Sponsored by:

battery chargers

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 04:17 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default battery chargers

i'm curious to know if anyone actually uses any of these 3 chargers, or for that matter, the hideously expensive Porsche lithium battery charger? thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EUF6UM8/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y38X7WI/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071L5MBZT/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3BFK8XG0TA054&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071L5MBZT/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3BFK8XG0TA054&psc=1

thoughts & impressions appreciated

Old 01-03-2020, 04:58 AM
1RedHead
Racer

Received 302 Likes on 137 Posts

I use the CTEK Lithium one for the 992. I have other CTEK chargers for lead acid equipped cars and they have always done the job. I'll find out in three months when I return home how the Lithium one performed.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:23 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1RedHead
I use the CTEK Lithium one for the 992. I have other CTEK chargers for lead acid equipped cars and they have always done the job. I'll find out in three months when I return home how the Lithium one performed.
thank you
Old 01-03-2020, 10:10 AM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

I have the Porsche one and have had issues with it staying in charging modes hooked through the power port. This is most likely a 992 control system issue. The charger is very easy to use. It appears to be a CTEK. Since the dealer gave it to me the price couldn't be beat.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:38 PM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Michigan 992
I have the Porsche one and have had issues with it staying in charging modes hooked through the power port. This is most likely a 992 control system issue. The charger is very easy to use. It appears to be a CTEK. Since the dealer gave it to me the price couldn't be beat.
you're not alone in reporting these issues. i am leery of the ctek's for that very reason. i am wondering what all of you folks are using...maybe a viable alternative? the deltran battery tender (which is cheap!)?
Old 01-03-2020, 06:21 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Hi everyone, We generally recommend and use the CTEK Lithium model as well. Optimate also makes some great options as well. We kind of adhere to the old adage "you get what you pay for" so we tend to recommend staying away from the really cheap options. While yes, they will say they are for lithium batteries, we've come across too many instances where they were not doing what they are supposed to and failing to charge a lithium battery and maintain it properly. Another point in selecting is that we shy away from the multiple chemical composition options. Lithium Batteries need to be maintained properly and if for some reason the correct mode is not selected or internally fails to switch to the correct mode if it's automatic then you can end up with some problems and a not so happy battery so for us it's just easier to eliminate that option and go with a dedicated lithium charger. Lastly use of a charger will likely depend on your scenario....as lithium naturally discharges at a much more slower rate than lead acid it does not need to be constantly topped off and kept on a maintainer so you may not need one very often pending if you have other items installed which might create a higher than normal parasitic draw or as pointed out earlier, if the car sits for extended long periods of time, At any rate just wanted to provide our two cents on the subject and just give you some points to think about if purchasing a charger.
-Chad
chad@antigravitybatteries.com
Old 01-03-2020, 09:29 PM
1RedHead
Racer

Originally Posted by tcirillo
you're not alone in reporting these issues. i am leery of the ctek's for that very reason. i am wondering what all of you folks are using...maybe a viable alternative? the deltran battery tender (which is cheap!)?
Hard wire the included pigtail quick disconnect to the battery directly.
The following users liked this post:
Guzzgreg (07-27-2021)
Old 01-04-2020, 06:49 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Hi everyone, We generally recommend and use the CTEK Lithium model as well. Optimate also makes some great options as well. We kind of adhere to the old adage "you get what you pay for" so we tend to recommend staying away from the really cheap options. While yes, they will say they are for lithium batteries, we've come across too many instances where they were not doing what they are supposed to and failing to charge a lithium battery and maintain it properly. Another point in selecting is that we shy away from the multiple chemical composition options. Lithium Batteries need to be maintained properly and if for some reason the correct mode is not selected or internally fails to switch to the correct mode if it's automatic then you can end up with some problems and a not so happy battery so for us it's just easier to eliminate that option and go with a dedicated lithium charger. Lastly use of a charger will likely depend on your scenario....as lithium naturally discharges at a much more slower rate than lead acid it does not need to be constantly topped off and kept on a maintainer so you may not need one very often pending if you have other items installed which might create a higher than normal parasitic draw or as pointed out earlier, if the car sits for extended long periods of time, At any rate just wanted to provide our two cents on the subject and just give you some points to think about if purchasing a charger.
-Chad
chad@antigravitybatteries.com
thanks. mine stores for 6 mos at a time. i guess you're saying you're leery of the Deltran Battery Tender (i've used the lead-acid ones for yrs and yrs, no problems) which is $35!
Old 01-06-2020, 11:21 AM
mathus7
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

Does the Porsche OEM Li-Ion battery have the feature or reserve current that allows jump start without cables if battery should go dead like the ANTIGRAVITY?
Old 01-06-2020, 12:03 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

thanks. mine stores for 6 mos at a time. i guess you're saying you're leery of the Deltran Battery Tender (i've used the lead-acid ones for yrs and yrs, no problems) which is $35!
Leery would be correct For lead/acid batteries there's a constant float maintain need which those chargers generally have no problem performing but as the algorithm needed for lithium is a little different it seems that some of those cheaper options miss the mark.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:48 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

i'm curious to know if anyone actually uses any of these 3 chargers, or for that matter, the hideously expensive Porsche lithium battery charger? thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EUF6UM8/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y38X7WI/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071L5MBZT/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3BFK8XG0TA054&psc=1

has anyone had success using a cigarette lighter adaptor on the porsche or ctek chargers? if so, which adaptor has the correct plug for the charger? thanks
Old 01-12-2020, 05:54 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071L5MBZT/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3BFK8XG0TA054&psc=1

has anyone had success using a cigarette lighter adaptor on the porsche or ctek chargers? if so, which adaptor has the correct plug for the charger? thanks
in another thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7531...harging-2.html) there seems to be much confusion about doing this...caused by conflicting thoughts about whether the cigarette lighter plug in the footwell does or does not get disabled after 30 minutes (vs the smoker package outlet). has anyone had direct experience with this on the 992? i'm looking to use the footwell outlet for long-term smart-charging of the lithium battery.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:16 AM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

It is the footwell power port that seems to shut off within a week of starting charging. For long term unattended storage do not use it. This is from my 992 experience. I would wire straight to the battery and use a CTEK or Porsche Li charger.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michigan 992:
1RedHead (01-12-2020), tcirillo (01-13-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 11:36 AM
BDubes
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 992.C4S Battery Tender

Has anybody permanently wired a harness into a new 992 so you can simply leave it hanging in the boot and quickly connect the Charge-o-mat Pro rather than removing the plastic liner that covers the battery compartment and using the alligator clips that Porsche sells as an accessory for this charger? Porsche recommends attaching the alligator clamps - 1 to positive and the negative to the grounding point for the vehicle in the battery access compartment. I would assume by making a harness that permanently connects to the positive terminal and the grounding point wouldn't do any harm to the electrical system as it wont be doing anything unless the battery tender is hooked to the harness and active. any thoughts? thanks
Old 01-12-2020, 09:51 PM
1RedHead
Racer

Originally Posted by BDubes
Has anybody permanently wired a harness into a new 992 so you can simply leave it hanging in the boot and quickly connect the Charge-o-mat Pro rather than removing the plastic liner that covers the battery compartment and using the alligator clips that Porsche sells as an accessory for this charger? Porsche recommends attaching the alligator clamps - 1 to positive and the negative to the grounding point for the vehicle in the battery access compartment. I would assume by making a harness that permanently connects to the positive terminal and the grounding point wouldn't do any harm to the electrical system as it wont be doing anything unless the battery tender is hooked to the harness and active. any thoughts? thanks

The following 2 users liked this post by 1RedHead:
Cyberzolot (03-01-2020), tcirillo (01-14-2020)

Quick Reply: battery chargers