Sponsored by:

What did you buy your 992 today thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 08:39 AM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ No, my point is that APR offers to take over manufacturer’s warranty with their tune, nobody else is offering that.

So that gives them a huge advantage.

However, they won’t offer it if you have a catted downpipe (like sport cats), but they will if you have a catback exhaust but haven’t touched the emissions device.

That being the case, I have sport cats (and will soon have a whole new exhaust) so M Engineering is a better fit for me than APR because they offer so much more, and I threaten my warranty either way

Just playing devils advocate here, but I would like to see proof that APR paid a costly warranty claim. Claiming to do and actually doing are at polar ends of the spectrum. Would they really take care of someone with a grenaded drivetrain....ehhhhhh, IDK??? I wouldn't be shocked if they never paid a single claim, but I could be wrong. This is all hearsay without any proof.

Dear APR...how about starting a thread listing how many of your claims you have actually paid out, and amounts you paid in covered warranties vs actual Porsche dealership repair costs, to give your customers peace of mind? I foresee crickets in the future....

Note - nothing against APR....I just always question warranties on any large purchase since in my lifetime...nearly every company I've purchased from (appliances, contractors, home warranties, etc.) finds a way to cut a corner or opt out...more of a marketing ploy than taking care of customers when the real issues present themselves.

Last edited by westsiderkg; 02-04-2022 at 08:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kgs365 (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 09:24 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by westsiderkg
Dear APR...how about starting a thread listing how many of your claims you have actually paid out, and amounts you paid in covered warranties vs actual Porsche dealership repair costs, to give your customers peace of mind? I foresee crickets in the future....
In fairness, this is like asking a guy when he stopped beating his wife. If they have never paid a major claim, then we challenge the value of the warranty. But if they have paid a bunch of claims, that is probably worse!. I would want them to never have had to pay a major claim as I am much more interested in a problem free tune over one that destroys my car - even if APR paid the claim. Now, I totally agree with you that a warranty or insurance without a track record of claims paid is of questionable value. What would really be informative is information about claims made and which were paid. However, unless that answer is "we have never had anyone make a claim", there is no way to expect APR to come here and post that information.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drew46:
Skarz (02-04-2022), Tupper (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 01:15 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,548 Likes on 961 Posts

Just playing devils advocate here, but I would like to see proof that APR paid a costly warranty claim. Claiming to do and actually doing are at polar ends of the spectrum. Would they really take care of someone with a grenaded drivetrain....ehhhhhh, IDK??? I wouldn't be shocked if they never paid a single claim, but I could be wrong. This is all hearsay without any proof.

Note - nothing against APR....I just always question warranties on any large purchase since in my lifetime...nearly every company I've purchased from (appliances, contractors, home warranties, etc.) finds a way to cut a corner or opt out...more of a marketing ploy than taking care of customers when the real issues present themselves.
Thanks for posting as I have the same questions. I am interested in a 992S tune and sport cats but my biggest concern is issues it causes with the factory warranty. Glad to see APR stepped up to the plate and would like more info.
Old 02-04-2022, 01:32 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,993 Likes on 810 Posts

How many people have actually blown up their motors with a tune? I haven't perused the 991 forum much and the tune is way too new on the 992 platform for much meaningful data, but if people with an APR tune blew up their motor, I would think they may share that info? How do we even know that there have been people with blown motors using an APR tune? If they know what they're doing, the tunes should be extremely safe with an almost zero percent chance of blowing up the engine. Not to say it can't happen as even stock motors have blown up. But to ask APR to list how many claims they've actually paid implies there are more than a few motors blowing up after applying an APR tune... and that seems highly unlikely as we would all be hearing about it and customers would be complaining... or if they paid, customers would be raving about their great warranty and service.
Old 02-04-2022, 04:00 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,620 Likes on 820 Posts

My new Soul performance nonvalved street exhaust is here and ready to go.

They now sit in the basement with my new Michelins, waiting till March for installation
The following 5 users liked this post by Tupper:
Ah10 (02-16-2022), AlterZgo (02-04-2022), mattchow (02-04-2022), mdrobc1213 (02-21-2022), tourenwagen (02-14-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 05:43 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,548 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
How many people have actually blown up their motors with a tune? I haven't perused the 991 forum much and the tune is way too new on the 992 platform for much meaningful data, but if people with an APR tune blew up their motor, I would think they may share that info? How do we even know that there have been people with blown motors using an APR tune? If they know what they're doing, the tunes should be extremely safe with an almost zero percent chance of blowing up the engine. Not to say it can't happen as even stock motors have blown up. But to ask APR to list how many claims they've actually paid implies there are more than a few motors blowing up after applying an APR tune... and that seems highly unlikely as we would all be hearing about it and customers would be complaining... or if they paid, customers would be raving about their great warranty and service.
My question is more directed at Porsche than APR. How many warranty claims has Porsche denied because of a tune or sport cat? Porsche has thousands of engineers employed. I am certain it can find one with an impressive resume to say the tune was a substantial contributing factor causing the failure at the base of a major warranty claim. While I might ultimately win the argument, I still need to hire attorneys and engineers to fight the claim with Porsche. The process is the punishment. APR’s gap warranty appears to fix that issue but how common does it occur? I thank and appreciate APR having the foresight to address this concern with a gap warranty.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:15 PM
JL_
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Installed the carbon fiber chrono housing and center dash. The team over at DB Carbon -- awesome work guys!

The following 4 users liked this post by JL_:
mdrobc1213 (02-21-2022), Moosedoc (02-15-2022), oneof5 (02-17-2022), RolandT (02-20-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 05:41 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by JL_
Installed the carbon fiber chrono housing and center dash. The team over at DB Carbon -- awesome work guys!
That is very cool! How hard was the install?
Old 02-15-2022, 10:07 PM
JL_
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

@markchristenson Pretty simple install with interior panel removal tools. The chrono is a single plug that 'screws' onto the housing.
oneof5 (02-17-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 12:27 AM
Reata1
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 55 Posts

Total noob, ordered the clear corner lights for mine today from SunCoast.
Moosedoc (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 12:03 PM
kgs365
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 81 Posts
Default I wasn’t going to but….

The first time I fueled up the cap felt like a let down (shallow owner) …plus it was on sale at suncoast...went for a drive this old style cap works ...no dash lights and it looked like the one taken off

Last edited by kgs365; 02-20-2022 at 12:06 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by kgs365:
detansinn (02-20-2022), Flashart (02-20-2022), robert310 (04-06-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 12:17 PM
InTheClouds
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by kgs365
The first time I fueled up the cap felt like a let down (shallow owner) …plus it was on sale at suncoast...went for a drive this old style cap works ...no dash lights and it looked like the one taken off
I thought the 992’s upgraded gas cap was two tone? (I was contemplating getting one as well)

Is the full silver gas cap model what you received when you selected the 911 option on this Suncoast page? https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/skuexccap.html
kgs365 (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 12:26 PM
kgs365
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 81 Posts

I think the new style is the black and silver ...I went with the old school silver as I have the silver trim around the windows ...the one you showed on the suncoast site is the new one....I bought this one at 1/2 that price
Old 02-20-2022, 03:09 PM
passat774
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JL_
@markchristenson Pretty simple install with interior panel removal tools. The chrono is a single plug that 'screws' onto the housing.
I was able to get the front section out pretty easily but the part closest to the windshield would not budge, do you have any tips or suggestions?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2022, 06:38 PM
xs2k
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cg760
winter wheels

Did you have to use any rubber pucks or blocks with this quick jack?

Quick Reply: What did you buy your 992 today thread