Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CARB State Status

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 08:21 PM
AFis
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Asked my SA, and he had no new info. He sent me copy of what his dealer screen show for tracking, and Expected Date given in now Sep 27, where Planned Date was Aug 9. Like many of you, it's been a tough wait for many weeks now, with lack of news making it more difficult. Fingers crossed for next week.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:36 PM
jperlinsky
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AFis
Asked my SA, and he had no new info. He sent me copy of what his dealer screen show for tracking, and Expected Date given in now Sep 27, where Planned Date was Aug 9. Like many of you, it's been a tough wait for many weeks now, with lack of news making it more difficult. Fingers crossed for next week.
What state are you in?
Old 09-20-2019, 08:37 PM
AFis
Intermediate

CA
Old 09-20-2019, 11:38 PM
mathus7
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Local dealer called PorscheNA and they knew of no approval. In Oregon and EXIT PORT has gone from 9/27 to 10/4 for a car in port in CA since early June. No news is very frustrating. Does anyone know anything????
Old 09-21-2019, 08:04 AM
authorack
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No news

I’m talking to my SA every other day. He’s been very good about keeping expectations realistic. Basically nothing’s going to happen this weekend, but we’re day to day at this point. I’m in NJ.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:47 PM
markmich
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Called CARB Today

I called CARB in California today regarding the status of the 992 2020 911. They said that the status of not yet approved vehicles is private and not available to the public.

However they indicated that the manufacturer, in this case. Porsche, has direct access with people within CARB that they can contact at any time to determine the status of a particular car’s review. The manufacturer is then free to share that information with its dealers and their customers if they choose.

Hopefully someone inside the Porsche organization will begin more frequent communications with their dealers and their customers with the exact status of their cars review with a little more transparency and specificity.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:51 PM
AFis
Intermediate

I've written several times to Porsche NA through their online portal. The short of it is, they provided NO information and, instead, pointed me to my dealer. Dealers, who are all independent of Porsche, don't have any information as they too depend on PCNA to provide updates. When pressed, Porsche NA states that they are not late. Hard to believe when probably hundreds of cars, equivalent to 6-8 weeks or more of production, continue to pile at the ports and held under "port handling - administrative hold" waiting CARB clearance. Grateful if anyone with a more direct link to Porsche NA can share or find out any added info.
The following 2 users liked this post by AFis:
got2go (09-23-2019), mathus7 (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 02:23 PM
markmich
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Called CARB Today

You are absolutely correct. The dealers are dependent on Porsche giving them accurate and contemporaneous updating. Whether Porsche considers the approval process timely or not really isn’t the issue. Many loyal Porsche owners with orders for the 992 deserve to be fully advised as the the progress of this cars approval status and not left hanging on for mere morsels of ambiguous information. Are there problems getting this model approved? If so, what are the issues? How many more days, weeks or months do they anticipate this process to take?
Old 09-23-2019, 02:29 PM
Ms95207x
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts

PCNA wrote an email to the dealerships in CARB states late Friday expressing their surprise and disappointment that approval wasn’t received on Friday. They stated that CARB approval is expected any day and certainly by month end. While I agree that communication could be better, Porsche has no control over CARB.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:39 PM
mathus7
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

I pre-order many expensive products (cameras, electronics, etc) not in the same league as a $ 150k Porsche. Delays are often experienced but I re-call no instances where the manufacturer has not issued an apology, explanation of delay and expectation of delivery. Originally the Porsche Order Status Report indicated a delivery date of July 13 for order placed in early January. The dealer advised at the time that a more realistic expectation was late August/early September. The Porsche date changed to Setember 13 sometime in April and has had three delays posted in past three weeks. The only explanation I can get is "waiting for CARB approval". EPA approval seems to have been in late August with detailed emission results published. Do these results meet CARB requirements? It has now been nearly one month since EPA approval and these results not certified by CARB.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:46 PM
AFis
Intermediate

Think we all understand that Porsche has no control over CARB or any government mandated approvals. We can all sympathize with governmental red-tape (assuming that's what it is). The issue here is honest, straightforward COMMUNICATION, which goes a long way in managing expectations on anxiously awaited pre-sold cars. Stonewalling - including their own dealers! - is not a good defense for Porsche, and only leads me to believe there is arrogance in their need to communicate, and / or incompetence in being proactive in getting this process handled on a more timely manner. Does Dieselgate come to mind?

How much nicer it would be if Porsche simply said, "sorry, this is where we are, this is what we're doing to overcome any objections (including recalls?), and we're definitely doing all we can to get this handled knowing how excited, and the many months you've waited to receive your new cars," or some such thing? Hell, why not throw in a Porsche hat as a token gesture? Sorry, but after 33 years, and many 911's, of being a brand loyalist, not pleased with how corporate is handling communication.
The following 2 users liked this post by AFis:
JRoach (09-23-2019), mathus7 (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 07:29 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Once Porsche has supplied all of the required info CARB is on a fixed clock for how long they can take with the approval process. Porsche has complete control over when they answer CARB’s questions and start the clock. If they are saying otherwise they are not being honest.

Their communication to the dealers regarding the EPA status was much less than truthful. This past week they lied repeatedly about having shipped my car to the dealer for pickup. Only after the car didn’t arrive did they admit they had slipped delivery again to some time in October. For a week they said they shipped it!

The cars will arrive when they do and I don’t think anybody that we can reach in the US knows the when.
The following users liked this post:
AFis (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 08:28 PM
AFis
Intermediate

The following was sent from Porsche NA to its dealers:

“Please note that the on sale date for the CARB state 992’s has been pushed back to October 1st. Not ideal, but you can use this info to speak to your customers.”

Assuming Porsche is on the up and up (forgive the skepticism as this the the 5th time my delivery date has been pushed), and they indeed have CARB certification (assuming that is the only holdup and not a recall or?), then cars will make their way to dealers and from there to us for delivery after October 10th.

Given that all these cars are customer orders / pre-sold, certainly would be nice if Porsche NA made some sort of financial gesture as a “Thank You” for your continued loyalty and patience, and regret for any inconvenience these endless delays have caused.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:31 PM
jperlinsky
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AFis
The following was sent from Porsche NA to its dealers:

“Please note that the on sale date for the CARB state 992’s has been pushed back to October 1st. Not ideal, but you can use this info to speak to your customers.”

Assuming Porsche is on the up and up (forgive the skepticism as this the the 5th time my delivery date has been pushed), and they indeed have CARB certification (assuming that is the only holdup and not a recall or?), then cars will make their way to dealers and from there to us for delivery after October 10th.

Given that all these cars are customer orders / pre-sold, certainly would be nice if Porsche NA made some sort of financial gesture as a “Thank You” for your continued loyalty and patience, and regret for any inconvenience these endless delays have caused.
If the on sale date is 10/1, why wouldn’t that mean cars are actually available at the dealer on 10/1?
Old 09-23-2019, 08:41 PM
AFis
Intermediate

According to my dealer, the 10/1 date is the "release for transport" (after CARB). They then have to truck cars out to dealers and all the rest, and my SA said that would take 5-10 days even with cars being at the Port of San Diego and dealer in Los Angeles. Disappointing to say the least.

Quick Reply: CARB State Status