Sponsored by:

992 Winter Wheels/Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 12:22 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,976 Likes on 2,950 Posts

I've done separate winter wheel sets for my sports cars for about 25 years. There are quite a few benefits.
  • Having a separate set of wheels makes the twice a year swap easy and/or cheap.
  • You can run different sizes for the winter to give you a little more sidewall -- some cars benefit from a narrower setup as well.
  • Running with different offsets in the winter can help keep the winter road debris within the wheel wells.
  • Wheels can get a bit more abuse in the winter and in some cases, can be sacrificial.
  • If you find moving your wheel sets around to be a hassle, most shops will offer to store your wheels for the season at a modest/no cost.
  • Swapping tires on/off the same rims isn't great for the tire and increases the likelihood of some cosmetic damage to your rims -- a dedicated winter wheel set avoids these issues.
  • You've got an emergency set of wheels/tires in the event you get an unrepairable flat and a replacement isn't readily available -- a very real issue with the supply chain times that we live in.
  • If you opted for Porsche's wheel/tire insurance, it applies to both sets of wheels/tires.
When you price out the cost of tires for our 992s, the Porsche Wheel sets are actually a good deal, because you can't buy the rims separately for what Porsche is charging. Plus, the winter wheels have different offsets to help keep that winter debris in the wheel wells. IMHO. It's money better spent than mounting/balancing your wheels twice a year, which will exceed the cost of the Porsche winter wheel set after 2-3 swaps.

With plummeting temperatures, I am doing my winter wheel swap tomorrow. My 992 is going in for its third scheduled service and it makes sense to take care of it one shot. This will be my 5th seasonal wheel swap on this car.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:41 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I've done separate winter wheel sets for my sports cars for about 25 years. There are quite a few benefits.
  • Having a separate set of wheels makes the twice a year swap easy and/or cheap. agreed
  • You can run different sizes for the winter to give you a little more sidewall -- some cars benefit from a narrower setup as well. for sure
  • Running with different offsets in the winter can help keep the winter road debris within the wheel wells.
  • Wheels can get a bit more abuse in the winter and in some cases, can be sacrificial. agreed
  • If you find moving your wheel sets around to be a hassle, most shops will offer to store your wheels for the season at a modest/no cost. hmm. it can be quite the hassle for a whole set lugging them up and down.
  • Swapping tires on/off the same rims isn't great for the tire and increases the likelihood of some cosmetic damage to your rims -- a dedicated winter wheel set avoids these issues. if you have the Porsche coverage and the dealer does it, should not be an issue, except possibly for the tire aspect.
  • You've got an emergency set of wheels/tires in the event you get an unrepairable flat and a replacement isn't readily available -- a very real issue with the supply chain times that we live in. quite true.
  • If you opted for Porsche's wheel/tire insurance, it applies to both sets of wheels/tires. hmm. I did opt for it but only got winter tires, not wheels.
When you price out the cost of tires for our 992s, the Porsche Wheel sets are actually a good deal, because you can't buy the rims separately for what Porsche is charging. Plus, the winter wheels have different offsets to help keep that winter debris in the wheel wells. IMHO. It's money better spent than mounting/balancing your wheels twice a year, which will exceed the cost of the Porsche winter wheel set after 2-3 swaps.

With plummeting temperatures, I am doing my winter wheel swap tomorrow. My 992 is going in for its third scheduled service and it makes sense to take care of it one shot. This will be my 5th seasonal wheel swap on this car.
Not sure about the 2-3 swaps. Winter tires were $1920 installed w. tax. Porsche charges over $4k (probably close to $5k with tax, etc.) for the 19/20 set, and $6k after tax for the 20/21 Carrera S wheel set. That is $3000-4000 over and above my tires. The $1920 included install. It will be $200 to swap the summers back on at the dealer. It would take me 7.5 years (15 swaps starting in 2022 spring) to spend $3k swapping. 10 years if you are opting for the more expensive set. And by then you would need to replace your tires regardless of which route you go.

Now I have always done the full set such as yourself dating back to 2001. 20 years. But for these I opted for just tires. So we will see how that turns out. But I don't think it really is cheaper to get the other set in this instance.

But I am also using the dealer for the swaps and have the tire and rim coverage from my purchase, so hopefully that covers me on all points.

Last edited by 3rdpedal; 10-19-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:45 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doug_999
I think that
a) my dealer quoted me the 305s in the rear which are considerably ($200+ each) more expensive. I didn't know about the 295s and he didn't tell me that was an option (well I knew, but didn't think they were the right size)
b) your dealer did all the work for about $228 - which is unheard of and you are VERY lucky. The dealer I ended up getting my snow wheel/tire set from wanted $249 just to swap them! And that's just taking four wheels off and putting four wheels on! You got yours installed and balanced for $228!!! Amazing.
c) your dealer rocks
They told me $200 each spring/fall to remove the tires and mount/balance the other set. $400 annual cost.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:05 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Not sure about the 2-3 swaps. Winter tires were $1920 installed w. tax. Porsche charges over $4k (probably close to $5k with tax, etc.) for the 19/20 set, and $6k after tax for the 20/21 Carrera S wheel set. That is $3000-4000 over and above my tires. The $1920 included install. It will be $200 to swap the summers back on at the dealer. It would take me 7.5 years (15 swaps starting in 2022 spring) to spend $3k swapping. 10 years if you are opting for the more expensive set. And by then you would need to replace your tires regardless of which route you go.

Now I have always done the full set such as yourself dating back to 2001. 20 years. But for these I opted for just tires. So we will see how that turns out. But I don't think it really is cheaper to get the other set in this instance.

But I am also using the dealer for the swaps and have the tire and rim coverage from my purchase, so hopefully that covers me on all points.
With tax, I paid well under $4k for my 19/20 winter wheel set. I bought the set from the dealer where I purchased the car and the SA gave me a very nice discount without even asking. During the spring and summer, Suncoast also runs discounts on the winter wheel sets. That's the time of the year to buy them.

If your Porsche dealer is only charging you $50/wheel for mount and balance, that's a pretty good deal and a good bit cheaper than what others are paying. If you're not OCD about weight marks/scratches and comfortable with your wheels seeing the winter road hazards, sure. Even at your mount/balance pricing, I'm break even by my spring swap and have a complete extra set of wheels to show for it.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:17 PM
macgom
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I spent over 6000 for the Carrera S winter wheel set in black.
Several reasons I went this route.
1. I could not find snow tires NOW and it was mid October. With a concern for possible snow in early November, I was in rush.
2. Carrying all 4 tires to dealer or Costco 2 times per year to swap out, pay for the swap job, wait, carrying them back, etc... was a bit of hassle.
3. I think that I can always resell the winter wheel set if I need to.

BTW, do most of you guys do the wheel swap at the dealer? Any reason for this?
I was planning to do is by myself unless I'm missing out something.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 01:20 PM
twin_turbo
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

$400/swap $800/year? My dealer quoted me $200/swap or $400/year. At the dealer!

Got Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 winters put on my 20/21 Carrera Classics today by the dealer. $339 each for the fronts 245/35/R20. $447 each for the rears 295/30/R21. With install and tax it came to $1920. $120 of that was tax.
You must have ordered at the perfect time. I inquired about Michelin snows last Thursday and was told by Prestige that the Michelin rear tires were on backorder. Parts is getting me Conti's instead. Definitely prefer the Michelins although the reviews for the Conti's were not bad.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:33 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Originally Posted by macgom
I spent over 6000 for the Carrera S winter wheel set in black.
Several reasons I went this route.
1. I could not find snow tires NOW and it was mid October. With a concern for possible snow in early November, I was in rush.
2. Carrying all 4 tires to dealer or Costco 2 times per year to swap out, pay for the swap job, wait, carrying them back, etc... was a bit of hassle.
3. I think that I can always resell the winter wheel set if I need to.

BTW, do most of you guys do the wheel swap at the dealer? Any reason for this?
I was planning to do is by myself unless I'm missing out something.
Are you kidding? Why would you go to the dealer (for anything) to change tires???????????????????? If for some reason you can't (physically or other) do it yourself, tire shops will do the swap for at least half the price. Here for example they charge $80 bucks mounted and balanced; dealer last and only time I did that charged exactly double. If you can't store your tires for space reasons, several shops will offer, for a nominal fee, to store your tires on a yearly basis. Lastly doing it yourself, you do it when you have time and don't waste 4 hours each time waiting.

I'm 71 and do all my vehicles, oil/fluid etc. changes twice a year as well as all other work. If there's stuff (like recently replaced a faulty rear tail light on the wife's Macan, or doing an SRI on a friend's Q7) where a lift is more convenient, I have friend with a garage I can borrow time on his ramp after hours. So to answer your question, the only thing you'll miss by going to the dealer is your $$$

siberian
detansinn (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 02:12 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 810 Likes on 414 Posts

They told me $200 each spring/fall to remove the tires and mount/balance the other set. $400 annual cost.
I have to ask.... where are you located? Cause I think I'm moving there.

Of note - for others, my 19/20 winter wheel setup was $4,000 (a $500 discount) plus tax and... of course THE DAMN CENTER CAPS THAT ARE NOT INCLUDED. So I think I'm at $4,500 all in on my winter set.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:49 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Why would you want to buy spare center caps??????????????????? you can only use 4 tires at one time. Reuse the ones from the wheels you just took off ...

siberian
Old 10-19-2021, 03:06 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 810 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Why would you want to buy spare center caps??????????????????? you can only use 4 tires at one time. Reuse the ones from the wheels you just took off ...

siberian
Ha! If only Porsche made it that simple. I have my RS Wheels, I have my Carrera Classic Wheels, and now I have my 19/20 winter set. EACH of these wheels uses a different center cap. I suspect Porsche has like 12 different versions - just for the 911.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/992CCAPS.html
Old 10-19-2021, 03:20 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Talk about a cash cow. I was always able to swap center caps on my other vehicles as to my 20/21" OZ winter rims they came with the center caps, but they look the same as my spider OEM center caps. Wow, learn something every day, thanks for setting me straight!

siberian
doug_999 (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 04:57 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by twin_turbo
You must have ordered at the perfect time. I inquired about Michelin snows last Thursday and was told by Prestige that the Michelin rear tires were on backorder. Parts is getting me Conti's instead. Definitely prefer the Michelins although the reviews for the Conti's were not bad.
I called I think on the 4th to get the appointment for the 15th. Prestige. They told me the pricing on both sets, the Michelin was $200 more overall. And he said the rears were not in stock. I told I wanted the Michelins, especially at only that price delta, and he said he'd let me know if they had to push back my appointment. When I called on the 13th to confirm, the rears had come in and we were good to go. I guess I got lucky. I was worried I had waited too late.

Originally Posted by doug_999
I have to ask.... where are you located? Cause I think I'm moving there.
Denver.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:10 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by siberian

siberian
My wheel sets are different colors. So, I needed to get another set.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
lucycan (10-19-2021), siberian (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 05:14 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

OMG........ the "horror of it all" (extra credit for those who can name the movie)

siberian
Old 10-19-2021, 05:37 PM
gjarvie
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just debating ordering these as well. How do you like them? I've seen in other post about the warranty potentially being void. Have you heard anything from Porsche about this? I sent them a message but didn't hear back yet. The rolling diameters are under 1% different vs stock but who knows what Porsche's official policy is.

Siberian
Sorry for butting in , mine are 245/35R-20 and 295/30R-21 on OZ Leggera HLT GLS Black rims. Will be putting them on next month when I do my winter changeover and services on all my vehicles.

siberian

Last edited by gjarvie; 10-19-2021 at 05:39 PM. Reason: did not link

Quick Reply: 992 Winter Wheels/Tires