Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender for 992

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 04:01 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

thread on battery chargers here https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1176...-chargers.html
Old 01-15-2020, 09:27 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
My understanding is that unless you have RAS on your 992, U.S. cars come with lead-acid battery...only the "cold climate" countries get LiFePO4 standard.
Thanks for that. I hope you're right. I'm not a Luddite, but for me, new tech needs to demonstrably improve old at a reasonable price point. If all Porsche did with the 9Y0 was save 40 pounds while adding $2K in cost and a huge dead spot in reliability, what exactly was the point, fellas?
Old 01-16-2020, 01:11 AM
992carreraS
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Is it bad form replying to my own post lol?

Anyway, Service Manager at my local dealer has confirmed that ALL 992s he's received/PDI'd - whether with RWS or not, have Lithium batteries. Nice "bonus" for Canadian (and Russian et al) buyers.
After reading this i took a look at my battery... low and behold it's Lithium Ion! And i just bought the Porsche Battery charger/tender. I'll post a pick this week. Thanks for the prompt to check.. Great news.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:30 PM
Seacil
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 992carreraS
After reading this i took a look at my battery... low and behold it's Lithium Ion! And i just bought the Porsche Battery charger/tender. I'll post a pick this week. Thanks for the prompt to check.. Great news.
I'd be interested to learn your success with Porsche's maintainer. After selecting the Lithium Ion mode, I could not get the charger to stay on line for more than 10 or so minutes, either through the 12V port or directly to the battery. Then, I locked the doors, AND the charger/maintainer worked as it should, but again it didn't want to maintain a charging status after several hours. As I'll be leaving the car unattended for a couple of months later on, I'd like to have assurance that I can maintain my battery for extended periods.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:31 AM
MaxFag
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any pic (or specs) of your Lithium battery?
I am wondering if this one is the same used in the 991 (Samsung sdi 40Ah LFP), which was not that good at very low temp... If someone can post a pic of its LFP battery it would be awesome!
Old 02-01-2020, 01:59 AM
992carreraS
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

Photo of my battery. Also, cigar style charger plug is located on passenger side, towards front of footwell, on the left. Hard to see from standing..

Old 02-01-2020, 03:36 AM
MaxFag
6th Gear

Photo of my battery. Also, cigar style charger plug is located on passenger side, towards front of footwell, on the left. Hard to see from standing..

Thanks a lot for the Pic, but I just checked the serial number of your battery and I am pretty sure that this one is a lead acid one.
I found a Pic of the LFP battery of the 992 I was looking for on an other thread after asking here.
Here is the thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1165...l#&gid=1&pid=2
It might be a 60Ah LG Chem (but not exactly the same as the Cayenne) and then hopefully better than the 40 Ah by Samsung at cold temp
Old 02-01-2020, 03:53 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

i don't know if you're looking at the right thread. there are two. anyway, the cigarette/cigar lighter approach won't work as it turns off in approx 30 minutes depending on lock condition. you need to hard-wire it. beware of the difficulties i wrote about
Old 02-01-2020, 08:54 AM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 136 Posts

as for the passenger footwell cigarette lighter port shutting down...

On another thread I relayed what my SA told me when picking up my 992 in order to use the cigarette lighter port for charging. I have not yet confirmed:

1. Park the car BUT LEAVE IT RUNNING (important)
2. Plug in the charger to the port and ensure it is lit
3. Turn off the car.

My belief is this allows the car to see the current in the cigarette port and exclude it from the sleep procedure.

would like to know if this works.
The following 2 users liked this post by mferris:
KLOC (07-27-2021), vg247 (02-05-2023)
Old 02-01-2020, 10:00 AM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Mferris this largely works, but the longest mine has charged without isolating the port and stopping is 2 and a half weeks. If the car is going to be unattended for a long period of time I would go direct to the battery. The charging does seem to continue as long as the car is at a cold ambient so the battery drain is significant.

btw having the car turned on and not started because you didn’t touch the brake pedal is enough to power up the power port.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:47 AM
MaxFag
6th Gear

I checked the serial number of your battery, and I am pretty sure that it is a lead acid battery.
You will find a picture of the LFP battery in this thread (I found it after asking here):
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1165917-battery.html
Old 02-11-2020, 02:43 PM
dbrena
Rennlist Member

So, a somewhat related question for 992 owners. I store a 992 for months at a time without access to electricity. I tried to disconnect the battery with the car locked and it set off the alarm. I ended up leaving the car unlocked and disconnected the battery. Anyone know a solution to this?
Old 05-13-2021, 07:30 PM
Hormazd Dalal
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm out of town for a few days. Fairly certain the tender is plugged in but not doing anything. It worked then it didnt. So I realized the cigar port in passenger foot well was probably going to sleep. With everything plugged in, started the car and shut it off and locked it. Our ride to the airport arrived so will just have to wait until until I get back home to see what's happening. Hopefully not a downed battery. Porsche branded tender purchased from dealership recommended by Service advisor, RAS so I assume Li battery
Old 05-13-2021, 09:03 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 500 Likes on 256 Posts

Better and more reliable to hook directly to your battery, to both terminals. Get a charger that allows both lead and lithium charging and can also be used for a motorcycle.
Use a quick connect. My BMW Charger works fine with the Porsche.

the lights advance as you approach a full charge then it maintains that charge .
Old 06-07-2021, 04:28 PM
shark715
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Michigan 992
btw having the car turned on and not started because you didn’t touch the brake pedal is enough to power up the power port.
On our '21 C4S (build month February 2021) merely turning the ignition on is enough to power up the port. But it disconnects after 10-20 minutes (assumedly when the car goes to sleep). However, if I turn the ignition switch all the way to the "start" position (no need to actually start the engine, this can be avoided by NOT stepping on the brake pedal) just before connecting the my CTEK, the port does not disconnect after 10-20 minutes. In fact, 24 hours later my CTEK indicates the port is still active.

But I'm not sure what would happen if there was a power outage, or what would happen after a week or two. I've read some mention of Porsches going into what was termed a deeper sleep after a week or two.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender for 992