Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CARB State Status

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 07:13 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,297 Likes on 650 Posts

Why do red 992s look so good? Can't figure out why I didn't love red on the 991 but on the 992 it looks great to my eye.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:38 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
Why do red 992s look so good? Can't figure out why I didn't love red on the 991 but on the 992 it looks great to my eye.
It definitely pops among the lineup there

Last edited by jkautz; 09-30-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:02 PM
NigelPlays
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jperlinsky
For those held up for a software update, what could be taking so long? Does anyone else think something else is going on here?

Like the cars came from Area 51 or something?
Old 09-30-2019, 08:16 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

I went to the Beverly Hills dealer on Saturday for a bit to check them out, they had two cabs out, one being washed, a GT Silver coupe and a Gentian Blue coupe. The guy I spoke to said most were sold, but at least one was available and described it as a "frenzy". I hadn't seen a 992 in person, but I was really really impressed. The lines look even better than the 991, on the coupes anyway (not a cab fan), and the sport exhaust pipes looked better in person than in photos. Inside, Gentian Blue looked incredible, but outside I wasn't as impressed. Weird how that works.

For all the comments about the interior, I thought it looked fantastic inside, and the materials seemed very high quality as well. Few downsides, it definitely felt bigger, the seats felt a little wider and there seemed to generally be just a little more room overall. The gear selector thing is TINY. I didn't fully realize how tiny it is, but it is tiny. The design of it is actually very nice and fits with the interior, but it should be bigger. The glossy black plastic trim in the center console is odd too, it just sits there...I don't get it. Definitely not dealbreakers but weird. This car had the GT steering wheel, which looks and feels fantastic, but I didn't move it around to see if it would block the outside screens from my perfect seating position. Still can't get over that in a car with a $140k sticker that's literally a road focused convertible, you don't get full power seats. They were comfortable, but man...sliding backwards in a 140k car is just ridiculous.

Lots of positives though, I got back in my 2018 Carrera T and it immediately felt dated. Still beautiful, but dated. The button quality in the 992 is fantastic, the switches and dials and screens all feel and look excellent, gives the car a very modern feel. Weirdly, the one exception was the drive mode selector button. Didn't feel as nice as mine, for whatever reason. The vinyl material on the doors and dash feel much softer and nicer than what's in my car, and the new trim with the door handle is lightyears better than the vinyl door side you get when you don't get the leather interior. The leather quality on the seats felt incredibly high. Every angle on the car really works. The light bar is awesome looking, the car sounded great on start up...it had sport exhaust but wasn't on. I think one of my favorite things is how the front fenders have sharper angles that match perfectly with the rear fenders. Very modern, elegant, aggressive look that's still classic 911.

They didn't have any cars with the upgraded LED-matrix lights, the standards aren't my favorite, but they look good on. Overall, I was very very impressed, it's like, a 9 out of 10, with the few weird interior quirks the only issues I have. I didn't get to drive it yet, but just from sitting in it my impression is that it is a 5% shift towards a GT car. Fine by me, but I can see why some would be upset. Looks and interior wise though, it's going to be an easy call to move to a 992 when it's time.
The following 2 users liked this post by ianmSC:
Noah Fect (09-30-2019), pelucidor (10-01-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 08:18 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

Oh also, they didn't say anything about a software hold, but then again the guy was still trying to sell me a car even though I told him I was just there to look at them and am years away from buying a new one.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:23 PM
mathus7
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by jperlinsky
For those held up for a software update, what could be taking so long? Does anyone else think something else is going on here?
Local dealer in Oregon got two 4S coupes in this weekend. Based upon VIN number these were later builds than mine which is being held at port for some unknown reason. Dealer does not know why or when it will be released. At least one other April build car SOLD by this dealer is also being held at port of Benicia. Anyone have any insights?

I went and looked at the two 992s that were received and they looked great - better than in pictures. One was agate grey and the other guards red.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:52 PM
jperlinsky
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mathus7
Local dealer in Oregon got two 4S coupes in this weekend. Based upon VIN number these were later builds than mine which is being held at port for some unknown reason. Dealer does not know why or when it will be released. At least one other April build car SOLD by this dealer is also being held at port of Benicia. Anyone have any insights?

I went and looked at the two 992s that were received and they looked great - better than in pictures. One was agate grey and the other guards red.
This unknown hold is more than a little concerning.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:10 PM
soguinness
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ianmSC
I went to the Beverly Hills dealer on Saturday for a bit to check them out, they had two cabs out, one being washed, a GT Silver coupe and a Gentian Blue coupe. The guy I spoke to said most were sold, but at least one was available and described it as a "frenzy". I hadn't seen a 992 in person, but I was really really impressed. The lines look even better than the 991, on the coupes anyway (not a cab fan), and the sport exhaust pipes looked better in person than in photos. Inside, Gentian Blue looked incredible, but outside I wasn't as impressed. Weird how that works.

For all the comments about the interior, I thought it looked fantastic inside, and the materials seemed very high quality as well. Few downsides, it definitely felt bigger, the seats felt a little wider and there seemed to generally be just a little more room overall. The gear selector thing is TINY. I didn't fully realize how tiny it is, but it is tiny. The design of it is actually very nice and fits with the interior, but it should be bigger. The glossy black plastic trim in the center console is odd too, it just sits there...I don't get it. Definitely not dealbreakers but weird. This car had the GT steering wheel, which looks and feels fantastic, but I didn't move it around to see if it would block the outside screens from my perfect seating position. Still can't get over that in a car with a $140k sticker that's literally a road focused convertible, you don't get full power seats. They were comfortable, but man...sliding backwards in a 140k car is just ridiculous.

Lots of positives though, I got back in my 2018 Carrera T and it immediately felt dated. Still beautiful, but dated. The button quality in the 992 is fantastic, the switches and dials and screens all feel and look excellent, gives the car a very modern feel. Weirdly, the one exception was the drive mode selector button. Didn't feel as nice as mine, for whatever reason. The vinyl material on the doors and dash feel much softer and nicer than what's in my car, and the new trim with the door handle is lightyears better than the vinyl door side you get when you don't get the leather interior. The leather quality on the seats felt incredibly high. Every angle on the car really works. The light bar is awesome looking, the car sounded great on start up...it had sport exhaust but wasn't on. I think one of my favorite things is how the front fenders have sharper angles that match perfectly with the rear fenders. Very modern, elegant, aggressive look that's still classic 911.

They didn't have any cars with the upgraded LED-matrix lights, the standards aren't my favorite, but they look good on. Overall, I was very very impressed, it's like, a 9 out of 10, with the few weird interior quirks the only issues I have. I didn't get to drive it yet, but just from sitting in it my impression is that it is a 5% shift towards a GT car. Fine by me, but I can see why some would be upset. Looks and interior wise though, it's going to be an easy call to move to a 992 when it's time.
Great review! Thank you 🙏 Two questions about your experience:

1) You said the 4-way seats were comfortable. Do you know if they were sport seats or sport plus? Funny but I am downgrading to the 4-way seats from BMW’s M sport seats (from the 328i). I wonder if it is going to too big of a downgrade lol
2) Were you able to see the standard interior and compare to the full interior? Is it worth the $4k upgrade? My car is $126k msrp. I wonder if it will feel too basic and cheap if I go for the basic interior as I had planned.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:13 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,297 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by soguinness
Great review! Thank you 🙏 Two questions about your experience:

1) You said the 4-way seats were comfortable. Do you know if they were sport seats or sport plus? Funny but I am downgrading to the 4-way seats from BMW’s M sport seats (from the 328i). I wonder if it is going to too big of a downgrade lol
2) Were you able to see the standard interior and compare to the full interior? Is it worth the $4k upgrade? My car is $126k msrp. I wonder if it will feel too basic and cheap if I go for the basic interior as I had planned.
I've sat in both and for me the full leather is an absolute must-have. Just like it was on my F80 M3. THAT said, the standard interior didn't feel bad to me so if that's not something that you personally care that much about don't worry about it because its an easy place to shave some meaningful dollars.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:02 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 121 Posts

To redirect this thread, are 2020 Carreras CARB approved.

If yes,
- when were they approved?
- where is the documentation that they were approved as the CARB website is not updated: https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad.../2020/2020.php

if No,
- when will they be approved?
- how are they being delivered to dealers (if the Port has released them to dealers without CARB approval, then it must mean CARB approval is imminent or the cars would sit at the Port)
Old 10-01-2019, 01:42 PM
mathus7
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by PB143
Just spoke to my dealer - car is still sitting at the port in RI....as I’m watching the other local dealer flash their new shiny 992s all over Instagram
Any update? Have you been informed the reason for hold? My car built in first week of April is also on hold at port of Benicia, CA with no reason given.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:43 PM
jperlinsky
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Any update? Have you been informed the reason for hold? My car built in first week of April is also on hold at port of Benicia, CA with no reason given.
I'm in the same position. No update, no explanation, no ETA.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:46 PM
PB143
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

nope...no updates given. They just say “should be any day”. They were surprised to hear the other dealer had taken delivery....they threw a big launch party Friday and were giving people test drives. I ordered in April, car was built in August.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:56 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by PB143
nope...no updates given. They just say “should be any day”. They were surprised to hear the other dealer had taken delivery....they threw a big launch party Friday and were giving people test drives. I ordered in April, car was built in August.
I wonder how the dealers would react if their customers cancelled their orders, and just re-ordered them again. Seems like it would come in quicker that way lol

Last edited by jkautz; 10-01-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:58 PM
PB143
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jkautz
I wonder how the dealers would react if their customers cancelled their ordes, and just re-ordered them again. Seems like it would come in quicker that way lol
I feel bad for the dealers. They are taking all the heat and aren't being given very many answers. On top of that they can't do business. This is my first Porsche, I have been waiting my whole life, I can wait a few more days
The following users liked this post:
Technom3 (10-07-2019)

Quick Reply: CARB State Status