Sponsored by:

What did you buy your 992 today thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 03:58 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Rings
Swapped out my soul exhaust for Akrapovic, installed new do88 turbo inlet pipes and a new CSF intercooler.

this thing screams with my M-Engineering Tune!!

why did you swap Soul for Akro? What is your impression? Do you have any plans to do a quarter mile run? I’m really interested to see what the tuned and intercooler mod does for trap speed.
Old 09-11-2022, 07:15 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ E
I've owned the cannon from Addams and Chemical guys. The best deal is ........ The one from Harbor Freight!! LOL It's true!
They probably all come out of the same line and get a different sticker at the end.
The following users liked this post:
kgs365 (09-12-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 08:18 PM
4 Rings
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
why did you swap Soul for Akro? What is your impression? Do you have any plans to do a quarter mile run? I’m really interested to see what the tuned and intercooler mod does for trap speed.
Soul was a much deeper tone than the Akrapovic. The Akrapovic is a much more traditional titanium sound. I also am running soul cat less link pipes paired to the Akra so above 3k rpm’s it screams.

Inital impressions- i sort of miss the deeper tone of the soul but the Akrapovic above 3k just is amazing in the pitch in its own right.

I have no plans of doing any 1/4 mi runs, as its a MT I did not buy it to drag and not looking to replace clutches anytime soon.

What I will say is their is a noticeable continued stronger pull on the highway when im deep in the the rev range when im doing longer highway driving.

I do lots of rallies and wanted something that helped keep IAT lower for continued performance and safety since im in Texas.

Last edited by 4 Rings; 09-11-2022 at 08:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Rings:
911Gr8tness (09-11-2022), 991.1 Guy (09-12-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 08:47 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Soul was a much deeper tone than the Akrapovic. The Akrapovic is a much more traditional titanium sound. I also am running soul cat less link pipes paired to the Akra so above 3k rpm’s it screams.

Inital impressions- i sort of miss the deeper tone of the soul but the Akrapovic above 3k just is amazing in the pitch in its own right.

I have no plans of doing any 1/4 mi runs, as its a MT I did not buy it to drag and not looking to replace clutches anytime soon.

What I will say is their is a noticeable continued stronger pull on the highway when im deep in the the rev range when im doing longer highway driving.

I do lots of rallies and wanted something that helped keep IAT lower for continued performance and safety since im in Texas.
How difficult was it to exchange the intercooler (hours of labor?) and any feedback on the do88 pipes? On screaming - I assume you have the valves programmed to be 100% open? On my valved IPE exhaust coldstart is quite loud and if that how it would be with valves open all the time it would be too much for my taste.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:06 PM
4 Rings
Racer

Once you have the bumper off (30 minutes), it took about 2 hours of labor to remove the old
IC and Install the CSF. It’s actually super simple on a scale 1-10 I’d put it at a 2.

BUT- I had an issue with my CSF. They only have one model for the carrera CSF-8217. My vehicle does not have the sound symposer. The CSF intercooler they shipped was designed for one that had a sound symposer. The sound symposer connects to the neck of the factory IC. So I had a new IC that had holes in it for a system my vehicle did NOT have.

after a few phone calls/texts with CSF they claimed I was the second person to have this issue(first was a GTS). So now they knew the issue went past the GTS model line.

the IC is actually 2 pieces, the IC and the neck that bolts to it which attaches to our cars.

They shipped me out a turbo/turbo S neck overnight and Saturday delivery.

once I bolted up the turbo/turbo S neck to the IC everything fit.

so it took me 2 hours of actual labor but 48 hours of calls to get it resolved.

they are aware of the “issue” if you can call it an issue.

only thing I see that will be an issue is determining which vehicles have the sound symposer and which don’t as the only way to tell is to actually tear into the car as you can’t see it without removing the spoiler.

it was what I felt a honest unknown mistake, they resolved the issue and even threw me some passes to SEMA for my troubles and working with them on this.

The do88 turbo inlet pipes are fantastic, quicker turbo spoil and I swear the turbo noise is much louder. I’d highly recommend them.

Stock neck with No sound symposer (holes were blocked off)

CSF IC (carrera) had holes for sound symposer

CSF turbo/turbo S neck. Had holes for meth injection but plug with pipe fittings

Last edited by 4 Rings; 09-11-2022 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:45 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Once you have the bumper off (30 minutes), it took about 2 hours of labor to remove the old
IC and Install the CSF. It’s actually super simple on a scale 1-10 I’d put it at a 2.

BUT- I had an issue with my CSF. They only have one model for the carrera CSF-8217. My vehicle does not have the sound symposer. The CSF intercooler they shipped was designed for one that had a sound symposer. The sound symposer connects to the neck of the factory IC. So I had a new IC that had holes in it for a system my vehicle did NOT have.

after a few phone calls/texts with CSF they claimed I was the second person to have this issue(first was a GTS). So now they knew the issue went past the GTS model line.

the IC is actually 2 pieces, the IC and the neck that bolts to it which attaches to our cars.

They shipped me out a turbo/turbo S neck overnight and Saturday delivery.

once I bolted up the turbo/turbo S neck to the IC everything fit.

so it took me 2 hours of actual labor but 48 hours of calls to get it resolved.

they are aware of the “issue” if you can call it an issue.

only thing I see that will be an issue is determining which vehicles have the sound symposer and which don’t as the only way to tell is to actually tear into the car as you can’t see it without removing the spoiler.

it was what I felt a honest unknown mistake, they resolved the issue and even threw me some passes to SEMA for my troubles and working with them on this.

The do88 turbo inlet pipes are fantastic, quicker turbo spoil and I swear the turbo noise is much louder. I’d highly recommend them.

Stock neck with No sound symposer (holes were blocked off)

CSF IC (carrera) had holes for sound symposer

CSF turbo/turbo S neck. Had holes for meth injection but plug with pipe fittings
Thanks for the description. I don't see the outlets for the sumposer on the turbo neck?I guess I have a hard time visualizing w/o seeing it myself. Btw, what does that symposer do anyways? Weird that some don't have it..Ike random.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:58 PM
4 Rings
Racer

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Thanks for the description. I don't see the outlets for the sumposer on the turbo neck?I guess I have a hard time visualizing w/o seeing it myself. Btw, what does that symposer do anyways? Weird that some don't have it..Ike random.
look at the image I just posted with the factory black plastic neck. The round port thats on mine is blocked off. That port is actually on both sides of the neck, If you had it on your vehicle the symposer would of hooked up to these ports. In mine they were plugged and I had no symposer.

Last edited by 4 Rings; 09-11-2022 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:05 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

look at the image I just posted with the factory black plastic neck. The round port thats on mine is blocked off. That port is actually on both sides of the neck, If you had it on your vehicle the symposer would of hooked up to these ports. In mine they were plugged and I had no symposer.

Thanks. So, these two outlets are plugged in your plastic OEM. Now where does this now connect to from the turbo neck to where? I thought the symposer just channels some engine sound to cabin but did not know it's connected to the neck of the intercooler?!
Old 09-12-2022, 03:55 AM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 209 Posts

Swapped out my soul exhaust for Akrapovic, installed new do88 turbo inlet pipes and a new CSF intercooler.

looks great, did you install the plenum upgrade while you were in there? Plan on doing the rest of the Intercooler piping?
Old 09-12-2022, 03:56 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Finally bought a foam cannon to try it out. Worked well. "Practiced" on my wife's A6.I know I should have waited until the car was in the shade, but I was anxious to try it out and had other stuff to do that day. Components all fit in the drawer of this HF work cart. Pretty impressed. Once I got set up, took less than 20" to wash and dry her car with CR Spotless and electric blower/microfiber towels.
What is your experience with the CR Spotless like? I keep thinking I'd like to add that.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:56 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
What is your experience with the CR Spotless like? I keep thinking I'd like to add that.
It seems to work ok but I’ve worried less and less about it since going full PPF on the last two 911s. Wash, rinse, use electric leaf blower and finish up with fresh microfiber towels. Plus, Aventurine Green really disguises dirt fairly well. I’m less compulsive than I used to be and would even take my 991.2 C4 cab through a touch less car wash in winter once or twice a winter.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:52 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,648 Likes on 1,247 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I considered that, but I've been using a plastic Bug Sprayer and filling it with distilled water from Target as my final rinse. This has worked extremely well for me . . . . and it's cheap! It takes about 2-3 gallons of distilled water at $0.89/Gallon.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 09-12-2022 at 05:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Soul Performance (09-13-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 05:55 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

CR spotless works great but it isn’t cheap. Probably $3 per gal
Old 09-16-2022, 10:29 AM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

What size do88 pipes did you use, OE size or do88 size with th csf? They list 2 sizes? Tks
Old 09-16-2022, 11:32 AM
4 Rings
Racer

Originally Posted by westsiderkg
What size do88 pipes did you use, OE size or do88 size with th csf? They list 2 sizes? Tks
I only replaced the turbo inlet pipes (intake filters to turbo). I kept the factory IC hoses on the CSF IC

Quick Reply: What did you buy your 992 today thread