshade in a vehicle with a solid metal roof...what purpose would it serve?
i did see one once in an old BMW 530i I think. Solid sunroof but a retractable internal panel, I guess intended to insulate the cabin and make the headliner flush. In fact it created a perfect breeding ground for condensation and thick white furry mould. I couldn’t get out of the car fast enough.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:44 PM
NachoRunner601
Advanced

Originally Posted by USC9114S
Ummm...most “sun” roofs that have a retractable shade are glass which allows the “sun” to be visible through the glass or not when the sunroof is closed...seems like common sense. The Porsche Options list it as a “sun blind” under the description for the Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass.

Conversely...I’ve never seen a sunshade in a vehicle with a solid metal roof...what purpose would it serve?
I thought that the glass sunroof = panoramic glass sunroof. Panoramic glass sunroof = transparent sunshade. Transparent sunshade = retractable to see panoramic glass sunroof

I thought the non-panoramic = standard/typical glass sunroof. Standard/typical glass sunroof = solid sunshade. Solid sunshade = retractable to see standard/typical glass sunroof.

I was not aware of the full metal sunroof.

If you have any spare "common sense" laying around to share, I would certainly appreciate it ... as it would clearly help me. Your contribution to this thread has been tremendously helpful and constructive.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:03 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

LMAO is this the Who's on First routine??

I've had a GTS with the glass sunroof and then a TT with the $1500 solid sunroof. I wanted to avoid the added weight of the glass sunroof with the TT, but IMO the glass sunroof is pretty fun for long-term ownership. IMO I'd get PDCC to have the anti-roll capability on the car with the glass roof. Some may say that's overkill but Hell you only live once.

The 997 Targas used a large glass roof- that's what reminds me of the glass sunroof option on 991s.

If you want low weight, don't get a sunroof at all.
The following 3 users liked this post by chance6:
992Sam (12-26-2019), barrett (05-19-2022), CZS (05-22-2022)
Old 12-26-2019, 11:51 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

I almost NEVER use the sunroof, honestly Id have specced my car without it but my dealer really hates ordering non GT cars (which obv don't have the option) without sunroof for resale. Carrera T also aside there. This time I just went with the non glass roof given less moving parts than the glass with the retractable shade.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:44 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

While part of me doesn't like the weight of a sunroof, that huge piece of glass really does open up the cabin and makes things less claustrophobic. I wouldn't spec one without it, even if I don't bother ever opening it. As others have noted, with the 991 and 992, you're basically getting a full glass roof when you have the sunroof.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:08 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 824 Likes on 457 Posts

I know it's popular and I know taste is purely subjective, but on light color cars like mine, I find the glass to be way too distracting from the car... especially with the body color strip removed .. I like the clean look of the metal sunroof and the weight loss is an added bonus... I wish Porsche was able to squeeze in a more traditional glasswork sunroof but it is wha it is.
The following 6 users liked this post by 992Sam:
aggie57 (12-26-2019), DSC48 (05-23-2022), gcurnew (12-26-2019), jkautz (12-26-2019), Patriot (12-26-2019), SBAD (05-19-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-26-2019, 02:53 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
I know it's popular and I know taste is purely subjective, but on light color cars like mine, I find the glass to be way too distracting from the car... especially with the body color strip removed .. I like the clean look of the metal sunroof and the weight loss is an added bonus... I wish Porsche was able to squeeze in a more traditional glasswork sunroof but it is wha it is.
actually agree here.
aggie57 (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 04:49 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I almost NEVER use the sunroof, honestly Id have specced my car without it but my dealer really hates ordering non GT cars (which obv don't have the option) without sunroof for resale. Carrera T also aside there. This time I just went with the non glass roof given less moving parts than the glass with the retractable shade.
I've heard that view before, but suggest it might have a lot to do with where the car is being bought/used. In a warm, sunny location a sunroof would tend to be appreciated more than in a colder, northern location or an area that gets a lot of rain. I also suggest that while many buyers like a sunroof, there are also many who don't like the extra weight, the increased chance of squeaks and rattles, additional maintenance and high cost of repair (once a car is out of warranty). Personally, I would never buy another 911 with a sunroof (had a Turbo and a GTS with them); with temperatures where I live ranging from -35 to +35 Celsius, and frost-heaved, pothole-infested roads the norm, both were noisy as h**l at various time throughout the year.

On the 992, I think both styles of sunroof - especially on a car other than black - break up the lines on the roof of the car somewhat when closed and egregiously so when open. As always, it comes down to personal preference. That I can spec my 911 without a sunroof and other things a dealer might believe are good for resale is a HUGE value to me as a buyer. I truly couldn't care less what the next owner might want, and think it's a fool's game trying to guess. FWIW, I've never had any trouble selling any of my cars, with or without options I expect some old-school dealers would say are "must haves." And because I always sell my used rides myself, it's moot that a dealer may offer less on a trade for a car they are never going to get.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:05 PM
soguinness
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 43 Posts

There is another aspect to the sunroof, which is reduced head clearance. I have to fit a child seat and will use the rear seat occasionally. I realized I’d do better with no sunroof and better head clearance
gcurnew (12-26-2019)

Quick Reply: Sunroof - no sunshade - Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof